The Game of Thrones (HBO TV Series)

NGrapeD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just watched Episode 1, part way through 2. Seems really similar to the books, loving the actor that plays Tyrion =]

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never read the books (been sitting in my "to buy" list for years though) but I did get to see the TV show (first and second ep so far) and I am a great fan of complex plots, a lot of what HBO do and fantasy in general (no real preference for any subgenre).

If it carries on like this HBO will have done themselves proud and maybe even added something up their with the best they ever did (sidenote I have missed several big series from them or only watched them well after the fact). I just hope they get to end it properly (although I did read it has been renewed for series 2 already) this time.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Series 1 ended last night/this morning. I will try to keep it spoiler light but no promises as to their absence.

After about episode 4 my impatience got the better of me and I am now sitting about two thirds of the way through the third book (it gets nuts from here on in) although I partially spoiled that for myself. I am however not sure if that was a mistake, certainly it was one of the best book adaptations I have yet seen but in some ways it did make the series risk becoming a sort of cliff notes.
Of course what I read into it might have been minor details and it could be a nice example of the mona lisa effect (everybody sees what they want to see/something different) and it looks like they could have done with some more budget at various points (granted it was clearly not without hesitation they went in for that and omitting meant less need for high end CG or animals although to my mind it came at the cost of some character development) not to mention the tendency to avoid exposition was interesting (the book has a fair bit among the dialogue where this largely omits it* although on the flipside some of the extra things brought clarity to things that did not have much until far later) although I note they failed to explain the universe which is nice as that is a tendency of some things.

Things I found odd.
The books were very much told from a point of view type method rather than ghost with a camera so many shows go in for, there was a fair bit of overlap but even then it was somewhat downplayed.
Some more extras or painting a few might have been good.
Most of the minor characters were kept (even if they were not named and only glimpses shown) but the Blackfish was nowhere to be seen.

Most of Drogo's and Daenerys relationship.
The trip down through the mountains/vale (granted this was largely exposition). Also Bronn.
The calling of the banners.
Lots of stuff with the wolves (although again animals)
The wights.

I suppose I will finish by saying some argued several extra episodes were needed to which I would argue some scenes might have warranted being a bit more fleshed out but I am not sure an extra episode or three would have been necessary.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Can't believe this topic isn't on the frontpage 24/7. Heard so much about it, I just started yesterday with the series, very impressive so far, especially in 720p ;)

iluvfuzz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've seen all of season one and all the episodes that are out so far except for like the last fifteen minutes of the last one.
I really like it. I don't want much tv but this series has gained my interest and kept it. I've also started to read the first book.
To those who want to read the books, so far there are five of them and at least two more planned. The first one is over six hundred pages while the other four are more than a thousand. So if you like to read and enjoy fantasy as well as the tv series, you'll really enjoy the long read.
I've noticed differences from the first book from the first season as well. I'll post them once I figure out how to do spoiler tags.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
First, for the books, don't try to gauge the pages. Depending on the edition and such that you get, expect around 700 - 900 pages per book. They are all long, to say the least. I'm on the third book now, and none of them have been even remotely difficult to get through. Fantastic series. I suggest it to any and all. As for the show, I watched most of the first episode, but I became too frustrated by the near indistinguishable characters to continue watching past episode one. After the book put so much time into making the characters unique from the beginning, I was disappointed to see that the personalities didn't shine through just as quickly in the show.

I may give it another go at some point, but I have other shows to catch up on.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I love the show, except for the annoyingly long opening credit sequence !
Though I'm a bit disappointed by season 2 so far. Things are slow, although we are finally starting to see a bit of a plot.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
I really love how they do everything so similar to the book.

As for the book, I'm still going through the first one, I have to be careful not to watch too much as not to spoil the book.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really love how they do everything so similar to the book.

As for the book, I'm still going through the first one, I have to be careful not to watch too much as not to spoil the book.

Closer then most things, that's for sure. Even though they've certainly made some interesting deviations from the book this season - but I guess it all presumably ends up in the same place.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Lol @ 1 year old thread. Definitly a awesome serie. Being a anime watching only fan, i couldnt believe it myself that i ended up watching the whole thing up until the newest from S2. Talking about me here who only watches anime lol. Oh well i did watch all of Heroes too.

@[member='Costello']: PFFT! Who gives a shit about plot when we have this "Mother of Dragons" who everyone is drooling over.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just finished watching the season 2 finale. It is still brilliant. I need to read the books.
Looks as if season 3 will be dragons VS the dead

edit:Woops

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I just finished watching it as well. Pretty good, although Season 2 starts to stray away from the books. I've finished the first book, halfway through the second and I've already noticed tons of differences. Will hopefully be done with the second by the end of the week, I'm curious to see where everything goes in the third.

Reactions: krazykracker1288

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah I just finished watching it as well. Pretty good, although Season 2 starts to stray away from the books. I've finished the first book, halfway through the second and I've already noticed tons of differences. Will hopefully be done with the second by the end of the week, I'm curious to see where everything goes in the third.
Lack of actors i believe because GAme of Thrones is the first series to feature so many actors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)