Installing Rock Band, Just Dance, and Guitar Hero DLC on Wii

NOTE FROM @SaulFabre: This tutorial IS NOT MINE, I've restored this tutorial from the original author of this document from the original Google Docs document, and provided again to GBAtemp.net by me if anytime you want to see it in a live website such GBAtemp. So, If you want to do the steps from this tutorial, DO IT UNDER YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

Thanks to the website Wayback Machine for archive this tutorial. This made me easy the search of this tutorial. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THREAD:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock Band, Just Dance and Guitar Hero has downloadable songs that you were able to buy and download when the Wii Shop Channel was up. Back in the day, people would install a small WAD, and then they could get whatever song they wanted for free. Since the Wii Shop Channel closed, this is no longer possible. There is a new way to install song DLC, follow this tutorial to do so.

The process to do this is different from installing a WiiWare or Virtual Console WAD. Instead of installing the WAD to your Wii (which will not work), we will use a tool called wad2bin that will convert the WAD to a format you can install directly on your SD Card. Please follow these instructions carefully and then you can use the DLC. It’s a long process, but it’s fun.

Also, if you are wanting to get DLC working with Rock Band 3, you can also install Rock Band 2 DLC for use with that game.

What you need
Instructions

Section 1: Preparing

1. Get the WADs that you want in the folder these instructions are enclosed in.
a. “Big WADs” contain WADs with all the DLC, but they are large. For Rock Band, these come in multiple parts. If you want to use the big WADs, make sure you have enough storage space on your SD Card.
b. “Split WADs” contain WADs with individual songs. This is good because you can pick and choose what WADs you want to install.
2. Copy xyzzy-mod to the apps folder of your SD Card (and Wii Mod Lite if you don’t have it already).
3. Launch xyzzy-mod from the Homebrew Channel, and run it to dump some keys. These are unique keys that are required in order to use wad2bin.
a. This only needs to be done once, if you want to install more WADs later, you don’t need to run the tool again.

Section 2: Patching IOS
  • If you load your game you want to use DLC with using the Disc Channel, follow the steps in Section 2.1.
  • If you load your game you want to use DLC with using a USB Loader, follow https://wii.guide/cios to install the optimal cIOS if you haven’t already.
Section 2.1: Patching IOS for Use with the Disc Channel

You do not need to do this if you’re using a USB Loader. For each IOS listed here (IOS37, IOS56, and IOS57), if you patched them once you don’t need to patch them again.

1. Launch Wii Mod Lite from the Homebrew Channel.
2. Go to the IOSs menu.
3. Select the IOS corresponding to your game.
a. If you want to use DLC with Rock Band 2, select IOS37.
b. If you want to use DLC with Rock Band 3, Just Dance 2-4 or Guitar Hero, select IOS56.
c. If you want to use DLC with Just Dance 2014-2015, select IOS57.
i. Just Dance 2014-2015 is known to have some strange issues where the DLC doesn’t work. We have managed to get it to work on USB Loaders.
4. Press the A Button.
5. Select Install IOS.
6. Select the revision corresponding to your IOS.
a. If you selected IOS37, select 5663.
b. If you selected IOS56, select 5662.
c. If you selected IOS57, select 5919.
7. Press the A Button twice.
8. Press Right on the +Control Pad.
9. Press Down on the +Control Pad.
10. Press Right on the +Control Pad again.
11. Press the A Button.
12. Select Download IOS from NUS.
13. Wait for it to finish. When it’s done, after a few seconds you will be sent to the previous menu.
a. If you get a screen saying “Exception DSI Occurred!”, try this process again.
14. Exit Wii Mod Lite by pressing the HOME Button.

Section 3: Making the WADs

This section needs to be followed for every time you want to install songs.

1. Insert your SD Card to your computer.
2. Open wad2bin.
3. To the right of “Path to SD root”, select the “...” button and set it to the root of your SD Card.
4. To the right of “Path to keys file”, select the “...” button and select the keys.txt file in the root of your SD Card that xyzzy-mod made.
5. To the right of “Path to cert file”, select the “...” button and select the device.cert file in the root of your SD Card that xyzzy-mod made.
6. Fill in the title ID corresponding to your game.
a. Games
i. Just Dance 2 - 00010000534432
ii. Just Dance 3 - 00010000534A44
iii. Just Dance 4 - 00010000534A58
iv. Just Dance 2014 - 00010000534A4F
v. Just Dance 2015 - 00010000534533
vi. Rock Band 2 - 00010000535A41
vii. Rock Band 3 - 00010000535A42
viii. The Beatles - Rock Band - 0001000052394A
ix. Green Day - Rock Band - 00010000535A41
x. Guitar Hero: World Tour - 00010000535841
xi. Guitar Hero 5 - 00010000535845
xii. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock - 00010000535849
b. Important
i. If you’re using the USA version of your game, type 45 at the end of the ID.
1. For example, Rock Band 3 would be 00010000535A4245.
ii. If you’re using the Europe version of your game, type 50 at the end of the ID.
1. For example, Rock Band 3 would be 00010000535A4250.
7. Only if using Rock Band 2, select the “Use nullkey” box.
8. Select “add wad” to install one WAD file.
a. Or, select “add folder” to install a folder of WADs.
9. Select “run”.
10. Make sure that it created a folder with .bin files in a subfolder of /private/wii/data/ on your SD Card. The private folder needs to be at the root of your SD Card.
11. Move the WAD file starting with “00010000” and ending with “bogus.wad” to a folder called “wad” in your SD Card.

Section 4 - Finalizing

This section needs to be followed for every time you want to install songs.

1. Launch Wii Mod Lite from the Homebrew Channel.
2. Go to the WAD Manager menu.
3. Select the folder on your SD Card called “wad”.
4. Highlight the WAD file starting with “00010000” and ending with “bogus.wad”.
5. Press the - Button.
6. Press the A Button, and then press it again when it prompts you to.
a. Ignore any errors.
7. Now in the menu where you were before to select WAD files, highlight the same WAD file again.
8. Press the A Button, and then press it again when it prompts you to.
a. Ignore any errors.
9. Load the game you made the DLC for and test it out. (If using Just Dance 2014 or Just Dance 2015 with a USB Loader, make sure you're using cIOS 249 installed with https://wii.guide/cios )

atomicteevee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I downloaded Rock Band 3 Deluxe for Wii from the link in the description for this Youtube video: (
Post automatically merged:

Hey there, how were you able to build a working rock band 3 deluxe? i tried and got the game to boot on usb loader gx, then it froze in the manage songs section. i followed the steps closely from github, but the creators say it isn't supported anymore. thanks.
I downloaded Rock Band 3 Deluxe for Wii from the link in the description for this Youtube video:

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for all just dance games, i did have to set custom ios to 250 for dlc to load, no other changes (did not change settings for force ntsc and english). using latest usb loader gx.

For Rock Band 3 Deluxe, i still get stuck at the 'manage songs' screen, though i do see the cutscene with the guy holding the box of records

Last edited by grandosegood,

Shiny_SSB

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi, I'm trying to install the Green Day Rock Band songs onto my vWii but I'm getting errors from wad2bin whenever I try to convert the wads. I'm not sure if I need to install it to rock band 2 or if I need to install it to green day rock band. I'm getting mismatches no matter which of the title ID's I try though. I know for a fact both my green day rock band and my rock band 2 wbfs files are USA, so that's not the issue. Could it be that I'm running the games on a PAL vwii?

Hyper10n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi! When I try to create the .bin files on my SD by hitting the RUN button in the gui, I get the following errors in the console:

C: Program FilesPython311Libsubprocess.py:1008: RuntimeWarning: line buffering (buffering=1) isn’t supported in binary mode, the default buffer size will be used
self.stdin = io.open(p2cwrite, 'wb', bufsize)
C: Program FilesPython311Libsubprocess.py:1014: RuntimeWarning: line buffering (buffering=1) isn’t supported in binary mode, the default buffer size will be used
self.stdout = io.open(c2pread, 'rb', bufsize)

In the gui, the whole progress gets stuck in "Starting ..." after hitting Run.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Edit: Solved!

Last edited by Hyper10n,

Tentatin

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Hi! When I try to create the .bin files on my SD by hitting the RUN button in the gui, I get the following errors in the console:

C: Program FilesPython311Libsubprocess.py:1008: RuntimeWarning: line buffering (buffering=1) isn’t supported in binary mode, the default buffer size will be used
C: Program FilesPython311Libsubprocess.py:1014: RuntimeWarning: line buffering (buffering=1) isn’t supported in binary mode, the default buffer size will be used

Any ideas? Thanks!

how did you solved it? I have the same problem

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how did you solved it? I have the same problem
i would suggest doing it from a pc install, then installing via wad manager

for all just dance games, i did have to set custom ios to 250 for dlc to load, no other changes (did not change settings for force ntsc and english). using latest usb loader gx.

For Rock Band 3 Deluxe, i still get stuck at the 'manage songs' screen, though i do see the cutscene with the guy holding the box of records
also, it appears manage songs is broken on my end, but you can still go into the game and play the actual song

StreetfighterFourve

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got this working after a few days of trouble, so a tip for everyone to prevent a few headaches: This will NOT work with Wiiflow, at least not if you have your games on your SD card. I moved my games to USB and used USB Loader GX and my dlc loaded after that. Also you may need to use the nullkey for Warriors of Rock, of heard mixed things on that.

ddkyz44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Any ideas? Thanks!

How did you solve this? I have the same issue.

ddkyz44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The trick for this is not using EmuNAND/SNEEK but just internal NAND for saving and then extract the tickets from the Fake WAD that wad2bin produces and install these manually with Savegame manager GX. When I have some more time I will write a tutorial for this, because after days of testing with Rockband and Guitar Hero this method was foolproof where as installing the Fake WAD with a WAD Manager a hit and miss resultaing in errors like yours

The trick for this is not using EmuNAND/SNEEK but just internal NAND for saving and then extract the tickets from the Fake WAD that wad2bin produces and install these manually with Savegame manager GX. When I have some more time I will write a tutorial for this, because after days of testing with Rockband and Guitar Hero this method was foolproof where as installing the Fake WAD with a WAD Manager a hit and miss resultaing in errors like yours.
Is there a way you can let me know when you post that tutorial. Not sure if it will help with my issue but I will try anything. No SD card found

Last edited by ddkyz44,

gingamonkey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've been trying for ages to get DLC installed, but STILL getting the same issues trying to install DLC for Guitar Hero/Rock Band titles.

I've followed the guide in this thread to the letter, but no success :sad:

FYI, I have latest version of USB Loader GX, running EVERYTHING off large SD card in Wii SD slot (no external USB), and Mod Mii system updater has also come back clean, with everything up to date.

I have EU versions of games and DLC, and and go through the Wad2Bin process successfully. The issue arises when I try and install any of the WADs - I've tried through both Wii Mod Lite and YAWMM, both with failed results.

This is the output from Wii Mod Lite:

[+] Opening "0001000573584950_bogus.wad", please wait... OK!

[+] Installing WAD, please wait...
>> Reading WAD data...
>> Installing ticket...
>> Installing title...
>> Installing content #91...Error: (-1022) Content did not match hash in TMD

Try with AHBPROT mode or an IOS with the correct permissions.

Press any key to continue.

Any help much appreciated.

ddkyz44

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying for ages to get DLC installed, but STILL getting the same issues trying to install DLC for Guitar Hero/Rock Band titles.

FYI, I have latest version of USB Loader GX, running EVERYTHING off large SD card in Wii SD slot (no external USB), and Mod Mii system updater has also come back clean, with everything up to date.

I have EU versions of games and DLC, and and go through the Wad2Bin process successfully. The issue arises when I try and install any of the WADs - I've tried through both Wii Mod Lite and YAWMM, both with failed results.

Mine does the same and then when i load up rock band 3 and turn on sd card mode it says there's no SD card

Tentatin

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile

if you run your games from the sd card it will not work, i was doing the same w the just dance games and after i run them on a usb the dlc loaded

Hyper10n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How did you solve this? I have the same issue.
Careless mistake: The Title ID of Guitar Hero 5 is 00010000535845. I thought that the 45 at the end would be the USA region code and replaced it with 50 (EU). But the 45 isn't the region code of course, so that the correct Title ID in wad2bin is 0001000053584550 (for Europe). Hope this helps.

Reactions: AkikoKumagara

EmiliasLeggings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would I follow these same steps if I'm modding via the Wii U virtual Wii? I already have the homebrew channel there and everything

Would I follow the same steps if I'm running GH3 through a disc copy that's run through the virtual Wii on Wii U? I already have the homebrew channel there and everything, I just want to make sure the vWii wouldn't have a problem with the same steps

Cicabe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Followed these directions on my vWii, but when trying to load Warriors of Rock from the disc channel, the game fails to load. I even tested another game to make sure I didn't somehow bork my vWii's ability to read discs (thankfully I did not). Did I make a mistake with the cIOS?

Edit: Ooooookay I think the problem is I wasn’t supposed to change IOS56 for vWii. It uses 5918. Problem is, that revision can’t be downloaded from the NUS. I’m supposed to install it from a WAD on my SD Card. Though the only WAD I can find of this revision isn’t named exactly how WiiMod likes (with a 64 in the middle), but even naming it to its liking results in it telling me it failed a hash check. So I’m still stuck. Google has proven to be useless.

Last edited by Cicabe,

scattercrash

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also you may need to use the nullkey for Warriors of Rock, of heard mixed things on that.
nullkey is only necessary for WT-era DLC; GH5 and up should work fine without
edit: this is assuming you're installing the songs to warriors of rock
The issue arises when I try and install any of the WADs - I've tried through both Wii Mod Lite and YAWMM, both with failed results.

error code -1022 is intentional, should work just fine.
some people suggest it works better if you try to uninstall the wad, then install it. no clue if that's true or not, but i do it anyways

Would I follow the same steps if I'm running GH3 through a disc copy that's run through the virtual Wii on Wii U?
GH3 doesn't have DLC on wii:P
but future games do, and i believe the steps are the same. do a nand backup just in case, etc etc, should be good

Last edited by scattercrash,

lalalalalalaallllll

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
The trick for this is not using EmuNAND/SNEEK but just internal NAND for saving and then extract the tickets from the Fake WAD that wad2bin produces and install these manually with Savegame manager GX. When I have some more time I will write a tutorial for this, because after days of testing with Rockband and Guitar Hero this method was foolproof where as installing the Fake WAD with a WAD Manager a hit and miss resultaing in errors like yours.
Pls update me if you do post a tutorial I'm so desparate 🙏🙏

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: a