New Nintendo financial report lays out 2022 schedule, reveals hardware sales down 20%

Nintendo_Switch_Logo.png

Nintendo has released their financial report for the fiscal year 2022, stretching from April 2021 to March 2022, and, as always, it reveals some interesting sales figures and plans for the future. The most immediate numbers are sales figures for the Nintendo Switch family of consoles (the standard edition, Lite, and OLED) which show a 20% decrease from the previous fiscal year (23.06 million units down from 28.83 million). While this technically hits Nintendo's sales expectations, that number has been slowly lowered over the course of the fiscal year. Nintendo initially forecasted to sell 25.5 million hardware units in FY2022, but dropped that number to 24 million in November, then again to 23 million in February. In a document accompanying the financial report, Nintendo projects 21 million hardware unit sales for FY2023, citing the semiconductor shortage as the culprit.

Despite these issues, the Nintendo Switch continues to outsell the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. In the same fiscal year, the PlayStation 5 sold 11.5 million units, bringing total sales to 19.3 million. (Notably, Sony expects PS5 sales to increase to 18 million in the next fiscal year, contrary to Nintendo's expectations.) Exact sales figures haven't been released for the Xbox Series X|S, but NPD analyst Mat Piscatella reports that, while Xbox won the last two quarters in hardware revenue, Nintendo still sold more units in that same period.

Luckily, Nintendo's software sales continue to be strong, up 1.8% from last year. There were several high-performing games this year, including Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, which hit 14.65 million units, and Pokémon Legends: Arceus, which sold 12.64 million units with two fewer months on the market, showing that Game Freak's deviation from the series formula has paid off. (For reference, less traditional Pokémon spin-off, New Pokémon Snap, sold 2.4 million units.)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, during its fourth year of release, sold another 9.94 million units, though these numbers were almost certainly boosted by new DLC tracks. Metroid Dread has also emerged as the best selling game in the series, shipping 2.9 million units since its launch in October, edging out previous series best Metroid Prime at 2.8 million.

Speaking of Metroid, in a section laying out Nintendo's biggest upcoming releases, the long-delayed Metroid Prime 4 is still only given a release date of TBA. Advance Wars 1+2: Reboot Camp, which appears to be finished but was delayed at the start of the Russia-Ukraine war due to "recent world events," is also still listed as TBA. With the sequel to Breath of the Wild delayed to Spring 2023, the following games are expected to carry Nintendo through the end of 2022: Mario Strikers Battle League (June 10), Fire Emblem: Three Hopes (June 24), Monster Hunter Rise: Sunbreak (June 30), Xenoblade Chronicles 3 (July 29), Splatoon 3 (September 9), Pokémon Scarlet and Violet (late 2022), and Bayonetta 3 (2022).

Bayonetta 3 is a notable inclusion on the list, as it has also had a worryingly-long and quiet development, having been announced in December 2017 and since then only getting a brief mention in a February 2019 Nintendo Direct and its first gameplay trailer last September.

:arrow: Source

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone said, we are probably heading to a whole new console at this point. Not just a Pro.
And BotW2 is going to be released in 2023. Perfect launch game for a new console.

Just thinking about it makes me want to pre-order when it's available. 🙂

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A forecast of "only" 21 millions consoles sold during the Switch's 6th year is impressive compared to the Wii which was discontinued after 5 years.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well a bit off topic but watch the switches successor's security being stricter then Area 51's (except they won't kill you if you try to break in....or will they ? :ninja: the only we got lucky with the switch is because of them using the off the shelf tegra X1 which had a known exploit Nintendo will do their homework next time around the XBone/Series to date are the only "unhackable" consoles right now, though i'm supprised dev's didn't stop playing nice with MS when they revolked peoples devkit licenses

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
time for the switch pro nintendo switch is dying
Don't worry nintendo will be in desperate need for a new console.

Tho the fans may think nintendo are doing good, they need to remind themselves that its not about how many consoles they can sell.

Its how long that console can go for, having said that, this is nintendos 2nd console in the time sony and microsoft have just only released their next console.

And this will mean nintendo will have to up its game, they'll ditch the switch concept, they'll find a new gimmick idea to mask thr fact they're releasing subpar ps4/xbx1x hardware.

Again promise better third party which will again be in the form of all the third party titles they lacked on the switch, and just like the switch nintendo promised better third party support and that was a massive port whore, even nintendo pretty much couldn't be bothered and ported everything they can over.

And again its new console wont be as powerful as current gen on purpose, so third parties either risk porting an inferior version of its new titles and risk poor sales or play it safe and port its old stuff.

This leaving the market open for nintendos titles to get better sales when it has less competition.

As for the claim of pokemon move paying off, no, pokemon has a massive fan base as do other nintendo icons, its obvious these fans will buy that game.

But the game is so bloody boring its just like they took BOTW, kept all the sound effects and voice sounds, removed the endless repetitive shrines, enemies and threw pointless random pokemon wandering aimlessly.

Has nothing story driven at all, its just throw the player in a massive map and repeat the same thing over and over and some side missions on the go.

Sorry but its a fucking nightmare to have to keep going through your pokemon and releasing them because you have to catch them far too many times and different variations.

Ive tried so many times to like the game, but like BOTW, its just proves yet again that nintendo simply fails to do what so many others have already been there and do that.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo is only outselling the competition because they have already-made units available still. PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series S and X have not been selling well because they were made and released shortly before the mandates that then brought about the chip shortage (take that as you will, whether the pandemic and chip shortages were calculated political tactics to control people, or were actually as they were reported in the mainstream - that's a debate I'm not going into right now). Steam Deck is also having a hard time selling, but that's because it's being sold while a chip shortage is still in effect.

Ironically, there's a legitimate worldwide concern that planet Earth is running out of sand, which seems crazy since sand is found in abundance in deserts and beaches (of which there's quite a bit of them), but if the concern escalates, then that also could contribute to the chip shortage, as governments would probably restrict companies from using sand in areas where they usually get silica for chip manufacturing (and not merely because these places no longer have sand anymore).

In any case, Nintendo has probably made plenty of Switch consoles since 2017, and thus stores won't be selling out of Switches anytime soon. The only true reason for the 20% hardware sales decrease is to be expected - there's plenty of already bought consoles in circulation, and since the three types (original, Lite, OLED) play the same games, there's not much reason to buy more than one per user (although I have two).

Lazyt

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I bet they going to release some shitty revision console anyway like 2k resolution 35fps when docked called switch plus..just look at the valve new handheld devic or how it is called it can run all present games ..it is all possible nowadays

Lazyt

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
I bet they going to release some shitty revision console anyway like 2k resolution 35fps when docked called switch plus..just look at the valve new handheld devic or how it is called it can run all present games ..it is all possible nowadays

Reactions: bonkmaykr

TheTrueDream42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This does mean that the Gen4 remakes of the Pokémon games is the best selling remakes of all time (as well as outselling all "3rd" versions ever made). Though to be fair, all of the main switch games have sold very well, with Sword/Shield being the 2nd best of all time.

Reactions: relauby

bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
That shit is going to plummet if Valve begins marketing the Steam Deck to the broader console market and allows people to buy them without being existing Steam users.

Surely not any time soon since they have this whole reservation thing going to slow down scalpers, but maybe in the future, by which point the Switch will have surely fallen off to an extent anyway.

I'm not sure if the hybrid portability "gimmick" of the Switch is really a good selling point anymore, or if it's the opposite of dead now and is standard, but there are people interested and I do think there is still time for others to compete with Nintendo especially since no big names are really making full portables at the moment. This might also be the perfect time for the PSP/Vita to make a return.

I say "gimmick" with quotes because switching from dock to handheld is not really a gimmick, it's a very useful convenience. But with that said, and here's where I was going with that: I don't think it holds the same innovative weight as motion/touch controls did two generations ago, and Nintendo is going to definitely have to step things up if they want to stand out from the crowd next year.

But hey, that's just a theory, a highly uncredible sales predictions theory!

MagnesG

GBAtemp Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't worry nintendo will be in desperate need for a new console.

Tho the fans may think nintendo are doing good, they need to remind themselves that its not about how many consoles they can sell.

Its how long that console can go for, having said that, this is nintendos 2nd console in the time sony and microsoft have just only released their next console.

And this will mean nintendo will have to up its game, they'll ditch the switch concept, they'll find a new gimmick idea to mask thr fact they're releasing subpar ps4/xbx1x hardware.

Again promise better third party which will again be in the form of all the third party titles they lacked on the switch, and just like the switch nintendo promised better third party support and that was a massive port whore, even nintendo pretty much couldn't be bothered and ported everything they can over.

And again its new console wont be as powerful as current gen on purpose, so third parties either risk porting an inferior version of its new titles and risk poor sales or play it safe and port its old stuff.

This leaving the market open for nintendos titles to get better sales when it has less competition.

As for the claim of pokemon move paying off, no, pokemon has a massive fan base as do other nintendo icons, its obvious these fans will buy that game.

But the game is so bloody boring its just like they took BOTW, kept all the sound effects and voice sounds, removed the endless repetitive shrines, enemies and threw pointless random pokemon wandering aimlessly.

Has nothing story driven at all, its just throw the player in a massive map and repeat the same thing over and over and some side missions on the go.

Sorry but its a fucking nightmare to have to keep
going through your pokemon and releasing them because you have to catch them far too many times and different variations.

Ive tried so many times to like the game, but like BOTW, its just proves yet again that nintendo simply fails to do what so many others have already been there and do that.
You like cinematic stuff much more than gameplay? Don't worry though plenty of people enjoyed them.

That shit is going to plummet if Valve begins marketing the Steam Deck to the broader console market and allows people to buy them without being existing Steam users.

Surely not any time soon since they have this whole reservation thing going to slow down scalpers, but maybe in the future, by which point the Switch will have surely fallen off to an extent anyway.

I'm not sure if the hybrid portability "gimmick" of the Switch is really a good selling point anymore, or if it's the opposite of dead now and is standard, but there are people interested and I do think there is still time for others to compete with Nintendo especially since no big names are really making full portables at the moment. This might also be the perfect time for the PSP/Vita to make a return.

I say "gimmick" with quotes because switching from dock to handheld is not really a gimmick, it's a very useful convenience. But with that said, and here's where I was going with that: I don't think it holds the same innovative weight as motion/touch controls did two generations ago, and Nintendo is going to definitely have to step things up if they want to stand out from the crowd next year.

Normal consoles solds around 20m+ on average per year of their lifecycle. Are you estimating that Valve can get SteamDeck to that number anytime, like at all?

Seems like the chip shortage issue is nonexistent for some, when it affects all.

CrAzYLiFe

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
nintendo is stupid for two things.

1. not allowing save's to be moved to SD Cards.
2. not allowing pokemon games to allow cloud saving.

i would say a third thing but it's not on topic.

i swear if i could play online and play a hacked switch online without owning 2 switch's it would be grand. you failed this gen in my eyes.
The fact you have two switches to have one hacked and to play online would indicate nintendo have not failed

bonkmaykr

Battle Ready
Trophies
Website
bonkmaykr.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Normal consoles solds around 20m+ on average per year of their lifecycle. Are you estimating that Valve can get SteamDeck to that number anytime, like at all?

Seems like the chip shortage issue is nonexistent for some, when it affects all.
Switch is affected by chip shortage too, not just Valve's Steam Deck. You said it yourself.

And since you said anytime, not now... Yes!

trimesh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong

I work in the electronics business - everyone is supply constrained at the moment. Nintendo are big enough and have enough direct supply contacts that they miss a lot of the worst of it, but it's hitting the whole industry. Even parts that would in normal circumstances be considered to be basically unlimited in supply (like MLCCs) are tight enough to force a lot of companies into the secondary market.

I'm sure their production is down from the level they could hit it everything was free flowing, and the high costs have also limited their ability to simulate demand by reducing costs (since all the prices are elevated right now), but the console is still selling pretty well.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch Pro? lmao!

The Switch has been out for five years now, so next year Nintendo will probably announce or release its successor.
As long as the golden goose is laying egg ( software sales ) why slay it ? Foolish act on successor is invitation for disaster.

Hardware sale is still good too. Not having a powerful hardware since day one was a good strategy, nothing has changed, it’s still weak in hard ware and people now has more reason to buy than then.

TomSwitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

After 6 years where are the kick ass joycon games? They have failed miserably with joycon. The worst hardware and software piece of lame effort.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As long as the golden goose is laying egg ( software sales ) why slay it ? Foolish act on successor is invitation for disaster.

Hardware sale is still good too. Not having a powerful hardware since day one was a good strategy, nothing has changed, it’s still weak in hard ware and people now has more reason to buy than then.
If I were to spend $300 on a Nintendo game console, I'd just wait for the next one, not a 5 year old console.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte