Nintendo is suing the Yuzu emulator team

dsadasadsads.png

Nintendo is going after the development team of an emulator. A legal case was filed by Nintendo yesterday, alleging that the Nintendo Switch emulator, Yuzu, has caused damages to the company by allowing for its games to be played illegally before release. The suit also claims that the company behind the emulator, Tropic Haze LLC, makes a profit by facilitating piracy, noting that during the leak of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Yuzu's Patreon saw a large increase in users. Nintendo's legal team makes a case that Tropic Haze profits from and popularizes video game piracy.

In the legal document, Nintendo refers to an emulator as, "a piece of software that allows users to unlawfully play pirated video games". They also assert that the Yuzu team is aware of the emulator's use in the context of piracy, and do not try to hide that aspect. In addition, Nintendo's legal team states that extracting your own keys from a Nintendo Switch console--a requirement to run any Nintendo Switch emulator--is illegal.

:arrow: Source

gameboy64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Nintendo sueing someone because of emulation? Big surprise there... Good thing they didn't include keys like they did with Dolphin and that didnt end well

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
With his death died the personality of Nintendo, and I don't see that ever coming back, especially when on the USA front Reggie left us for Doug Bowser, who I legitimately only remember because of his last name. They're an impersonal company now, and it's why this whole situation sucks.
i've said it before and I'll say it again. they are the NEW apple now

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
i've said it before and I'll say it again. they are the NEW apple now
I don't think Apple is as bad as this company. No other corporations went out of their way to send hitmen to someone's home, stories you only hear coming from video game companies.

Reactions: BastarB

Ondrashek06

Trophies
XP
Country
Czech Republic
Another possible reason for this lawsuit is the fact that they were selling download keys for Yuzu's beta versions.
I'm absolutely not defending Nintendo here, just stating a possible reason.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't think Apple is as bad as this company. No other corporations went out of their way to send hitmen to someone's home, stories you only hear coming from video game companies.
were you not around when they tried to sue woolworths for using an apple in their logo? or what about when they tried to copyright the beveled edge making other phones not use it except theirs so they could sue them but failed miserably? Or my personal fav they tried to sue a train station clock (i'm not fucking joking the post about it is buried somewhere in this forums archives) they used to be the DMCA kings but nintenDMCA has taken their place!
:lol:

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Hassal

Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
were you not around when they tried to sue woolworths for using an apple in their logo? or what about when they tried to copyright the beveled edge making other phones not use it except theirs so they could sue them but failed miserably? Or my personal fav they tried to sue a train station clock (i'm not fucking joking the post about it is buried somewhere in this forums archives) they used to be the DMCA kings but nintenDMCA has taken their place!
:lol:
But how will that effect me as an end-user if two corporations clashes? They can both burn in hell for all I care, but once their hands extends disrupting user experience they have very much crossed the line.

draftguy123

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And you can also use it to play your own dumped games... i can't see how this is supposed to be an argument..
Post automatically merged:

And you can also use it to play your own dumped games... i can't see how this is supposed to be an argument..
Bad grammar…
My point was to set apart the word „pirated“ from the quote,
meaning you can also dump Switch games you bought.

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that'll be next if they win this. the guys at yuzu know all emulation will vanish that's why they are fighting ninSUEdo at court
would that include virtual machines cause i know some colleges that use it for courses so nintendo's risking opening up pandora's box? i rather see noa get sued by ivy league schools fuck even the FTC (again) for crossing the line heck anonymous may get involved if they win (seeing NSO so trashed for months would be just deserts or poetic justice)

also is it me or is emudeck being affected all it dl'd was the vita emulator

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Cacho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So I heard somewhere that they found the Yuzu discord was giving aways roms and all that? Dumped games?

tranceology3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Booooo!

They're trying to build up rulings against emulators to try and make them illegal outright. Fuck them, I normally buy all my games, but they're making it hard to be able to ethically support them.
Yeah, I dont understand why they are going after emulators. Honestly, if you have money you wont emulate the game cause you usually get a worse experience than the native hardware - youll just buy it...yes I know you can upscale on an emulator, but all games usually encounter some weird glitches that really suck when you are focused on the gaming experience. Now if you are broke and wont even buy the game in the first place, who gives a shit if someone plays it on an emulator. Point being, pirating a game on the native console VS on an emulator is a much different experience, and they should just go after that, not some glitchy emulation.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Very cool Nintendo, I'm sure this is wonderful PR for your console release just on the horizon.
The average Joe doesn't care. They'll continue purchasing the hardware and software while remaining blissfully unaware of why we view it as a problem.

Aristeia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The average Joe doesn't care. They'll continue purchasing the hardware and software while remaining blissfully unaware of why we view it as a problem.
Oh I'm well aware, I've long given up on that front. It's just amusing how little tact they have anymore, makes the late 80's look like an era of consumer and developer friendliness for Nintendo.

Reactions: Kioku

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
you've obviously never used yuzu or ryu it runs the games over 9000 times better than that shitty tablet ever could! :lol:
I'd say it's a worse experience *for the money*. Obviously you can bruteforce past it with PC components that cost multiples of the entire Switch, and good for you in that case. That's not really emulation running it better, though, that's just not being constrained by the budget and portability of the Switch itself.

Metoroid0

Samus Aran
Trophies
Website
www.metroidwiki.org
XP
Country
Japan
With his death died the personality of Nintendo, and I don't see that ever coming back, especially when on the USA front Reggie left us for Doug Bowser, who I legitimately only remember because of his last name. They're an impersonal company now, and it's why this whole situation sucks.
iHave exactly the same feelink about it.

if you have money you wont emulate the game cause you usually get a worse experience than the native hardware
is that an actual claim or sarcasm? because it contradict the reality.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto