Gaming Nintendo Confirms Wii U Has Flopped, Slashes Sales Forecast By ~70%

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I could definitely argue it has that, and did for the Holiday season and how would you explain the success of the PS4? It sure as hell aint the games moving that console at this point. ( I personally see plenty of buyers remorse among PS4 owners because of no games to the point where they turnaround and try to sell the thing)

[conspiracy theory]thats another story.. M$ and $ony came together and said how can we bring down Nintendo, and someone out of those two(M$ & $ony) said why dont we release around the same time and make it look like a pay per-view fight and the winner will be both of us. [/conspiracy theory]

or naming it Wii-U where people think its the Wii with a little extras and nothing more.

Reactions: filfat

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
or naming it Wii-U where people think its the Wii with a little extras and nothing more.
I really don't like it when people put the blame solely on the name. By the same logic, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System should've been a massive flop but wasn't, the Game Boy Colour, Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP should've been flops, the DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, 3DS XL and 2DS should've been flops. The name is part of the problem, but it's not the problem. We shouldn't assume that customers are retarded - we are the customers.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Disagree all you want, but you have to keep in mind that users are not buying consoles for the next two months - they're buying consoles for the whole generation. All things considered, the Wii U's hardware will become obsolete within 2 years time - this much is a fact. The moment PS3/360/PS4/XBOne multiplatform titles stop being a thing, it won't be able to pull off the same things its stronger counterparts will - we've seen that happening on the Wii... except the Wii had the casual audience in its pocket - the Wii U does not.

Well I do believe it is very common these days for a household to have more than one gaming console and I do not disagree that in the future the multiplatform games will move on from PS3/360. I just don't think anyone considers a Nintendo console for multi-platform game purposes so I don't think that the Wii U's inability to run multi-platform games at an acceptable level 2 years down the road is factoring in to peoples buying decision right now.

I do think this factors in to the anti-Nintendo rhetoric fanboys of the other consoles like to use when they trash Nintendo as kiddie console and such, but those people wouldn't be buying anyway.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo needs to work on their player base, that aint going to happen with the current console, and will keep getting worse if they don't do something about it.

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I really don't like it when people put the blame solely on the name. By the same logic, the Super Nintendo Entertainment System should've been a massive flop but wasn't, the Game Boy Colour, Game Boy Advance and Game Boy Advance SP should've been flops, the DS Lite, DSi and DSi XL should've been flops. The name is part of the problem, but it's not the problem. We shouldn't assume that customers are retarded - we are the customers.

one of the big areas where Wii did well was the milf section who brought Wii fit and wii sports. milfs dont follow every day gaming news.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
one of the big areas where Wii did well was the milf section who brought Wii fit and wii sports. milfs dont follow every day gaming news.
Fair play, Wii Fit sold 22+ million units so you have a point there. That being said, that's what store clerks and TV ads are for. ;)

Nintendo needs to work on their player base, that aint going to happen with the current console, and will keep getting worse if they don't do something about it.
Vomiting out new system at a yearly basis is not the answer to the problem though. If anything, they could release a system revision with a built-in HDD and some more enticing tid-bits to push more units to the more conservative gaming crowds, but that's about it, really.

Reactions: filfat and Flame

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's a myth continuously maintained by the blind Ninty fanboys. Sony has LittleBigPlanet, inFamous, God of War, KillZone, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Uncharted and many other titles, Microsoft has Halo, Fable, Forza, Gears of War and more. Nintendo's not the only company with exclusives, guys.

It's not a lie or a myth, its just a difference of opinion. Yeah they all have their exclusives but you can also lump Halo and Gears in to FPS, and Forza vs Gran Turismo whatever.

I do think Sony comes in second as far as compelling exclusives, but heck I was a Sony fanboy for PS1 and early PS2 days and all those great exclusves don't mean much to me. I only started God of War recently and I have not heard good things about the PS3 ones. I played some Jak, and maybe some Sly back in the day and am trying to check out some of these others.

But seriously dude, none of that stuff holds a candle to Nintendo Exclusives.

So your point has validity, but as far as what people like me are getting at when they make the point about exclusives your point doesn't change that.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
But seriously dude, none of that stuff holds a candle to Nintendo Exclusives.
Your point of view highly depends on your personal preference. I sincerely doubt that you'd convince your average Halo player who's been with the series since XBox times to suddenly switch to KillZone or to Metroid Prime - that's just not going to happen. Franchises like this have more than just quality speaking for them - players are drawn to them with the power of nostalgia, they're parts of pop culture at this point.

Reactions: Cortador

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If they dropped the price of the Wii.2 (Wii-U) to under $250 and made a NEW Zelda game for it, I'm sure a lot of gamers will buy it then. This will bring it out of the brink of ruin.

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is doomed, how will they survive?

They will get crushed by the Genesis in this new, 16 bit era.
They will lose all 3rd party support due to limitations of storage space in cartridges compared to PS1 discs.
The Gamecube will be the system to finally force Nintendo to follow in Sega's footsteps.
The Wii can't compete with it's lower hardware specs, and doesn't support HD.
The PSP far outpowers the DS, and consumers won't understand the two screens.
The 3DS has no games, and sales are horrible.

Aaaaand some links I found in a quick Google search:

'Nintendo's Doomed, They Should Go Third-Party!'—Said Everyone, Ever.
http://kotaku.com/5986942/nintendos-doomed-they-should-go-third partysaid-everyone-ever

Video: Experts Believed Nintendo Was In Trouble Back In 1990, Too
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...eved_nintendo_was_in_trouble_back_in_1990_too

Is Nintendo doomed? Not likely. Just take a look at how much money it's got in the bank
http://www.gamesradar.com/nintendo-doomed-not-likely-just-take-look-how-much-money-its-got-bank/

See "Nintendo is Doomed" subsection
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/subcultures/nintendo

D

Dork

This is really a shame. It sucks because I think the Wii U is a really nice console. As long as Nintendo keeps supplying me with excellent first-party titles, I'm good. Hopefully 2014 can turn things around with all those big titles coming out.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly you two.

Nintendos exclusives power of nostalgia and pop-culture is on an entirely different level.

Of course it is an opinion, sure there are Halo fans and what not but Nintendo has been surviving mainly on the power of their exclusive for three console generations.

Good luck to the other Guys if they lacked the multi-platform and were trying to sell consoles based on Gran Tursimo or Gears of War exclusivity.

Reactions: filfat

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly you two.

Nintendos exclusives power of nostalgia and pop-culture is on an entirely different level.

Of course it is an opinion, sure there are Halo fans and what not but Nintendo has been surviving mainly on the power of their exclusive for three console generations.

Good luck to the other Guys if they lacked the multi-platform and were trying to sell consoles based on Gran Tursimo or Gears of War exclusivity.

I don't think "subsisting off the coattails of your glory days" is something to be proud of.

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 - I only read the first page or two, didn't mean to sound insecure. I just think it's funny that people have been saying that Nintendo is doomed for years and years, all the way back to the NES.

They'll do just fine. They might have a flop product occasionally, like the virtual boy or N64DD, but the Wii U isn't anywhere near that point. Just a few years ago everyone said they couldn't turn the 3DS around, and it's doing wonderfully now.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think "subsisting off the coattails of your glory days" is something to be proud of.
And who said it was?

Nintendo exclusives by most accounts have been very high quality though if you want to classify that as subsisting off coat tails be my guest.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Yeah...it's not really unexpected that the wiiu didn't sell that well this Christmas.

I'm wondering what nintendo is going to DO with these numbers, though. This article (from the OP) makes some very clear observations that can't be ignored. and a quote like...

“We are thinking about a new business structure,” Iwata said at a press conference today in Osaka, Japan. “Given the expansion of smart devices, we are naturally studying how smart devices can be used to grow the game-player business. It’s not as simple as enabling Mario to move on a smartphone.” (Saturo Iwata)

...isn't to be taken lightly. They really need to reconsider what got them in this position, and what they can realistically do to improve things. :unsure:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, I mean cockball.