JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Well indeed Nintendo has learned from the Wii. But that doesn't make it impossible for something to happen, thanks to this.
We can't tell for sure, at least not now.
It didn't do anything for homebrew on the Wii either. Unless you can fakesign discs, it will only run legit games.

Vappy

Trophies
XP
Country
fail0verflow respond
2KlJb.png

Wasn't it a drive mod that let them run GC homebrew which lead to the tweezer attack?

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
That's the amount of people willing to go as far as downloading a 25GB game, WiiU games are encrypted so there's no way of removing the dumb data from the discs. (this method can only use physical backuped discs and not size efficient eShop downloads since they are encrypted) Every torrent would have to be the same size as a Wii U disc.
Not to mention the other hurdles like having to purchase a WiikeyU, open the console, install it, copy games, compatibility issues etc.

No way piracy will be mainstream like with the Wii/DS again, I mean those system were so easy to pirate games for even my grandma could do it.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We maybe shouldn't jump to conclusions about homebrew. While it seems unlikely they did say they have

compleatly reversed the WiiU drive authentifiction, disk encryption, [and] filesystem
This last item might mean they have figured out how to install files to the wii filesystem, but I doubt it.

D

Dork

...you mean start selling once the price is cut to how much the system is actually worth?

So, a next gen console starting at $299.99 - $349.99 is too much at launch?

You won't be very happy with the PS4 and Nextbox prices, that's for sure.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Nintendo just commented on this:
"Nintendo is aware that a hacking group claims to have compromised Wii U security. However, we have no reports of illegal Wii U games nor unauthorized applications playable on the system while in Wii U mode. Nintendo continuously monitors all threats to its products' security and will use technology and will take the necessary legal steps to prevent the facilitation of piracy."

thats cute nintendo, just like you tried to stop the DS from piracy too? come at me, you shouldn't region lock your consoles then people wouldn't need a reason to hack!

That's the amount of people willing to go as far as downloading a 25GB game, WiiU games are encrypted so there's no way of removing the dumb data from the discs. (this method can only use physical backuped discs and not size efficient eShop downloads since they are encrypted) Every torrent would have to be the same size as a Wii U disc.
Not to mention the other hurdles like having to purchase a WiikeyU, open the console, install it, copy games, compatibility issues etc.

No way piracy will be mainstream like with the Wii/DS again, I mean those system were so easy to pirate games for even my grandma could do it.

25gb? ps3 games can be up to 50gb that doesn't stop people from playing ps3 games on cfw does it?

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
We maybe shouldn't jump to conclusions about homebrew. While it seems unlikely they did say they have

This last item might mean they have figured out how to install files to the wii filesystem, but I doubt it.
If it's true they've reversed the disk encryption there's nothing stopping Nintendo from implementing a new one, they already did that with saves on 3DS iirc. 25gig downloads + having to buy and install hardware will really put off the majority of mainstream pirates.

Also it's possible Nintendo have implemented methods in the Wii U that will be able to detect these kinds of hardware changes, so it could lead to a another update cat'n'mouse game.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

25 gigs is not that much, plenty of PC games are that, a whole 24 episode TV series with 1 odd gig high res episodes..., PS3 games touch upon that, there are a few multi disc 360 games that hit that and standard 360 games are not exactly orders of magnitude smaller.

Still 25 gigs. I will assume 25000 megs
1 meg a second connection is nothing major in a lot of Europe, Japan and North American cities so 25000/3600 is just shy of 7 hours or basically nothing worth worrying about. Doubly so if seedboxes, torrent/usenet enabled NAS boxes and other such systems exist and are available for home use.

Also scrubbing methods do not necessarily need a key to function either and if it is just padding in places it could be detectable later but it could also be just that and easily removed.

Easy to do.... most drive emulators amount to extract/copy the file to the drive in a given directory. Maybe split up if you are using a limited filesytem. Compatibility issues, though they could arise, are usually something of a nonissue as well; if you can emulate the drive well enough for one game chances are you can do all of them and almost certainly all released in a similar timeframe or before it.
"purchase a WiikeyU, open the console, install it"
Are these the very same people that ordered their own flash carts before? Or get the neighbourhood tech to source and install like they do for everything else. Install it probably amounts to "remove a few removable clips, insert new wires in same shaped holes, put it back together.

Reactions: jalaneme

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
compleatly reversed the WiiU drive authentifiction, disk encryption, [and] filesystem
My gut feeling is that's just a bluff. All they really need to understand is the authentication and communication. Afterwards they first first need to dump the game by asking the drive for all the info on the disk, one sector at a time, and storing the response on the hard drive. When the rest of the console then asks for the game information they can just mimic the response that the drive had given them that they have stored on the hard drive from when they dumped the game. They don't need to removed or even understand the encryption or the file system, just mimic the recorded response.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You've just criticized the N64 for failing miserably due to being different than everybody else (used cartridges instead of compact discs) and now you marginalize the fact that the WiiU is the odd one out (Custom PowerPC versus x86).

I never said it was the odd one out only that the Wii U using a PPC CPU was somehow the most vile architecture one could develop for. As for the N64, if you think that the cartridge format helped the N64, I'd love to hear it. If it wasn't the limited media, what made the N64 so unsuccessful?

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

that's less than 4x larger than xbox360 iso's which people were downloading over six years ago, I don't know about everyone else but my internet speed has gone up more than that in the same amount of time, it took me 2 hours and 20 minutes to download 360 games back then, it would only take 1 hour and 40 minutes to download a wii U game now. my internet is 5x faster my harddrive is 13x larger than it was in 2006 so downloading wii u games wouldn't be a problem at all.
Many people download full blu ray disks all the time.
not that I feel the need for it back then I was still in high school with no job and no money, currently I have every wii u game I've wanted so far and don't see myself stopping buying games any time soon. But if I felt like piracy it wouldn't be a problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: nah who am i kidding? we all know he lives in north korea