Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Smiles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what do you think? 26awg for the connections to cpu and 32 wag for logic. I didn’t realize it was this tiny. Now I have to wait on a tool to open the switch because the screws aren’t Phillips but some tri bit thing. I checked each wire with a multimeter for continuity.

Attachments

• BE2582D2-0061-4A02-BAC3-18B8E8BC8813.jpeg
    BE2582D2-0061-4A02-BAC3-18B8E8BC8813.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 51
Last edited by Smiles,
  • Wow
Reactions: lightninjay

Kiuxn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
The mosfet -> APU soldering must be as good as possible, to reduce resistance and improve glitching. So 0.2mm diameter wires, good flux, low temp soldering paste pre-applied onto the caps

20k is not working anymore, that was for 1.x fw only

there are some consoles in the wild that give glitch error (cyan LED) but work fine after pressing reset on the rp2040, hopefully that will be fixed

no resistors on the eMMC lines can lead to data corruption

single mosfet is enough, it is 76A capable. but it's better to connect it to both capacitors

you can fit rp2040-zero without desoldering parts, but you must cut the cover then

in total now 5 boards are supported (ws2040-zero/one, xiao2040, itsybitsy, RP Pico), the waveshare is a default one, for others you must bridge detection pins

Unpatched v1 also works, but people keep asking that

with really low battery you can see the IPL screen, but further load may fail

putting .uf2 firmware file over USB is enough, no need to erase or reset it in any way

update through the toolbox is safe (unless there is a critical bug in the new firmware you are writing). it completes only after a successful boot with the new firmware. otherwise the old firmware starts on the next boot.

picofly automatically resets (and reflashes sdloader into the BOOT0) in case of system update detected, multiple unsuccessful boots, pico firmware update, and even putting into different console.

purple LED might be also caused by bad RST connection

long thin CMD/CLK/D0 wires may also cause "slow eMMC mode" and data corruption

despite of detection pins, all possible mosfet gate pins (6, 22, 15, 24) are pulled down to prevent accidental CPU burn by the high current

there is a possibility of unsupported eMMC, for example, it has never been tested on Micron ones

rp2040 consumes a bit of power after the glitch, now it's 0.6 mA, can't go lower, hardware limits.
Does sir mean that a single mos can also run well on the V2 model?

Reactions: FreeLander

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
hello everyone, sorry for my english.
I have a few doubts.
I have a lite, the picofly uses the same points as hwfly, because I have seen in the images that you don't get the 3.3v from the same place or is it an alternative point and if so, should it be bridged?
View attachment 365009
another would be that in the capture of hwfly a point is used but in yours you mark two points with a circle that must be joined or choose one of the two?
View attachment 365010
RST is ONLY the LEFT square point(in that cyan circle)
either one, they all work in pair(interconnected)

Last edited by jkyoho,

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL, I was scared for a sec too, my memo get jam for some reason
Currently modding my GF's switch lite. Bout to solder in my hwfly flex cable, I went bare mosfet on my first switch because I ordered a v2 thinking it was Mariko. Cracked it open, patched V1! Welp, Mariko cable will work for the lite :)

Phantomas77

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
what do you think? 26awg for the connections to cpu and 32 wag for logic. I didn’t realize it was this tiny. Now I have to wait on a tool to open the switch because the screws aren’t Phillips but some tri bit thing. I checked each wire with a multimeter for continuity.
I think it's overkill and with a such wide diameter there's more chance for shorts and ripping off the pads from the PCB.

AWG30 for APU MOSFET(s) is enough.
AWG30 for power is more than enough.
AWG36 or higher (enamel wire) for the rest is good.

Reactions: LogicalMadness

LazarusGX4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
....temporary wiring (will be cleaned up 😁)...

..it initially trained for 3sec then green led (this was my 2nd power on)...

...Thanks to everyone who helped developing/ contributed to this Mod! 🎉🎉🎉

Last edited by LazarusGX4,
Reactions: FreeLander

Kiuxn

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Erista (V1) used the 2.65 version upgraded from the toolbox to have a red light and cannot enter hekate or OFW. What does the red light mean??

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
...oops! forgot to include it in the pic 😅
..this is only what i got on hand..

View attachment 364927
I smell jaycar no clean flux

Edit and solder ;)
Post automatically merged:

Erista (V1) used the 2.65 version upgraded from the toolbox to have a red light and cannot enter hekate or OFW. What does the red light mean??
When you flashed the fw what color led flashed, red or green? It should be red if not solder thw rgb jumper

• Wow
Reactions: LazarusGX4

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
My friend's switch lite let me help repair, but his data0 point is broken, the original has been installed 2.5 picofly, but now can not boot, please ask this how to continue to install picofly. thanx

Attachments

• 20230415-180352-555.jpg
    20230415-180352-555.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 49

vagenam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi guys. I Succesfully (i think) installed the flex cable but in the proces i mangled the crap out of the cpu shield thing. Do you think it will be fine if i just screw on the heatsink on?
unnamed.jpg

Phantomas77

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi guys. I Succesfully (i think) installed the flex cable but in the proces i mangled the crap out of the cpu shield thing. Do you think it will be fine if i just screw on the heatsink on?
It should, though use some fine pliers and try at least to work on those angles, making it all planar. The material is quite flexible and should be easy to model.

vagenam

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It should, though use some fine pliers and try at least to work on those angles, making it all planar. The material is quite flexible and should be easy to model.
alright cool. thanks
Post automatically merged:

Do you know how much of the switch needs to be assebled for it to turn on? I suspect it wont turn on without the heatsink screwed in but do i need to for example screw in the back metal plate on?

Last edited by vagenam,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Now awaiting for the wedding of Steve and BakerMan.