HBO debuts the first trailer for The Last of Us TV show

More than two years ago, HBO announced that they would be making a TV series adaptation of Naughty Dog's video game The Last of Us. Since then, Pedro Pascal has been cast as Joel, and Bella Ramsey as Ellie, with the slightest of a glimpse at the show since, in brief teasers and posters. Now, HBO has released a full teaser trailer for The Last of Us series adaptation, with about a minute of new content. Previously, we've heard from Craig Mazin, the producer of the show, who claimed that this adaptation will fill certain events from the game out, and will serve "not to undo, but to enhance" the story and characters from The Last of Us. For now, there's no exact release for the series, other than 2023.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Last of Us sponsored by Walmart featuring Walmart Joel and Walmart Ellie

If only actors existed that looked identical to the characters and could be hired to look just like them...

• Wow
Reactions: Plazorn

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If only actors existed that looked identical to the characters and could be hired to look just like them...
Imagine how difficult it would be to find someone of your specifications. There are approximately 200,000 actors in Hollywood, with this number, the chances of finding even remotely similar actors are low. So be glad that they didn’t have to do entirely different characters

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal

Pedro ain’t Walmart, more target. Ellie on the other hand.. doesn’t look anything like Ellie

The point is not for them to have the same face as the game characters. The points is for them to act like them or whatever artistical interpretation they chose to have, as to represent what they mean to represent. We didn't see their auditions, so we won't discover how well they play the part or contribute to the part until it comes out.

Reactions: Henx and Marc_LFD

NeoGranzon

シュウ 「グラビトロンカノン 発射!」
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
As soon as it comes out i will see it,even if i don't have the possibility to play this title because i don't have the console.

mrgone

old man
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Pedro Pascal and Bella Ramsey are 2 great actors and are a great choice!
I admit i know Bella only from GoT, where i loved her portrayal of Lyanana Mormont
but Pedro is great where ever i saw him: GoT, Narcos, Kingsman2, Triple Frontier and of course the Mandalorian

Last edited by mrgone,

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love Pedro Pascal ever since I saw him in Narcos so I'm definitely happy. Both great choices!

Had it been Netflix, Disney, Paramount, or Amazon, they'd have ruined the show by trying to "improve" it. What a shame what Paramount did to the Halo show (it was like watching a CW series).

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This same dumb argument surfaced with the last Resident Evil film, and I'll say what I said then... if you want "cosplay" go to comicon, if you want a good adaptation you have to trust that the show runners have cast the best people for the job... and that wouldn't be cosplayers or mocap actors.
In the case of the RE film, yeah it wasn't great (although arguably better than the Paul Anderson series of films), but that wasn't due to the casting.
I'll reserve judgement on this particular adaptation until I've seen at least the first episode.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh shit they lost me right here
1664356600854.png

Kotomine Kirei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Imagine how difficult it would be to find someone of your specifications. There are approximately 200,000 actors in Hollywood, with this number, the chances of finding even remotely similar actors are low. So be glad that they didn’t have to do entirely different characters

I have seen a lot of actors that are close enough to be passable for certain video game characters, and some of the characters even seem like they were designed to look like some people, but they almost always end up finding people who look nothing like them (probably for cost reasons, but even so, they could have found closer-looking actors).

Some actors and characters that look similar:
Nathan Fillion and Nathan Drake
Karl Urban and Commander Shepard
Ron Perlman and Admiral Hood
Keith David, Carl Weathers and Sergeant Johnson
Gerard Butler and Geralt of Rivia
Vin Diesel and Shadow Man

The point is not for them to have the same face as the game characters. The points is for them to act like them or whatever artistical interpretation they chose to have, as to represent what they mean to represent. We didn't see their auditions, so we won't discover how well they play the part or contribute to the part until it comes out.
This same dumb argument surfaced with the last Resident Evil film, and I'll say what I said then... if you want "cosplay" go to comicon, if you want a good adaptation you have to trust that the show runners have cast the best people for the job... and that wouldn't be cosplayers or mocap actors.
In the case of the RE film, yeah it wasn't great (although arguably better than the Paul Anderson series of films), but that wasn't due to the casting.
I'll reserve judgement on this particular adaptation until I've seen at least the first episode.

The point of having actors similar to the characters is to make it so that fans of the games can more easily identify characters, so that the characters look right, and so that the roles are proper.
Just imagine if Peter Parker was played by Dwayne Johnson, if Clark Kent was played by Dave Bautista, or if Blade was played by Adam Sandler.
...They could probably do okay, but it would be really weird to see them acting as those characters.
My point though is that characters are often more than just their personalities, and when you look at an actor, they usually have certain qualities that do not always mesh with an established role.

Reactions: Plazorn

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The point of having actors similar to the characters is to make it so that fans of the games can more easily identify characters, so that the characters look right, and so that the roles are proper.
That's no point at all. Fans of the games will know who the characters are - no identifying required.
Anyone that's going to get butthurt by the cast not looking identical to the original property is probably not the demographic that's being targeted. If you care more about the cast looking identical than a good adaptation being made then you should just stick to the videogame... Afterall, you spend the majority of time in TLOS looking at the back of Joel's head! Pretty sure the back of Pedro's head doesn't look too dissimilar :)
People need to have faith that the actors being cast are the best choices for what the roles call for... And it's not like these castings are dramatically different than the characters they're based on - unlike the majority of Netflix adaptations we're seeing where they're forcing diversity and gender swapping characters for no reason other than SJW points.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha so many edgy people in this thread. Yawn.

Looking forward to this! Looks like a big budget has been allocated. Could be a great mini-series if they don't drag it out ala the Walking Dead.
Hopefully just three or four seasons.

I've been watching Cobra Kai and a final sixth season is what it needs. Otherwise, they'll ruin the show and its reputation.

Reactions: shaunj66

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Push it :creep: