Sonic Frontiers surpasses 3.5 million sales, shared in a Sonic & Rovio Press Conference

The latest title in the Sonic franchise, Sonic Frontiers, released last year to great success and quite some positive reception, which; when it comes to Sonic titles as of late, was a great surprise. The game's hype hasn't disappeared though, since recently Frontiers got its first DLC as of a couple weeks ago, on March 22nd, 2023, with still some more DLCs announced for later down the road, but with a still pending release date.

SEGA has been also pretty active in the business standpoint, with them purchasing Rovio, the creators of the Angry Birds franchise, for quite a substantial amount of 700+ million dollars. Both SEGA & Rovio held a press conference recently, and during this press conference, SEGA shared sales numbers of their franchises, with Sonic being their top seller, and also disclosed that Sonic Frontiers has surpassed the 3.5 million sales.

With the other couple DLCs still remaining to be released, the Frontiers hype is sure to continue for a bit longer, but as to what SEGA might have in store after Frontiers, it's still unknown.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm glad. Sonic Frontiers is a great game which was wrongfully panned by reviewers who played 5 minutes and only noticed the bad graphics instead of the outstanding gameplay.

Reactions: Cris1997XX

eyeliner

Has an itch needing to be scratched.
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Am I the only one that sees Angry Birds fitting well in Sonic's universe?
Better than Mario and Rabbids, that's for sure.

I hope that they have concrete plans for Sonic and birbs.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
how can such a shit game be selling so well? this is what is wrong with gaming today :glare:
You're obviously judging the game based on screenshots/videos instead of playing it and judging for yourself. Sonic Frontiers is all about gameplay and is a blast to play. I tried it with no expectations and it's become one of my favourite Switch games.

What is wrong with gaming today is Sonic Frontiers getting panned by "journalists" for shallow reasons just because it's not currently the trendiest licence.

Reactions: James_

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I really want to try Sonic Frontiers.
Was going to get it for the Switch but it wasn't that well optimised so I'll probably get it on Steam during a big sale to play on the steam deck (and probably will still end up buying a switch version later on for physical's sake).

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Always happy to see Sega get whatever moderate wins they can, but I hope they don't learn the wrong lessons from this; the game is still very much a work in progress. One could even call it a beta, and the only reason reception has been so positive is because the bar is set so low specifically for Sonic.
Yup. With the lowest bar imaginable, it's easy to score a homerun... even though they had been still failing at it all the same.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Rovio only has experience in two things, mobile games and cartoons. Wonder if they will make Rovio make a Sonic cartoon in the style of those angry birds cartoons?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Rovio only has experience in two things, mobile games and cartoons. Wonder if they will make Rovio make a Sonic cartoon in the style of those angry birds cartoons?
In the press conference they specifically focus on the market share that mobile gaming has on the gaming industry as a whole, which is above 50% compared to both PC and console gaming, so it's the biggest share altogether. I can see why SEGA opted to purchase Rovio so they can delve more into the mobile gaming part of it.

Reactions: raxadian

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
In the press conference they specifically focus on the market share that mobile gaming has on the gaming industry as a whole, which is above 50% compared to both PC and console gaming, so it's the biggest share altogether. I can see why SEGA opted to purchase Rovio so they can delve more into the mobile gaming part of it.

Thing is Rovio only basically has two mobile games nowadays, Angry Birds and clones and that Fruit Nibblers. They are not a comany that has experience doing anything but Angry Bird variants and puzzle games. They haven't done games beyond that since the era Symbian was still a popular Os for phones.

Meanwhile Sega mobile games... Well they only had less that five that people really played.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always happy to see Sega get whatever moderate wins they can, but I hope they don't learn the wrong lessons from this; the game is still very much a work in progress. One could even call it a beta, and the only reason reception has been so positive is because the bar is set so low specifically for Sonic.
I feel like Frontiers approaches Sonic 06 levels of bad.

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
I feel like Frontiers approaches Sonic 06 levels of bad.

No.

06 is... Basically an early beta.

Rise of Lyric, even after over ten gigabytes of patches is just horrible.

This is at most as bad as a Sonic Adventure early beta, got some crazy bugs but the game is still fun.

Also don't play the game on Nintendo Switch, that's just begging for the game to crap on you.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No.

06 is... Basically an early beta.

Rise of Lyric, even after over ten gigabytes of patches is just horrible.

This is at most as bad as a Sonic Adventure early beta, got some crazy bugs but the game is still fun.

Also don't play the game on Nintendo Switch, that's just begging for the game to crap on you.
I haven't played the game in months but I'm pretty sure the PS4 also has bad pop in and some slowdown.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I own the game, even have the original shoes that you got for joining the sonic newsletter, but it's in my backlog. A friend said it was very good though.

Reactions: raxadian

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol