Hacking Hardware Picofly - a HWFLY switch modchip

Flasheure

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Someone who would be so kind as to tell me what mosfet I need, Numbering or model to work the peak without processor cables, that is the only thing that is not clear to me since I already saw what the resistors are and the installation and connection points also already I have them, I only need the connection of the processor to the peak
Mosfet IRFHS8342TRPBF

Attachments

• Mosfet IRFHS8342TRPBF.png
    Mosfet IRFHS8342TRPBF.png
    418.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Love
Reactions: Chonay

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I created a 12 gb emmc partition on a 128 gb micro sd, and when I try to install some files on it, I get that sign, does anyone know what I should do?

View attachment 364343

You should be copying files into that 12GB partition, obviously based on the picture what ever you try to copy is larger than the space in that partition.

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
please, download link firmware for oled?
top of this thread under important post fw 2.64
Post automatically merged:

You should be copying files into that 12GB partition, obviously based on the picture what ever you try to copy is larger than the space in that partition.
only the files he wants on his emmc, atmosphere belongs on the othe fat32 partition

Raugo

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Anyone with the cpu flex can tell me what value get the multimeter in continuity mode in the solder points? To check if I have solder mine well. I get 0001 and 0015 in the two points of the two mosfets

Phantomas77

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Anyone with the cpu flex can tell me what value get the multimeter in continuity mode in the solder points? To check if I have solder mine well. I get 0001 and 0015 in the two points of the two mosfets
You should be good, one pin is GND and the other around 15-20 Ohm (check it on lowest resistance scale).

Frullone

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oook, I had everything tested but for some reason I decided to reflow everything and OF COURSE I bridges three small caps (those where you pick ground from).

But honestly, they just look like they're on the same trace and I would really love if I could avoid unbridging those little guys and leave everything as is.
Can anyone confirm me this and/or link some proper diagrams?

I'll attach pictures of my mobo and another one I found online with better resolution, for better trace checking
(They're both taken looking from the top of the Switch towards the bottom)
Since no one was able to reply, I did my own tests and I can now tell you all those three points are ground and I was able to boot safely.
So this is just a reminder that you don't need to panic if you accidentally bridge two or all three of those capacitors to get a gnd connection for the chip

Reactions: SkylerTakashi

KarimPolska

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
How did you guys fit The picofly in the lite? I bent the metal shield a little so it barely fits on the right side of the CPU, but I'm worried the pressure might break off the resistors on the RP2040, is it safe or do I need to dremel a hole in the shield?
This is how I did it. Make sure you cover it with tape, including it's side edges where the pins are, especially on the left side where the speaker is as the metalic shield may touch the pins on the right side as it slides between the Picofly and the speaker.

Alright. I'm about to start on the motherboard. I added pics of what i'm working with for reference.
Few questions:

1) Are the mosfets in my image correct? They say "irh83422tnk". I ordered them because of the "irh8342". I am not familiar with mosfets.
2) If mosfets are correct, should I double them up and follow the "Mariko Dual Mosfet Install Diagram"?
3) My resistors should be good. 47 ohm.
4) Should I be soldering directly to the DAT0, CLK, RST, CMD points on the hac-emmc board OR the ones off the main board? ie: "V1 Patched/V2 Points" diagram

any help is appreciated. i have all the tools and can microsolder pretty well but I am new to the switch.
tia
be sure to check my post here:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-lite-picofly-blackscreen.630751/#post-10125262

Attachments

• PHOTO-2023-04-10-18-09-50.jpg
    PHOTO-2023-04-10-18-09-50.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 62
Last edited by KarimPolska,

detilmalala

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Today I made my first erista with pico and cpu flex, I have a 8342 mosfet but it was impossible for me to use it, is there a tutorial using a mosfet or another larger mosfet that is more friendly for soldering?

Ícono de validado por la comunidad

great, but to weld such a tiny component we need more than photos of a completed installation, if there was a detailed video, for those of us who do not have our technique so refined, it would help us a lot

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Today I made my first erista with pico and cpu flex, I have a 8342 mosfet but it was impossible for me to use it, is there a tutorial using a mosfet or another larger mosfet that is more friendly for soldering?

View attachment 364374

great, but to weld such a tiny component we need more than photos of a completed installation, if there was a detailed video, for those of us who do not have our technique so refined, it would help us a lot

View attachment 364389

if u do not have ur "technique" not so refined then microsoldering is nothing for u , then just use flex cables
marikodual-mosfet-jpg.363515

3CP-andres-N

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
good afternoon colleagues, I installed the rp2040 with 2.64 and when I try to enter the original nand after the first logo it stays black and when Ise backup of the nand it gave me this error, put the 470 resistors

Attachments

• IMG-20230411-WA0032.jpeg
    IMG-20230411-WA0032.jpeg
    667.6 KB · Views: 65

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
good afternoon colleagues, I installed the rp2040 with 2.64 and when I try to enter the original nand after the first logo it stays black and when Ise backup of the nand it gave me this error, put the 470 resistors
If you used 470, instead of 47 ohms, you need to change those out.

Last edited by lightninjay,

rehius

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
eMMC lines interference. try shorter / thicker wires, as I read, more resistance on CMD / D0 lines also helps (47+47 Ohm)

by the way, I have finally updated all of my test units to the 2.64 (from 2.5 so it took a while), and even the really badly soldered ones work perfectly.

tested eMMCs: 2xToshiba/Kioxia, 3xSamsung, 1xSK Hynix, 1xSanDisk
tested NSs: Patched Erista, Unpatched Erista, Mariko, Lite, OLED

(yep, this whole story is pretty expensive for me)

Last edited by rehius,

detilmalala

Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
if u do not have ur "technique" not so refined then microsoldering is nothing for u , then just use flex cables
marikodual-mosfet-jpg.363515
That would be the simplest, but I want to keep practicing and learning, and it would help me a lot to see someone do it as a reference, if anyone has a link where they solder components as small as the 8342 it would be of great help.

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finished my PDF guide and sent a PM to @linuxares so it will likely end up in some central location like the AIO thread, but until such a time, here's a public download link to the 21MB PDF file.

Any suggestions to improve it, just let me know, but this seems like a pretty good overview guide to me.

EDIT: replaced link with the updated location hosted here on gbatemp

https://gbatemp.net/download/a-definitive-picofly-install-guide.37968/

Last edited by lightninjay,

Dee87

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
eMMC lines interference. try shorter / thicker wires, as I read, more resistance on CMD / D0 lines also helps (47+47 Ohm)

by the way, I have finally updated all of my test units to the 2.64 (from 2.5 so it took a while), and even the really badly soldered ones work perfectly.

tested eMMCs: 2xToshiba/Kioxia, 3xSamsung, 1xSK Hynix, 1xSanDisk
tested NSs: Patched Erista, Unpatched Erista, Mariko, Lite, OLED

(yep, this whole story is pretty expensive for me)
i updated all mine also to 2.64 V2(samsung)/Oled(skynix) no issue

That would be the simplest, but I want to keep practicing and learning, and it would help me a lot to see someone do it as a reference, if anyone has a link where they solder components as small as the 8342 it would be of great help.

View attachment 364395
youtube smd soldering

lightninjay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

View attachment 364395
This guy has a pretty clever technique for adapting a blunt soldering iron to doing micro-soldering

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!