Homebrew WIP melonDS for Switch

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always thought why devs never started porting Desmume emulator to switch.... oh welll, nice job anyway <3

MelonDS is getting better and better than Desmume. Desmume is going to failed miserably. MelonDS has wifi in it so it is a win-win emulator and accurate as well. :)

hallo23

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hummm, something weird here, horizon 6.2, atmosphere, without issues with other versions of this homebrew, but after new version the menu crashes when scrolling down a little between my ds titles.
thanks!
This happend to me too.

It was because one file had a "ß" in its name.
It seems like melon didn't like that after I changed that letter it didn't crash anymore.

So check your files if there is maybe a letter that could cause problems.

Last edited by hallo23,

Csmrcc

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Thank you, I'm gonna check names and games.

EDIT: you were right guys, the problem was our beloved "ñ" hehe, the weird thing is that i havent changed the titles since some versions ago, i mean, maybe it has to be related with the relation between the new icons and icons or idk. Anyway, problem solved.

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Ah yeah, that makes sense. I should probably add more characters to the font, or at least make it a blank space for unsupported characters instead of outright crashing. I meant to take care of that when I first did the OpenGL UI, but then I forgot and nobody reported any issues so I never did it :P

Reactions: Rickyman and Csmrcc

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I forgot where I heard it but I believe the dev for drastic ds emulator for android will be making there source code available within the next couple of months.

ShootHere

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I forgot where I heard it but I believe the dev for drastic ds emulator for android will be making there source code available within the next couple of months.
Dra-Stic is fantastic on the Raspberry Pi. Imagine what it could do on the Switch!

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
But how would you use the touch screen when docked? just R Stick'n'click?
I think a cool way to do it would be something like an IR pointer using a Joy-Con, but also would have the R stick as a secondary option. For now though, touch only works in handheld.

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, just so you guys know, I silently updated melonDS 0.7.4. The only noticeable change is that there's now a control mapping screen that clearly shows when you're supposed to press the button you wanna map. Before it wouldn't do anything, and it was kinda confusing :P

Also, I decided to port my NES emulator to the Switch (for the homebrew bounty!) if you're interested in that for some reason. Maybe you enjoy messing around with unfinished emulators? I know I do! You can see more about it here. Interestingly, the docked audio problem that melonDS has is also present in NoiES. I guess that means it's a me problem, not a melonDS problem :wacko:

Billy Acuña

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh, just so you guys know, I silently updated melonDS 0.7.4. The only noticeable change is that there's now a control mapping screen that clearly shows when you're supposed to press the button you wanna map. Before it wouldn't do anything, and it was kinda confusing :P

Also, I decided to port my NES emulator to the Switch (for the homebrew bounty!) if you're interested in that for some reason. Maybe you enjoy messing around with unfinished emulators? I know I do! You can see more about it here. Interestingly, the docked audio problem that melonDS has is also present in NoiES. I guess that means it's a me problem, not a melonDS problem :wacko:
Hey nice!
Any chance to support other NES palettes such the NES Classic palette?
Perhaps CRT filters too?

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
Hey nice!
Any chance to support other NES palettes such the NES Classic palette?
Perhaps CRT filters too?
Haha, I need fix the remaining inaccuracies and finish the sound system before I consider anything like that! I'm not sure if I would bother adding extra features though; I'll probably move on to something else. I'm interested in making an N64 emulator that doesn't rely on all those different plugins that all have different compatibility. Or I'll focus on the melonDS core. Who knows? This is all just for fun either way :P

Nouns

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I really appreciate the hard work you are putting into this project, hope it gets better in the future.
I would appreciate if anybody can help, I put my DS BIOS in the melonds folder but the emulator wont recognize it. All bios7, 9 and firware have the .bin extension.

Did i do anything wrong?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I really appreciate the hard work you are putting into this project, hope it gets better in the future.
I would appreciate if anybody can help, I put my DS BIOS in the melonds folder but the emulator wont recognize it. All bios7, 9 and firware have the .bin extension.

Did i do anything wrong?

Oh nevermind, i just noticed that the bios name were incorrect

Reactions: Csmrcc

Hydr8gon

Dragon Trainer
OP
Developer
Trophies
Website
hydr8gon.github.io
XP
Country
Canada
@Hydr8gon any chance to have rumble support?
You may need ask to @StapleButter to implement this on MelonDS core first.
Yeah, that would definitely have to be implemented in core melonDS first. Might not be too complicated though, maybe I could look into it myself after I finish up NoiES. Side note, I totally forgot the DS even had a rumble pak addon, I thought you were crazy at first [emoji14]

Reactions: Billy Acuña

Csmrcc

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@Hydr8gon any chance to have rumble support?
You may need ask to @StapleButter to implement this on MelonDS core first.
Rumble on de?
Yeah, that would definitely have to be implemented in core melonDS first. Might not be too complicated though, maybe I could look into it myself after I finish up NoiES. Side note, I totally forgot the DS even had a rumble pak addon, I thought you were crazy at first [emoji14]
I was having a Alzheimer attach too about if the DS can rumble by itself
XD

Arisotura

rise of melonism
Trophies
Website
kuribo64.net
XP
Country
France
re: rumble support

this is grouped together with things like memory expansion pak, since we need to design a good system for GBA slot addons before we start coding any of them

then we have to see what we can do. iirc SDL's rumble support works by telling the joypad "rumble at X force for Y milliseconds". I think the control for the rumble pak is way more low-level than that (something like "write 1 to turn motor on, write 0 to turn it off" and they do PWM to change the force), which would be troublesome to translate to SDL without too much lag.

edit- not quite what I described (http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dscartrumblepak) but equally annoying to emulate

also I want to think about how melonDS ports are handled (keep it a separate repo? merge with main one?)

Last edited by Arisotura,

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
iirc SDL's rumble support works by telling the joypad "rumble at X force for Y milliseconds". I think the control for the rumble pak is way more low-level than that (something like "write 1 to turn motor on, write 0 to turn it off" and they do PWM to change the force), which would be troublesome to translate to SDL without too much lag.

edit- not quite what I described (http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#dscartrumblepak) but equally annoying to emulate
Just turn it on by SDL for a v short time every time the value is alternated? Fuck with the SDL command's duration and strength until it feels right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I know who I need to call. :ninja: