Denuvo's DRM technology for Nintendo Switch is now available in the Nintendo Developer Portal

F4MrbT4WgAEULQj.jpg

Denuvo, the infamous company on which game developers rely on to implement DRM to almost every new release nowadays, to varying degrees of performance issues and even worse user experiences, has announced today that their protection technologies are now available and accessible as an authorized Nintendo Switch "middleware" in the Nintendo Developer Portal (NDP).

This means that now developers working on Nintendo Switch titles or ports now have the accessibility and option to add Denuvo's anti-piracy protection, which they titled "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection". Their goal is to disallow any new game release from running in Nintendo Switch emulators, although this remains yet to be seen and properly tested from the end-user perspective. It is currently unknown how they would check between an emulator and real-hardware, but we can be sure that the current emulator developers (be it Yuzu or Ryujinx) will catch unto it and go into details about it when they find a game that uses it.

Denuvo released a following statement regarding Nintendo Switch games that are released as multi-platform and their emulation on day one in comparison with other consoles/PC:

Even if a game is protected against piracy on its PC version, the version released on Nintendo Switch can be emulated from day one and played on PC, therefore bypassing the strong protections offered on the PC version. This can happen with any of the numerous games available on Nintendo Switch.

By blocking unauthorized emulations on PC, studios are able to increase their revenue during the game launch window, which is the most important period for monetization. The Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection will ensure that anyone wishing to play the game has to buy a legitimate copy.

Alongside this statement, Denuvo claims that "the technology integrates seamlessly into the build toolchain with no impact on the gaming experience", but given almost every release that uses it and comparisons in performance between before and after the removal of Denuvo's DRM from known games, it's doubtful that this will be the case. To close it up, the CEO of Irdeto, Doug Lowther, said the following:

Irdeto CEO said:
As gamers, we know first-hand how piracy negatively affects the gaming industry. We’re thrilled to be part of the Nintendo Developers Portal, so that we can provide the latest technologies to help fight this issue for Nintendo Switch players and developers.

We witness an increasing need to protect against emulation on PC from game launch, our solution is a must have for publishers to monetize the games fairly on this platform and also not impact PC game sales.

Additionally, it remains to be seen just how this would affect gamer that don't connect their Nintendo Switch to the internet, or only use it for handheld gaming with no internet connection, given how the DRM is known to do its checks with a connection to the internet, as having a hybrid console this means that the system wouldn't always have an internet connection available.

:arrow: Source

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
The thing is, it's a limited amount of people pirating on a console. While 99.9% pirates on emulation on PC. I do understand companies like Nintendo seething seeing TOTK playable on something else than the Switch during current gen where the PC is an indirect competition to the Switch if so.

Normally emulators are fully and developed and working after the lifespan of the consoles.
You're underestimating the numbers that play on hacked consoles. You need to understand many don't have that luxury to own a beefy PC to run games decently.

What do you think will happen if these PC pirates want to play these "protected" games? You guessed it, they will jump to buy a hacked console which returns me to my main point.

Reactions: HRudyPlayZ

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
What do you think will happen if these PC pirates want to play these "protected" games? You guessed it, they will jump to buy a hacked console which returns me to my main point.
You actually overestimate the amount of pirates there is.
Yes, it's "a lot". But the amount of Switches and games sold, it's such a tiny % that it's more or less a rounding error.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Denuvo, the infamous company on which game developers rely on to implement DRM to almost every new release nowadays, to varying degrees of performance issues and even worse user experiences, has announced today that their protection technologies are now available and accessible as an authorized Nintendo Switch "middleware" in the Nintendo Developer Portal (NDP).

This means that now developers working on Nintendo Switch titles or ports now have the accessibility and option to add Denuvo's anti-piracy protection, which they titled "Nintendo Switch Emulator Protection". Their goal is to disallow any new game release from running in Nintendo Switch emulators, although this remains yet to be seen and properly tested from the end-user perspective. It is currently unknown how they would check between an emulator and real-hardware, but we can be sure that the current emulator developers (be it Yuzu or Ryujinx) will catch unto it and go into details about it when they find a game that uses it.

Denuvo released a following statement regarding Nintendo Switch games that are released as multi-platform and their emulation on day one in comparison with other consoles/PC:

Alongside this statement, Denuvo claims that "the technology integrates seamlessly into the build toolchain with no impact on the gaming experience", but given almost every release that uses it and comparisons in performance between before and after the removal of Denuvo's DRM from known games, it's doubtful that this will be the case. To close it up, the CEO of Irdeto, Doug Lowther, said the following:

Additionally, it remains to be seen just how this would affect gamer that don't connect their Nintendo Switch to the internet, or only use it for handheld gaming with no internet connection, given how the DRM is known to do its checks with a connection to the internet, as having a hybrid console this means that the system wouldn't always have an internet connection available.

:arrow: Source
once the denuvo sdk for switch leaks (bound too if a brave soul does it+ use a very secure vpn(though pretty sure it's per user maked like how 3ds/switch review copies are) guess empress will have a new hobby then (same company diff platform) just wondering if this new drm does scanning SD cards for cfw (though iirc thats an illegal breach of privacy law in some countries)

ninjastarforcex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
I am a bit concerned with this addition, though not from an emulation standpoint since I don't emulate Nintendo Switch games period, my gripe is more so the issues when running on genuine hardware. I don't play very many games that ever had Denuvo crammed into them on the computer (at times it seems the DRM gets removed with updates for certain titles out there anyways), but I do know of the DRM's flaws in regards to performance related issues. Personally I'm not much of a hardware whore who expected the Nintendo Switch to be extremely powerful and what not, even I know that these sorts of measures aren't practical on devices that can't just power their way through the impractical flaws produced by the DRM via hardware power brute force.

I kind of dread for titles like Metroid Prime 4 now.
Switch is already a weak console that barely runs 30fps, with unstable internet connection problem and low battery life.
add Denuvo it's overkill lol.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
I kind of dread for titles like Metroid Prime 4 now.
That is, assuming Nintendo will use it in their games, people would probably boycott them if that ever happen.
By the way, you all should already be boycotting them for allowing this nonsense to exist on their ecosystem.

Avalyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
once the denuvo sdk for switch leaks (bound too if a brave soul does it+ use a very secure vpn(though pretty sure it's per user maked like how 3ds/switch review copies are) guess empress will have a new hobby then (same company diff platform) just wondering if this new drm does scanning SD cards for cfw (though iirc thats an illegal breach of privacy law in some countries)
. . . . , , here are some punctuations, feel free to make your text legible by distributing them.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
i am genuienly going to be very surprised if any games use this. i just don't see the point, man.
like, for one thing the switch already has it's own layer of anti-piracy, why on earth do we need another layer?
that and you need a switch with cfw to pirate switch games, so you would need to already be somewhat dedicated to this whole piracy shit, and people who are dedicated are going to find their own ways to bypass devuno

ninjastarforcex

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
people who are dedicated are going to find their own ways to bypass devuno
and yet PC piracy on games with Denuvo is deader than ever.
there's only 1 (one) mentally unstable person who can and actually does crack games.
Only like... 1%? Denuvo games actually get cracked?
Denuvo is powerful, and denying it is pure cope.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto