Sony announces new PlayStation 5 model, offers detachable disc drive for digital consoles

dsadsadasd.png

As the rumors foretold, Sony has announced a slimmer PlayStation 5 console for this upcoming holiday season. Marketed as "the new PS5 model", this version of the system is 30% smaller than the original PS5, while weighing 18-24% less, with a 1TB internal SSD. It also has four side panels as opposed to the launch PS5's two, meaning the previous official cover plates will not fit. The new PS5 with a disc drive will retail for $499.99/549.99 EUR, while the Digital Edition will be priced slightly cheaper at $449.99/449.99 EUR. Those with a new Digital Edition console will also have the opportunity to upgrade to a detachable disc drive for their system, for an extra $79.99.

The new PS5 launches this November, and will be the default PlayStation 5 model going forward.

:arrow: Source

patters

Trophies
XP
Country
Same. I bought a PS4 specifically for The Last Guardian and for No Man's Sky (I had an Xbox One because I had a 360 and my friends went that way). I consider Ico and Shadow of the Colossus my two favourite games, and The Last Guardian is I think the only PS4 game I have finished. So when Ueda-san's next title is out, I may bite - but right now I cannot see any reason to. Also, that hardware design is awful.

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how news articles decry it as a "blow to preservation and right to repair", when they keep forgetting that these companies couldn't care less about either of those. Both are bad for profits, both current and future, so why wouldn't they do crap like this?

That said, I'm surprised they feel the need to release a new model. The current one has only been readily available for purchase from retail stores for a year or two, if that. Scalpers and the chip shortage saw to that.

Reactions: Error-1-2435-8325

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto