Yuzu emulator shutting down, paying Nintendo 2.4 million in lawsuit settlement

maxresdefault-391830162.jpg

Just last week, on Tuesday, February 26th, 2024, news broke out about the Yuzu emulator team being sued by none other than Nintendo themselves, with Nintendo claiming that the emulator apparently allowed users to play certain games early (due to street dates being broken) and also allowing piracy of the current Nintendo Switch system.

Today, in a rather surprisingly quick manner, it seems like Tropic Haze LLC., the company behind the Yuzu team, has reached a settlement with Nintendo in regards to the lawsuit. According to a recent official document uploaded just a few minutes ago, Tropic Haze will pay up 2.4 million USD in favour to Nintendo, with both parties agreeing in the settlement and its amount.

UPDATE: According to the proposed Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction document, Yuzu as a whole in its current form will cease to exist, meaning no further development and prohibition of any distribution of built or source code forms of it.

:arrow: Official document of the settlement
:arrow: Final Judgement and Permanent Injunction

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
When the first document came out I was like "...well this was most neutral way this could've ended".

Then the Permanent Injunction came out.

Yeah, this is pretty fucked.

Edit: this has become even more fucked than I could've imagined.

Last edited by James_,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Go fuck yourself Nintendo, seriously.

And now, I fear emulators of all sorts will be next...
I want to know why a settlement was reached... Never will I guess. However, it seems a bit odd that if emulation is wholly legal, why did Yuzu bow out? Legal fees? The world will never know..

Newhouse-Estates

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is no big deal if development ceases, the emu is already built up very well and the damage has been done.
If nintendo released Zelda TOTK on better hardware that wasn't hacked since year one they wouldn't be able to complain about this. I played it on my pc because it just looks and feels playable then on my switch. I'm glad i can backup my game and play them on Yuzu in MUCH better quality.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Very sad but yuzu emulator update just released 4 hours ago. I am surprised that Nintendo didnt sue them for Citra 3DS emulator but yuzu ? Interested.

I am sure that someone else will used the source and continue working on it.

Nintendo, I will not buy your next system at all.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Very sad but yuzu emulator update just released 4 hours ago. I am surprised that Nintendo didnt sue them for Citra 3DS emulator but yuzu ? Interested.

I am sure that someone else will used the source and continue working on it.

Nintendo, I will not buy your next system at all.
Citra = was last kind of last gen, lack of interest of on it, pretty much came out at the end of it's life.
Yuzu = Been current gen all the way.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto