[Rumor] WiikeÜ ?

msaraiva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
true, but dumps would still be recorded on the scene, but there's Not a single thing
it could indeed be just 1 team and everything is kept to themselves, but dump data is normally quite public, same as the 3DS games and firmware dumps.

Not if they're internal. Normally I don't trust announcements like these, but if the website was not hacked, then it's probably true. After all, they're a pretty reliable group and have a solid track record. Even respected members from the Gamecube scene collaborate with them (emu_kidid).

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Not if they're internal. Normally I don't trust announcements like these, but if their website was not hacked, then it's probably true. After all, they're a pretty reliable group and have a solid track record. Even respected members from the Gamecube scene collaborate with them (emu_kidid).

I know it is likely to be true but I just hope it's not.

More information would be nice though.

msaraiva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah...in my opinion, it's not a good time for modchips/odds. Nintendo is struggling to take third parties on-board, and this will only hamper the efforts.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Let's hope this modchip removes the region locking, I'm fed up of waiting for games to come out over here, games like pikmin 3, game and wario doesn't even have a release date for the uk yet; my wii u is just sitting there and Americans get get play all the good stuff, I don't see why that is fair and is the reason why I installed a modchip on my original wii.

Reactions: Kippykip

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Let's hope this modchip removes the region locking, I'm fed up of waiting for games to come out over here, games like pikmin 3, game and wario doesn't even have a release date for the uk yet; my wii u is just sitting there and Americans get get play all the good stuff, I don't see why that is fair and is the reason why I installed a modchip on my original wii.
Don't feel bad, it's just because Americans are better than you. :P

Reactions: Arm73

msaraiva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Why don't you sell your UK Wii U and buy an US one, instead of pirating games? It's not like you will die if you wait 1-2 weeks for the game to arrive in the post (Disclaimer: i also live in the UK and have an US Wii U).

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country

we wait for a reason, they give them all the games with bugs intact so they're fully fixed when things are released over here and we don't have to worry about game breaking bugs

We get more VC games soon too, The Legend of Zelda Link the The Past being a nice example.

beta4attack

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, God, noooooo! DX Not so early in its life, just no! DX I don't want to see it crammed with piles and piles of shovelware again...

Geez, stop complaining... Just migrate to the USA or anything... You just want TONS of shovelware just so you can have games early? You won't even find any games to play!

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hopefully this means someone can reverse engineer wiikey work and make it a softmod but I still think it far too early for this as there nothing to pirate and I wonder if this will allow you to play other region games from USB.
Hardware mods can't just be "converted" to softmods. The only thing that might happen is that a ton of clone chips pop up.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
we wait for a reason, they give them all the games with bugs intact so they're fully fixed when things are released over here and we don't have to worry about game breaking bugs

We get more VC games soon too, The Legend of Zelda Link the The Past being a nice example.
DSO on 3DS says hi!

Most games are already ready for simultaneous US/EU release, release dates mainly because of marketing strategies, translations and ratings. Saying that we get bugfixes is a false claim as far as I know.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Not altogether surprising, modchips arrived on the Wii before any other form of hacks too. For example, on the Wii, it was modchips that eventually led to homebrew; modchips allowed burnt GC games to be run, which allowed GC homebrew discs to be run, which is what was used for mapping out the Wii's memory and finding the common key (in combination with the Twiizer Attack, of course). That then allowed the decryption of IOS, which led to the discovery of the Trucha Bug which was, at first, made use of via modchips (custom discs were fake signed and burnt, then loaded using a modchip).

Of course, none of that means anything in terms of homebrew on the WiiU following from the modchip. It's just an example of how hardware hacks can come sooner than software hacks. The main point to highlight about this is that's it's about getting legitimate, signed content to run in "illegitimate" ways. Which IMO is much less interesting than getting "illegitimate" content (i.e. homebrew) to run.

It is highly unlikely the modchip would remove region locking, Nintendo managed to stop modchips from doing that on the Wii after a few updates, it wouldn't be at all surprising to see similar measures in place on the WiiU, meaning no region lock bypassing via modchips.

Bryon15

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh boy. I hope this is true. The most I want out of this is - removal of the region lock, able to play gamecube isos, able to play PS2 isos. I know that last one is a stretch but I can dream right.

Reactions: jalaneme

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seems unlikely that WiiKey would just make something like this up. If it works like a WODE, it would also seem very hard to block on a system wide basis. Individual games, maybe.

Will be following this closely. Even though, unlike everyone else here I still have numerous unbeaten Wii U games...

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh boy. I hope this is true. The most I want out of this is - removal of the region lock, able to play gamecube isos, able to play PS2 isos. I know that last one is a stretch but I can dream right.
This will do none of those things. A modchip doesn't magically make the console able to run custom code (e.g. a GC or PS2 emulator), it just tricks the existing system software into running the code it can already load from a different place (i.e. it can ONLY run "legit", signed games, and it will ONLY run them if the system menu would have loaded them anyway i.e. they have to be from the correct region).

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
yeah it's a pretty reputable team, I don't see them making fake claims and ruining their reputation (or maybe they got their site hacked... yeah... that's far fetched)
now on the subject of the Wii U, I'm afraid this is going to make things even more complicated for Nintendo, this might drive big time publishers further away from the console...

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait to pirate nothing
:rofl:

I remember when there were Wiikeys for the regular wii, I just waited. Eventually, if it's meant to happen, we will be able to do things through all software. I personally don't think buying a chip is the way to go just yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: butthurt aren't ya? can't stand the truth