The first episode of HBO's The Last of Us TV show releases to critical acclaim

asddasdasdsadsadasdasdasd.png

HBO has finally debuted its TV adaptation of Naughty Dog's The Last of Us. The hour-and-a-half series premiere kicks off the nine-episode-long season, and despite some skepticism surrounding the teaser trailers, the show is currently getting rave reviews from both critics and audiences. HBO's The Last of Us is currently sitting at a 96% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 9.5/10 on IMDb. Have you gotten a chance to catch the first episode, or is all the acclaim enough to get you to tune in? Let us know in the comments below!

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's interesting you took it as dissing a black girl instead of a critique of the producers of a show.
Black actors have been cast for "white roles" pretty often lately, it isn't just this show. Hell, "Hamilton" is one of the most popular plays/musicals of the past century, and some of the main characters are George Washington and Aaron Burr, both of which were played by black actors. Color has nothing to do with talent.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
True, but I think it's mostly The Walking Dead that poisoned the well since the writers had no idea where to go with it after the first couple seasons. The best shows have their endings planned out before the first episode debuts, and go for like 5-6 seasons max.
Money will tell if it will last 1 year or 15 years. It's an American show after all.

But we need to judge how good the thing is, not how bad it may or may not turn out. Right now it seems impressive.

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Or it can be another "Lord of the Rings: I don't know what I'm doing"

Usually the start seems OK, then by the third episode, the cracks in the wall become too severe.

Book or game adaption have the trouble of having to fill up the parts where the imagination leads, or the players is in control, and that is mostly the problem.

I watched the Witcher and by the end of the first season I had no idea what the story was. There wasn't even the "A-ha" moment to guide the viewer.

There are good adaptions out there, like Reacher, The Expanse and Dexter, but they make their own thing from the start, while leaving some breadcrumbs to the original works.

This might work if they don't try to make a bunch of real life acted cutscenes pasted together.

drazenm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know dude, I saw a person dissing a black girl for not being white. Seems pretty racist to me...
That right there what you mention is the sickness of our society, constantly emphasising 1 (single) cases and with echo it sounds as hundreds, thousands, millions etc. To me it looks like everything is racist these days BUT there isn't racism against white people LOL!

All this is so laughable.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
An extremely solid season opener - if it can keep it up it's possible that it may actually be a better version of the story than the game itself.

Thing's are looking up for VG adapatations lately - I was also pretty impressed with the first couple of episodes of the NieR Automata animé.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I caught the first episode just felt like any other old zombie clone out there.
That's what I thought too and was disappointed because I expected to be better, different, creative.. and original. I'll try again to see if I can get used to it because I quite like Pedro Pascal.

Haymose

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did screw it up with the very first character.
Sarah in the game is a blond haired white girl.
In the show they went PC and put a arfo black girl.
Everyone else is good so why did they screw up Sarah so badly?
Im wondering whos next to get screwed up and PC changed.
Im surprised Joel is a man and not a black woman.
Thats the way the world has gone.
Tell me you’re a racist without actually telling me you’re a racist.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tell me you’re a racist without actually telling me you’re a racist.
What is racist about calling people out when they intentionally swap a character's race, just to appeal to the woke mob, sobbing their collective hearts out and crying for "representation"?

Instead of, I dunno, writing a new and unique character, Hollywood likes to just take whatever worked and just switch up the gender/race.

We see how well that is working out for Velma. We saw how well that worked for Ghostbusters. Annie.

Calling out racism doesn't make the person calling them out a racist.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jesus, who hurt you? Sarah's race has absolutely nothing to do with the story and contributes nothing to the plot. It's such a minor change. I guess you didn't know that a white man can have a dark-skinned child? Stop being a racist and grow the fuck up.
So anyone who'd expect the character to be his/her original portray is now somehow a racist? Sarah Miller was of European ancestry, and on this show she's African, that's race-swapping. There's tons of race-swapping on Hollywood movies and shows so it's honestly nothing new, though still disappointing.

The Ghost of the Shell movie Hollywood made also race-swapped from a Japanese female to a European actress (Scarlett Johansson).

And another example: Disney's Pinocchio 2022 - The fairy god mother was switched from a blue eyed, blonde European woman to a bald (I mean she is, just look below) African woman.

7S25cDl.jpg

This isn't "racist" or anything, it's just stating the fact that characters have been race-swapped.

And if you want another example, just look at the new show Velma:

Scooby Doo isn't part of this show and maybe that's for the best as he'd probably be dumbed-down somehow.

P.S. Dragon Ball Evolution also race-swapped Goku and even if Son Goku in that movie had been Chinese or Japanese (could work with either nationality) it'd still be a garbage movie. I watched it dubbed in Japanese and I enjoyed the dub more than the motion picture itself.

playstays_shun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pedro more convincing as Joel than what I saw in snippets and trailers so far, but I don't know -- I like the show but I'm not at all ready to call it 'incredible' or anything and found parts of it boring tbh

Then again, pilots should always be taken with a grain of salt for what will follow and have lots of exposition to establish

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto