Lenovo Legion Go handheld gaming PC specs, pricing and promotional trailer leaked

lenovo legion go.jpg

After leaking the existence of Lenovo's own handheld gaming PC, online outlet Windows Report has followed up with new information in another report. In it, the website cites that an official document it reviewed revealed that the device, named the Lenovo Legion Go, will officially be unveiled on September 1st, and will go on sale for €799/$799 in October. It will sport a large, 8.8” QHD+ (2560 x 1600) screen, fast charging, a processor of "up to" AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme with AMD RDNA Graphics, up to 1TB NVMe storage, and will run on Windows 11. In addition to detachable controllers, the Legion Go will also be compatible with the Lenovo Legion Glasses AR glasses. More details can be found in the screenshot below obtained from the report:

lego.jpg

Some of these specs details were further corroborated by a separate leak by Twitter user @evleaks who shared a promotional trailer of the product:

While unofficial news, the trailer at the very least looks like what Lenovo might unveil on September 1, and if that's the case, we won't have to wait for long before the news is confirmed. What do you think of the Lenovo Legion Go handheld from these leaks?

:arrow: SOURCE

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
you couldn't be anymore wrong let me clarify
  1. first of all the fucking thing nannys the fuck out of you. it wont even let you install NON mic apps or programs until you disable a ton of hidden shit and settings. and worse of all every time you update they are back on!
  2. the useless thing was designed for tablet and touch screen laptops so you your stuck with that shitty tablet interface and unable to change it
  3. it's been proven that unless you have the newest shiniest computer or the latest upgrades w11 has lots of problems with older hardware especially the games
my sister got me to install it on her laptop it was a fucking nightmare i literally had to google to figure out how to disable all that nanny BS so i could install her NON microsoft graphic programs on it properly! told her to stick w11 up her ass afterwards.

and if you don't believe me go have a good READ

rule number one when it comes to windows you always ALWAYS SKIP the next version
To be fair then, it seems the perfect pick for this handheld? It’s got the latest shiny hardware, has a touch screen, and is catering to an audience that in large wants to be nannied and have things as simple as possible lol.

Like don’t get me wrong, Windows on a handheld in itself should be the diversive, and that’s fine. The Steam Deck has shown people that you can have a great game oriented UI for PC games and wanting that or something better is valid. Windows 11 does seem the best fit if you’re going to use Windows though.

retrospect

Trophies
XP
Country
Why would anyone moan that it comes with Windows when we all know that within a week of launch a SteamOS 3 install guide will be available?

Also, Windows is fine. You can play Forza on Windows. SteamOS might be a better handheld experience for many, but not all, and Windows is expensive to buy as a consumer. Having access to dual-boot is better than not having it.

gaga941021

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
The screen is nice but like… what’s going to be able to utilise it outside of maybe emulation? QHD just doesn’t seem necessary. Still, it’s decently priced for what it offers. Will be interesting to see if it catches on.
What's wrong with only emulation having better resolution?
You won't buy it anyway.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The screen is nice but like… what’s going to be able to utilise it outside of maybe emulation? QHD just doesn’t seem necessary.
...older games? The handheld will likely be more than powerful enough to play a lot of older / classic games at QHD, and they'll still look good.

Defective1Up

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This having the trackpad is definitely going to set it apart from the ROG Ally. It's already better. That's one of the best features on the Steam Deck is being able to use the trackpad for browsing the desktop.
Not sure how useful detachable controllers will be, but I hope an accessory will come out that's similar to the switch that makes it a solid controller, whatever the hell Nintendo calls that thing.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In theory it is just a PC, so I wonder how well X distro runs on it.
Yeah but it's more the question of how easy it will be to install Linux on it and have everything functioning?

Latiodile

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The screen is nice but like… what’s going to be able to utilise it outside of maybe emulation? QHD just doesn’t seem necessary. Still, it’s decently priced for what it offers. Will be interesting to see if it catches on.
these overpriced systems all always include an unnecessarily high end screen, if anything having an 800p screen would probably benefit these systems more than trying to go stupid high end smh

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
first of all the fucking thing nannys the fuck out of you
I don't understand Yeah now I get it. Idk I didn't felt it nannied me much more than W10.
the useless thing was designed for tablet and touch screen laptops so you your stuck with that shitty tablet interface and unable to change it
Never had to use it but I trust you. Obviously Microsoft likes to pull up this kind of shit with any OS they release.
it's been proven that unless you have the newest shiniest computer or the latest upgrades w11 has lots of problems with older hardware especially the games
Eh, it had the TPM thing a while ago sure, but that's about it. Performance-wise it's around the same and now it's even better than W10 since a few months, they've released a driver that allows your mouse to not grind up the CPU load when it moves, something that's been there since we use USB for mice. It's been pretty useful for me (I mostly play shooter games on PC). It's possible to install it on W10 but manually, I've seen someone grabbing the driver who knows where and install it.
I don't have the latest cutting edge PC either but I also understand why you wouldn't upgrade to the latest OS if your PC is old. It's always been like that, a shit ton of computers are still stuck to Windows XP partly because they are old and upgrading would make them run worse.

Dude your link in a fucking Minitool « article », it's an ad, they are selling software. It's either listing things that are true for W10 or that have been fixed already (I've read it, don't worry, it's really not that informative)
rule number one when it comes to windows you always ALWAYS SKIP the next version
It's not a rule, it's a meme mate. Not only some would argue W10 got worse over time, W11 is merely an update.
Windows 3 for it's time : good, 95 98 for it's time : good, ME : Bad, 2000 good, XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8 bad, 8.1 fine, 10 good. It's not a rule it was just a funny meme since XP and this meme says 10 bad because people didn't liked it at first. And I'm pretty sure you will hate 12 too (and maybe I will too)

It doesn't mean you don't have valid reasons to dislike it, it means it gets fixed and in the long run, usually better than it's predecessor. Not in all aspects because it's Microsoft.
I don't even want to shill for W11, it's just that I feel like « W10 > W11 » feels outdated based on my own usage. Performance-wise it's been better, I have seen improvements. And sure when I switched near the release I had some troubles (just like when I switched to W10 from W7) but now they've fixed a lot of shit and it's at least as good as W10 for me.

I do feel like the comparisons are still based on what W11 was at release, and idk. If they are going to release W12, then comparing W10 and W11 at their actual states will show that they are actually pretty similar overall, and I like the few improvements W11 made.

Still planning to switch fully to Linux one day tho, if I can have GPU passthrough and dual boot that would be great.

Reactions: thetechguy95

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you couldn't be anymore wrong let me clarify
  1. first of all the fucking thing nannys the fuck out of you. it wont even let you install NON mic apps or programs until you disable a ton of hidden shit and settings. and worse of all every time you update they are back on!
  2. the useless thing was designed for tablet and touch screen laptops so you your stuck with that shitty tablet interface and unable to change it
  3. it's been proven that unless you have the newest shiniest computer or the latest upgrades w11 has lots of problems with older hardware especially the games
my sister got me to install it on her laptop it was a fucking nightmare i literally had to google to figure out how to disable all that nanny BS so i could install her NON microsoft graphic programs on it properly! told her to stick w11 up her ass afterwards.

I really haven't ran into any of these issues. Granted I usually run Pro over Home (as that's what came my Surface Book 2, but the experience is no different unless you intentionally set it up with something like a domain environment and use Group Policy to tweak your windows (or use local group policy, either/or). It's not MUCH different than Windows 10's UI (sure the start menu is fugly, but I don't use recommended app icons anyways, I have been using the search bar to run anything I need to run since 7) and personally, the actual "tablet UI" that runs when Windows detects that it's in a tablet mode is MUCH better than 10's tablet UI. and of course it's going to be an issue running UNSUPPORTED hardware on Windows 11. Bear in mind, it's technically not built to support anything before 2018. Again, My Surface Book 2 has none of these issues.

I don't like Windows 11, but it's not any much worse than 10 was. My biggest complaint with it is that they somewhat arbitrarily cut of support for older devices that were fine, and that they obfuscate certain elements of the UI under 'show more options' context menus. Other than that, it works pretty well with my device that was initially designed for 10. The only reason to shoot for 11 Pro over home is if you're planning on joining your handheld to a domain environment, which I highly doubt (and that would be kinda dumb) and 10 is getting ready to have it's support dropped in about two years, so it would be very bad for new hardware to be built for an OS that isn't going to be supported that much longer. If you don't want to run 11 on it, just install 10, or even better, run HoloISO.

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a very ambitious device, but I'd like to point out the problems with it as I've already stated on XDA Developers.

First, those Joy-con wanna-be controllers can't last very long. Especially considering that they are plugged into the device itself. Consistent plugging and unplugging will wear it out quickly, making it where they just fall out consistently (unless it has a better "lock in" system than what I assume, in which case good for Lenovo).

Secondly, the button placement is weird. On XDA where I originally read about the Legion Go, I said
...What about that button placement? Those side buttons would be incredibly easy to trigger accidentally. The back placement is weird, too - two side by side on one side, one over the other on the other side. Weird!
Seeing the promotional trailer for the device, I now understand that the intent of the button placement, at least for the right side, is for holding the right controller in a gun-like grip, hence the side buttons. Still though, I can't help but wonder if so many people will accidentally push those buttons when holding the sides, and end up doing some undesired action in their games or apps.

Yet again, this looks like a beast of a device, meaning it's probably going to be harder to hold than the Steam Deck or ROG Ally. While it looks cool, what isn't cool is how they expect you to hold the unit. It wasn't really designed with ergonomics in mind.

The only thing I can really say is good about this is the AR glasses. It might be worth it, actually, considering the price point for the whole thing - that is, if the glasses come with it. If not, then not as awesome. Still, going hands-free and perhaps even substituting a Bluetooth controller you're comfortable with would be better IMO - which if you're going to do that, then why buy this thing?

I will say that several users here complain about it running Windows 11 Home. I don't see that as a problem necessarily, except Windows could drain the battery more than Linux, especially if it's bloated (which I can't imagine it not being so). You can actually put any OS you want on a system like this, but if you want a good experience OOTB, maybe better go with one of the competitors.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
off of my Windows rant, What I don't understand is these handheld companies are trying to one-up Valve by putting in unnecessarily high resolution screens in the devices. In my opinion, that is the deck's secret sauce. that 800p display allows it to run a good chunk of games reasonably well with it's little APU. with these z1 extreme devices, keeping with an 800p display (though manufacturing it with a better color space or OLED) would just make these perform even better. I see these displays as a flashy unnecessary selling point more than anything. I don't even think a high refresh rate panel is necessary but, I'm also content playing my games at 60 Hz as has been the standard since early generation consoles.

MrSandstorm

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Valve has done something amazing for the gaming market by putting a dent on the Windows monopoly, but now we're seeing the opportunist products doing their best to shove Windows into the new segment...

Last edited by MrSandstorm,

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States
I really haven't ran into any of these issues. Granted I usually run Pro over Home (as that's what came my Surface Book 2, but the experience is no different unless you intentionally set it up with something like a domain environment and use Group Policy to tweak your windows (or use local group policy, either/or). It's not MUCH different than Windows 10's UI (sure the start menu is fugly, but I don't use recommended app icons anyways, I have been using the search bar to run anything I need to run since 7) and personally, the actual "tablet UI" that runs when Windows detects that it's in a tablet mode is MUCH better than 10's tablet UI. and of course it's going to be an issue running UNSUPPORTED hardware on Windows 11. Bear in mind, it's technically not built to support anything before 2018. Again, My Surface Book 2 has none of these issues.

I don't like Windows 11, but it's not any much worse than 10 was. My biggest complaint with it is that they somewhat arbitrarily cut of support for older devices that were fine, and that they obfuscate certain elements of the UI under 'show more options' context menus. Other than that, it works pretty well with my device that was initially designed for 10. The only reason to shoot for 11 Pro over home is if you're planning on joining your handheld to a domain environment, which I highly doubt (and that would be kinda dumb) and 10 is getting ready to have it's support dropped in about two years, so it would be very bad for new hardware to be built for an OS that isn't going to be supported that much longer. If you don't want to run 11 on it, just install 10, or even better, run HoloISO.
Wait, is Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) available by default on W11 Home? That has been restricted to Pro editions since Windows XP. I had to explicitly install Pro because my W10 custom PC came with Home (it was refurbished, so it had to be Auto-KMS forced to register, as Refurbisher licenses are incompatible to directly change to a consumer release), and it did NOT include gpedit.msc, or anything similar, and everything had to be done in the Registry, which SecurityHealthSvc could at any point revert on me if I disabled anything, including automatic updates. If all editions of W11 include it, I am going to buy one of these with my stimulus money IMMEDITELY after getting it, in addition to an unpatched Switch, 512GB microSD, HORI Controller, and a copy of TOTK. This sh*t is too good to pass up. I always wanted a marginal upgrade to my GTX 1060 3GB, and this seems like the very best option price-wise and feature-wise.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...