• Likes 58

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
XASH_Logo.png

This was NOT ported by me, it was ported by Datamats who gave me the go-ahead to make this thread.

This is a port of Xash3D to the Nintendo Switch. It is an open-source re-implementation of Valve's Goldsrc engine. To put it simply, this allows you to play Half-Life on your Nintendo Switch. The Opposing Force and Blue Shift expansions are also supported.

Information

Xash3D Engine is a custom Gold Source engine rewritten from scratch. Xash3D is compatible with many of the Gold Source games and mods and should be able to run almost any existing singleplayer Half-Life mod without a hitch. The multiplayer part is not yet completed, multiplayer mods should work just fine, but bear in mind that some features may not work at all or work not exactly the way they do in Gold Source Engine.

Installation

1. Drop the nro downloaded from releases file in your /switch folder
  2. Get a copy of half life that contains the valve folder.
  3. Make a xash3d on the root of your SD card and copy the valve game folder into there. For Opposing Force and Blue Shift, also copy the /gearbox/ and /bshift/ folders for Opposing Force and Blue Shift respectively. From 1.0.0, you can also copy the 'decay' and 'dmc' folders for Decay and Deathmatch Classic.
  4. Download the extras.pak files from https://github.com/FWGS/xash-extras/releases and put it in the valve folder for all the menu assets.

Download

Latest Release 1.0.1

https://github.com/switchports/xash3d-switch/releases

Make sure the /valve/ folder you copy across is a clean folder as existing config files may cause graphical issues.

Changelog

• Update libnx so hid will work on 9.0.0+
1.0.0 and prior
  • nwindow is used now instead of the deprecated gfx api
  • the touchscreen should work now
  • moved over to filesystem times for savefiles thanks to libnx
  • implemented the console and various UI requiring text input using swkbd
  • added options for overclocking, for the really care cases where you might benefit from it
  • made cl_showfps default to 0 (you can always change it using the console)
  • a dmc sdk branch has been ported and is available, additionally a decay port has been added that needs more testing
NOTES
  • Support for Opposing Force and Blue Shift expansions added in version 0.3.0, Decay and dmc branch in 1.0.0
  • This port does currently suffer from long pauses during level loading, saving and loading due to slow file operations
  • It is recommended to keep all .nro files together in the same folder

Last edited by sj33,

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Hell yeah! I love me some portable HL.

I also hope for the HL2 Shield version to somehow make it to the Switch.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
there's a file called config.cfg that has joy_pitch and joy_yaw, you're also able to use a negative number in joy_yaw to invert look.
Thank you very much. :) Inverting the joystick worked from in menu, but the sensitivity sliders wouldnt interact at first try - so thank you for the pointers for where to change the values in the cfg file. :)

(Yay! :) )

Reactions: Deleted User

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Damn, this is too good to be true.
Half Life on the go sounds like something out of a dream haha.
Next up... Half Life 2 and Counter Strike, bbys ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

fgsfds

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Blue Shift might not be working correctly, the telltale sign is the absence of the kevlar vest at the point where you have to get one to progress.
Opposing Force and CS1.6 will not work right now. Making them work is possible, but it would require adapting the appropriate game libraries I used for the Vita port to be able to statically link them.
I haven't checked if the multiplayer works if you enter your nickname in the config prior to entering the multiplayer menu, but it might.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
A few 30 sec switch videos from the first few minutes combined into one. Ah, the nostalgia. :)

(If you see a black screen for several seconds, keep watching.. ;))

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: Deleted User

radicalwookie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blue Shift might not be working correctly, the telltale sign is the absence of the kevlar vest at the point where you have to get one to progress.
Opposing Force and CS1.6 will not work right now. Making them work is possible, but it would require adapting the appropriate game libraries I used for the Vita port to be able to statically link them.
I haven't checked if the multiplayer works if you enter your nickname in the config prior to entering the multiplayer menu, but it might.

You mean...multiplayer...like...you seriously mean it could work?
I'm spazzing out here man tell me I misread that

fgsfds

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I don't really see why it wouldn't. If it doesn't, then most likely it'll be a simple fix to make it so.
UPD: The server list does not appear to get any servers. It still might be possible to connect to a server by putting "connect some.server.com:27015" or something into autoexec.cfg.

Last edited by fgsfds,

GerryTheLeper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Half-Life worked fine for me using the steam files. Opposing Force has lots of black textures though. Is there any way to edit the look sensitivity without having to edit the config file on PC and transfer it over. NXShell doesn't have a text editor. Is there one that works?

Mikep90

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whats wrong with the nro. I try to put an image with it using nro-asset-editor. I get an error
Exception in Tkinter callback
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "tkinter\__init__.py", line 1699, in __call__
File "maker.py", line 218, in browse
File "site-packages\PIL\Image.py", line 2585, in open
OSError: cannot identify image file <_io.BytesIO object at 0x038C2840>

trying to use this image

Attachments

• 220px-Half-Life_Cover_Art.jpg
    220px-Half-Life_Cover_Art.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 430

Site & Scene News