New Nintendo financial report lays out 2022 schedule, reveals hardware sales down 20%

Nintendo_Switch_Logo.png

Nintendo has released their financial report for the fiscal year 2022, stretching from April 2021 to March 2022, and, as always, it reveals some interesting sales figures and plans for the future. The most immediate numbers are sales figures for the Nintendo Switch family of consoles (the standard edition, Lite, and OLED) which show a 20% decrease from the previous fiscal year (23.06 million units down from 28.83 million). While this technically hits Nintendo's sales expectations, that number has been slowly lowered over the course of the fiscal year. Nintendo initially forecasted to sell 25.5 million hardware units in FY2022, but dropped that number to 24 million in November, then again to 23 million in February. In a document accompanying the financial report, Nintendo projects 21 million hardware unit sales for FY2023, citing the semiconductor shortage as the culprit.

Despite these issues, the Nintendo Switch continues to outsell the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. In the same fiscal year, the PlayStation 5 sold 11.5 million units, bringing total sales to 19.3 million. (Notably, Sony expects PS5 sales to increase to 18 million in the next fiscal year, contrary to Nintendo's expectations.) Exact sales figures haven't been released for the Xbox Series X|S, but NPD analyst Mat Piscatella reports that, while Xbox won the last two quarters in hardware revenue, Nintendo still sold more units in that same period.

Luckily, Nintendo's software sales continue to be strong, up 1.8% from last year. There were several high-performing games this year, including Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, which hit 14.65 million units, and Pokémon Legends: Arceus, which sold 12.64 million units with two fewer months on the market, showing that Game Freak's deviation from the series formula has paid off. (For reference, less traditional Pokémon spin-off, New Pokémon Snap, sold 2.4 million units.)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, during its fourth year of release, sold another 9.94 million units, though these numbers were almost certainly boosted by new DLC tracks. Metroid Dread has also emerged as the best selling game in the series, shipping 2.9 million units since its launch in October, edging out previous series best Metroid Prime at 2.8 million.

Speaking of Metroid, in a section laying out Nintendo's biggest upcoming releases, the long-delayed Metroid Prime 4 is still only given a release date of TBA. Advance Wars 1+2: Reboot Camp, which appears to be finished but was delayed at the start of the Russia-Ukraine war due to "recent world events," is also still listed as TBA. With the sequel to Breath of the Wild delayed to Spring 2023, the following games are expected to carry Nintendo through the end of 2022: Mario Strikers Battle League (June 10), Fire Emblem: Three Hopes (June 24), Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (June 30), Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (July 29), Splatoon 3 (September 9), Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (late 2022), and Bayonetta 3 (2022).

Bayonetta 3 is a notable inclusion on the list, as it has also had a worryingly-long and quiet development, having been announced in December 2017 and since then only getting a brief mention in a February 2019 Nintendo Direct and its first gameplay trailer last September.

:arrow: Source

bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
After 6 years where are the kick ass joycon games? They have failed miserably with joycon. The worst hardware and software piece of lame effort.
Yeah, the joycons were a real missed opportunity. I guess it's either the shift back towards the hardcore market or the desire to make the Switch more portable which killed it. Switch Lite definitely killed a lot of hopes for joycons to be used to their fullest.

So, when is it then?
I can't see the future, man. Valve loves to keep their decisions secret to prevent what they say from backfiring, so I can't say for sure until it happens. I predicted the Switch would fall off and lose to the Steam Deck because of a number of reasons:

• the Switch doesn't offer the same level of control from users, Deck is a homebrew paradise by comparison.
  • Steam has more games and the Deck is more powerful.
  • Steam Deck has made a name for itself on the internet and gotten pretty popular with the PC crowd.
  • Deck has better controllers for traditional games, which are more common and cater to more people right now than the motion controls craze that was a thing two generations ago.
  • It can also emulate Switch games since it's an x86 tablet PC, which will render the Switch completely pointless once Yuzu and Ryujinx are developed enough to have good enough performance and compatibility.

Of course, accessibility is important, which is why I said "if Valve begins marketing the Steam Deck to the broader console market and allows people to buy them without being existing Steam users". Right now it's main audience is existing PC players. That can change in the future, as Deck is more than capable of being an easy upgrade for many console players, it's just a matter of getting them onboard with the purchase. Whether or not Valve ever makes this move is a complete mystery.

Last edited by bonkmaykr,
Reactions: Marc_LFD

MagnesG

GBAtemp Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the joycons were a real missed opportunity. I guess it's either the shift back towards the hardcore market or the desire to make the Switch more portable which killed it. Switch Lite definitely killed a lot of hopes for joycons to be used to their fullest.

I can't see the future, man. Valve loves to keep their decisions secret to prevent what they say from backfiring, so I can't say for sure until it happens. I predicted the Switch would fall off and lose to the Steam Deck because of a number of reasons:

• the Switch doesn't offer the same level of control from users, Deck is a homebrew paradise by comparison.
  • Steam Deck has made a name for itself on the internet and gotten pretty popular with the PC crowd.
  • Deck has better controllers for traditional games, which are more common and cater to more people right now than the motion controls craze that was a thing two generations ago.
  • It can also emulate Switch games since it's an x86 tablet PC, which will render the Switch completely pointless once Yuzu and Ryujinx are developed enough to have good enough performance and compatibility.

Of course, accessibility is important, which is why I said "if Valve begins marketing the Steam Deck to the broader console market and allows people to buy them without being existing Steam users". Right now it's main audience is existing PC players. That can change in the future, as Deck is more than capable of being an easy upgrade for many console players, it's just a matter of getting them onboard with the purchase. Whether or not Valve ever makes this move is a complete mystery.
I see. What did you predict for the Switch when it came out btw, and after one year? Did you expect the Switch to sell 108m in 5 years?

• Haha
Reactions: bonkmaykr

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Gaming laptop has been around for a long time.

Have not seen a lot of people playing out on the street and why is that? For me taking out a switch is already too much effort. The only thing that is easy to take out is the phone. All other portable device don't get that much portable use.

bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Gaming laptop has been around for a long time.

Have not seen a lot of people playing out on the street and why is that? For me taking out a switch is already too much effort. The only thing that is easy to take out is the phone. All other portable device don't get that much portable use.
your opinion. I carry a bag around :)

laptops are harder to use without a stable desk to set up at so comparing it to a switch or a steam deck would be very unfair.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
your opinion. I carry a bag around :)

laptops are harder to use without a stable desk to set up at so comparing it to a switch or a steam deck would be very unfair.
There were occasions where I have them and too lazy to take them out. Laptop, iPad , Switch etc etc

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm afraid of either dropping the switch or theft if I bring it out of the house. I do like the whole dock thing where you can easily switch tvs. I hate being in my room all the time due to those reasons.

Reactions: bonkmaykr

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm afraid of either dropping the switch or theft if I bring it out of the house. I do like the whole dock thing where you can easily switch tvs. I hate being in my room all the time due to those reasons.
Yes, having handheld mode is nice for use at home, that is kind of the real use case for me. Already can do that with wii u but it didn't work that well but was a really cool feature. Had there been no wii u there won't be Switch and also had there been no wii u Switch would not have much game (sadly still not having that many first party development even when the HW had done well)

Reactions: godreborn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.