The Nintendo Switch surpasses the Wii's sales records in France

Nintendo-Switch-OLED-Specs.jpg

Philippe Lavoué, Nintendo of France president, has unveiled new data regarding the performance of Nintendo's current console, the Nintendo Switch, on french territory.

Previously, the console which held the record for 10 years for the most sales in France was the Nintendo Wii, with an amount of 6.3 million units sold, followed closely behind the PlayStation 4 with 6 million units. However, due to the great sales figured of the Switch during 2022, which registered somewhere near a million units sold during the year, has brought up the Nintendo Switch to an number of almost 7.1 million units sold, breaking the previous record held by the Nintendo Wii.

Not only that, but a handful of Nintendo titles also broke sale records during 2022 in french territory as well, particularly Pokemon titles, which seemed to have a unique historical year in France in terms of sales, with games Pokemon Legends: Arceus dethroning the football simulator FIFA for the PlayStation 4 for the 1st place, and Pokemon Scarlet & Violet adding up to a total amount of three Pokemon titles found in the Top 10 games sold in France, alongside many other Nintendo first party titles like Animal Crossing and Mario Kart 8.

Sales of Nintendo games in France in 2022 (digital sales excluded)
  • Pokémon Purple and Scarlet: 701,000 units
  • Pokémon Arceus: 575,000 units
  • Mario Kart 8: 445,000 expected
  • Nintendo Switch Sports : 425.000 units
  • Mario Strikers: 264,000 units
  • Splatoon 3: 254,000 units
  • Animal Crossing New Horizons : 253.000 units
  • Kirby and the Forgotten World: 214,000 units

:arrow: Source

Ettino

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fair play to them. I personally have 2, V1 & V2. V1 is modded to all hell and it's great. V2 is pure vanilla.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
To be honest, for a fair comparison, Wii and DS shwould be viewed as one, since Switch is both.

(Wii + DS) vs. (SWITCH)
so you would consider the "wii u and 3ds" "GBA and N64" and "Gameboy and NES" combinations each as one console too?
Because that would be the logic behind your statement

Reactions: Metoroid0

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
so you would consider the "wii u and 3ds" "GBA and N64" and "Gameboy and NES" combinations each as one console too?
Because that would be the logic behind your statement
I was referring to Wii + DS only since that's what this article is about.

But...
- WiiU + 3DS
I don't know about WiiU though, that's kinda a handheld and home console, but can't really be carried around (to far)
but yeah, i guess you can say WiiU + 3DS, sure, why not.

- N64 + GBA?
I'd say GameCube + GBA. Yeah sure, why not.

- NES + GB/C
Sure, why not that also.

I mean you got it right!
Home + Portable = Home/Portable, just like switch is, Home AND portable hybrid.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was referring to Wii + DS only since that's what this article is about.

But...
- WiiU + 3DS
I don't know about WiiU though, that's kinda a handheld and home console, but can't really be carried around (to far)
but yeah, i guess you can say WiiU + 3DS, sure, why not.

- N64 + GBA?
I'd say GameCube + GBA. Yeah sure, why not.

- NES + GB/C
Sure, why not that also.

I mean you got it right!
Home + Portable = Home/Portable, just like switch is, Home AND portable hybrid.
I... hope you are trolling... are you...?

You know it doesnt work like that? like at all?
Wii and DS use both different technologies. Nintendo didn't just made one console and divided it into two plateform. They had different teams working on different products. That means they had to double the investment. They had to invest for the creation of the DS and for the creation of the Wii, As for the Switch, Nintendo didn't invest on a team for the handheld part and on a team for the home part, they invested in a sole team for the hybrid part.

However, if the rumor about the NX before Switch revelation were true, about the Fusion Project, I would have agreed with you then.
Reminder : The Fusion Project as it was rumored, was a handheld console, the Fusion DS, and a home console, the Fusion Terminal, which would be sold separatly but would have the same game on both of them. IIRC, the rumor stated that graphics were not the same on both consoles, Fusion DS having its graphics quality and resolution reduced (like Medium quality on PC), while Fusion Terminal would have best quality as possible (equivalent of Ultra on PC)

If there was such consoles as the Fusion Project, then yes. I would agree with you that you could consider them as a unique console, since they would have the same exact OS, architecture, etc.. Just different power and a small tweak in the code saying to the game to either display higher or lower quality/resolution

As for what you say about Wiiu/3ds and others, I just can't agree because, as I said, Nintendo had different team working on these consoles, so they had to double the investment, meaning they would need to sell double amount of console to get back their investment...

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I... hope you are trolling... are you...?

You know it doesnt work like that? like at all?
Wii and DS use both different technologies. Nintendo didn't just made one console and divided it into two plateform. They had different teams working on different products. That means they had to double the investment. They had to invest for the creation of the DS and for the creation of the Wii, As for the Switch, Nintendo didn't invest on a team for the handheld part and on a team for the home part, they invested in a sole team for the hybrid part.

However, if the rumor about the NX before Switch revelation were true, about the Fusion Project, I would have agreed with you then.
Reminder : The Fusion Project as it was rumored, was a handheld console, the Fusion DS, and a home console, the Fusion Terminal, which would be sold separatly but would have the same game on both of them. IIRC, the rumor stated that graphics were not the same on both consoles, Fusion DS having its graphics quality and resolution reduced (like Medium quality on PC), while Fusion Terminal would have best quality as possible (equivalent of Ultra on PC)

If there was such consoles as the Fusion Project, then yes. I would agree with you that you could consider them as a unique console, since they would have the same exact OS, architecture, etc.. Just different power and a small tweak in the code saying to the game to either display higher or lower quality/resolution

As for what you say about Wiiu/3ds and others, I just can't agree because, as I said, Nintendo had different team working on these consoles, so they had to double the investment, meaning they would need to sell double amount of console to get back their investment...
I don't troll. You don't need to agree, it's not obligtory, it's just how i see it. Sorry.
But i respect your perspective.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't troll. You don't need to agree, it's not obligtory, it's just how i see it. Sorry.
But i respect your perspective.
I don't think much will agree with you when you say the Wii and the DS are the same console...

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
I don't think much will agree with you when you say the Wii and the DS are the same console...
That's not what i said at all.

I said that i see Wii + DS combined as one console, not that Wii and DS are the same consoles. (they are obviously not)
I see them AS one because:
(home + portable) = (home AND portable), which is the (Switch) = (home AND portable).

(Wii + DS) = (SWITCH) = fair comparison.

Anyway, as i said, it's not obligatory for others to agree with me, that's not why i wrote that nor do i care, but that's how i personally see it. I hope you can respect that at least.

Last edited by Metoroid0,

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's not what i said at all.

I said that i see Wii + DS combined as one console, not that Wii and DS are the same consoles. (they are obviously not)
I see them AS one because:
(home + portable) = (home AND portable), which is the (Switch) = (home AND portable).

(Wii + DS) = (SWITCH) = fair comparison.

Anyway, as i said, it's not obligatory for others to agree with me, that's not why i wrote that nor do i care, but that's how i personally see it. I hope you can respect that at least.
mmmh, so that means the ps3 is the best selling console?
I mean, according to you, we have to combine its sales with the PSPs, right?

• Haha
Reactions: Sylx3

mrmagicm

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I agree with Metoroid0...It's everyones choice.
There's no opponent for the switch from nintendo on the portable market like there was during the wii market, that mean OF COURSE that the WII IS STILL THE BEST FOR SALES RECORDS (sorry Shadow One , you have been mislead).
Also, that means the PS3 would had much more sales if the PSP hadn't been there.

Last edited by mrmagicm,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-