Installing Rock Band, Just Dance, and Guitar Hero DLC on Wii

NOTE FROM @SaulFabre: This tutorial IS NOT MINE, I've restored this tutorial from the original author of this document from the original Google Docs document, and provided again to GBAtemp.net by me if anytime you want to see it in a live website such GBAtemp. So, If you want to do the steps from this tutorial, DO IT UNDER YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

Thanks to the website Wayback Machine for archive this tutorial. This made me easy the search of this tutorial. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
THREAD:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rock Band, Just Dance and Guitar Hero has downloadable songs that you were able to buy and download when the Wii Shop Channel was up. Back in the day, people would install a small WAD, and then they could get whatever song they wanted for free. Since the Wii Shop Channel closed, this is no longer possible. There is a new way to install song DLC, follow this tutorial to do so.

The process to do this is different from installing a WiiWare or Virtual Console WAD. Instead of installing the WAD to your Wii (which will not work), we will use a tool called wad2bin that will convert the WAD to a format you can install directly on your SD Card. Please follow these instructions carefully and then you can use the DLC. It’s a long process, but it’s fun.

Also, if you are wanting to get DLC working with Rock Band 3, you can also install Rock Band 2 DLC for use with that game.

What you need
Instructions

Section 1: Preparing

1. Get the WADs that you want in the folder these instructions are enclosed in.
a. “Big WADs” contain WADs with all the DLC, but they are large. For Rock Band, these come in multiple parts. If you want to use the big WADs, make sure you have enough storage space on your SD Card.
b. “Split WADs” contain WADs with individual songs. This is good because you can pick and choose what WADs you want to install.
2. Copy xyzzy-mod to the apps folder of your SD Card (and Wii Mod Lite if you don’t have it already).
3. Launch xyzzy-mod from the Homebrew Channel, and run it to dump some keys. These are unique keys that are required in order to use wad2bin.
a. This only needs to be done once, if you want to install more WADs later, you don’t need to run the tool again.

Section 2: Patching IOS
  • If you load your game you want to use DLC with using the Disc Channel, follow the steps in Section 2.1.
  • If you load your game you want to use DLC with using a USB Loader, follow https://wii.guide/cios to install the optimal cIOS if you haven’t already.
Section 2.1: Patching IOS for Use with the Disc Channel

You do not need to do this if you’re using a USB Loader. For each IOS listed here (IOS37, IOS56, and IOS57), if you patched them once you don’t need to patch them again.

1. Launch Wii Mod Lite from the Homebrew Channel.
2. Go to the IOSs menu.
3. Select the IOS corresponding to your game.
a. If you want to use DLC with Rock Band 2, select IOS37.
b. If you want to use DLC with Rock Band 3, Just Dance 2-4 or Guitar Hero, select IOS56.
c. If you want to use DLC with Just Dance 2014-2015, select IOS57.
i. Just Dance 2014-2015 is known to have some strange issues where the DLC doesn’t work. We have managed to get it to work on USB Loaders.
4. Press the A Button.
5. Select Install IOS.
6. Select the revision corresponding to your IOS.
a. If you selected IOS37, select 5663.
b. If you selected IOS56, select 5662.
c. If you selected IOS57, select 5919.
7. Press the A Button twice.
8. Press Right on the +Control Pad.
9. Press Down on the +Control Pad.
10. Press Right on the +Control Pad again.
11. Press the A Button.
12. Select Download IOS from NUS.
13. Wait for it to finish. When it’s done, after a few seconds you will be sent to the previous menu.
a. If you get a screen saying “Exception DSI Occurred!”, try this process again.
14. Exit Wii Mod Lite by pressing the HOME Button.

Section 3: Making the WADs

This section needs to be followed for every time you want to install songs.

1. Insert your SD Card to your computer.
2. Open wad2bin.
3. To the right of “Path to SD root”, select the “...” button and set it to the root of your SD Card.
4. To the right of “Path to keys file”, select the “...” button and select the keys.txt file in the root of your SD Card that xyzzy-mod made.
5. To the right of “Path to cert file”, select the “...” button and select the device.cert file in the root of your SD Card that xyzzy-mod made.
6. Fill in the title ID corresponding to your game.
a. Games
i. Just Dance 2 - 00010000534432
ii. Just Dance 3 - 00010000534A44
iii. Just Dance 4 - 00010000534A58
iv. Just Dance 2014 - 00010000534A4F
v. Just Dance 2015 - 00010000534533
vi. Rock Band 2 - 00010000535A41
vii. Rock Band 3 - 00010000535A42
viii. The Beatles - Rock Band - 0001000052394A
ix. Green Day - Rock Band - 00010000535A41
x. Guitar Hero: World Tour - 00010000535841
xi. Guitar Hero 5 - 00010000535845
xii. Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock - 00010000535849
b. Important
i. If you’re using the USA version of your game, type 45 at the end of the ID.
1. For example, Rock Band 3 would be 00010000535A4245.
ii. If you’re using the Europe version of your game, type 50 at the end of the ID.
1. For example, Rock Band 3 would be 00010000535A4250.
7. Only if using Rock Band 2, select the “Use nullkey” box.
8. Select “add wad” to install one WAD file.
a. Or, select “add folder” to install a folder of WADs.
9. Select “run”.
10. Make sure that it created a folder with .bin files in a subfolder of /private/wii/data/ on your SD Card. The private folder needs to be at the root of your SD Card.
11. Move the WAD file starting with “00010000” and ending with “bogus.wad” to a folder called “wad” in your SD Card.

Section 4 - Finalizing

This section needs to be followed for every time you want to install songs.

1. Launch Wii Mod Lite from the Homebrew Channel.
2. Go to the WAD Manager menu.
3. Select the folder on your SD Card called “wad”.
4. Highlight the WAD file starting with “00010000” and ending with “bogus.wad”.
5. Press the - Button.
6. Press the A Button, and then press it again when it prompts you to.
a. Ignore any errors.
7. Now in the menu where you were before to select WAD files, highlight the same WAD file again.
8. Press the A Button, and then press it again when it prompts you to.
a. Ignore any errors.
9. Load the game you made the DLC for and test it out. (If using Just Dance 2014 or Just Dance 2015 with a USB Loader, make sure you're using cIOS 249 installed with https://wii.guide/cios )

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand what to do with this information

Ok, I'm guessing I have to install a specific ISO file, Unfortunately, I don't understand where to find them. It says it most recommended:
250rev19 (base 37).

But it's not telling me which version to download. I'm just confused and is there specific versions I need to download for each game? View attachment 391046
Those aren't cIOS, those are official IOS files.
Read here. https://wii.guide/cios.html

Use cIOS on slot 250 base 37 and see if that fixes anything for you.

cadeswii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are having an unknown error with your SD card.

Rock band 3 and other games cannot be on the same SD card as your DLC is stored. RB3 must be on disc or USB storage.

I think.

Last edited by cadeswii,

TheFVguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1693371045110.png

Ok so. I gave up on the World Tour.
I'm trying to download the big WADs of songs for Rock Band 3. But each time I try running it through wad2bin. It keeps saying the process failed.
I could do each song individually, but that would take unnecessary space and be too time-consuming.

Any fix for this?

EDIT: Ok, so songs that are sZJ simply DO NOT WORK. I tired download the songs from that indvidually and tested it. They simply don't work. Songs from ZK and ZL seem to work fine, even if they always fail when using wad2bin.

Not sure if this is normal, but if so: what the hell? lol.

Last edited by TheFVguy,
  • Haha
Reactions: CharlieBrownBR

Monkey79

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine does the same and then when i load up rock band 3 and turn on sd card mode it says there's no SD card
Did you get this issue resolved? I'm having the same problem even when trying to use the new rock band 3 deluxe with riivolution.

cadeswii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you get this issue resolved? I'm having the same problem even when trying to use the new rock band 3 deluxe with riivolution.
Mine does the same and then when i load up rock band 3 and turn on sd card mode it says there's no SD card
I've been trying for ages to get DLC installed, but STILL getting the same issues trying to install DLC for Guitar Hero/Rock Band titles.

I've followed the guide in this thread to the letter, but no success :sad:

FYI, I have latest version of USB Loader GX, running EVERYTHING off large SD card in Wii SD slot (no external USB), and Mod Mii system updater has also come back clean, with everything up to date.

I have EU versions of games and DLC, and and go through the Wad2Bin process successfully. The issue arises when I try and install any of the WADs - I've tried through both Wii Mod Lite and YAWMM, both with failed results.

This is the output from Wii Mod Lite:

Any help much appreciated.
I believe your Rock band 3 game cant be on the SD card if it is. Needs to be on USB.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Linking a thread others might find usefull if you are wanting to have games on you SD card and Rock Band 3 on a USB device for DLC purposes. It will allow you to have game channels on the home menu of both SD and USB games simultaneously while also supporting Ocarina cheats to bypass the 1000 song limit.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/which-h...ts-for-game-channels-made-with-wiigsc.639098/

Last edited by cadeswii,

edward_kings

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been trying for ages to get DLC installed, but STILL getting the same issues trying to install DLC for Guitar Hero/Rock Band titles.

I've followed the guide in this thread to the letter, but no success :sad:

FYI, I have latest version of USB Loader GX, running EVERYTHING off large SD card in Wii SD slot (no external USB), and Mod Mii system updater has also come back clean, with everything up to date.

I have EU versions of games and DLC, and and go through the Wad2Bin process successfully. The issue arises when I try and install any of the WADs - I've tried through both Wii Mod Lite and YAWMM, both with failed results.

This is the output from Wii Mod Lite:

Any help much appreciated.
Same. I tried everything

My Wii (NTSC) is modded with the newest instructions of the cIOS guide with d2x cIOS Installer (56-249 57-250)

Did every step from Mariocube tutorial for GH5, loading the DLC (Big WAD) into my sd card (4GB of files checked, 16-lenght string with 45 for USA region, keys dumped and selected successfully)

Used WiiModLite and YAWMM to install and uninstall the bogus WADs with several combinations of steps (Uninstall-Install, Install-Uninstall-Uninstall, Uninstall-Uninstall-Install) but nothing seems to work

The SD card (FAT32 microSD from sandisk 64gb with adapter) is detected but no songs are displayed, alredy tried removing and inserting the SD.

I'm using USBLoaderGX 3.0 1248. Please help with any new instruction

• Sad

MPS64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using wad2bin, and when i click on run, I get this error:

Paths must not exceed 259 characters. Relative paths are supported.

The required directory tree for the *.bin file(s) will be created at the output directory.

You can set your SD card root directory as the output directory.

Can anyone help?

doodlebro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was having trouble like many of you, ended up sorting it with the following:

• Process takes a loooooong time to get through >100 songs. Lots of output that makes it seem like there are errors
  • Do a small number of songs first for each game, you will waste a lot of time debugging the whole set
  • Rock Band 2 DLC wasn't showing up properly and told me the data was corrupt. I got it working in RB3DX though. I had confused the nullkey portion to mean the title ID is not necessary, this is false. Once I properly pasted in the title ID for RB2 AND checked nullkey, everything shows up in RB3DX
  • Use USB Loader GX and RB3DX. RB2 always seems to have issues with the RB2 specific DLC/my SD card, but it reads fine in RB3DX. I did get DLC to work in RB3 (not DX) using WiiFlow, but always had issues with RB2 that way and settled on
  • Most important, use YAWMM-mod to install the wads. Another forum had this solution, still you should uninstall and reinstall everything, batch works fine. I leave the wads on the SD root so they get updated properly when I add new songs. Not sure why the guide has so many footguns like moving these files so they never update again. Keep it simple.

CharlieBrownBR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was having trouble like many of you, ended up sorting it with the following:
  • Do a small number of songs first for each game, you will waste a lot of time debugging the whole set
  • Rock Band 2 DLC wasn't showing up properly and told me the data was corrupt. I got it working in RB3DX though. I had confused the nullkey portion to mean the title ID is not necessary, this is false. Once I properly pasted in the title ID for RB2 AND checked nullkey, everything shows up in RB3DX
I second what @doodlebro is telling you, guys.

Rock Band 3 was, by far, the one which was friendlier to me. Basically the first time I tried Rock Band 3 with ONE Rock Band 3 DLC song it has worked.

Then, tried a Rock Band 2 DLC song: RB3 recognizes it, but when loading, tells me "content out of date".

Then I redid the process using "--nullkey" together with Rock Band 3 ID as parent ID (apparently I could have used Rock Band 2 ID, as @doodlebro did). Tried again and there was the song.

So, try it with ONE song from each. Go for the Big WADs once things are initially working, and you have a better picture of what to do in case of failure.
Post automatically merged:

I'm using wad2bin, and when i click on run, I get this error:

Paths must not exceed 259 characters. Relative paths are supported.

The required directory tree for the *.bin file(s) will be created at the output directory.

You can set your SD card root directory as the output directory.

Can anyone help?
@MPS64 , some questions:
  • are you using the Python wrapper? if so, maybe you could try the command line version directly?
  • are you able to bring any of the involved files (key, certificate, WAD and output dir) to a shorter path?
As I didn't have any problems with wad2bin so far, I can only think about those two points at the moment.
Post automatically merged:

In Warriors of Rock, I get the error that I need the GHWT AddOn Content Update to play the WT DLC songs. Do I need to be using nullkey instead, of am I out of luck with the shop being closed now?
I am also facing this very same problem (need a Content Update for GHWT DLC songs to play GH5 or GHWOR), opened a thread on that yesterday. So far, no answers, but let's see if we can get some results on this.

I still have some more tries to do on that. I already used nullkey as you thought, next I'll try to use different parent IDs to see if that makes a difference. Who knows...

Last edited by CharlieBrownBR,

MrFlamedramon

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
After 2 exhausting days i got GHWT to read the DLCs fine, im gonna say my steps here, if anything matters im using the Europe version of WT

-cIOS on Slot 250 base 37 (installed with d2x over web)
-In this case im using Split WAD, pass the wad in wad2bin (Getting your keys with zyzzy) and in my case using nullkey for WT made it work
-You also need the title wad
-Instead of using WiiMod or any manager i used OneUP DLC Manager, also setting it to IOS 250, that also made it work
-In USB Loader GX i set the game to load with slot 250

not sure if this helps but im using a black RVL-001 Wii, USB HDD and a 1GB oficial Wii SD card

with all of this i made the DLCs work like a charm

EDIT: same method works good for GH5, just dont use nullkey

EDIT2: Moving from my Wii 1GB card to my Kingston 16GB since the wii one was tiny for the DLCs, GHWT now gives me the error of "The device inserted in the SD Card Slot cannot be used", so i suspect GHWT cant use SD cards over 2GB (Basiclly HC cards)

Last edited by MrFlamedramon,
Reactions: grandosegood

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so far, this also appears to work if your games are injected into wii u hard drive. i would advise connecting to the wii u e shop, then opening up the vwii eshop at least once

TwinkleToesJr

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I keep getting an error when trying to get the wad's loaded on to Just Dance 4 gives me a license been deleted and needs to be reinstalled anyone know this applies to all just dance i tested via disc

Hyper10n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
After 2 exhausting days i got GHWT to read the DLCs fine, im gonna say my steps here, if anything matters im using the Europe version of WT

-cIOS on Slot 250 base 37 (installed with d2x over web)
-In this case im using Split WAD, pass the wad in wad2bin (Getting your keys with zyzzy) and in my case using nullkey for WT made it work
-You also need the title wad
-Instead of using WiiMod or any manager i used OneUP DLC Manager, also setting it to IOS 250, that also made it work
-In USB Loader GX i set the game to load with slot 250

not sure if this helps but im using a black RVL-001 Wii, USB HDD and a 1GB oficial Wii SD card

with all of this i made the DLCs work like a charm

EDIT: same method works good for GH5, just dont use nullkey

EDIT2: Moving from my Wii 1GB card to my Kingston 16GB since the wii one was tiny for the DLCs, GHWT now gives me the error of "The device inserted in the SD Card Slot cannot be used", so i suspect GHWT cant use SD cards over 2GB (Basiclly HC cards)
I just can't find the OneUP DLC Installer / Manager on the whole internet. Can anybody please share a link/file???

radicial

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
HI, for some reason i'm unable to install the bogus.wad file. It just says "Error opening directory ".\wad2bin_wad_data"!"

Lavsma

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I decided to test it yesterday and I noticed a bug in Just Dance 2. After playing a song it simply disappears from the menu as if it had been deleted, if you go to the files section in the settings menu it isn't there either, but when you restart the game all the songs that disappeared come back. Is this normal?

DorklyDude23

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So has anyone confirmed this methodology works for vWii / Wii U via disc method? IOS 37 / IOS 56 was installed on my Wii U following this method, but it results in a black screen / crash after starting the game in the Disc Menu. It can be fixed via Decaffeinator to restore the IOS' back to the Wii U's default, so it's not a "brick". I don't understand how this can work for the vWii given that it seems to only want to use IOS 37 v5919 and IOS 56 v5918.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto