Installing Rock Band, Just Dance, and Guitar Hero DLC on Wii

NOTE FROM @SaulFabre: This tutorial IS NOT MINE, I've restored this tutorial from the original author of this document from the original Google Docs document, and provided again to GBAtemp.net by me if anytime you want to see it in a live website such GBAtemp. So, If you want to do the steps from this tutorial, DO IT UNDER YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

Thanks to the website Wayback Machine for archive this tutorial. This made me easy the search of this tutorial. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THREAD:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock Band, Just Dance and Guitar Hero has downloadable songs that you were able to buy and download when the Wii Shop Channel was up. Back in the day, people would install a small WAD, and then they could get whatever song they wanted for free. Since the Wii Shop Channel closed, this is no longer possible. There is a new way to install song DLC, follow this tutorial to do so.

The process to do this is different from installing a WiiWare or Virtual Console WAD. Instead of installing the WAD to your Wii (which will not work), we will use a tool called wad2bin that will convert the WAD to a format you can install directly on your SD Card. Please follow these instructions carefully and then you can use the DLC. It’s a long process, but it’s fun.

Also, if you are wanting to get DLC working with Rock Band 3, you can also install Rock Band 2 DLC for use with that game.

What you need
Instructions

Section 1: Preparing

1. Get the WADs that you want in the folder these instructions are enclosed in.
a. “Big WADs” contain WADs with all the DLC, but they are large. For Rock Band, these come in multiple parts. If you want to use the big WADs, make sure you have enough storage space on your SD Card.
b. “Split WADs” contain WADs with individual songs. This is good because you can pick and choose what WADs you want to install.
2. Copy xyzzy-mod to the apps folder of your SD Card (and Wii Mod Lite if you don’t have it already).
3. Launch xyzzy-mod from the Homebrew Channel, and run it to dump some keys. These are unique keys that are required in order to use wad2bin.
a. This only needs to be done once, if you want to install more WADs later, you don’t need to run the tool again.

Section 2: Patching IOS
  • If you load your game you want to use DLC with using the Disc Channel, follow the steps in Section 2.1.
  • If you load your game you want to use DLC with using a USB Loader, follow https://wii.guide/cios to install the optimal cIOS if you haven’t already.
Section 2.1: Patching IOS for Use with the Disc Channel

You do not need to do this if you’re using a USB Loader. For each IOS listed here (IOS37, IOS56, and IOS57), if you patched them once you don’t need to patch them again.

1. Launch Wii Mod Lite from the Homebrew Channel.
2. Go to the IOSs menu.
3. Select the IOS corresponding to your game.
a. If you want to use DLC with Rock Band 2, select IOS37.
b. If you want to use DLC with Rock Band 3, Just Dance 2-4 or Guitar Hero, select IOS56.
c. If you want to use DLC with Just Dance 2014-2015, select IOS57.
i. Just Dance 2014-2015 is known to have some strange issues where the DLC doesn’t work. We have managed to get it to work on USB Loaders.
4. Press the A Button.
5. Select Install IOS.
6. Select the revision corresponding to your IOS.
a. If you selected IOS37, select 5663.
b. If you selected IOS56, select 5662.
c. If you selected IOS57, select 5919.
7. Press the A Button twice.
8. Press Right on the +Control Pad.
9. Press Down on the +Control Pad.
10. Press Right on the +Control Pad again.
11. Press the A Button.
12. Select Download IOS from NUS.
13. Wait for it to finish. When it’s done, after a few seconds you will be sent to the previous menu.
a. If you get a screen saying “Exception DSI Occurred!”, try this process again.
14. Exit Wii Mod Lite by pressing the HOME Button.

Section 3: Making the WADs

This section needs to be followed for every time you want to install songs.

1. Insert your SD Card to your computer.
2. Open wad2bin.
3. To the right of “Path to SD root”, select the “...” button and set it to the root of your SD Card.
4. To the right of “Path to keys file”, select the “...” button and select the keys.txt file in the root of your SD Card that xyzzy-mod made.
5. To the right of “Path to cert file”, select the “...” button and select the device.cert file in the root of your SD Card that xyzzy-mod made.
6. Fill in the title ID corresponding to your game.
a. Games
i. Just Dance 2 - 00010000534432
ii. Just Dance 3 - 00010000534A44
iii. Just Dance 4 - 00010000534A58
iv. Just Dance 2014 - 00010000534A4F
v. Just Dance 2015 - 00010000534533
vi. Rock Band 2 - 00010000535A41
vii. Rock Band 3 - 00010000535A42
viii. The Beatles - Rock Band - 0001000052394A
ix. Green Day - Rock Band - 00010000535A41
x. Guitar Hero: World Tour - 00010000535841
xi. Guitar Hero 5 - 00010000535845
xii. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock - 00010000535849
b. Important
i. If you’re using the USA version of your game, type 45 at the end of the ID.
1. For example, Rock Band 3 would be 00010000535A4245.
ii. If you’re using the Europe version of your game, type 50 at the end of the ID.
1. For example, Rock Band 3 would be 00010000535A4250.
7. Only if using Rock Band 2, select the “Use nullkey” box.
8. Select “add wad” to install one WAD file.
a. Or, select “add folder” to install a folder of WADs.
9. Select “run”.
10. Make sure that it created a folder with .bin files in a subfolder of /private/wii/data/ on your SD Card. The private folder needs to be at the root of your SD Card.
11. Move the WAD file starting with “00010000” and ending with “bogus.wad” to a folder called “wad” in your SD Card.

Section 4 - Finalizing

This section needs to be followed for every time you want to install songs.

1. Launch Wii Mod Lite from the Homebrew Channel.
2. Go to the WAD Manager menu.
3. Select the folder on your SD Card called “wad”.
4. Highlight the WAD file starting with “00010000” and ending with “bogus.wad”.
5. Press the - Button.
6. Press the A Button, and then press it again when it prompts you to.
a. Ignore any errors.
7. Now in the menu where you were before to select WAD files, highlight the same WAD file again.
8. Press the A Button, and then press it again when it prompts you to.
a. Ignore any errors.
9. Load the game you made the DLC for and test it out. (If using Just Dance 2014 or Just Dance 2015 with a USB Loader, make sure you're using cIOS 249 installed with https://wii.guide/cios )

Incure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Pls update me if you do post a tutorial I'm so desparate 🙏🙏
I used a tool called wwwunpacker which I cannot find online anymore. So I need to upload it or test with ShowMiiWads if unpacking of the WAD works. In essence is getting the .tik file from the fake WAD of wad2bin and directly copying it to your NAND (EmuNAND doesn't work as well).

I don't understand why wad2bin won't let you get the .tik file only, it would make this much easier and 100% success rate maybe because NAND access can be dangerous?

Reactions: lalalalalalaallllll

Incure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was able to get the ticket file, now I'm just stuck on how to copy to the nand
Great! Then rename the tik file to only the title ID, it should be in the filename already, I think you only need to remove "00010005" in the name. For example you end with a filename called: 735a4c50.tik (This Rock Band 3 sZL DLC).

After this copy the .tik file to your NAND with WiiXplorer (enable NAND access in the settings) into the ticket folder: nand/ticket/00010005/735a4c50.tik. That's the trick.

I needed to look in my comprehensive list of notes on this method (really spend a week on getting a reliable method for Rock Band/Guitar Hero DLC to work), but still need to make a noob friendly tutorial of it and test some more things. For example I am in the Euro region so maybe some folders are different against USA. Use at your own risk for now.

Reactions: CharlieBrownBR

Mindless2831

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The trick for this is not using EmuNAND/SNEEK but just internal NAND for saving and then extract the tickets from the Fake WAD that wad2bin produces and install these manually with Savegame manager GX. When I have some more time I will write a tutorial for this, because after days of testing with Rockband and Guitar Hero this method was foolproof where as installing the Fake WAD with a WAD Manager a hit and miss resultaing in errors like yours.
Can you still write this tutorial? I have tried everything here, as well as everything on every other forum I can find, with no luck. I still keep getting the "Add-on content is out of date and cannot be restored to the system memory." Error. Your solution sounds like the most promising as well, and I am not 100% sure how to do what you are saying. I would absolutely love some help. It would be much appreciated if you could explain a little, I understand if you don't have time to do a tutorial.

StannibalExtreme

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm stuck on the part using wad2bin, I follow the link below and I can't find any download or what "gui version" is referencing, does anyone have a direct link?
  • wad2bin (the GUI version): /DarkMatterCore/wad2bin/tree/v0.7

I've tried running the 0.8 wad2bin.exe and it just flashes some text in a command prompt that I can't read before closing with no effect. Help please. :cry:

DarthSidious666

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Please Incure share your method.
I've tried countless ways and they all fail, your ticket method seems to be the along the correct lines.

Post automatically merged:

Update: OK so I don't know what I've done differently but the dlc is working.

I'll try to outline the steps I did.
As my wii was a bit of a mess after 15 years I redid the cios and apps I needed.

I installed cios to slots 248, 249, 250, 251
I also installed a patched cios 80 to slot 80 as well (I read somewhere that it helps with dlc)
I downloaded the 1UP installer and two dlcs from the repo :gun:(I really hate the stupid file limits, wish it was hosted on GDrive).
I use USB Loader GX, I've tried WiiFlow but it doesn't seem to boot the games correctly.

Load the 1UP DLC installer and select cios 249 > SD Card > dlc song (In my case: Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls)
Install the dlc using Song Wad option.
Install the Title File Wad that was also included with the Title Wad option.

Both processes should complete without error OR they should error with -1022 which is normal.

Load USB Loader GX and make sure that the game loader cios is set to 249 (You can do this as a general option or a per game basis).

Load up the game (In my case it's Guitar Hero World Tour).
:unsure:(I'm not sure if it complains about DLC Catalog being corrupt or not with this method).
On the main menu go to Options > Archive
It should show songs stored on your SD card (including ones you haven't downloaded, think this is due to the Title File Wad).

Important! Only copy the songs you have downloaded to the Wii memory.

The reason I stress this part is because it will either crash/freeze or be silent.

Test it out by going to Quickplay, scroll to the DLC section and there should be a list of songs there (I think it only shows the ones stored on the wii memory)

If it loads and you have the song music playing then it's working. :yaywii:

I'm super confused as to why it's now working.
Hidden Wii Voodoo magic probably :rofl2:

Last edited by DarthSidious666,
  • Sad
Reactions: CharlieBrownBR

flyonapill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having trouble getting very specific songs to get songs recognized by rock band 3, wondering if anyone else also had this problem or got these songs into their library with no issues.

my problem songs are:
we are young by fun
surrender (live) by cheap trick
pumped up kicks - foster the people
a little less sixteen candles, a little more touch me by fall out boy

the first 2 songs were available for download in the mariocube repository but the other 2 were missing, and i was able to find them in the myrient repository and got them there. there's no apparent issues with using these wad files in wad2bin and then following the guide to install the bogus wads, but the songs don't show up in my song library at all.

i guess its possible that these wad files are a select few that have a issue? if anyone else can try to install these to their game and get it to work or report a possible solution it'd be greatly appreciated.

Hyper10n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Please Incure share your method.
I've tried countless ways and they all fail, your ticket method seems to be the along the correct lines.

Post automatically merged:

Update: OK so I don't know what I've done differently but the dlc is working.

I'll try to outline the steps I did.
As my wii was a bit of a mess after 15 years I redid the cios and apps I needed.

I installed cios to slots 248, 249, 250, 251
I also installed a patched cios 80 to slot 80 as well (I read somewhere that it helps with dlc)
I downloaded the 1UP installer and two dlcs from the repo :gun:(I really hate the stupid file limits, wish it was hosted on GDrive).
I use USB Loader GX, I've tried WiiFlow but it doesn't seem to boot the games correctly.

Load the 1UP DLC installer and select cios 249 > SD Card > dlc song (In my case: Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls)
Install the dlc using Song Wad option.
Install the Title File Wad that was also included with the Title Wad option.

Both processes should complete without error OR they should error with -1022 which is normal.

Load USB Loader GX and make sure that the game loader cios is set to 249 (You can do this as a general option or a per game basis).

Load up the game (In my case it's Guitar Hero World Tour).
:unsure:(I'm not sure if it complains about DLC Catalog being corrupt or not with this method).
On the main menu go to Options > Archive
It should show songs stored on your SD card (including ones you haven't downloaded, think this is due to the Title File Wad).

Important! Only copy the songs you have downloaded to the Wii memory.

The reason I stress this part is because it will either crash/freeze or be silent.

Test it out by going to Quickplay, scroll to the DLC section and there should be a list of songs there (I think it only shows the ones stored on the wii memory)

If it loads and you have the song music playing then it's working. :yaywii:

I'm super confused as to why it's now working.
Hidden Wii Voodoo magic probably :rofl2:
Where did you get the 1UP DLC installer?

BootBoot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok i thought i had it but i keep getting errors. I've been trying to get these GHWT/RB2/RB3 songs for days and can't get it. I've followed the guide using an sd and dlc from the repo. My current issue is a wad2bin "wadUnpackContentFromInstallablePackage: SHA-1 checksum mismatch! Data at WAD offset 0x11180 doesnt match content with index xxxx", "wad2bin_wad_data\xxxxxxxx.app not found", "content with index xxxx is bigger than the rest of the WAD package ( doesnt match data at offset 0x11180) skipping..." yet it says the song was successfully unpacked and eventually the bogus wad saved. Installing didn't work of course due to the wad2bin errors.

lalalalalalaallllll

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Great! Then rename the tik file to only the title ID, it should be in the filename already, I think you only need to remove "00010005" in the name. For example you end with a filename called: 735a4c50.tik (This Rock Band 3 sZL DLC).

After this copy the .tik file to your NAND with WiiXplorer (enable NAND access in the settings) into the ticket folder: nand/ticket/00010005/735a4c50.tik. That's the trick.

I needed to look in my comprehensive list of notes on this method (really spend a week on getting a reliable method for Rock Band/Guitar Hero DLC to work), but still need to make a noob friendly tutorial of it and test some more things. For example I am in the Euro region so maybe some folders are different against USA. Use at your own risk for now.
Only just got to attempt it just now, and i tried it for just dance 2015. The songs show up on the sd card archive section but when i transfer them over to wii memory they don't show up in the list and just eat up the storage. No idea why, Game and wii are both pal aswell :( Thanks for the help thoough at least I'm a bit closer than before.

Trip_Away

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Okay guys, installed the DLC in all Just Dance game i own, and almost all works, for except JD 2015, which only show 2014 DLCs (Classics). I follow the tutorial, i changed the IOS and still not working.
What i can do?

TheFVguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR doesn't work.

I tried a lot of things.
Used Nullkey.
Used a different drives (USB and SD card which was 4 GB)

I tried it many times and it still came with the same error screen. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Note that the Game's location is on a USB stick as the SD card has no memory left for it. So DLC and Game are in separate drives, idk if that affects anything.

Also, I'm connected NOR capable of connecting to the internet as I live in an apartment. No Router.

I followed everything displayed as clear, despite this WORLD TOUR keeps displaying the "SD CARD ERROR" Pop-up EVERY TIME.

Please anybody can help me with this?

EDIT:
I tired to install a Rock Band 3 song. Nothing happened. I have no fucking idea what I'm doing wrong.

Last edited by TheFVguy,

Trip_Away

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR doesn't work.

I tried a lot of things.
Used Nullkey.
Used a different drives (USB and SD card which was 4 GB)

I tried it many times and it still came with the same error screen. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Note that the Game's location is on a USB stick as the SD card has no memory left for it. So DLC and Game are in separate drives, idk if that affects anything.

Also, I'm connected NOR capable of connecting to the internet as I live in an apartment. No Router.

I followed everything displayed as clear, despite this WORLD TOUR keeps displaying the "SD CARD ERROR" Pop-up EVERY TIME.

Please anybody can help me with this?

EDIT:
I tired to install a Rock Band 3 song. Nothing happened. I have no fucking idea what I'm doing wrong.
Tried changing to cIos to 249-250?

TheFVguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand what to do with this information

Ok, I'm guessing I have to install a specific ISO file, Unfortunately, I don't understand where to find them. It says it most recommended:
250rev19 (base 37).

But it's not telling me which version to download. I'm just confused and is there specific versions I need to download for each game?
Screenshot 2023-08-29 134644.png

Last edited by TheFVguy,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?