Hacking Nintendont

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Why haven't they made it compatible with NTFS? Has to be FAT 32 with 32k clusters, but it's problematic with flash drives. External drives need boosting to work well. That doesn't give plenty of freedom to maneuver. Wii games work well with NTFS, now I'll see about formatting a perfectly good 1TB drive to FAT32 just to use it with Nintendont.
shot awnser -nintendont already has size limitation for the code to run in a timely maner in the main thread and fit everything, ntfs library is much bigger and wouldnt fit both fat32 and ntsf library in the loop off nintendont without serious problems happening. This is what fix94 said long time ago.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why haven't they made it compatible with NTFS? Has to be FAT 32 with 32k clusters, but it's problematic with flash drives. External drives need boosting to work well. That doesn't give plenty of freedom to maneuver. Wii games work well with NTFS, now I'll see about formatting a perfectly good 1TB drive to FAT32 just to use it with Nintendont.
NTFS is a closed source file system owned by Microsoft where as FAT32 is open for anyone to use and all operating systems can use it where as some systems cannot see or write to NTFS volumes without 3rd party apps. Wii ISOs can be split to get around the 4GB file size limit.

rabbitsong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I can't directly reply or quote because the comment has a link...

Yes I can adapt, it's just that the options are less than ideal.

It's problematic to use flash drives, especially larger ones.
It's problematic to use HDDs if they don't have some sort of power boost.
It's more problematic for me because I have to write saves to virtual memory, because I'm on Wii U.
It's even more problematic to do that through a loader which I already have my Wii games set up to.

I do have a good external HD with a power source formatted to NTFS where I have my Wii games. If I format it to FAT32 I'm going to have to remove some large files that I have in there because FAT32 doesn't do files larger than 4gb (geez!).

I could buy another one, but everything I see on amazon under 500 gb are weird brands that only use one usb cable, so who knows if that'll give me problems. I don't want to get a TB or larger drive where I'm only going to have less than 300gb in games and I can't use it for other stuff because it's formatted to FAT32. Would you recommend me one?

That's why I believe it would be great if Nintendont used NTFS.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry I can't directly reply or quote because the comment has a link...

Yes I can adapt, it's just that the options are less than ideal.

It's problematic to use flash drives, especially larger ones.
It's problematic to use HDDs if they don't have some sort of power boost.
It's more problematic for me because I have to write saves to virtual memory, because I'm on Wii U.
It's even more problematic to do that through a loader which I already have my Wii games set up to.

I do have a good external HD with a power source formatted to NTFS where I have my Wii games. If I format it to FAT32 I'm going to have to remove some large files that I have in there because FAT32 doesn't do files larger than 4gb (geez!).

I could buy another one, but everything I see on amazon under 500 gb are weird brands that only use one usb cable, so who knows if that'll give me problems. I don't want to get a TB or larger drive where I'm only going to have less than 300gb in games and I can't use it for other stuff because it's formatted to FAT32. Would you recommend me one?

That's why I believe it would be great if Nintendont used NTFS.
The Western digital Passport is only $50 for a 1TB:
Amazon.com: WD 5TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive HDD, USB 3.0, USB 2.0 Compatible, Black - WDBPKJ0050BBK-WESN : Electronics

And you can get a Y-cable for $10 (or less if you look around):
Amazon.com: Cable Matters Micro USB 3.0 to USB Splitter Cable (USB Y-Cable, USB Y Cable) 20 Inches : Electronics

99% of the time you don't even need the Y-Cable. I've never needed to use them and I've set up over 50 systems. With that said though I do have 3 Y-Cables handy in the off chance one is ever needed.

Reactions: jeannotte

rabbitsong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NTFS is a closed source file system owned by Microsoft where as FAT32 is open for anyone to use and all operating systems can use it where as some systems cannot see or write to NTFS volumes without 3rd party apps. Wii ISOs can be split to get around the 4GB file size limit.
What exactly is the limit in FAT 32? I have some of the Wii games like Xenoblade split into two wbfs where one is like 4.19. I hope that passes.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What exactly is the limit in FAT 32? I have some of the Wii games like Xenoblade split into two wbfs where one is like 4.19. I hope that passes.
Sounds about right if they are .wbfs files. The first file of multi file sets will be large like that and the second file will have the remaining part in it.

Depends on what you mean by limit. A single FAT32 file has the 4GB limit, but Wii Backup Manager can split those like you seem to already have. If you mean what size drive, 2TB is the standard FAT32 limit, but you can take a look at the link in my signature and have very large hard drives if you put a little work into it. The max size drive I took it up to was 10TB, but in the end a drive that large was not needed. I have all Wii & GameCube on the same FAT32 5TB hard drive as one partition, so that's what I recommend to most, a 5TB drive is the sweet spot to have everything in one place.

Last edited by ca032769,

rabbitsong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Western digital Passport is only $50 for a 1TB:
Amazon.com: WD 5TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive HDD, USB 3.0, USB 2.0 Compatible, Black - WDBPKJ0050BBK-WESN : Electronics

And you can get a Y-cable for $10 (or less if you look around):
Amazon.com: Cable Matters Micro USB 3.0 to USB Splitter Cable (USB Y-Cable, USB Y Cable) 20 Inches : Electronics

99% of the time you don't even need the Y-Cable. I've never needed to use them and I've set up over 50 systems. With that said though I do have 3 Y-Cables handy in the off chance one is ever needed.
Thank you, I have a 1TB WD Elements. The large files in there were not important so I'm going to format that to FAT32, and if I ever need something for larger files, I'll cross that bridge when the time comes and purchase a new one.

I already re-formatted it to NTFS using CMD, like the other comment told me. I'm assuming it has to be a slow format to FAT32, or will the quick one suffice?

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you, I have a 1TB WD Elements. The large files in there were not important so I'm going to format that to FAT32, and if I ever need something for larger files, I'll cross that bridge when the time comes and purchase a new one.

I already re-formatted it to NTFS using CMD, like the other comment told me. I'm assuming it has to be a slow format to FAT32, or will the quick one suffice?
Quick format is perfectly fine. Slow format is typically using used to test the HDD for bad sectors and record them also known as a Burn-In test.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Quick format works fine.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

A quick note - Make sure the drive is MBR and not GPT.

It needs to be an MBR partition to work properly. There are tool recommendations in my link below if you need to convert the drive to MBR.

ca032769

INFOCOM Collector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I remember correctly, Nintendont was updated a while back to read GPT partition scheme.
Maybe, but I also think only one of the loaders can read GPT, everything else is MBR dependent.

I think it might be if you only use USB Loader GX and Nintendont you can get away with GPT. But yes I do remember there being a discussion about this a little while back.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any gamecube controller adapters, besides de official one, that support rumble? I was thinking of getting the Mayflash.
I bought this one here from Amazon when it was on sale for $11 a couple of years back and it supports rumble. I primarily use it to play GC/Wii games on the Dolphin emulator or WiiU games on Cemu. No drivers needed, just plug-and-play.

rabbitsong

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought this one here from Amazon when it was on sale for $11 a couple of years back and it supports rumble. I primarily use it to play GC/Wii games on the Dolphin emulator or WiiU games on Cemu. No drivers needed, just plug-and-play.
But does it get detected by Nintendont and the rumble works with Nintendont?

I just bought a very similar one that worked fine on dolphin (though the deadzone was a little off), but not with Nintendont, and it even crashed the console in HID-Test. Just thought I make sure before buying another one.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I just bought a very similar one that worked fine on dolphin (though the deadzone was a little off), but not with Nintendont, and it even crashed the console in HID-Test. Just thought I make sure before buying another one.
I would have to test it out on my Wii some time later today when I get around to it since the method of application was not mentioned in your previous comment. Not sure what your purpose would be for using a Gamecube adapter on a Wii which already comes w/ 4x controller ports on it...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I would have to test it out on my Wii some time later today when I get around to it since the method of application was not mentioned in your previous comment. Not sure what your purpose would be for using a Gamecube adapter on a Wii which already comes w/ 4x controller ports on it...
not all wii models have gc ports... and the wiiu doesnt either lol.

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Good news... The adapter comes with a switch that allows you to toggle between PC and Wii U/Switch functionality if that means anything...
JHf2ErA.jpg

Oh, and I tried connecting it to my Wii to verify compatibility out of curiosity, and low and behold, it doesn't work nor was it recognized for that matter, lol. I also own an official Wii U GameCube adapter which I won from an eBay auction over a month ago (which was bundled w/ an official Smash Bros GameCube controller) that I was able to get to work on PC as well (using unsigned drivers).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Do you dangle a baggie in front of them, like a carrot?
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    they're the same thing
    +1
    i like that idea
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the same thing?
    +1
    before or after a hit
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also