Hacking Nintendont

TimpZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Some background from a few pages ago; I couldn't force PAL60 on an NTSC SSBM ISO.

Some games dont work with forced videomodes and there is nothing that can be done about that.

After some inquiry I found out that you can hex-edit the dol.hdr file in the ISO to say GALP instead of GALE. This makes the console read the ISO as a PAL one and everything works wonderfully on Nintendont even with RGB-cables. Would that be a viable method to incorporate into nintendont so you don't have to hack the games yourself?

CaseyCor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got an interesting issue here. Been using Nintendont on my Wii U every day for the past week now. About an hour ago I decided to try using a PS4 controller so the wife and I can play multiplayer games (I usually use a classic controller pro). Plugged it into the front of the Wii U, booted up Tony Hawk's Underground for testing and it worked great. Played for about 40 minutes, then quit and switched to Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour. Quit that game after about 15 minutes of testing, and now I can't get back into Nintendont. Launching Nintendont gives me a "failed to load kernel from NAND" error.

Nintendont has also lost its description text in the Homebrew Browser, and has moved itself to the end of my list of applications. I've already tried replacing the boot.dol on my HD with one from the OP here as well as from nintendont.net. Didn't solve the problem. I do not have the PS4 controller plugged in anymore, but it still won't boot. The rest of my homebrew applications are running just fine. Nintendont was working great literally just 5 minutes ago, and now it's useless :( I guess I will wipe all of my Nintendont related files on my HD and start fresh, see what happens.

Any other ideas? I see some other people have claimed this issue has something to do with the version of IOS58 I'm running, or which IOS I run the Homebrew Channel from. But as I said, Nintendont has been running flawlessly for the past week.

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got an interesting issue here. Been using Nintendont on my Wii U every day for the past week now. About an hour ago I decided to try using a PS4 controller so the wife and I can play multiplayer games (I usually use a classic controller pro). Plugged it into the front of the Wii U, booted up Tony Hawk's Underground for testing and it worked great. Played for about 40 minutes, then quit and switched to Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour. Quit that game after about 15 minutes of testing, and now I can't get back into Nintendont. Launching Nintendont gives me a "failed to load kernel from NAND" error.

Nintendont has also lost its description text in the Homebrew Browser, and has moved itself to the end of my list of applications. I've already tried replacing the boot.dol on my HD with one from the OP here as well as from nintendont.net. Didn't solve the problem. I do not have the PS4 controller plugged in anymore, but it still won't boot. The rest of my homebrew applications are running just fine. Nintendont was working great literally just 5 minutes ago, and now it's useless :( I guess I will wipe all of my Nintendont related files on my HD and start fresh, see what happens.

Any other ideas? I see some other people have claimed this issue has something to do with the version of IOS58 I'm running, or which IOS I run the Homebrew Channel from. But as I said, Nintendont has been running flawlessly for the past week.
Sounds like the meta.xml file is either corrupted or deleted.

Download this:
meta.xml

Put it into the Nintendont folder inside the apps folder.

Reactions: CaseyCor

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Some background from a few pages ago; I couldn't force PAL60 on an NTSC SSBM ISO.

After some inquiry I found out that you can hex-edit the dol.hdr file in the ISO to say GALP instead of GALE. This makes the console read the ISO as a PAL one and everything works wonderfully on Nintendont even with RGB-cables. Would that be a viable method to incorporate into nintendont so you don't have to hack the games yourself?
what would be the point? if you change the gameid then the save file wont be detected anf im guessing all you wanted in the first place was to use a ntsc save file?Because if not why not just use pal SSBM?

TimpZ

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
what would be the point? if you change the gameid then the save file wont be detected anf im guessing all you wanted in the first place was to use a ntsc save file?Because if not why not just use pal SSBM?

Because of this: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...re-alt-stages-costumes-new-debug-menu.351221/

I have no clue how this affects the save files but I don't really mind those myself for Melee at least. Perhaps there's a workaround if it breaks them but if not then sure I can see it being pointless.

CaseyCor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird, I tried to replace that already and it didn't work, but trying a second time did the trick. I wonder why that happened? Something to do with having the PS4 controller hooked up I would think. I did have the PS4 controller plugged in while outside of Nintendont, so maybe that's what caused it. I'll make sure to only plug the PS4 controller in after I've launched Nintendont from now on. Pretty annoying, but eh. It's better than not having a GC Loader.

Thanks for the help.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Because of this: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...re-alt-stages-costumes-new-debug-menu.351221/

I have no clue how this affects the save files but I don't really mind those myself for Melee at least. Perhaps there's a workaround if it breaks them but if not then sure I can see it being pointless.
changing the gameid changes the save nintendont fetches for them, so if you change your gameid you will need to also hex edit the save file to match the new gameid of the iso if that even works.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
I finished testing the loaders for cheat codes and the results are very interesting...

First I'd like to say I didn't have r3.345 so I didn't get to test that one, from my testing it seems r3.344 is the last version that had cheat codes working, r3.346 is the one that broke cheat codes, interesting enough though, this is also the revision that added bios support with real MCs "I didn't know they added that" but during my testing I got a corrupted save file once on my real MC and I had to re-install my old save with GCMM, so I recommend those on real Wii who use real MCs with Nintendont to use with caution and always make sure to have a back up with GCMM before you update Nintendont.

@Etheboss Thank you for providing the revs for me, I wonder if r3.345 exists or not, it could be the one that broke cheat codes, idk.

Reactions: cvskid

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I finished testing the loaders for cheat codes and the results are very interesting...

First I'd like to say I didn't have r3.345 so I didn't get to test that one, from my testing it seems r3.344 is the last version that had cheat codes working, r3.346 is the one that broke cheat codes, interesting enough though, this is also the revision that added bios support with real MCs "I didn't know they added that" but during my testing I got a corrupted save file once on my real MC and I had to re-install my old save with GCMM, so I recommend those on real Wii who use real MCs with Nintendont to use with caution and always make sure to have a back up with GCMM before you update Nintendont.

@Etheboss Thank you for providing the revs for me, I wonder if r3.345 exists or not, it could be the one that broke cheat codes, idk.
Nvm, i see what you mean, thank you for the research.

Last edited by cvskid, , Reason: Found out

CaseyCor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I confirmed that using the PS4 controller to quit out of a GC game in Nintendont is corrupting my meta.xml file. I wonder what is actually causing this? I'm not sure if playing with the PS4 controller, but using a different controller to exit from the game will solve the problem or not. I really hope it does. This is really annoying!

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so I confirmed that using the PS4 controller to quit out of a GC game in Nintendont is corrupting my meta.xml file. I wonder what is actually causing this? I'm not sure if playing with the PS4 controller, but using a different controller to exit from the game will solve the problem or not. I really hope it does. This is really annoying!
@FIX94: can you look at this weird issue?

Reactions: Troopage

CaseyCor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so quitting a game with the PS4 controller by pressing the home button (share button) corrupts my meta.xml file. Exiting the game with the Classic Controller Pro seems to be fine though. So now I am playing games with the PS4 controller, and turning on my Wiimote + CCP when I want to change games. Seems like the best way to do things for now.

Could it be an issue with the controller.ini? I didn't make it myself, it was in the pack that is downloadable from within Nintendont.

I will follow up if I find anything else.

Thanks for the help.

Reactions: Troopage

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so quitting a game with the PS4 controller by pressing the home button (share button) corrupts my meta.xml file. Exiting the game with the Classic Controller Pro seems to be fine though. So now I am playing games with the PS4 controller, and turning on my Wiimote + CCP when I want to change games. Seems like the best way to do things for now.

Could it be an issue with the controller.ini? I didn't make it myself, it was in the pack that is downloadable from within Nintendont.

I will follow up if I find anything else.

Thanks for the help.
You don't need a controller.ini anymore when using the latest version as it has a built-in controller.ini for commonly used controllers.

CaseyCor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welp, now I've got a new issue. Now, after exiting a Nintendont game via the home button on my CCP, I can't launch any homebrew apps. Quitting sends me back to the Homebrew Channel, so I select Nintendont again and hit launch. The Wii U freezes up for a second, and then puts me right back to the Homebrew Channel. Exiting to the system menu and relaunching the Homebrew Channel solves the problem.

I have no clue what is going on. I've been using the Homebrew Channel since the day I got my Wii U without a single issue, as well as using it on an original Wii almost from day one. Never ran into issues like these before.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
it seems to me you are getting a corrupt hdd, my sugestion is backup your hdd on the pc and do a slow format on it and then put everything back on it, its almost impossible that ps4 exit combo would mess with files themselves just try a good format and put everything back in.

CaseyCor

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't had the Homebrew freezing problem since my last post. I played Rogue Squadron 2 for about an hour, now the wife is playing Luigi's Mansion. Quitting out of the game with the CCP and NOT the PS4 definitely avoids the issue.

I just formatted and set this drive up last Saturday. I guess I will format it and set it up again if I continue to have issues.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Haven't had the Homebrew freezing problem since my last post. I played Rogue Squadron 2 for about an hour, now the wife is playing Luigi's Mansion. Quitting out of the game with the CCP and NOT the PS4 definitely avoids the issue.

I just formatted and set this drive up last Saturday. I guess I will format it and set it up again if I continue to have issues.
you dont happen to have log and osreport ON do you?, since those on some games can mess up files if your not using a usb gecko.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I would like to update on the latest version. Is there still an issue with Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance? I read this some time ago.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I just Luv having CEX :)