Hacking RB2 Customs - Proof of Concept

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
ccfman2004 said:
Couldn't we use the cIOS which has SDHC support?That would solve one problem, leaving two. The cIOS doesn't even use the same calls as the standard IOSes.
QUOTEHow does RB2 recognize the custom DLC if it uses a different slot than regular DLC?
DLC can be in any slot, the game knows where each individual song is.

Your saying as long as the save file has the location of the custom DLC slot, RB2 will know where to look.

As for cIOS, I thought it is based on a regular IOS.

pj-uk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
tueidj said:
Bad news - due to the incredibly crappy way nintendo implemented SD support, it doesn't look like I'll be able to hack in support for SDHC cards. This is due to not one but three roadblocks:
- IOS
- Rock Band 2's primary executable (main.dol)
- the separate SD support library (also on the disc)

Maybe some time in the future it will be done, but I don't have the necessary time to spend on it now.

What about USB support to an external drive?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ccfman2004 said:
Your saying as long as the save file has the location of the custom DLC slot, RB2 will know where to look.Yup.
QUOTEAs for cIOS, I thought it is based on a regular IOS.
The SDHC module uses a completely different interface to the regular SD module, basically written only to be used by the USB/SD Loader. Besides that still leaves the PowerPC side of things to fix, where everything uses 32-bit byte level addressing (and hence can't access any further than 2^31 bytes).

Gamemaster1379

Trophies
Website
1379tech.110mb.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure it's far from priority, but theoretically, you could solve the other two problems by modifying the other two errors on the disc, thus allowing SDHC? I know this would mean that retail disc owners wouldn't have a shot at SDHC this way, but I'm still curious.

crezwell

Trophies
XP
Country
tueidj said:
ccfman2004 said:
Your saying as long as the save file has the location of the custom DLC slot, RB2 will know where to look.Yup.
QUOTEAs for cIOS, I thought it is based on a regular IOS.
The SDHC module uses a completely different interface to the regular SD module, basically written only to be used by the USB/SD Loader. Besides that still leaves the PowerPC side of things to fix, where everything uses 32-bit byte level addressing (and hence can't access any further than 2^31 bytes).
Kind of lost me on that last line, got laymans terms for that part?
smile.gif

Cheers for trying anyhow, maybe in future releases eh.
By my reckoning with RB1 taking 1.01gb, that leaves room for another 45-50 songs (90-100 in total). With RB1 and all track packs coming in at 135 songs give or take, im sure therell be 40ish songs i wouldnt care for.
Can songs be swapped out individually? If you max your SDCard, can one track be deleted and another be individually inserted from a Pack?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gamemaster1379 said:
theoretically, you could solve the other two problems by modifying the other two errors on the disc, thus allowing SDHC?
Sure in theory, but...QUOTEMaybe some time in the future it will be done, but I don't have the necessary time to spend on it now.
It would take a fair amount of reverse-engineering to accomplish.

wiimanizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pj-uk said:
tueidj said:
Bad news - due to the incredibly crappy way nintendo implemented SD support, it doesn't look like I'll be able to hack in support for SDHC cards. This is due to not one but three roadblocks:
- IOS
- Rock Band 2's primary executable (main.dol)
- the separate SD support library (also on the disc)

Maybe some time in the future it will be done, but I don't have the necessary time to spend on it now.

What about USB support to an external drive?
yeah! what about USB support? there got to be some way to work this out, right? i mean all i use for storage are single 1gb SD card and a 16gb flash drive

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It might be possible to redirect it to USB mass storage but you'd still be limited to 2GB max. Also:
- the USB 2.0 cIOSes have poor compatability with rockband instruments
- If you were running the game from a HD, loading DLC from the same HD would probably cause lag and possibly crashing
- If you had the game on a USB HD and the DLC on a USB stick, no free port for instruments
- 2GB SD cards cost about $5 these days

pj-uk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't remember which page it was on, but someone mentioned that the entire RB1 track list only took up 1.1GB right? That still leaves plenty of room for customs.

Can you still use SD cards that are larger than 2GB using the "cheat" method by ensuring there is

caitsith2

Trophies
a secret location 93 million miles from the sun
Website
www.caitsith2.com
XP
Country
Canada
The less than 2GB free does indeed work for 4GB, since it is still possible to address 4GB with 32 bits. However, because the games SD lib was only programmed with 32 bit addressing variables, rather than 64 bit addressing variables, even if the IOS roadblock was cleared, you still would not be able to use SDHC cards greater than 4GB, without hacking the main executable.

Should be possible in theory though, to hack and run the hacked executable with game disc access priveleges, allowing the door to still be open for retail disc owners.

Robotic Earthlin

Trophies
XP
Country
On other forums I've seen some people say that 4GB SD cards are rather troublesome with RB2 if you're on System Menu 4.0. They have to start the game with a

HisshouBuraiKen

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Small suggestion - I see you guys have "installer" as one of your to-dos. Can you just put this in a regular old zip/rar when it's done? I have having to run installers (like with WBFS for example) when the program's likely to be updated constantly anyways. Just being able to drag/drop/replace files is much easier.

AerialX

Certified Sociopath
Trophies
Website
aaronlindsay.com
XP
Country
Canada
HisshouBuraiKen said:
Small suggestion - I see you guys have "installer" as one of your to-dos. Can you just put this in a regular old zip/rar when it's done? I have having to run installers (like with WBFS for example) when the program's likely to be updated constantly anyways. Just being able to drag/drop/replace files is much easier.
We mean an installer application to "install" the custom DLC onto your SD card (and one homebrew installer to install from the SD card on to your game on the Wii). We won't force you to run a Windows installer or anything, though it will be an option since some people like the convenience of installed applications.
So to answer your question, yes the PC application will come as a normal zip as well. Making a Windows installer is definitely not todo-list worthy
tongue.gif

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
caitsith2 said:
Should be possible in theory though, to hack and run the hacked executable with game disc access priveleges, allowing the door to still be open for retail disc owners.
Most of the SD code is in a separate shared library on the disc. Patching the main program before running it is fairly straightforward, patching a library that is loaded by the main program is a bit more difficult.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yltcaxE +1