granville

GBAtemp Goat
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
564732960.jpg

In today's Nintendo Direct conference, Satoru Iwata formally announced a new Mario game for the Nintendo 3DS. It is titled New Super Mario Bros 2. It had previously been announced that the 3DS would be receiving a new 2D Mario game and this is apparently that game. Several screenshots were shown in the video stream and it does seem to be a direct sequel of sorts to the DS and Wii NSMB games. Visually the game looks like its DS and Wii counterparts, carrying over the visual style from them. NSMB2 however now features the raccoon suit from Super Mario Bros 3 (not the tanooki suit, which covers Mario's entire body). The "P" gauge from Mario 3 also seems to be returning (only seems to appear when Mario is in the raccoon suit). And in addition to this information, New Super Mario Bros 2 has also been confirmed for release this August 2012 in Japan. Keep your eyes out for incoming info in the near future (especially E3). Please check the second source for a few more screenshots of the game.

icon11.gif
Source #1
icon11.gif
Source #2

Reactions: 3 people

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Gasp, this might be the first Mario game I don't buy. Mainly because I don't like the style and gameplay and looks of the New Super Mario Bros. series. They're boring.

ViRGE

Trophies
XP
Country
I love Mario platformers, but after NSMB I'm a bit worried. It was a breath of fresh air at the time (2006; some 15 years after the last proper Mario platformer), but it was also kind of bland in the level department, and because Nintendo wanted to make it accessable it was disappointingly easy. Nintendo needs to be sure to push the envelope here, as another NSMB game similiar to the first would be a disappointment.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I wish they would atleast change the graphical style, it looks the same as the other new super mario bros games.
Something tells me it's going to sound and control the same as well.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
I love Mario platformers, but after NSMB I'm a bit worried. It was a breath of fresh air at the time (2006; some 15 years after the last proper Mario platformer), but it was also kind of bland in the level department, and because Nintendo wanted to make it accessable it was disappointingly easy. Nintendo needs to be sure to push the envelope here, as another NSMB game similiar to the first would be a disappointment.
I remember how easy was to beat Super Mario World, and I remember how hard was to achieve 100% in Super Mario World. That was a balanced game in my opinion. I hope they remember this to made a good game to all gamers.

Reactions: 4 people

elgarta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, goodbye dreams of seeing SMB4 :(

I was not a fan of NSMB, I just didn't find the game very enjoyable. Hopefully this will be a bit more enjoyable for me

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
I remember how easy was to beat Super Mario World, and I remember how hard was to achieve 100% in Super Mario World. That was a balanced game in my opinion. I hope they remember this to made a good game to all gamers.
The special secret worlds were so fun :P
I loved how they added the level that you see on the title screen.

DDTarZan

Never getting laid again /s
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh my goodness. And here I though people would have loved another game like Mario 3, or at least the core idea of it. And with the graphics and all the other shit that we have these days, people expect a Mario 4? To me, it sounds like people want Nintendo to make another 8-bit game, kinda like how Capcom made Mega Man 9 and 10. Seriously dudes, take the nostalgia while you can get it. Or, if you're disappointed that this game might not turn out like a game you like, why don't you go and play that game again?

Reactions: 2 people

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Meh.. Personally a lot of the latest Mario games have been letdowns compared to the older ones. Not that they're not good games, they're just not good Mario games imho. Also SM3DL was made far too easy. I mean if you died a few times in a row, you'd get an invulnerable and everlasting starpower.. Where's the challenge? :I (yes I know you don't have to use it, but still... Good old CRASH AND BURN SMB3 was a challenge :P)

Reactions: 2 people

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember when we used to have a new Mario platformer every 3 years...sometimes longer? Now its a yearly release.

I'm still disappointed with Mario 3D Land feeling like "just another Mario game" and finishing it within a day. I enjoyed the hell out of NSMB DS & Wii but I would be happy to not see a return to the series, its just same old same old. I wanted a Mario game with a different graphic style, some new ideas I mean its not like it would be a risky move to change something for this release. Look at Sunshine & SMW2: Yoshi's Island...those two became massive sellers. Shit I even reckon Galaxy 3DS would be welcome, even Galaxy 2 left me wanting more and there are still a lot of things you can do for that game...unlike NSMB.

How about actually matching the games title with the content? This could be a lot of fun and a nice change if they were doing a new version of Super Mario Bros 2. It would be nice to play a new game with that gameplay and also play Toad again. I loved the looks and enemies of that world. I can't say we'll that that happen or a return to the style of gameplay and world of Mario Land 2.

I think the Mario series should have an extra person in charge. Miyamoto does the main series on consoles so we can still get great stuff like Galaxy and then he should get someone for the handheld games, someone fresh because Miyamoto is pretty much involved with every major Nintendo game so he can't really dedicate his time to that many.

Anyway I'm sure this will be yet another high quality release and it will be a lot of fun but I just wish Nintendo would shake things up. Its not like it'll not make a million, its freaking Mario even his commercial failures sell more than most high profile releases. I mean NSMB has sold at least 25 million EACH on just ONE system. Call of Duty could not do that, ever.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Meh.. Personally a lot of the latest Mario games have been letdowns compared to the older ones. Not that they're not good games, they're just not good Mario games imho. Also SM3DL was made far too easy. I mean if you died a few times in a row, you'd get an invulnerable and everlasting starpower.. Where's the challenge? :I (yes I know you don't have to use it, but still... Good old CRASH AND BURN SMB3 was a challenge :P)
I 100% agree. I do not own NSBW for the same reason.
Old skool mario ( NES, SNES ) where FAR better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Those IHOP chips are actually pretty damn good