Picofly AIO Thread

INeFFeCTiVE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what is the deal with these "picoflys" on ali? Are they legit? I am all set for modding with the waveshare version, but was wondering if the ali ones offer any benefits over doing it the normal way.

Also, flashed the latest firmware on my RPI and got a single yellow flash. Is that expected?

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what is the deal with these "picoflys" on ali? Are they legit? I am all set for modding with the waveshare version, but was wondering if the ali ones offer any benefits over doing it the normal way.

Also, flashed the latest firmware on my RPI and got a single yellow flash. Is that expected?
Practically speaking, any board that has an RP2040 at its core, and the proper pins broken out onto solder-able pads, is usable and "legit" as a picofly.

Also, as of 2.70+, a yellow LED is expected after flashing firmware to a picofly.

taspankya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok. finally got around to installing this thing. i put 2.72 on the rp2040 and turned booted up the switch.
Got a series of greenish looking blinks (video provided) but .... It is booting into OFW.

Video

I don't see a white, blue and a true green color like has been in some of the vids

My points all seem to be connected properly.
Am i reading the blinks correctly? is that green/success?
Do i need extra resistors on the CLK and CMD?
I used the hwfly ribbon with the mosfets already installed and am running the wire from a bridged 3 and 4 pin.
Also is it possible to rule out the DAT at this point? i really don't want to open that shield again bleh.

Attachments

• 20230519_135928.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 35

rehius

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok. finally got around to installing this thing. i put 2.72 on the rp2040 and turned booted up the switch.
Got a series of greenish looking blinks (video provided) but .... It is booting into OFW.

Video

I don't see a white, blue and a true green color like has been in some of the vids

I used the hwfly ribbon with the mosfets already installed and am running the wire from a bridged 3 and 4 pin.
Also is it possible to rule out the DAT at this point? i really don't want to open that shield again bleh.
please use the fixed firmware from the main post

Reactions: lightninjay

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Video

I would wager that you downloaded 2.72 from github, didn't you?

Pretty sure that version has not been updated yet, get 2.72 from this post

https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-a-hwfly-switch-modchip.622701/page-78#post-10090767

EDIT:

DANG, missed it by literal SECONDS lol, good looking out Rehius.

Reactions: Adran_Marit

KorewaKiyo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Using a RP2040-One, pretty sure it's fine but just wanna check,

Can I take off the 4MB flash off the back?

I'm guessing the picofly fw installs to the rp2040 internal flash?

Thanks

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

taspankya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would wager that you downloaded 2.72 from github, didn't you?

Pretty sure that version has not been updated yet, get 2.72 from this post

https://gbatemp.net/threads/picofly-a-hwfly-switch-modchip.622701/page-78#post-10090767

EDIT:

DANG, missed it by literal SECONDS lol, good looking out Rehius.

thanks Rehius and lightninjay
i did take the github version.

gotta figure out a way to flash this thing again because, of course, i removed the usb connector and buttons prematurely.

i guess i could short the buttons with tweezers and use a usb and breadboard to some pins
i also have a usb uart dongle, but i don't think that would work.
i also have another waveshare zero i guess i could open as a last resort ...

hmmm... any suggestions?

EDIT: NVM i'll flash a new one. if/when it works and i take the usb off it i'll try to drop it onto this one. we'll see how it goes, those guys like to melt :)

Last edited by taspankya,
  • Love
Reactions: lightninjay

ypeeLs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Successful 2040-Tiny install!

Attachments

• 2023-05-19 21.51.42.jpg
    2023-05-19 21.51.42.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 39

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I removed the github builds, seems to be causing issues for people :/
Just for the record, I was not necessarily referring to your github builds. There is a github repo that has been storing the uploads that Rehius makes here. A google search of "picofly github" pops it up pretty close to the top, maintained by Ansem-SoD

Reactions: QuiTim and H3xxCat

QuiTim

Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I would like to ask you about the soldering of the latest mosfet that you published before.
I understood it as shown in the diagram on the left, is that correct?
Edited:
The diagram is wrong (because it's the upside down of the picture). The picture is Correct.
You need the >1k resistor between Gate and Source (GND) so in case the Gate does not close correctly the resistor will draw the power and close it.
Post automatically merged:

Successful 2040-Tiny install!
Looks great.
Did you replace the resistors yourself or did you manage to get a revised model with correct 47r?

Attachments

• Resistor.jpg
    Resistor.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by QuiTim,

koselillo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
hi, im going to do the instalation, i have one question, in all the tutorials they put the reset button in case the picofly needs to learn again, has someone needed to reset it? im planing to install it on the stich of a couple friends and i dont want them to come to me to reset their swith haha, so i need to know if it will work for a long period of time without needing to reset it, thanks!

also, im planing doing it on mosfets, looking for more info about the mosfet install some people install 2 mosfets, others 1, is there any difference?

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hi, im going to do the instalation, i have one question, in all the tutorials they put the reset button in case the picofly needs to learn again, has someone needed to reset it? im planing to install it on the stich of a couple friends and i dont want them to come to me to reset their swith haha, so i need to know if it will work for a long period of time without needing to reset it, thanks!

also, im planing doing it on mosfets, looking for more info about the mosfet install some people install 2 mosfets, others 1, is there any difference?
You should not need to reset the picofly, if it fails glitching, it is designed to reset itself and try again.

Also, 1 mosfet properly installed should be sufficient, but it can't hurt to install two mosfets across two capacitors for added redundancy and potentially a faster glitch time.

Reactions: QuiTim

agus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
can you explain. What does this mean?

can you explain. What does this mean?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-05-20-22-35-20-120_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-20-22-35-20-120_com.android.chrome.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_2023-05-20-22-35-20-120_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-20-22-35-20-120_com.android.chrome.jpg
    652.5 KB · Views: 37

koselillo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
You should not need to reset the picofly, if it fails glitching, it is designed to reset itself and try again.

Also, 1 mosfet properly installed should be sufficient, but it can't hurt to install two mosfets across two capacitors for added redundancy and potentially a faster glitch time.
okay, thanks! other question, can nintendo ban my console playing online legit games (bougth or phisical) or just being connected to internet? should i keep the internet off most of the time to avoid it? thanks

Ill pass a few photos when the aliexpress parts come hahaha

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: more of a platinum guy myself personally