New Super Mario Bros 2 Announced For 3DS

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by granville, Apr 21, 2012.

Apr 21, 2012
  1. granville
    OP

Member granville GBAtemp Goat

United States
    [​IMG]

In today's Nintendo Direct conference, Satoru Iwata formally announced a new Mario game for the Nintendo 3DS. It is titled New Super Mario Bros 2. It had previously been announced that the 3DS would be receiving a new 2D Mario game and this is apparently that game. Several screenshots were shown in the video stream and it does seem to be a direct sequel of sorts to the DS and Wii NSMB games. Visually the game looks like its DS and Wii counterparts, carrying over the visual style from them. NSMB2 however now features the raccoon suit from Super Mario Bros 3 (not the tanooki suit, which covers Mario's entire body). The "P" gauge from Mario 3 also seems to be returning (only seems to appear when Mario is in the raccoon suit). And in addition to this information, New Super Mario Bros 2 has also been confirmed for release this August 2012 in Japan. Keep your eyes out for incoming info in the near future (especially E3). Please check the second source for a few more screenshots of the game.

[​IMG] Source #1
    [​IMG] Source #2

3 people like this.

2. lokomelo

Member lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    I cant say that I will not get it (I love this game after all), but I would expect something more creative.

1 person likes this.
  3. loco365

Member loco365 GBAtemp Guru

Take my money. The P-Meter was so amazing and whatnot.

4. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Gasp, this might be the first Mario game I don't buy. Mainly because I don't like the style and gameplay and looks of the New Super Mario Bros. series. They're boring.

3 people like this.
  5. ViRGE

Member ViRGE GBAtemp Fan

I love Mario platformers, but after NSMB I'm a bit worried. It was a breath of fresh air at the time (2006; some 15 years after the last proper Mario platformer), but it was also kind of bland in the level department, and because Nintendo wanted to make it accessable it was disappointingly easy. Nintendo needs to be sure to push the envelope here, as another NSMB game similiar to the first would be a disappointment.

6. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    I wish they would atleast change the graphical style, it looks the same as the other new super mario bros games.
    Something tells me it's going to sound and control the same as well.

3 people like this.
  7. lokomelo

Member lokomelo Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Brazil
    I remember how easy was to beat Super Mario World, and I remember how hard was to achieve 100% in Super Mario World. That was a balanced game in my opinion. I hope they remember this to made a good game to all gamers.

4 people like this.
  8. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I am a little disappointed :/ I clicked on this thinking it would blow my mind and all I see is a game that looks more like a fan-made game instead of a real Nintendo game.

3 people like this.
  9. elgarta

Member elgarta GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Well, goodbye dreams of seeing SMB4 :(

I was not a fan of NSMB, I just didn't find the game very enjoyable. Hopefully this will be a bit more enjoyable for me

10. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    The special secret worlds were so fun :P
    I loved how they added the level that you see on the title screen.

11. heartgold

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Gameplay video would be nice, hopefully it plays more like the Wii version if not better. Mmm i see the P.... =D Could turn out to be great.

12. DDTarZan

Member DDTarZan Never getting laid again /s

United States
    Oh my goodness. And here I though people would have loved another game like Mario 3, or at least the core idea of it. And with the graphics and all the other shit that we have these days, people expect a Mario 4? To me, it sounds like people want Nintendo to make another 8-bit game, kinda like how Capcom made Mega Man 9 and 10. Seriously dudes, take the nostalgia while you can get it. Or, if you're disappointed that this game might not turn out like a game you like, why don't you go and play that game again?

2 people like this.
  13. Ben_j

Member Ben_j GBAtemp Advanced Fan

France
    Just when I was considering selling my 3DS... :/

14. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    I'm disappointed. This should have been the next Mario.

15. smile72

Member smile72 NewsBot

Japan
    I'll probably eventually buy this game.

16. shakirmoledina

Member shakirmoledina Legend

Tanzania
    will it reach the level nsmb reached on the ds? uniqueness... has nintendo still got it ?!
    Great news for 3ds owners and with 3d, i cant expect it to get some ideas from virtual boy

17. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Meh.. Personally a lot of the latest Mario games have been letdowns compared to the older ones. Not that they're not good games, they're just not good Mario games imho. Also SM3DL was made far too easy. I mean if you died a few times in a row, you'd get an invulnerable and everlasting starpower.. Where's the challenge? :I (yes I know you don't have to use it, but still... Good old CRASH AND BURN SMB3 was a challenge :P)

2 people like this.
  18. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Remember when we used to have a new Mario platformer every 3 years...sometimes longer? Now its a yearly release.

I'm still disappointed with Mario 3D Land feeling like "just another Mario game" and finishing it within a day. I enjoyed the hell out of NSMB DS & Wii but I would be happy to not see a return to the series, its just same old same old. I wanted a Mario game with a different graphic style, some new ideas I mean its not like it would be a risky move to change something for this release. Look at Sunshine & SMW2: Yoshi's Island...those two became massive sellers. Shit I even reckon Galaxy 3DS would be welcome, even Galaxy 2 left me wanting more and there are still a lot of things you can do for that game...unlike NSMB.

How about actually matching the games title with the content? This could be a lot of fun and a nice change if they were doing a new version of Super Mario Bros 2. It would be nice to play a new game with that gameplay and also play Toad again. I loved the looks and enemies of that world. I can't say we'll that that happen or a return to the style of gameplay and world of Mario Land 2.

I think the Mario series should have an extra person in charge. Miyamoto does the main series on consoles so we can still get great stuff like Galaxy and then he should get someone for the handheld games, someone fresh because Miyamoto is pretty much involved with every major Nintendo game so he can't really dedicate his time to that many.

Anyway I'm sure this will be yet another high quality release and it will be a lot of fun but I just wish Nintendo would shake things up. Its not like it'll not make a million, its freaking Mario even his commercial failures sell more than most high profile releases. I mean NSMB has sold at least 25 million EACH on just ONE system. Call of Duty could not do that, ever.

3 people like this.
  19. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    sorry ninty i'm over 2d mario call me when galaxy 3 is ready...or what happened to mario 128?!

1 person likes this.
  20. Hielkenator

Member Hielkenator GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    I 100% agree. I do not own NSBW for the same reason.
    Old skool mario ( NES, SNES ) where FAR better.