Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

qohelet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Ok, here's an update. I googled and apparently with the steps that I didn't understand I was supposed to re-unzip the three archives onto the SD-Card.
Now it works.
However... I am not sure what to do with that.

I selected Atmosphere CFW from hekate, got an Atmosphere bootsceen, then a Nintendo Switch Bootscreen - and the console started into the Stock OS. Restarting gives me the Atmosphere-Logo and then the switch boots back into the StockOs.
I can't start the console any more regularly (the tinfoil-RCM (hommade) is still in place - when was I supposed to remove it?).
However I can start the console with TegraRCM into Hekate. Also, when it's plugged into my notbook Hkeate 5.9 starts.

What exactly is happening here?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, here's an update. I googled and apparently with the steps that I didn't understand I was supposed to re-unzip the three archives onto the SD-Card.
Now it works.
However... I am not sure what to do with that.

I selected Atmosphere CFW from hekate, got an Atmosphere bootsceen, then a Nintendo Switch Bootscreen - and the console started into the Stock OS. Restarting gives me the Atmosphere-Logo and then the switch boots back into the StockOs.
I can't start the console any more regularly (the tinfoil-RCM (hommade) is still in place - when was I supposed to remove it?).
However I can start the console with TegraRCM into Hekate. Also, when it's plugged into my notbook Hkeate 5.9 starts.

What exactly is happening here?
This thread is the correct location for common issues.

I recommend going over the guide again. Your hekate_ipl.ini didn’t seem to be configured properly. You are likely booting CFW on Sysnand for both. Check your Firmware version in Setting and see if it ends with (S)ysnand or (E)munand or no letter at all.

swimmy94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying to get RaidCrawler for Pokemon SV to work for a few days now and I can't figure out what I'm going wrong.

I really want to host shiny raids (legit ones) but I have 2 issues-
1. I have no problem connecting to RaidCraawler and finding a shiny den, all of that works just fine. I just can't get online to host it.
2. If I save, quit, and then restart my switch normally I can get online but when I boot up the game it's like I never saved and I'm back where I started.

I know this is a noob question and it's probably obvious what is getting in my way but some help would be much appreciated!

Sundaybrawl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just recently upgrade to an OLED and I want to keep my launch Switch perma-hacked. I've removed any profile that has an NNID already and was thinking of just migrating over to use SysMMC instead of an Emu.

How would I go about removing the Emu partition from the SD card so I have the full storage size of the card? Can Hekate handle that and removing the partition or do I need to format the whole SD card to do so?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just recently upgrade to an OLED and I want to keep my launch Switch perma-hacked. I've removed any profile that has an NNID already and was thinking of just migrating over to use SysMMC instead of an Emu.

How would I go about removing the Emu partition from the SD card so I have the full storage size of the card? Can Hekate handle that and removing the partition or do I need to format the whole SD card to do so?
You MIGHT be able to use something like minitool partition wizard to reclaim space. Having an emunand gives you a second chance should anything try to blow up you *nand (it would hit your emunand instead and not brick). 30 G isn't a whole lot of space to get back. Should probably buy a bigger SDCard instead?

Sundaybrawl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You MIGHT be able to use something like minitool partition wizard to reclaim space. Having an emunand gives you a second chance should anything try to blow up you *nand (it would hit your emunand instead and not brick). 30 G isn't a whole lot of space to get back. Should probably buy a bigger SDCard instead?
True, didn't think of that at first. Might just be better to make a new one and go from there. It's a 128gb card at the moment and if I really need something bigger it's not too much of a hassle to swap.

Reactions: binkinator

CassioAug

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Is there any website with a database where I can check games and, mostly, patches firmware requirements? To check before updating a game, making sure it won't stop working if I'm not in the latest fw?

Or at least a database showing which firmware is required for an specific key generation...

Last edited by CassioAug,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any website with a database where I can check games and, mostly, patches firmware requirements? To check before updating a game, making sure it won't stop working if I'm not in the latest fw?

Or at least a database showing which firmware is required for an specific key generation...
More than you asked for:

Game IDs — database of switch games along with title ID, FW version, file name and more.
titledblookup — listing game titles with titleid
Switch Key Generations — List of relationship between FW to Key Generations
Sysmodule TitleIDs — List of Title IDs (aka Program IDs) for system and homebrew

Forgot about this one:

https://gbatemp.net/blogs/fuses-gc-fw-key-versions.19175/

Reactions: CassioAug

CassioAug

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
More than you asked for:

Game IDs — database of switch games along with title ID, FW version, file name and more.
titledblookup — listing game titles with titleid
Switch Key Generations — List of relationship between FW to Key Generations
Sysmodule TitleIDs — List of Title IDs (aka Program IDs) for system and homebrew

Forgot about this one:

https://gbatemp.net/blogs/fuses-gc-fw-key-versions.19175/
Thanks, I appreciate your help.

I realized that, in practice, I'm still confused though. For example (and really just an example), how can I know what firmware is required for the last Mario Kart 8 Deluxe patch? Or for the last Eastward patch?

I tried looking them up now, but I can't figure it out. lmao
Is there any easy way for this?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, I appreciate your help.

I realized that, in practice, I'm still confused though. For example (and really just an example), how can I know what firmware is required for the last Mario Kart 8 Deluxe patch? Or for the last Eastward patch?

I tried looking them up now, but I can't figure it out. lmao
Is there any easy way for this?
Go to GameIDs.

Search for the title you want to see:

43CEBE94-23EF-4242-9DE7-C4BFD9C6BB08.jpeg

Slide over to find the required FW:

B00A1736-0238-43A7-B66E-3EC8BE8EC6B4.jpeg

Post automatically merged:

You can also get full information before you attempt to install it from the source NSP/XCI file while on your PC using these:

• XCI-Explorer — display information about game files
  • NX Game Info — display information about nsp, xci or installed games
  • NXFileViewer — display information about nsp or xci

Last edited by binkinator,
Reactions: CassioAug

izenn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Applet mode is triggered when you run something as an applet such as the Album. Games, such as .NSP files, are not treated as applets and therefore do not run in Applet Mode thus are able to use more RAM. Also, I wouldn't know what URL its looking for since I never use that app. Instead, I use TinWoo Installer which I think is a much better homebrew in my opinion because its simpler to use and never gives me or others any issues.
i'll have to give tinwoo a try -- i've seen it mentioned, but have always just stuck with tinfoil. i'm thinking it is trying to check for updates and download a new copy of the titles json -- my thought was to use the atmosphere hosts file and redirect it to my docker container that is handling the tinfoil back end

Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'll have to give tinwoo a try -- i've seen it mentioned, but have always just stuck with tinfoil. i'm thinking it is trying to check for updates and download a new copy of the titles json -- my thought was to use the atmosphere hosts file and redirect it to my docker container that is handling the tinfoil back end

Aha…I originally thought you meant the address Tinfoil tries to hit for updates…the heck if I know! You’re just looking for how it hits shops, right?

If it’s the latter then you can create a new Files entry in Tinfoil that speaks http and hits…well, anywhere you want, including your nsp-indexer server. I’ve done quite a bit with nsp-indexer, including testing with MrDude to get Tinwoo working with it (DBI works well with it too BTW). I kinda let the efforts slide by the wayside because I was running into capacity/timeout issues w/ a large game stash.

Switchlad

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Obviously a bit new, but I've run into some trouble errors in regards to setting up homebrew and launchers, is this the place to ask and seek help? Would appreciate some help.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Obviously a bit new, but I've run into some trouble errors in regards to setting up homebrew and launchers, is this the place to ask and seek help? Would appreciate some help.
You’re in the right spot. No need to question if you can ask a question. Fire away!

Switchlad

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
After following two different guides for homebrewing (Needles Mods and mbcrump), I got as far to launching hekata on the Switch. But 3 problems arise.
1. Upon boot up it says "SD Card Issues Check. / The SD Card is initialized in 1-bit mode! This might mean the detached or broken connectors! You might want to check Console Info - Micro SD"
issue 1.jpg

I assume this means there's an issue with SD card slot, so I'll try to get that fixed, but if not, any ideas? Wtf is 1-bit mode? And checking the console info didnt help or tell me much.

2. After that box it says "Nyx Configuration Failed to save Configuration to SD Card"
I do not know what this means, perhaps it's just a issue caused by issue 1, but if it's a different issue, I have no idea what this entails or how to fix it.
issue 2.jpg

3. When going into launch it says "No main boot entries found... Check that bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini has boot entries or use more configs button for more entries"
issue 3.jpg

Again maybe it's an issue caused by issue 1? But I download and ripped the SDSetup, Atmosphere, Hekate folders and what not and copied them into the SD card as said, no video I watched gave any other steps...

Also "Failed to init SD!" if I go into other configs. I think this might all be an issue with the Switch's SD slot, but I'm not sure (The SD card itself is fine tho, never used, works in other devices, PC reads it fine and is Fat32 as the guides said to do). But if that isn't the, case or if the issues could be caused by something else, I'm drawing a blank. Sorry if this is asking to much.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After following two different guides for homebrewing (Needles Mods and mbcrump), I got as far to launching hekata on the Switch. But 3 problems arise.
1. Upon boot up it says "SD Card Issues Check. / The SD Card is initialized in 1-bit mode! This might mean the detached or broken connectors! You might want to check Console Info - Micro SD"
View attachment 343542
I assume this means there's an issue with SD card slot, so I'll try to get that fixed, but if not, any ideas? Wtf is 1-bit mode? And checking the console info didnt help or tell me much.

2. After that box it says "Nyx Configuration Failed to save Configuration to SD Card"
I do not know what this means, perhaps it's just a issue caused by issue 1, but if it's a different issue, I have no idea what this entails or how to fix it.
View attachment 343543
3. When going into launch it says "No main boot entries found... Check that bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini has boot entries or use more configs button for more entries"
View attachment 343544
Again maybe it's an issue caused by issue 1? But I download and ripped the SDSetup, Atmosphere, Hekate folders and what not and copied them into the SD card as said, no video I watched gave any other steps...

Also "Failed to init SD!" if I go into other configs. I think this might all be an issue with the Switch's SD slot, but I'm not sure (The SD card itself is fine tho, never used, works in other devices, PC reads it fine and is Fat32 as the guides said to do). But if that isn't the, case or if the issues could be caused by something else, I'm drawing a blank. Sorry if this is asking to much.
All of these are likely due to the 1-bit SDCard failure. There are typically multiple data lines to an SDCard. Yours is saying it only has 1 but it will try it’s best. It’s not good enough communication rate for operating a Switch. Your only option is to fix your SDCard.

Before we have you run out and buy a new SDCard reader, please download h2testw and run a test on your card while it’s plugged in to your PC.

If the card comes back bad, you will need to buy a new one.
If the card comes back good, you will need to buy a new SDCard reader and install it.

Hopefully that’s it because the next component in this chain will be the FCP connector,on the motherboard itself and that’s a bit more in depth.

We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it.

vicstar19

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Need help with JKSV and restoring my Skyward Sword backup from NxNandmanager.
This is the guide is used, I’m currently on the final step:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/recovering-games-saves-from-nand-using-nxnandmanager-and-jksv.620758/

So I was able to retrieve my Hades and Animal Crossing Backups, but not my Skyward Sword one. There’s 3 files and I’m not sure which it is. And the one that I think it is, when I restore on JKSV, it tells me the file was corrupted. I’m going to show the 3 possible files that my skyward save could be. One of these could be Mario Kart 8 backup because I tried to back it up as well (i’m assuming it’s the larger one). When restoring the large one on JKSV my game crashes when creating a save at the beginning so I’m assuming that’s the wrong one (MK8).

When I try to restore the last file (the one with 4 screenshot files) my Skyward Sword loads up, but it tells me my file is corrupted. I’m hoping I just did the process wrong, but can anyone confirm if my file could be corrupted

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Hello again! Recently I've asked about microSD card brand that I should buy and both SanDisk and Samsung were mentioned. I've found Samsung Evo Select and SanDisk Extreme for roughly the same price, though SanDisk has higher read speed than Samsung (160MBps vs 100MBps). I usually lean towards Samsung when it comes to memory cards since I had SanDisk USB memory sticks failing on me few times in the past. I wonder, for those of you that have SanDisk microSD cards (this one specifically, if possible), how do they perform on Switch? Does Switch benefit from SanDisk Extreme's higher read speed or is its port limited up to some specific speed?

I'd rather buy Samsung just to be sure, but if Switch really benefits from SanDisk's higher read speed, I'd buy that one instead.

Last edited by Blythe93,

Switchlad

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
switch sd 1.png

The end result from the reading said no errors (It also said the extra little bit of data it didn't read is reserved data and it's normal and to continue with the reading anyway).

In which case, I assume the switch part needs replacing? (The SD card was a 128gb sansdisk Micro SD). To note, I ran a few tests with the Switch just to see if it could pick it up at all, and it did once or twice but most of the time it said the SD card couldn't be read even without trying to modify (Error 2016-0641). I appreciate the help.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
View attachment 343561

The end result from the reading said no errors (It also said the extra little bit of data it didn't read is reserved data and it's normal and to continue with the reading anyway).

In which case, I assume the switch part needs replacing? (The SD card was a 128gb sansdisk Micro SD). To note, I ran a few tests with the Switch just to see if it could pick it up at all, and it did once or twice but most of the time it said the SD card couldn't be read even without trying to modify (Error 2016-0641). I appreciate the help.

That’s good and bad news…good that your expensive SDCard doesn’t need to be replaced.

Bad that a cheap SDCard reader needs to be purchased from Amazon (or cheaper but potentially slow to shIp one from AliExpress) and you’re going to need to open up your switch.

Here’s the iFixit for the process. They also sell the SDCard if you want to support their cause:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nintendo+Switch+Micro+SD+Card+Reader+Replacement/113031

While you are in there, take a look at the FPC connector on the motherboard to make sure all its pins are in order…in case that’s next…

Hello again! Recently I've asked about microSD card brand that I should buy and both SanDisk and Samsung were mentioned. I've found Samsung Evo Select and SanDisk Extreme for roughly the same price, though SanDisk has higher read speed than Samsung (160MBps vs 100MBps). I usually lean towards Samsung when it comes to memory cards since I had SanDisk USB memory sticks failing on me few times in the past. I wonder, for those of you that have SanDisk microSD cards (this one specifically, if possible), how do they perform on Switch? Does Switch benefit from SanDisk Extreme's higher read speed or is its port limited up to some specific speed?

I'd rather buy Samsung just to be sure, but if Switch really benefits from SanDisk's higher read speed, I'd buy that one instead.

Anything averaging over 95 will do. The rest is wasted on the Switch. I have several of the various SanDisk cards, including the Extreme. The cheaper ones run almost the same as the expensive ones in the Switch. The Samsung Evo is a very solid card but they don’t come in 1TB (yet?). If you prefer their brand and they have the size you want, go with Samsung by all means!

Need help with JKSV and restoring my Skyward Sword backup from NxNandmanager.
This is the guide is used, I’m currently on the final step:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/recovering-games-saves-from-nand-using-nxnandmanager-and-jksv.620758/

So I was able to retrieve my Hades and Animal Crossing Backups, but not my Skyward Sword one. There’s 3 files and I’m not sure which it is. And the one that I think it is, when I restore on JKSV, it tells me the file was corrupted. I’m going to show the 3 possible files that my skyward save could be. One of these could be Mario Kart 8 backup because I tried to back it up as well (i’m assuming it’s the larger one). When restoring the large one on JKSV my game crashes when creating a save at the beginning so I’m assuming that’s the wrong one (MK8).

When I try to restore the last file (the one with 4 screenshot files) my Skyward Sword loads up, but it tells me my file is corrupted. I’m hoping I just did the process wrong, but can anyone confirm if my file could be corrupted
Take a look at your Nand backup, if you still have it, so you can match the 00000000000000XX number to a titleID in NXNandManager. It will remove some of the guesswork.

You can also play the freshly installed game, create a new backup of the base game, and compare the number and names of files. You can see the names of the backups are vastly different from each sample. Your new backup should help you take the guesswork out of which one to restore as the structure and naming convention will match.

E: make sure your game update version matches the old version exactly as well.

Last edited by binkinator,
Reactions: Blythe93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its very simple. Below the page, you will find an option to see the list of staff members.