[PPOTW] Do you like micro transactions?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by T-hug, Dec 15, 2013.

?

Do you like micro transactions?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    2.8%
  2. No

537 vote(s)
    70.7%
  3. Sometimes

187 vote(s)
    24.6%
  4. Other (please specify)

15 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    [​IMG]

Recently GT6 came out and was filled with micro transactions along with Forza 5 that contains over $2000 worth of micro transactions.
    How do you feel about this? Do micro transactions have any place in a £50/$60 full retail game? Should they only exist in a F2P model?
    Do you like them as they save you time?
    Let us know in the comments!

If you have an idea for a poll you would like to see on the portal just send me a PM with PPOTW in the title and your questions and answers for the poll.

2. Gabbynaruto

Gabbynaruto GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2010
    Romania
    Outer Space
    Personally, I'm fine only with micro-transactions for aesthetic customization in a f2p game. But, for a full price game, give me the whole product, dammit. I didn't pay or a demo.

3. ShadowSoldier

ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Oct 8, 2009
    Canada
    I don't mind actual DLC, but I don't consider micro-transactions DLC.

DLC = maps, quests, worlds, stories.
    microtransactions = clothes. hats. wheels. guns.

Microtransactions need to piss off. Every developer who uses them can go die.

midnight1001, DCG, EZ-Megaman and 6 others like this.
  4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Though I can not say I would ever commend a developer for using them, not least of all because it removes the customise your character functionality present for years in things similar to pay to complete DLC and cheats and trophments all fighting it out, I can happily ignore their presence. Equally though I would probably consider it taking the piss I am OK with seeing them in "full price" games as well.

Now the chances of me ever paying for such a thing.... not likely.

Oh and just to round it out I am OK with on disc DLC.

I have played several games where new weapons would radically change how the game works. Often far more than a few extra sidequests ever would. Granted I figured you were probably speaking about the Ubisoft model where it is mostly same thing in a slightly different skin rather than what I imagine the Team Fortress 2 thing plays out as or as it might play out in Ninja Gaiden or Japanese games in general.

5. Satangel

Satangel BEAST

Nov 27, 2006
    Belgium
    Bruges, Belgium
    Should only exist in F2P models, no where else. Especially in full fledged games that cost 50/60 USD, that's just a disgrace if there are still microtransactions in there.

WhiteMaze likes this.
  6. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Uh, I hate this thing.
    This is why I hate MMO game too. Most of their update are new clothes and accessory, none of those thing actually affect the game except it make you stat higher and you look cool.

7. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Now there are many reasons to dislike what get called MMOs but if it makes you stat higher does that not actually change the game? Higher level caps, higher stats or more easily to get stats at certain levels changes things quite a bit.

If you meant the pay to win thing where you can only play effectively should you buy the items then carry on.

8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    nobody else loves day one on disc dlc?

I'm generally fine with most micro transactions, as long as you can still attain said item without spending real world money (by grinding ect...)
    then there is "pay 2 win", that aspect needs to be gotten rid of

9. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    If A. getting said item without microtransactions is possible AND B. does not require grinding for the sake of grinding I'm fine with it. For F2P games I'm fine with microtransactions as long as it doesn't become pay2win. They're not "the bane of gaming" or anything like that though.

mysticwaterfall likes this.
  10. Smuff

Smuff Fossilized Gamer

Jul 29, 2006
    By the sea
    Just another tactic to squeeze every last penny out of consumers. I hate them.

WhiteMaze likes this.
  11. stae1234

stae1234 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2013
    United States
    I'm okay when it's to unlock something much quicker.
    But if its something that is ONLY unlockable by paying for it and the game is nearly impossible to get through without paying for it, the game becomes instant turnoff.

Looking at you Gamevil, EA.

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    In single player or online?

If single player then we used to have that sort of thing as normal cheats. If online then carry on, unless it is an absolutely ridiculous amount of time in which case I might have problems unless there are quests/contents and the like.

13. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

Sep 3, 2007
    If you paid for a game there should not be a single micro transaction in the game what so ever. You already bought the game why the hell add micro transactions. On free to play games I don't mind it at all as long as it doesn't becomes pay to win/have fun.

stanleyopar2000 and tbgtbg like this.
  14. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Micro transactions are just another way to make people think they are paying less for a game than they really are. So far all of the games with micro transactions have been filled with them and all of the micro transactions add up pretty quickly.
    Now I can see on free MMO's like buying from cash shops. But on offline games where you paid the full price for the game already, it's just another way to get more money out of the customer.

WhiteMaze likes this.
  15. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't mind microtransactions as long as the content is not necessary for completing the game. "Pay to Win" scenarios are not to my liking, but the occasional cool skin is nice and welcome. As long as the microtransactions system doesn't give players who are willing to pay an unreasonable advantage against those who play the stock version, it's okay. :)

16. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    I think I only accountered micro transaction in FTP. I think I'm going to treat them like I treat DLC. As long as they don't take away from the game or need them to progress through the game, I didn't see the problem.

17. EyeZ

EyeZ GBAtemp Addict

Dec 4, 2009
    I have previously made some micro transactions, not many, just the the occasional, can't say i'm a fan of them but if i'm really enjoying a game then i can be enticed.

18. Enchilada

Enchilada GBAtemp Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Romania
    Hyrule
    I hate micro-transaction, especially the ones from the mobile games.

19. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    I wouldn't mind if they were actually micro and cosmetic only - but they aren't. We are talking about several euros for something to be done within game instead of waiting whole IRL day and something that is needed to make game playable!

Only company I can trust with microtransactions is Valve. TF2 is literally only hats and everything else can be aquired any other way or just simply playing normally and every weapon is as good as other one. If you want to go wild grate key is under couple euros and there can be almost anything! If it sucks you can transform it to metal and trade it for another key!

WhiteMaze likes this.
  20. omgpwn666

omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

Jun 14, 2008
    United States
    Florida
    Sometimes, depending on the content. I would never buy horse armor, but if they used DLC to add more accessible Pokemon in the wild for Pokemon X and Y I would probably buy, depending on the price. <--- That's just an example.