[Rumor] WiikeÜ ?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This seems pretty useless but we can have translation patches and ISO mods now I guess.
Altered games would break the signing on the games and thus not work so no translations or mods.

It's not really much of a hacking method though, since no illegal content can be played on it just yet.

Squeh? Now there quite a few definitions of hacking out there but that is a new one on me. Similarly even if I took that as you say there are quite a few countries, many of which Nintendo have an actual, notable presence in, that would see me up in front of the beak if I was to import, make, sell or install such devices out in the open.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think it's something the regular "gbatemp kid wanting free games for his DS" would do. 25GB per game still is a lot and probably too much for countries were piracy is a real problem, in any case these are all things that limits the potential audience for a product like this. As for encryption, if Nintendo really were to battle piracy they would simply implement a new disc encryption (making us unable to edit disc content). Newer 3DS games features a different encryption for example.
WiikeyU will be the same as piracy on something like the GC, not nearly as widespread. If piracy did cause damages on the Wii it was because of USB loaders, not modchips.

What remains to be seen though is if developers will use this as an excuse as to why they won't release games for the system... that's the only thing that could hurt the WiiU for now.

Reactions: [Truth]

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i must be in the majority, it sucks to be in pal region, we get treated like shit, modchips are a godsend :)
hmmmmm

Well for the 3DS, we are getting Mario&Luigi 4 dream team a month earlier than the US, also bravely default flying fairy 2013 for EU, while 2014 for US. :)

Neither EU nor US is better than the other, all have trade offs. EU get certain games earlier and US others. Strictly speaking on Nintendo consoles.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
Also, it didn't hurt the Wii that much either I believe?
I mean, sure it did, but as far as I know, MH3 Tri, CoD Redux and several other titles came for the Wii, and those games had to be made from the ground up, unlike ported games for PC, Xbox360 and PS3.

And CoD and MH games are on the Nintendo platforms again.. so I guess there are enough people will still buy the games, if not the piracy group is just really low in total.
The PSP didn't have enough first party titles, except for MH and GTA. And those games are also now on Nintendo.

The PSVita and 3DS didn't got hacked yet, but who is doing better in sales?
There is a reason people buy Nintendo games. :)

Just saying that Nintendo probably doesn't have a lot to worry about.
And if they do, they'll just release a Limited Edition of a game, you can't pirate the merchandise. :P
Or just lower the prices after launch, like other game developers do...

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
It's not really much of a hacking method though, since no illegal unsigned content can be played on it just yet.
Fixed that for you there. I think the idea is the illegal (pirated) stuff CAN by run but what can't be run is homebrew which in most countries is entirely legal.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Altered games would break the signing on the games and thus not work so no translations or mods.

Would it not depend if everything on disc was signed or just the main executable. King Kong hack for 360 was a modified disc as the shaders were not signed. I'm sure there are some other disc based mods floating around as well (of course using them online is pretty much getting you ban hammered. )

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Really? How do I access the Wii U's disc dumping feature then? :P
What Masternal said: plug your USB drive in your wiiu, format it to whatever proprietary disc formatting thingy nintendo pulled out of their ass, buy some stuff on eShop, download it to your USB port. Nobody ever said anything about a disc dumping feature. And that goes both to nintendo as the wiikey team.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My gut feeling is that's just a bluff. All they really need to understand is the authentication and communication. Afterwards they first first need to dump the game by asking the drive for all the info on the disk, one sector at a time, and storing the response on the hard drive. When the rest of the console then asks for the game information they can just mimic the response that the drive had given them that they have stored on the hard drive from when they dumped the game. They don't need to removed or even understand the encryption or the file system, just mimic the recorded response.
Ya, I agree. Chances are this is just a read and replay device, but based on their post, they are claiming they have done more. Either way, I almost certainly won't be getting one. Mostly I am hoping that this promts fail0verflow to release something in the near future (see their latest twitter post).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think it's something the regular "gbatemp kid wanting free games for his DS" would do. 25GB per game still is a lot and probably too much for countries where piracy is a real problem, in any case these are all things that limits the potential audience for a product like this. As for encryption, if Nintendo really were to battle piracy they would simply implement a new disk encryption. Newer 3DS games features a different encryption for example.

WiikeyU will be the same as piracy on something like the GC, not nearly as widespread. If piracy did cause damages on the Wii it was because of USB loaders, not modchips.

What remains to be seen though is if developers will use this as an excuse as to why they won't release games for the system... that's the only thing that could hurt the system for now.

New encryption.... and potentially leave all the old drives unable to read new games? A plan I can see no fault in.

"kid wanting free games for his DS"
Maybe, people wanting free games for their 360 on the other hand have done pretty well for years now on substantially slower connections.

"probably too much for countries where piracy is a real problem"
Q to Nintendo) What are you main markets?
A) In no real order USA and Canada, UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Japan and South Korea.... Possibly extending to Nordic council countries and countries surrounding those previous countries depending upon the game in question.
Oh dear http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

"WiikeyU will be the same as piracy on something like the GC, not nearly as widespread. If piracy did cause damages on the Wii it was because of USB loaders, not modchips."
Maybe in some ways, in others the world has changed and I have had the slightly clued up granparents of your example earlier ripping their own DVDs (DVDfab is really not hard to use after all), making their own music CDs and running their own ipods in a manner similar to how I might handle such a thing. As mentioned these drive emulators, once installed which is nothing major for anyone that used a screwdriver before or knows someone that has, are copy and paste/drag and drop levels of easy.
Also most early Wii modchips needed soldering and cablechips were not so hot either so I am not sure that quite carries; at one point I would have said soldering is easy but then I saw the carnage of early wii drives. Similarly it was not that long a stretch before the rise of USB loaders so I am not sure what will happen here, going back to the 360 though such things did OK there in similar circumstances (no modded games, needs to open the 360 to mod, larger than might be normal downloads and they also had the need for dual layer discs).

Edit
Would it not depend if everything on disc was signed or just the main executable. King Kong hack for 360 was a modified disc as the shaders were not signed. I'm sure there are some other disc based mods floating around as well (of course using them online is pretty much getting you ban hammered. )

True in those cases but wouldn't that also mean a regression from their security setup on the Wii?

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Indeed. The N64 was powerful for the time, even surpassing the original Playstation in terms of raw CPU and GPU power, in fact, the N64 could push out more polygons/second than PSX, but the cartridge limited it to ~120,000 second. Factor 5 and Rare ran custom microcode that exceed that number though. Nevertheless, having slow RDRAM and 4 KB of cache for textures gave many games a blurrier appearance.

Exactly. Even when people think Nintendo "lost" they have your money now! Mwahahahahaha! And the games? Same deal, you have to buy the games first in order for them to upload dumps on the internet.
Remember add on cartridge with more memory? Went in front/top?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
potentially leave all the old drives unable to read new games? A plan I can see no fault in.
Except when those who bought a launch Wii and have never even thought of piracy start complaining that they can't buy new releases because their Wii U is "too old"

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hopefully these fuckers have the common courtesy to say "You know, we love Nintendo, we don't want to hurt them, we'll just allow it to only play Wii Games, not WiiU games." Seriously, piracy can fuck off and die. It's one of the reasons why there's soooooo many awesome titles on the 3DS. Because there's like no piracy at all except for that hack but the people haven't released it yet because they don't want piracy.

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
I don't think modchips were released for like 1.5 years or something, and the Wii wasn't struggling.
Heh, yes that's true. I forgot about that.

I mean, today you hear that like from every product and every company. Or at least that the sales haven't been going as strong as they used to go.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
New encryption.... and potentially leave all the old drives unable to read new games? A plan I can see no fault in..
No I'm talking about the kind of encryption that would enable us to resize or edit game files on the disc. Not the kind that would prevent the WiiKeÜ to play backups. As for the rest, well it's debatable. I never believed piracy was a big problem*, even less now seeing how things have changed.

*outside of the DS/Wii to some degree

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with... +1