Hacking RB2 Customs - Proof of Concept

ShakaHeath

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess we would have to hack the game itself in order to get a third category for RB1 songs and that would not be worth the effort.
So yeah the tag is a good idea after all even if I don't really like it. Anyway as long as it is optional, I don't care.

doctorfaust

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will we be able to pick and choose which songs we want to export (if we don't want to get the entire 1.1 gig worth of RB1, for instance) off the discs?

Thanks, I'm eagerly awaiting this!

wiimanizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so...this stuff is completely separate from the cd game itself right? cause i havent burned the game onto the cd yet and thought maybe you'd have to somehow join certain files into the .iso file[i guess sorta like ISO 249ing a game, or something of the like] and burn them altogether. so then, its ok to burn the game now and still be able to wait for this RAWK SD to install on a usb device, right?

ps: can i redirect my notification of replies to another email addy? i currently have it set with hotmail, but for some reason i failed with making an account with gmail in the first place and so i chose my alternate email addy aka the hotmail one[which i hardly check]. so i want to redirect it to gmail, can i?

CapitalQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I happened to stumble upon this topic, and I'm very excited by the work being done here. However, I'm new and was wondering exactly what will be required to get this working.

I have an unmodified Wii running the 4.0 menu software, an SD card (with USB reader) and the Rock Band 1 and 2 game discs. Will I be ready to perform the import when RawkSD is released, or does the Wii itself need to be modified to make this work?

CapitalQ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah. I wasn't sure if it was a manner of just tricking the game by planting files on the SD card, or if it had to do with hacking the Wii itself.

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
Trophies
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
Country
Canada
wiimanizer said:
so...this stuff is completely separate from the cd game itself right? cause i havent burned the game onto the cd yet and thought maybe you'd have to somehow join certain files into the .iso file[i guess sorta like ISO 249ing a game, or something of the like] and burn them altogether. so then, its ok to burn the game now and still be able to wait for this RAWK SD to install on a usb device, right?
You need a way to play the normal game to make this work, that's pretty much it. So if you have the real disc, are playing it with a loader, whatever, it'll work. You won't need to patch an ISO or anything and only use the customs with a burnt disc and loader.

QUOTE(CapitalQ @ Jun 3 2009, 12:17 AM) Ah. I wasn't sure if it was a manner of just tricking the game by planting files on the SD card, or if it had to do with hacking the Wii itself.
justinrocks123 is right, the Homebrew Channel will be required (or any other way of booting homebrew, like bannerbomb, if you'd prefer to not install the channel). The homebrew is only needed to install new customs onto your game, so you only need it when you want to add more to your SD card. Any other time you can start the game from the disc channel like normal, so it doesn't really take a large amount of modification.

wiimanizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AerialX said:
wiimanizer said:
You need a way to play the normal game to make this work, that's pretty much it. So if you have the real disc, are playing it with a loader, whatever, it'll work. You won't need to patch an ISO or anything and only use the customs with a burnt disc and loader.
what do you mean by that? im not quite sure of what you meant. i kinda do, but at the same time, kinda dont...

ps: actually, to get this straight...you mean that all i need is a burnt RB2, HBC, and the RAWK sd customs thinga-majig on an sd card/usb flash drive?

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
Trophies
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
Country
Canada
wiimanizer said:
AerialX said:
wiimanizer said:
what do you mean by that? im not quite sure of what you meant. i kinda do, but at the same time, kinda dont...

ps: actually, to get this straight...you mean that all i need is a burnt RB2, HBC, and the RAWK sd customs thinga-majig on an sd card/usb flash drive?
You need RB2, regardless of whether it's a retail disc, a burnt copy, on a USB hard drive, etc.
All you need is *some way of playing RB2* and the HBC.

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
wiimanizer said:
and the RAWK customs is totally separate from the RB2's .iso right?
Totally separate. This in no way modifies Rock Band 2's data. Nothing of what this does means you will have to burn modified data from the disc. You could install HBC, set this up, and then go buy Rock Band 2 off the shelf. Just start it up and it works. This program is built to be read by Rock Band 2 in it's original form

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You need a copy of IOS37 with the signature check bug added back in. I think there are plans to add a check for this in the installer, and install it if it's not found. This might be a problem for the new "LU64+" wiis, I don't any experience with them so I don't know.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Bad news - due to the incredibly crappy way nintendo implemented SD support, it doesn't look like I'll be able to hack in support for SDHC cards. This is due to not one but three roadblocks:
- IOS
- Rock Band 2's primary executable (main.dol)
- the separate SD support library (also on the disc)

Maybe some time in the future it will be done, but I don't have the necessary time to spend on it now.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
Bad news - due to the incredibly crappy way nintendo implemented SD support, it doesn't look like I'll be able to hack in support for SDHC cards. This is due to not one but three roadblocks:
- IOS

Maybe some time in the future it will be done, but I don't have the necessary time to spend on it now.

Couldn't we use the cIOS which has SDHC support?

Maybe when Rock Band 3 or whatever the next RB game to use the SD card comes around it will support SDHC.

I guess for now we could just use multiple SD cards for customs. It's a bummer not to be able to use SDHC cards.

How does RB2 recognize the custom DLC if it uses a different slot than regular DLC?

ExLex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
- IOS

too bad, thx anyway tueidj for your time trying...

Anyway still we can use multiples SD for play or had only the songs we play.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ccfman2004 said:
Couldn't we use the cIOS which has SDHC support?That would solve one problem, leaving two. The cIOS doesn't even use the same calls as the standard IOSes.
QUOTEHow does RB2 recognize the custom DLC if it uses a different slot than regular DLC?
DLC can be in any slot, the game knows where each individual song is.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: