Installing Rock Band, Just Dance, and Guitar Hero DLC on Wii

NOTE FROM @SaulFabre: This tutorial IS NOT MINE, I've restored this tutorial from the original author of this document from the original Google Docs document, and provided again to GBAtemp.net by me if anytime you want to see it in a live website such GBAtemp. So, If you want to do the steps from this tutorial, DO IT UNDER YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

Thanks to the website Wayback Machine for archive this tutorial. This made me easy the search of this tutorial. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THREAD:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock Band, Just Dance and Guitar Hero has downloadable songs that you were able to buy and download when the Wii Shop Channel was up. Back in the day, people would install a small WAD, and then they could get whatever song they wanted for free. Since the Wii Shop Channel closed, this is no longer possible. There is a new way to install song DLC, follow this tutorial to do so.

The process to do this is different from installing a WiiWare or Virtual Console WAD. Instead of installing the WAD to your Wii (which will not work), we will use a tool called wad2bin that will convert the WAD to a format you can install directly on your SD Card. Please follow these instructions carefully and then you can use the DLC. It’s a long process, but it’s fun.

Also, if you are wanting to get DLC working with Rock Band 3, you can also install Rock Band 2 DLC for use with that game.

What you need
Instructions

Section 1: Preparing

1. Get the WADs that you want in the folder these instructions are enclosed in.
a. “Big WADs” contain WADs with all the DLC, but they are large. For Rock Band, these come in multiple parts. If you want to use the big WADs, make sure you have enough storage space on your SD Card.
b. “Split WADs” contain WADs with individual songs. This is good because you can pick and choose what WADs you want to install.
2. Copy xyzzy-mod to the apps folder of your SD Card (and Wii Mod Lite if you don’t have it already).
3. Launch xyzzy-mod from the Homebrew Channel, and run it to dump some keys. These are unique keys that are required in order to use wad2bin.
a. This only needs to be done once, if you want to install more WADs later, you don’t need to run the tool again.

Section 2: Patching IOS
  • If you load your game you want to use DLC with using the Disc Channel, follow the steps in Section 2.1.
  • If you load your game you want to use DLC with using a USB Loader, follow https://wii.guide/cios to install the optimal cIOS if you haven’t already.
Section 2.1: Patching IOS for Use with the Disc Channel

You do not need to do this if you’re using a USB Loader. For each IOS listed here (IOS37, IOS56, and IOS57), if you patched them once you don’t need to patch them again.

1. Launch Wii Mod Lite from the Homebrew Channel.
2. Go to the IOSs menu.
3. Select the IOS corresponding to your game.
a. If you want to use DLC with Rock Band 2, select IOS37.
b. If you want to use DLC with Rock Band 3, Just Dance 2-4 or Guitar Hero, select IOS56.
c. If you want to use DLC with Just Dance 2014-2015, select IOS57.
i. Just Dance 2014-2015 is known to have some strange issues where the DLC doesn’t work. We have managed to get it to work on USB Loaders.
4. Press the A Button.
5. Select Install IOS.
6. Select the revision corresponding to your IOS.
a. If you selected IOS37, select 5663.
b. If you selected IOS56, select 5662.
c. If you selected IOS57, select 5919.
7. Press the A Button twice.
8. Press Right on the +Control Pad.
9. Press Down on the +Control Pad.
10. Press Right on the +Control Pad again.
11. Press the A Button.
12. Select Download IOS from NUS.
13. Wait for it to finish. When it’s done, after a few seconds you will be sent to the previous menu.
a. If you get a screen saying “Exception DSI Occurred!”, try this process again.
14. Exit Wii Mod Lite by pressing the HOME Button.

Section 3: Making the WADs

This section needs to be followed for every time you want to install songs.

1. Insert your SD Card to your computer.
2. Open wad2bin.
3. To the right of “Path to SD root”, select the “...” button and set it to the root of your SD Card.
4. To the right of “Path to keys file”, select the “...” button and select the keys.txt file in the root of your SD Card that xyzzy-mod made.
5. To the right of “Path to cert file”, select the “...” button and select the device.cert file in the root of your SD Card that xyzzy-mod made.
6. Fill in the title ID corresponding to your game.
a. Games
i. Just Dance 2 - 00010000534432
ii. Just Dance 3 - 00010000534A44
iii. Just Dance 4 - 00010000534A58
iv. Just Dance 2014 - 00010000534A4F
v. Just Dance 2015 - 00010000534533
vi. Rock Band 2 - 00010000535A41
vii. Rock Band 3 - 00010000535A42
viii. The Beatles - Rock Band - 0001000052394A
ix. Green Day - Rock Band - 00010000535A41
x. Guitar Hero: World Tour - 00010000535841
xi. Guitar Hero 5 - 00010000535845
xii. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock - 00010000535849
b. Important
i. If you’re using the USA version of your game, type 45 at the end of the ID.
1. For example, Rock Band 3 would be 00010000535A4245.
ii. If you’re using the Europe version of your game, type 50 at the end of the ID.
1. For example, Rock Band 3 would be 00010000535A4250.
7. Only if using Rock Band 2, select the “Use nullkey” box.
8. Select “add wad” to install one WAD file.
a. Or, select “add folder” to install a folder of WADs.
9. Select “run”.
10. Make sure that it created a folder with .bin files in a subfolder of /private/wii/data/ on your SD Card. The private folder needs to be at the root of your SD Card.
11. Move the WAD file starting with “00010000” and ending with “bogus.wad” to a folder called “wad” in your SD Card.

Section 4 - Finalizing

This section needs to be followed for every time you want to install songs.

1. Launch Wii Mod Lite from the Homebrew Channel.
2. Go to the WAD Manager menu.
3. Select the folder on your SD Card called “wad”.
4. Highlight the WAD file starting with “00010000” and ending with “bogus.wad”.
5. Press the - Button.
6. Press the A Button, and then press it again when it prompts you to.
a. Ignore any errors.
7. Now in the menu where you were before to select WAD files, highlight the same WAD file again.
8. Press the A Button, and then press it again when it prompts you to.
a. Ignore any errors.
9. Load the game you made the DLC for and test it out. (If using Just Dance 2014 or Just Dance 2015 with a USB Loader, make sure you're using cIOS 249 installed with https://wii.guide/cios )

Litle_Bird

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Good evening!

I've been picking up an intrest in playing the guitar hero and rock band games on the vWii as I had some guitars from my childhood.

I've had success getting DLC up and running for the Guitar hero series, I have about 678 tracks showing up on Guitar Hero Warriors of Rock, though the World Tour DLC is not working as it demands a content update for it. So it seems that I got WAD2Bin working for me. However this is not what is bugging me.

I can't get Rock Band 3 or Rock Band 3 Deluxe to recognize any DLC, neither Rock Band 3 or Rock Band 2 DLC. After proccessing a DLC in Wad2Bin (tried both single songs and the famous big wads) moving the private folder to SD-card and installing the Bogus app. Upon launching Rock Band 3 I am prompted if I wish to load DLC from SD card, and of course I go by "Yes", the game just loads shortly and then let's me play. Upon reaching the song list I can only see the 83 original song titles, not any DLC.

The bogus wads install with the error -1022 in YAMMM, however I've verified that the ticket is installed with WIIXplorer, I tried resetting the song cache in RB3 by deleting the MStore.vff. Nothing seems to work, I tried to start the wii shop channel but even that did no difference, hence why I am making this post as I've run out of Ideas.

Thank you! :lol:
Post automatically merged:

So has anyone confirmed this methodology works for vWii / Wii U via disc method? IOS 37 / IOS 56 was installed on my Wii U following this method, but it results in a black screen / crash after starting the game in the Disc Menu. It can be fixed via Decaffeinator to restore the IOS' back to the Wii U's default, so it's not a "brick". I don't understand how this can work for the vWii given that it seems to only want to use IOS 37 v5919 and IOS 56 v5918.

It should work, however the IOS in which the games runs under when launched from the disc channel would need to be patched with the signing bug. As far as I am aware the only vIOS patcher available is vIOS80 patcher, which patches the system menu IOS, but you would need that the actual game IOS is patched. When you get a black screen/crash is it just when launching the game or does it brick your vWii? If it bricks it I would assume you're installing a Wii IOS on the vWii which causes a brick, recoverable but a brick none the less.

You should be able to launch it from the disc channel if you force the Disc channel to run with a patched vIOS. This can be achieved by installing Priiloader on the vWii, in system menu hacks you can enable the system hack (it says something like this) "Force the disc channel to run under IOS 249", of course you would need to have a D2X cIOS with base 56 installed into slot 249. This should work, I lack a disc myself to try it out but it should work as the Guitar Hero and Rock band games should run on D2X with IOS 56 base and all D2X cIOS are patched with the signing bug (trucha bug).

Would love to hear the results!

Last edited by Litle_Bird,

HugeYeet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there anyway to get all Rockband 3 songs without your wii being able to connect to the internet? If so, can someone write up or link me instructions?

PoPaNolie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FYI for anyone downloading Rockband 2 WADs to Rockband 3
When creating the bogus.wad
Run wad2bin, use the parent ID for "RB3", select ONLY the RB2 DLC wads. Check 'nullkey'

vectored6960

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So oddly enough I did the whole "uninstall and install" bit on wii mod

Now NOTHING works anymore. Dunno why but when I just had the bogus wad on the SD card it worked fine but NOW

voltino

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
for all just dance games, i did have to set custom ios to 250 for dlc to load, no other changes (did not change settings for force ntsc and english). using latest usb loader gx.
Post automatically merged:

For Rock Band 3 Deluxe, i still get stuck at the 'manage songs' screen, though i do see the cutscene with the guy holding the box of records
Hi, I have success with jd2 and jd3, with jd15 I can see in game option SD archive but I dont see on shop also I've tried to put 1 song on wii memory but it cant work. I'm using usbloader gx latest 1271 and setting cios 250 custom cios, if I use custom 249 the game don't start, can you help me?

i_sexed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
whenever i try to use wad2bin, the console gives me the error of
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.11_3.11.2288.0_x64__qbz5n2kfra8p0\Lib\subprocess.py:1010: RuntimeWarning: line buffering (buffering=1) isn't supported in binary mode, the default buffer size will be used
self.stdin = io.open(p2cwrite, 'wb', bufsize)
C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\PythonSoftwareFoundation.Python.3.11_3.11.2288.0_x64__qbz5n2kfra8p0\Lib\subprocess.py:1016: RuntimeWarning: line buffering (buffering=1) isn't supported in binary mode, the default buffer size will be used
self.stdout = io.open(c2pread, 'rb', bufsize)

and wad2bin gives me the error of

utilsWriteDataToFile: Failed to open ".\wad2bin_wad_data\cert.bin" in write mode! (2).

wadUnpackInstallablePackage: Failed to save certificate chain from "D:/Wii/tools/Rock Band 2 - Tenacious D - Tribute (USA) (DLC) (RB2) (sZC).wad"!

Process failed!

utilsRemoveDirectoryRecursively: Error opening directory ".\wad2bin_wad_data"! (2).

i've used different wads from both mariocube and myrient but i still keep getting this error

SpikeyBoi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know how to get to the "12. Select Download IOS from NUS." part as when I press the A button after doing everything, nothing happens at all

Ottnor

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Does someone know if anyone has the import WAD for Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits (Europe version of Smash Hits)? I can only find a Smash Hits (USA version) WAD on MarioCube.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?