Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

hiberto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was having problems with Atmosphere (1.6.2) giving me error 2002-4364 and couldn't find a solution (partition based emuMMC). So I bought a new sd card and created a new emuMMC on it and backed everything up on my old sd card root and also dumped entire emuMMC partition (1 file) using NxNandManager and also mounted and copied the contents of the SYSTEM and USER partitions. I copied over the contents of my backed up Nintendo folder containing my installed games to the same location on the newly created emuMMC partition but the games aren't showing up on the main home screen.

Am I able to copy over the tickets from my backed up emuMMC partition, SYSTEM, or USER partitions so that these games appear? If so, what folder are the tickets located in or how would I do this? Or if not, what do I need to do to get these games to appear? I have literally backed up everything so I would think it would be possible somehow, I just don't know how. I started trying to find all the NSP files again in case there's no other way but to reinstall the games that way, but I had many and it's proving to be quite tedious.

Or if anyone knows how to fix error 2002-4364 in Atmosphere, that would work as I still have the complete filesystems intact on that card. Thanks!

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No, people have been banned without touching any .XCI or .NSP files. The banning hub has a full list of things that are likely problematic. Its also not 1 or 2 people; its close to 100 the last time I checked. These aren't isolated incidents.
Yeah, I'm looking into it from time to time. But it's user reported data, and some might not know enough to know thing x or y is important and problematic, so its not reported.
A lot of aio packets also are build directly for piracy, and don't really setup anything with online use in mind. Some even blanked sys and emunand always by default, potentially resulting in weird logs in system components. Not sure if that's actually logged somewhere that's not blocked by atmosphere through.
Many aoi packages and tutorial are also more complex, then simple homebrew only setups, even just because they often recommend an emunand, adding a potential sources of errors leading to mismatched telemetry and so on.

That banning hub thread is also pretty old, so it has some reports from early on, when atmosphere was not blocking error report creation for example, and sxos for example didn't include error and creport blocking by default.

I also never stated that only xcis/nsps are problematic, it was just an example, I stated that just basic cfw with atmospheres defaults is pretty safe to use.
Also for some people self installing homebrew like tinfoil might also not be seen as xci/nsp, even through it's effectively the same. This is why I sometimes also include something like "or any other applications installed to the homescreen" when listing things that are problematic.
A more complete list of things that are very likely unsafe is in the reswitched Discord, and I'm more inclined to trust the atmosphere devs, then random user reports.
Especially when it matches what I experience with my family and friends switches, which are modded for use with sysdvr and sysclk while going online.

Reactions: 4d1xlaan

OtoshiGamiPrime

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this is the place to ask but is there a SMT V Vengeance mod that eliminates the "omagatoki critical" skill. Also where to find the "hard lucifer" mod if it ever gets ported to Vengeance from base V.

Last edited by OtoshiGamiPrime,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks also im still at 17.0, should i update it my official firwmare?
I only recommend updating firmware if there is a game or update that needs a higher firmware. Otherwise, you do not need to update your firmware at the moment.
Yeah, I'm looking into it from time to time. But it's user reported data, and some might not know enough to know thing x or y is important and problematic, so its not reported.
A lot of aio packets also are build directly for piracy, and don't really setup anything with online use in mind. Some even blanked sys and emunand always by default, potentially resulting in weird logs in system components. Not sure if that's actually logged somewhere that's not blocked by atmosphere through.
Many aoi packages and tutorial are also more complex, then simple homebrew only setups, even just because they often recommend an emunand, adding a potential sources of errors leading to mismatched telemetry and so on.

That banning hub thread is also pretty old, so it has some reports from early on, when atmosphere was not blocking error report creation for example, and sxos for example didn't include error and creport blocking by default.

I also never stated that only xcis/nsps are problematic, it was just an example, I stated that just basic cfw with atmospheres defaults is pretty safe to use.
Also for some people self installing homebrew like tinfoil might also not be seen as xci/nsp, even through it's effectively the same. This is why I sometimes also include something like "or any other applications installed to the homescreen" when listing things that are problematic.
A more complete list of things that are very likely unsafe is in the reswitched Discord, and I'm more inclined to trust the atmosphere devs, then random user reports.
Especially when it matches what I experience with my family and friends switches, which are modded for use with sysdvr and sysclk while going online.
It is as thorough as one can get from the general community. The only way to really narrow it down is to get a list of all homebrew apps a user has used but that list can get really long and even veteran users can struggle to remember everything they've installed so its not a fair question. Also, while majority of reports are old, there are still reports that have come in within the last year so its as much relevant as any other source of information.

I also really need to reiterate this point because you, as well as many others, are guilty of this belief. ReSwitched is not gospel. There have been multiple times when they have been wrong such as with the capabilities of the TX team so there is legitimate reason to doubt even their knowledge base. Not to mention that they are not the ones who determine who gets banned but Nintendo but unless one of them secretly works for Nintendo, we will never found out the criteria for bans. Therefore as a community, we are forced to rely on learning information about bans secondhand because telemetry only matters if it results in a measurable outcome which is a ban. The same thought process was used during the 3DS era so dismissing the community seems like a step backward especially when, as I said, these reports are in the hundreds. You might be able to argue that one or two users may have misreported information but with this large of a sample size, either you have to acknowledge there might be truth in the reports or its a large group effort to misrepresent ban data which is borderline conspiracy.

You also have to understand that I am not saying you use Atmosphere, you will get banned. I always say there is a chance because that is the objective truth. What that chance is was never my intention nor something I planned on discovering. Its like the chances of being struck by lightning, attacked by a shark, or contracting COVID. Some people think those chances are negligible or downright nonexistent while others will take precautions for fear of becoming the next statistic. The point is the chance still exists and should not be dismissed because it has not personally happened to you. Look at the exFAT issues. Many people dismissed it because it had not happened to them yet but once it did, they became a believer. You are doing the same thing as those people. While your friends and family may have been lucky in not getting banned, I have observed the opposite but also my fair share of people who have avoided the ban hammer despite doing supposedly "ban-worthy actions". So who is more likely to be right, the stance that dismisses hundreds of people within the community or the one that acknowledges multiple outcomes?

hiberto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should check in your emummc.ini whether your path and nintendo_path are correct i.e. set to the correct folders. I remember having to adjust that when I moved my stuff to the new SD card.
thanks yes I did check that and it's good. I'm guessing it has to do with the tickets somehow? I have backed them up when I did a full dump of the old SD card hidden partition. I just would need to know what folder they're stored in and how to get them to match up with the games in the Nintendo folder on the new SD card

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks yes I did check that and it's good. I'm guessing it has to do with the tickets somehow? I have backed them up when I did a full dump of the old SD card hidden partition. I just would need to know what folder they're stored in and how to get them to match up with the games in the Nintendo folder on the new SD card
If you have the tickets in .tik files, you can reinstall them with dbi for example

hiberto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have the tickets in .tik files, you can reinstall them with dbi for example
OK maybe I am mistaken as I thought the .nca files were the tickets. I don't see any .tik files in any any folders on the backed up SYSTEM or USER partitions, only a lot of .nca files. How would I get the .tik files or where would these be located?

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Mozambique
thanks also im still at 17.0, should i update it my official firwmare?

This is only a partial list of games that require 18.0 or higher. There are many, many more but i stopped keeping track because the list is already long enough and plenty of popular titles do require 18+.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown
Braid: Anniversary Edition
Animal Well
Earth Defense Force: World Brothers 2
Hauntii
Inazuma Eleven: Victory Road (Demo & Open Beta)
Dave the Diver
The Glass Staircase
Shiren the Wanderer The Mystery Dungeon of Serpentcoil Island
Hot Wheels Unleashed 2: Turbocharged
Hitman: Blood Money Reprisal
Trombone Champ
MLB The Show 24
NBA 2K24
Tales of Kenzera: Zau
The Legend of Legacy HD Remastered
Octopath Traveller
Little Kitty, Big City
Naaruto x Boruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm Connections
Skullgirls: Second Encore
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron HD Remaster
Splatoon 3
Melty Blood: Type Lumina
Grounded
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Arcade: Wrath of the Mutants
My Time at Sandrock
Grime: Definitive Edition
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
No Man's Sky
Mortal Kombat 1

4d1xlaan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK maybe I am mistaken as I thought the .nca files were the tickets. I don't see any .tik files in any any folders on the backed up SYSTEM or USER partitions, only a lot of .nca files. How would I get the .tik files or where would these be located?
I just read your previous post, if you copied everything from user and system partitions from the old emummc backup to the new emummc, then the tickets would have been copied over. So if it's not working still, either there is a configuration problem, or some of your emummc files were corrupted, in the first place

Reactions: Lumpofcoal

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I only recommend updating firmware if there is a game or update that needs a higher firmware. Otherwise, you do not need to update your firmware at the moment.

It is as thorough as one can get from the general community. The only way to really narrow it down is to get a list of all homebrew apps a user has used but that list can get really long and even veteran users can struggle to remember everything they've installed so its not a fair question. Also, while majority of reports are old, there are still reports that have come in within the last year so its as much relevant as any other source of information.

I also really need to reiterate this point because you, as well as many others, are guilty of this belief. ReSwitched is not gospel. There have been multiple times when they have been wrong such as with the capabilities of the TX team so there is legitimate reason to doubt even their knowledge base. Not to mention that they are not the ones who determine who gets banned but Nintendo but unless one of them secretly works for Nintendo, we will never found out the criteria for bans. Therefore as a community, we are forced to rely on learning information about bans secondhand because telemetry only matters if it results in a measurable outcome which is a ban. The same thought process was used during the 3DS era so dismissing the community seems like a step backward especially when, as I said, these reports are in the hundreds. You might be able to argue that one or two users may have misreported information but with this large of a sample size, either you have to acknowledge there might be truth in the reports or its a large group effort to misrepresent ban data which is borderline conspiracy.

You also have to understand that I am not saying you use Atmosphere, you will get banned. I always say there is a chance because that is the objective truth. What that chance is was never my intention nor something I planned on discovering. Its like the chances of being struck by lightning, attacked by a shark, or contracting COVID. Some people think those chances are negligible or downright nonexistent while others will take precautions for fear of becoming the next statistic. The point is the chance still exists and should not be dismissed because it has not personally happened to you. Look at the exFAT issues. Many people dismissed it because it had not happened to them yet but once it did, they became a believer. You are doing the same thing as those people. While your friends and family may have been lucky in not getting banned, I have observed the opposite but also my fair share of people who have avoided the ban hammer despite doing supposedly "ban-worthy actions". So who is more likely to be right, the stance that dismisses hundreds of people within the community or the one that acknowledges multiple outcomes?
Its true that we don't know the specifics about what nintendo actually bans for, but you previously said they ban at random, which is very unlikely. Its more likely that we are missing some info, either on the what gets people flagged for a ban, or on the ban report.
If just CFW would ban people, it would be likely that at least one of my friends, families or my own switches would be banned by now, after many years running only CFW or a mix of CFW and full stock.

Also the atmosphere devs aren't perfect, true, they also make mistakes, but they know more about what the switch stores, what modules have access to and what the switch sends to Nintendo, then most other people, so they more likely know what can even lead to a ban in the first place, and what the switch can't detect/doesn't send.
They also weren't completely wrong about SXOS, since TX never made a full CFW themself, and instead was proven to use atmosphere source code for sxos.
Its also not as if they ignored every ban they heard about, they got more info from those people, and normally it was possible to map the reason for the ban to some of the known sources of bans.

About the amount of data, bad data even in big amount might not be helpful to determine a general answer like can CFW lead to bans, but it can help identify tendencies, like Game NSPs are more likely to ban. But bad data can but can also misslead and waste time during analysis.

Generally this is info I'm pretty confident about:
Game NSPs/XCIs
* Going online while using an installed backup leads to a quick ban
* Using an XCI via card emulation offline seems to be mostly save, but could potentially lead to a ban later on
* Using an NSP offline doesn't always lead to ban directly, but has the potential to lead to a ban over time, when some info about tickets is send to nintendo

Homebrew NSPs/Prebuild Romhacks with their own titleId
* This leaves a lot of obvious traces, and will probably lead to a ban even without actively using it

Home Menu icon replacements
* Its unclear weather this is safe, so better don't do this on an offline nand

Changing the user icon via homebrew/dev menu
* This has already lead to bans in the past and should not be done when going online

Abnormall/sketchy eshop/cdn requests
* This has also already banned many people, especially if you are trying to acces things you should not be able to access
* Its also somthing that can ban relativelly quick

Backup restore/log clearing
* This is one of the points that could or could not ban people, but its something nintendo can identify, so its better to not touch it unless something worse like a brick or a guranteed ban could be prevented by it

Sketchy Log (e.g. devmenu logs on a retail game, or logs for the wrong games)
* This has also lead to bans in the past, so better not do this on a nand that goes online, through it might be possible that atmosphere prevents enough telemetry from happening by now, so that this is not necesarrily a problem anymore while used offline

Save Game editing
* This is heavilly dependend on the game. A game like splatoon syncronises a lot with the server, so it can identify a lot of modifications, other games might not result in any ban, even if you use a fully modified and completed save game thats wasn't modified perfectly.

Rom hacks via layered fs
* This is another things thats heavilly game and mod dependend, but generally is more liekyl. Some games can be modded even online, some games allow some mods online, other will ban you when using mods online or even when you go offline without the mod, but with a savegame used in the mod

Cheating
* This is also game dependend, some games have no real cheat detection and will allow you to cheat online until reaported, or cheat in private lobbies, other could be mostly single player games with some online component, that could ban you even when you are just cheating in the single player, so better cheat offline unless you know the specifics for the game or want to risk a ban over time

Error logs from homebrew
* This had lead to problems in the past, but by now is handled by atmosphere by blocking them getting added to the telemetry send to nintendo

Prodinfo blanking
* Likely safe, but might lead to some weird logs that might be idenfiable when going online on a nand that had it active

Downgrading via Daybreak
* Nintendo might be able to idenfify this so its likely good not to do this unless there is no other way, but it might also be safe

Emummc
* Emummc itself is safe, but it adds potential sources of error and mixing nands that connect to nintendo can lead to a ban

Resized/bigger nands
* This could be detected by nintendo in theory, but seems to be used online by some people without a ban. But staying in CFW all the time might be better here to reduce the amount of telemetry send to nintendo

Signature patches
* Signature patches by itself seem to be fine as far as I know, but they add potentiall to screw up by starting the wrong homebrew while not paying attention
* I'm also unsure if they might also negativelly affect data corruption detection to a degree, that might result in other problems that could lead to a ban

What didn't get verified as a ban cause yet, so it likely safe:
* Atmsophere with its defaults online/offline
* Most normal homebrew (Emulators, game ports...) when run via Applet or by holding R when starting a game
* Custom Themes, through they need to be delete on every update of qlaunch
* Most Custom Sysmodule (like SysDVR, Sysclk)
* Updating via daybreak (Its like updating from a gamecard when offline)
* Things that happen outside of HOS and don't affect it like Linux and android

There might be more potentiall exotic ban triggers that we don't know yet that someone might trigger and get banned. There is also always user error, so the chance for a ban is never really 0% the moment you touch custom firmware.
So I don't think addind more complexity and potential points of error for people that just want to run some homebrew really helps the user or the data about whats getting people banned, so I normally recommend those people my setup, with just Atmosphere and hekate+whatever homebrew you want to use. This runs mostly safe with less potential to screw up.

Reactions: Blythe93

lpolxD7

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I updated my switch to 18.1.0 and everything to the latest version, even the most recent signpatches i found but somehow when i try to open tinfoil and mario wonder it sais that the program cant be opened, can somebody help me?

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I updated my switch to 18.1.0 and everything to the latest version, even the most recent signpatches i found but somehow when i try to open tinfoil and mario wonder it sais that the program cant be opened, can somebody help me?
Many users are experiencing issues with the latest sigpatches. Did you try with sys-patch instead?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its true that we don't know the specifics about what nintendo actually bans for, but you previously said they ban at random, which is very unlikely. Its more likely that we are missing some info, either on the what gets people flagged for a ban, or on the ban report.
If just CFW would ban people, it would be likely that at least one of my friends, families or my own switches would be banned by now, after many years running only CFW or a mix of CFW and full stock.

Also the atmosphere devs aren't perfect, true, they also make mistakes, but they know more about what the switch stores, what modules have access to and what the switch sends to Nintendo, then most other people, so they more likely know what can even lead to a ban in the first place, and what the switch can't detect/doesn't send.
They also weren't completely wrong about SXOS, since TX never made a full CFW themself, and instead was proven to use atmosphere source code for sxos.
Its also not as if they ignored every ban they heard about, they got more info from those people, and normally it was possible to map the reason for the ban to some of the known sources of bans.

About the amount of data, bad data even in big amount might not be helpful to determine a general answer like can CFW lead to bans, but it can help identify tendencies, like Game NSPs are more likely to ban. But bad data can but can also misslead and waste time during analysis.

Generally this is info I'm pretty confident about:
Game NSPs/XCIs
* Going online while using an installed backup leads to a quick ban
* Using an XCI via card emulation offline seems to be mostly save, but could potentially lead to a ban later on
* Using an NSP offline doesn't always lead to ban directly, but has the potential to lead to a ban over time, when some info about tickets is send to nintendo

Homebrew NSPs/Prebuild Romhacks with their own titleId
* This leaves a lot of obvious traces, and will probably lead to a ban even without actively using it

Home Menu icon replacements
* Its unclear weather this is safe, so better don't do this on an offline nand

Changing the user icon via homebrew/dev menu
* This has already lead to bans in the past and should not be done when going online

Abnormall/sketchy eshop/cdn requests
* This has also already banned many people, especially if you are trying to acces things you should not be able to access
* Its also somthing that can ban relativelly quick

Backup restore/log clearing
* This is one of the points that could or could not ban people, but its something nintendo can identify, so its better to not touch it unless something worse like a brick or a guranteed ban could be prevented by it

Sketchy Log (e.g. devmenu logs on a retail game, or logs for the wrong games)
* This has also lead to bans in the past, so better not do this on a nand that goes online, through it might be possible that atmosphere prevents enough telemetry from happening by now, so that this is not necesarrily a problem anymore while used offline

Save Game editing
* This is heavilly dependend on the game. A game like splatoon syncronises a lot with the server, so it can identify a lot of modifications, other games might not result in any ban, even if you use a fully modified and completed save game thats wasn't modified perfectly.

Rom hacks via layered fs
* This is another things thats heavilly game and mod dependend, but generally is more liekyl. Some games can be modded even online, some games allow some mods online, other will ban you when using mods online or even when you go offline without the mod, but with a savegame used in the mod

Cheating
* This is also game dependend, some games have no real cheat detection and will allow you to cheat online until reaported, or cheat in private lobbies, other could be mostly single player games with some online component, that could ban you even when you are just cheating in the single player, so better cheat offline unless you know the specifics for the game or want to risk a ban over time

Error logs from homebrew
* This had lead to problems in the past, but by now is handled by atmosphere by blocking them getting added to the telemetry send to nintendo

Prodinfo blanking
* Likely safe, but might lead to some weird logs that might be idenfiable when going online on a nand that had it active

Downgrading via Daybreak
* Nintendo might be able to idenfify this so its likely good not to do this unless there is no other way, but it might also be safe

Emummc
* Emummc itself is safe, but it adds potential sources of error and mixing nands that connect to nintendo can lead to a ban

Resized/bigger nands
* This could be detected by nintendo in theory, but seems to be used online by some people without a ban. But staying in CFW all the time might be better here to reduce the amount of telemetry send to nintendo

Signature patches
* Signature patches by itself seem to be fine as far as I know, but they add potentiall to screw up by starting the wrong homebrew while not paying attention
* I'm also unsure if they might also negativelly affect data corruption detection to a degree, that might result in other problems that could lead to a ban

What didn't get verified as a ban cause yet, so it likely safe:
* Atmsophere with its defaults online/offline
* Most normal homebrew (Emulators, game ports...) when run via Applet or by holding R when starting a game
* Custom Themes, through they need to be delete on every update of qlaunch
* Most Custom Sysmodule (like SysDVR, Sysclk)
* Updating via daybreak (Its like updating from a gamecard when offline)
* Things that happen outside of HOS and don't affect it like Linux and android

There might be more potentiall exotic ban triggers that we don't know yet that someone might trigger and get banned. There is also always user error, so the chance for a ban is never really 0% the moment you touch custom firmware.
So I don't think addind more complexity and potential points of error for people that just want to run some homebrew really helps the user or the data about whats getting people banned, so I normally recommend those people my setup, with just Atmosphere and hekate+whatever homebrew you want to use. This runs mostly safe with less potential to screw up.
It is very likely that bans are distributed at random because this prevents the community from discovering ban causes. If Nintendo banned uses for specific actions, people could easily avoid bans by not conducting such actions or creating tools that mitigate them. This in turn could lead to a response by Nintendo to enact a countermeasure for said tools leading to a game of cat and mouse. It also explains why all users with "bannable offenses" aren't banned as well as vice versa. And again, there is a difference between saying CFW can cause a ban and will cause a ban. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. I refer back to the exFAT supporters and the many who disregarded the reports solely due to the same reasoning you are using.

Also, I wasn't referring to the fact that ReSwitched knew whether or not SX OS was a CFW. They dismissed the idea that TX could not crack sept nor that the SX Core was legit. And those were accomplishments they did without the use of any code from Atmosphere. I should clarify though that I am in no way a TX supporter.

That is your problem though. You are assuming the data is bad based on nothing but your own notions and of ReSwitched rather than looking at it objectively. That would imply there is proof the data is bad which there is none because you even cited the data supports the notion that .NSP files lead to bans. It is highly prejudiced to assume the data only supports that hypothesis while ignoring the other conclusions it potentially draws because it doesn't align with your opinions. In fact, your opinion weighs about as much as one of the people submitting a ban report. Whose to say there is no misreporting on your end? If you're suggesting me to not trust hundreds of people saying the same thing, why should your voice outmatch theirs?

What you personally see as safe will not be the same as what others deem even if you tell them to their face. You may tell one person homebrew is safe and they go on a spree of installing homebrew .NSP files only to find themselves banned. There are too many possibilities in the world of Switch CFW that, in my opinion, its easier to tell people there is a risk no matter what you do but the final choice is always yours as long as you are aware of the risk. Giving people a false sense of security when you cannot police all of their actions always has the chance of blowing up in your face. I'm not going to shoulder the burden of having someone be banned based on what I say.

trabzon_dontacisi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey guys, don't know if this is the right thread but since its for the noobs like me I will just ask it here, sorry if its a bit of a dumb question.

I recently got an OLED so I am selling my Modded Switch Lite (Instinct NX V6) and I want to reset to factory setttings. I mean it will still be modded and I will create another emummc on another SD card and install some games on it for the next guy, but I want to remove my nintendo account and reset the original firmware. Should I just factory reset it on the original firmware and just use a new SD card with the HATS pack or are there additional measures I need to take?

Thanks for the answers! :D

RednaxelaNnamtra

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is very likely that bans are distributed at random because this prevents the community from discovering ban causes. If Nintendo banned uses for specific actions, people could easily avoid bans by not conducting such actions or creating tools that mitigate them. This in turn could lead to a response by Nintendo to enact a countermeasure for said tools leading to a game of cat and mouse. It also explains why all users with "bannable offenses" aren't banned as well as vice versa. And again, there is a difference between saying CFW can cause a ban and will cause a ban. Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. I refer back to the exFAT supporters and the many who disregarded the reports solely due to the same reasoning you are using.

Also, I wasn't referring to the fact that ReSwitched knew whether or not SX OS was a CFW. They dismissed the idea that TX could not crack sept nor that the SX Core was legit. And those were accomplishments they did without the use of any code from Atmosphere. I should clarify though that I am in no way a TX supporter.

That is your problem though. You are assuming the data is bad based on nothing but your own notions and of ReSwitched rather than looking at it objectively. That would imply there is proof the data is bad which there is none because you even cited the data supports the notion that .NSP files lead to bans. It is highly prejudiced to assume the data only supports that hypothesis while ignoring the other conclusions it potentially draws because it doesn't align with your opinions. In fact, your opinion weighs about as much as one of the people submitting a ban report. Whose to say there is no misreporting on your end? If you're suggesting me to not trust hundreds of people saying the same thing, why should your voice outmatch theirs?

What you personally see as safe will not be the same as what others deem even if you tell them to their face. You may tell one person homebrew is safe and they go on a spree of installing homebrew .NSP files only to find themselves banned. There are too many possibilities in the world of Switch CFW that, in my opinion, its easier to tell people there is a risk no matter what you do but the final choice is always yours as long as you are aware of the risk. Giving people a false sense of security when you cannot police all of their actions always has the chance of blowing up in your face. I'm not going to shoulder the burden of having someone be banned based on what I say.
We are talking about self reported data, self reported data has always problems, especially for something like this, where we are talking about big time frames with a lot of differences in personal knowledge of the reporters. Especially since a small detail might be important for this, that are easily forgotten.
Also except for specific bans, bans normally happen in waves, to mitigate exactly the problem you mentioned. This is already enough, since you will probably not remember every detail you did in the last 1-3 months.
Complete randomness that keeps a lot of people unbanned on the other side would not make sense when bans happen because they think, that what you are doing is hurting their business. This would mean they are letting people do things for years by now that are hurting them.
But what we know is that Nintendo, like other companies, thinks piracy looses them money (whether or not it really does is another question), so it even makes sense from a business standpoint to ban everyone identified to use "backups". We also know there is enough info send while going online with a backup to directly identify them. We also know that nintendo has play logs of what people are playing, so we know that they can identify if we play a game that doesn't exist,, which in return means you install stuff, and thus easily identifies that you are using CFW and allows for a ban that will not hit someone innocent, so they ban.

Similar for cheating, we know that cheating makes the online experience worse, which is bad for the business, so they ban people if they identify it. Cheating often also can happen via multiple means, via direct memory manipulation, or via asset/rom manipulation (so directly cheatcodes or romhacking), so if they identify it via different means, depending on the game, they ban you.

Next we have the User Icon change. We know people misused this to use porn images as profile picture, which is not good for nintendos family friendly image. This likely is not an automatic ban, as long as the api is used the same as the switch does for stuff like miis, but they might have some automation that check for potential custom images, and then lets humans review this.
And even if its not the case, they will likely at least ban them if there are reports and they notice the image got tampered with.

As last guaranteed ban, we have the sketchy/weird eshop/requests part, that's a quick ban. This is probably a result from the 3DS and wiiu piracy vie nintendos CDN, which brings us back to the piracy topic, which nintendo doesn't want, so whenever they notice something weird they ban them, like it happened for some certificates of people running bots to check for game updates.

Last we have the logs. We know they keep some logs even after you factory reset the system, and we know that those files can only be modified by either using exploits to run code and access the raw files, or by dumping and restoring the Nand.
If those changes include a firmware downgrade that should not be possible because of fuses, nintendo can say for certain that there is CFW at work. We also don't really know if this be a guaranteed ban, or if this will just flag the switch to a potential ban if something else is detected, but at least we know that nintendo can identify that something got tampered with.

So those things are not just confirmed via the ban reports, and instead also via reversing/traffic analysis and understanding Nintendos position.

Now lets looks at why other things are potentially safe.
The usage of exostphere can not be detected by nintendo, since they cant make requests to things that don't exist to check for atmospheres extensions, since their trustzone would otherwise fatal.
Next to the kernel, devs would probably quickly notice, if nintendo started to call extensions there, so that is not happening.
Similar for the system modules implemented by atmosphere, its unlikely they are calling the apis from atmoshpere without noticing.
But what about timings? In theory they could use timings for detection. But the timings can change when the switch for example gets too hot and throttles down, even just the load through applications or switching between handheld and docked mode can probably change the timings of many things in the system.
Then how about the SD content. First, having specific files on the SD card doesn't mean its used, so you could wrongfully ban someone, just because the kid put some files on there. Seconds of a module would randomly start getting access to the SD and scanning the SD card, we would notice it.

Next lets continue with homebrew applications via album and title overwrite.
For the play log, it pretty much just looks like you are playing a lot of for example youtube, or really like to check your screenshots, nothing sus about that. what about errors and crashes that happen? Atmosphere re-implements fatal and creport, so those logs never get written to the system save.
So what about the missing telemetry? The same would happen if you just block the same urls atmosphere blocks, or if no problems happen, so nothing that proves you are using homebrew there.

So those are just the most important examples, as you see its not just user reports, its user reports, together with knowledge about the system and thinking about nintendos goals, which creates this list.

Is there always a rest risk? yeah, as mentioned before, but I normally mention what people should not do when using syscfw with clean atmosphere, so I already give them the required knowledge on the way, what they make out of it, is then their own doing.

Also my current personal reports are easier to proof, since proving you are not banned can easily be done by just playing online while using CFW. Proving why someone is banned on the other hand is hard, unless you documented everything you did, and even then its hard. Same for a report from me in case I get banned eventually, its unlikely I report everything I did, unless it was something that was causing a direct ban, instead of a wave ban.

Reactions: Blythe93

rsx

USA Modchip Installer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to load emummc sd card/atmosphere from hekate, it gives me a black screen and I have to force a reboot..help? It's not required because I just load sys cfw but I am curious why it doesn't work.

Dakarmej

Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi everyone.

I'm a complete noob on everything that has to do with this, so here are a few questions and some context.

i paid a local shop to do the whole process, im running hekate 6.2.0. no idea abouyt anything else (atmosphere, tinfoil, nut or anything else).

seeing a few vids on youtube i realize there is some access to "things" on the album section of the switch. also theres only two "sections" on the load screan of hekate one is emuMMC and the other one is the "original" instance of the switch.

i wanna get the most of it but im pretty sure the guys that did the whole process hide some stuff to avoid me downloading my ownstuff and having to pay them for every game or "app", so my "basic question" is where do i learn this whole thing and what do i need to lear so i can start squishing every single dime of this marvelous thing...

sorry about such and open question, but this is noob paradise, right?

hiberto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
had issues with emuMMC so backed up saves using NxNandManager (Atmosphere 1.6.2 with firmware 17.0.0). created new eumMMC and installed Atmosphere 1.7.1 with firmware 18.1.0. will I have any issues restoring my saves using JKSV or another save restoring tool since the firmware version is different now than when I made the backups? wasn't sure if saves are affected by firmware version. do the installed game update versions affect whether saves can be restored? have installed some updates since making the new emuMMC so the game update versions differ from when I made the backups. thanks!

baobao43

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have 2 SD cards set up follwoing the Switch Hacking is Easy guide. The Second SD card everything works fine. The first will not load XCI format games anymore. It loads all other formats. But for XCI, I get " "Unable to start software." When I scan the software on my switch it it also says it is corrupt. However the exact same dump works on my other SD card pefrectly and isn't corrupt. The second SD card was updated around a month ago with the then latest sigpatches, hektate, atmosphere and firmware. The first SD card that gets errors was updated just a few days ago with the latest of all of those. Any ideas what could be causing the errors for XCI games or why they are showing as corrupt on the first SD?

Edit: The second SD card that still works perfectly is 18.0.0|AMS1.7.0|E I inject hekate_ctcaer_6.1.0.bin for this card

The first SD card with errors on XCI is 18.1.0|AMS 1.7.1|E I inject hekate_ctcaer_6.2.0.bin for this card

I should add that both have the same and proper hekate_ipl.ini. I can only guess that the SD with errors might be corrupt or is there something else I am missing? Just to add the first SD which has errors for XCI is a few years old now.

Last edited by baobao43,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Whoa, the Heaven and Hell one takes me back. +1