Lenovo is reportedly working on a handheld gaming PC, the Lenovo Go

Screenshot_2023-07-31-23-52-48-866_com.brave.browser-edit.jpg

According to an exclusive report from online outlet Windows Central, another competitor is joining the handheld gaming PC market with a device of its own: Lenovo. The device in question is apparently called the Lenovo Go and might bear a similar look to the unreleased Lenovo Android handheld pictured above, the Lenovo Legion Play. While specs details are scarce for the Lenovo Go, it will apparently sport an 8-inch display and AMD's Phoenix processors.

As this is an unofficial reports, it should be taken with a grain of salt. But with more options on the market, it might further benefit us consumers.

:arrow:SOURCE

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. I'd rather pick something up from Lenovo over Ayaneo and the likes. It's nothing against those companies, I'm sure their products are good. I'd just prefer a manufacturer with more resources and a better outreach. Better chance of it costing a bit less for the same performance of the heavy hitters.

If I got one, I'd just attempt to throw HoloISO on it. I'd be slightly worried about Lenovo and their reputation of locking down their BIOS on consumer products. but nonetheless, competition is great in this space. I have a decent amount of titles on Steam, Epic, etc, and the ease-of-access to emulation is golden for these x86 handhelds.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You won't buy it anyway. Why cry about it?
I can’t pirate a whole ass computer. Considering the fact that I am in the market for a portable gaming PC, wanting one with a good price and the least amount of effort on my end is a goal. If this has Windows by default, then I need to go through the process of removing Windows for Linux. That’s extra effort on my end and that makes me a sad catboy.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I can’t pirate a whole ass computer. Considering the fact that I am in the market for a portable gaming PC, wanting one with a good price and the least amount of effort on my end is a goal. If this has Windows by default, then I need to go through the process of removing Windows for Linux. That’s extra effort on my end and that makes me a sad catboy.
Isn't windows generally more compatible with a wider game library than Linux. What's the advantage of switching over to Linux?

Reactions: zfreeman

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's more like at worst you get 2 hours, and that's if you don't use the many options that let you optimise it. It's not a device for people that want to run all AAA games on ultra settings or just expect everything to work without tinkering (although the majority of Steam games do just seam to work).
Let’s just saw you’re playing wind waker on cemu how much battery life will you get

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't windows generally more compatible with a wider game library than Linux. What's the advantage of switching over to Linux?
Well, the big one is that Windows is MUCH heavier on system resources on average. Linux also lets you do a lot more with the kernel and UI than Windows will ever let you do. Not to mention that minus AAA titles, most games work perfectly fine (and even those typically work okay, it's usually anticheat that gets in the way) and in my experience, emulation works typically better on Linux than it does Windows.

Also, Windows takes a minimum of 20-40 GB of space for system files, Linux simply does not. and most importantly, I want the freedom to do what I want with my device, and Windows simply has too many restrictions on that front. That's why I think the Steam made the right choice in basing SteamOS on Debian (originally) and Arch (currently, also much better of a choice for updates and granular control over the OS)

Reactions: AlexMCS and tabzer

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Well, the big one is that Windows is MUCH heavier on system resources on average. Linux also lets you do a lot more with the kernel and UI than Windows will ever let you do. Not to mention that minus AAA titles, most games work perfectly fine (and even those typically work okay, it's usually anticheat that gets in the way) and in my experience, emulation works typically better on Linux than it does Windows.

Also, Windows takes a minimum of 20-40 GB of space for system files, Linux simply does not. and most importantly, I want the freedom to do what I want with my device, and Windows simply has too many restrictions on that front. That's why I think the Steam made the right choice in basing SteamOS on Debian (originally) and Arch (currently, also much better of a choice for updates and granular control over the OS))

Thanks for that thorough response! Though I don't personally get into the utility side of windows vs. Linux on a handheld gaming console, the emulation support and system resource management are clear advantages to supporting gameplay. I tried installing Linux on my ps4pro to try to get New Vegas working on it, and I couldn't quite complete that goal. Guess I assumed that it would be a common issue with other games, too.

If this console does decide to use windows, It'd have to be a lite/modified version which seems to be an impractical route.

Reactions: mituzora

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for that thorough response! Though I don't personally get into the utility side of windows vs. Linux on a handheld gaming console, the emulation support and system resource management are clear advantages to supporting gameplay. I tried installing Linux on my ps4pro to try to get New Vegas working on it, and I couldn't quite complete that goal. Guess I assumed that it would be a common issue with other games, too.

If this console does decide to use windows, It'd have to be a lite/modified version which seems to be an impractical route.
There's rumors that microsoft is working on a modified version of Windows optimized for handheld gaming devices, but from what i heard it just sounds like an alternative UI skin on top of a bloated OS

Reactions: mituzora and tabzer

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
There's rumors that microsoft is working on a modified version of Windows optimized for handheld gaming devices, but from what i heard it just sounds like an alternative UI skin on top of a bloated OS
They did develop versions of Windows 10 and 11 for ARM processors, but so far it has been a Qualcomm exclusive and is only (officially) available on their higher end Snapdragon SOCs.

But it's lightweight and optimized for (comparatively) lower powered CPUs, and does pretty well on portable devices.

There are a few Snapdragon laptops running Windows ARM out there, and they advertize a battery life of 16 hours which is mind blowing compared to an x86 laptop.

Reactions: tabzer

UltraHurricane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did develop versions of Windows 10 and 11 for ARM processors, but so far it has been a Qualcomm exclusive and is only (officially) available on their higher end Snapdragon SOCs.

But it's lightweight and optimized for (comparatively) lower powered CPUs, and does pretty well on portable devices.

There are a few Snapdragon laptops running Windows ARM out there, and they advertize a battery life of 16 hours which is mind blowing compared to an x86 laptop.

oh yeah, was mostly referring to x86 handhelds that run windows

the ARM-based ones look neat and it would be nice if there was a translation layer that allowed it to play x86 Steam games but that's WAAAAAY easier said then done

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I was contemplating getting a RoG Ally or an Ayaneo 2S (2TB + 64GB RAM) myself, if I ever get the money by November.

Other than that, I have to sit down and think whether I'll actually use these handheld PCs or not since I barely even leave my home, and the Switch/Mobile phone already fills that niche.

Might as well buy upgrades for the actual PC and a new PS5 SSD, and save $ for the Switch 2 next year.

mituzora

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There was a mockup that leaked or something along those lines that Windows was working on a UI change specific to portable handhelds such as this.

The issue with Windows on ARM is likely going to need a lot of work to compete with x86/x64 hardware. I watched ETA's video you linked, and I'm shocked that some of those games were working as they did. but sysWoW is definitely no Rosetta 2 and will likely need a lot more work to catch up with something like the steam deck even.

As a comparison, I tried L4D2 on my Steam Deck and that thing handled that game like it was nothing, whereas it was struggling with the ARM device ETA was looking at.

Windows on ARM I think will be a good product, but they really need to focus on the translation layer (sysWoW) and make it a whole lot more compatable before Windows on ARM actually takes off. Also that Qualcomm exclusivity needs to die. I wonder how that little device would handle Debian, or another Linux distro, because surprise, those OSes are way ahead when it comes to the ARM space; only issue is that AFAIK, they don't have an ARM->x86 translation layer like Mac and Windows do

Reactions: UltraHurricane

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I was contemplating getting a RoG Ally or an Ayaneo 2S (2TB + 64GB RAM) myself, if I ever get the money by November.

Other than that, I have to sit down and think whether I'll actually use these handheld PCs or not since I barely even leave my home, and the Switch/Mobile phone already fills that niche.

Might as well buy upgrades for the actual PC and a new PS5 SSD, and save $ for the Switch 2 next year.

As much as I like the idea of extra expansion, the PS5 can hold like 6 AAA games and my bandwidth is more than enough to utilize if I plan ahead. It really helps me focus on working on my backlist. Considering how rapidly storage is decreasing in price, investing in something that won't depreciate in value so fast might be more worthwhile. I heard videocards are being bought up by AI, suggesting that there might be an artificial price bloat with that. If you are in the market for a video card upgrade, it might be a more valuable option, if you can still find a good deal.

Last edited by tabzer,

AlexMCS

Human
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
As much as I like the idea of extra expansion, the PS5 can hold like 6 AAA games and my bandwidth is more than enough to utilize if I plan ahead. It really helps me focus on working on my backlist. Considering how rapidly storage is decreasing in price, investing in something that won't depreciate in value so fast might be more worthwhile. I heard videocards are being bought up by AI, suggesting that there might be an artificial price bloat with that. If you are in the market for a video card upgrade, it might be a more valuable option, if you can still find a good deal.

My PS5 is kinda my PS4 as well.
For its own games, 850GB is enough, but not for my PS4 collection.

A good 2TB SSD for the PS5 is merely $120 now.
I just got a GPU for my formerly GPU-less PC (RX 6750XT for my Ryzen 5700G), I'm quite happy with the purchase, even if I still can't quite go 1080p120 on some games on max settings, which was my initial goal, with the final goal being 4k120 on ultra, but it seems no card + CPU combo, other than the very cutting edge, can quite reach it yet.

And it's never worth it - in $ - going for cutting edge tech since it becomes obsolete in 6-12 months.

tabzer

This place is a meme.
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
My PS5 is kinda my PS4 as well.
For its own games, 850GB is enough, but not for my PS4 collection.

A good 2TB SSD for the PS5 is merely $120 now.
I just got a GPU for my formerly GPU-less PC (RX 6750XT for my Ryzen 5700G), I'm quite happy with the purchase, even if I still can't quite go 1080p120 on some games on max settings, which was my initial goal, with the final goal being 4k120 on ultra, but it seems no card + CPU combo, other than the very cutting edge, can quite reach it yet.

And it's never worth it - in $ - going for cutting edge tech since it becomes obsolete in 6-12 months.

With PS4 games, of course you can still use the USB HDD, but it obviously won't give you that SSD boost. At least you can transfer stuff back and forth between the drives. I used to like keeping my entire PS4 collection stored locally, but it's really difficult to decide what is really just junk I'll never play, games that other people like that I won't play, or games I need to complete before I die.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has no one at Lenovo ever heard of the PSP Go? Was that really the most original name they could come up with?

Let’s just saw you’re playing wind waker on cemu how much battery life will you get
I've never personally tried CEMU on the Deck, but I've read people have managed upto 4 hours with BOTW after tinkering, so I assume WW could be similar.

Reactions: Goku1992A

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/CaOkTKfxu44?si=gaexp0MTD_Yi-udH