1. Plasmaster09

Plasmaster09 Social Justice Potato

United States
    "the previous teacher was a cruel and unhelpful asshole that worked the students half to death and gave them no review material or study help whatsoever. he just got fired, and his replacement just gave a quiz of about medium difficulty- and the students did poorly! it must be the new one's fault!"

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  2. Valwinz

Valwinz GBAtemp Regular

Puerto Rico
    something related to the Troop thing from last night
    good on him

3. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    Joe Biden ON 1ST DAY tried to reverse what Trump did in 4 years,

like re-join Paris climate change accord; re-join WTO..... let's see how long he takes.

Last edited by leon315, Jan 22, 2021
  4. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    "Thanks Obama." "Thanks Biden."

Scott_pilgrim and Plasmaster09 like this.
  5. Valwinz

Valwinz GBAtemp Regular

Puerto Rico
    Seen people angry and sad on twitter because they lost their jobs due to Biden Pipeline Ban breaks my heart but amaze me many of them are Biden voters that are now saying they regret their vote.

Man he could have waited a few days but t lie from day one and leave them without jobs? new record

6. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox fox-ott

United States
    Well, Fox News' coverage of the Biden Administration is already desperate. A day and a half in and they're whinging about speech notes and a Peloton. News with substance? Who needs that? We've got Biden's Peloton!

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox, Jan 22, 2021
    Scott_pilgrim and Plasmaster09 like this.
  7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Cubi™ Devilishly good looking

Antarctica
    It takes a special level of delusion to trust that without a government regulation making corporations pay their employees, that corporations will still keep paying their employees. History already shows that when there isn't regulations corporations will very willingly move to paying their employees with tokens.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    This part of the discussion is pretty much over at this stage, but you're responding to a post that directly mentions not one, not two, but six developed countries (all of which are apparently paradise worthy of emulating, at least according to the American left) with no minimum wage regulation by the government, so apparently "always" in all actuality means "sometimes, if at all". The use of scrip, IOU's and tokens isn't uncommon around the world, but it's usually reserved for times of extreme recession when legal tender is limited. These alternative methods of payment have nothing to do with minimum wage, frankly. Your level of remuneration is detailed in your contract, the company can't just forget about it - it signed it just like you have.

9. Lilith Valentine

Antarctica
    You are missing my point, without regulation then there’s nothing stopping a company from paying their employees in just tokens and nothing else. Companies can and do change the nature of contracts and do require signing them in order to continue employment. Companies like Walmart have zero hesitation removing employee benefits and finding ways to pay their employees less when government removes things like holiday pay. Why should we trust companies to actually pay their employees? Or is just, government bad no matter what?

10. Cryoraptor

Cryoraptor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    And that's relevant how?

11. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Government is like family - it looks best on a family photo. I love it so much that I'm keen to see it once a year, around Christmas time. In fact, my love for it increases with my distance away from it. :lol: I get your point, I simply disagree with your assessment that government intervention is required here - I fully trust employees, individually or unionised, to represent their interests sufficiently. We know this to be true because only a small fraction of employees in the US make minimum wage or below - around 2%. All of this has been discussed already and doesn't belong in this thread - Biden's administration is more interested in raising the minimum wage nationally, so we'll see what the result will be. I have my suspicions, but I'll keep them to myself so as to not stoke the fire further.

gamefan5 likes this.
  12. Lilith Valentine

Antarctica
    I am just gonna agree to disagree and end my input here. I wanted to make my point and I think we will be going in circles if we continue.

Scott_pilgrim and Foxi4 like this.
  13. monkeyman4412

monkeyman4412 Gbatemp's ™ master

United States
    regarding minimum wage

Scott_pilgrim and IncredulousP like this.
  14. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    These are all the same arguments we always hear. "The government spends a lot on the military" - yeah, I don't like that either, even though I recognise the importance of that kind of spending. Spend less and lower the deficit, or better yet, lower taxes. "Big Mac's abroad are only 20c more expensive, that's not much!" - again, left-wingers being poor with numbers. That's a 10% increase in price of goods, and we're talking about one specific product in one specific company. If the price of bread went up by 10%, restaurants, caterers etc. would have a *big problem* on their hands because their baked goods expenses just went up by 10%, and that necessarily means cutting their expenses elsewhere or an increase of prices for customers. Now imagine if it was steel, or some other key resource used in more expensive goods, and that 20c can scale up right quick. It's all the same regurgitated pulp that's always pulled out of the hat whenever the subject rears its head. The system of sudden increases of minimum wage is stupid, it shocks the economy every single time. *If* I'm supposed to accept minimum wage as something that's not set arbitrarily using a random number that looks good on a slogan, it has to be pegged to something so that it's constantly mobile without the need of additional legislation. Want a systemic solution? Make one. Propose a sensible system and stop touching it. Peg it to the GDP, peg it to exchange rates, peg it to relative living costs, but don't just write a cute slogan that demands the entire economy raises the minimum wage by nearly 100% overnight. It should be dynamic, or revisited annualy, or a staggered roll-out to allow for adjustment over time. There's *zero* economic sense in doing this the way the U.S. does.

Last edited by Foxi4, Jan 22, 2021
  15. monkeyman4412

United States
    You didn't watch the video all the way through.
    How sad.
    Since a couple of your points where addressed in the video.
    First off, it was already found that there was no significant impact at all on pricing.
    Second most countries do raise it dynamically.
    In the video he said if we wanted to prevent a possible economic shock, minimum wage should be considered every year like every other country.
    Something you would of known if you watched the video.
    Perhaps you need to hear this part

go to 6:45

16. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    what did i miss? how did Biden make them lose jobs?

17. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    I watched the video, it's why I mentioned it in the first place, along with other solutions. That is *not* what's being proposed by the $15 movement, nor how it's actually arranged in the U.S., which is the problem. One of the many reasons why the current, real-life implementation of minimum wage increases is dumb.
    By rescinding development permissions for Keystone XL which would've further increased American energy security and provided a bunch of jobs in the energy sector and the construction sector.

gamefan5 likes this.
  18. monkeyman4412

United States
    So... Keeping it at $7.25 is better? Just because you don't have that one thing?
    Arguably speaking that's exceptionally retarded.
    You keep complaining about taxes. raising minimum wage would reduce the federal financial burden. Since so many have to apply for economic help such as SNAP and other assistant programs, BECAUSE minimum wage is so low.

Last edited by monkeyman4412, Jan 22, 2021
  19. Foxi4

Foxi4 Cynical Absurdist
    Global Moderator

Poland
    Unarguably speaking, if I were asked to increase the wage of workers in a company I was running by 100% overnight *without* increasing prices, I'd either have to cut their hours or sack some of them because I have a set budget for wages. I raise your study to the study by the Congressional Budget Office:

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/55410

This study assumes a staggered roll-out until 2025 in six steps. The rise to $15 has predictable effects:
    To translate from Congress-speak to English, overall poverty levels would've lowered at the cost of making millions of workers jobless - you double some incomes and reduce other incomes to zero. I could've told you that without reading it, it's obvious. You're reducing the number of kinda-poor people by increasing the number of extremely poor people - d'uh.

Should the roll-out be instant, the effect would've been more pronounced, as I previously mentioned.

Last edited by Foxi4, Jan 22, 2021
    gamefan5 likes this.
  20. Cryoraptor

Cryoraptor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    It's kind of common sense, isn't it? If you raise the minimum wage, job competition increases, so the people who have jobs are gonna be better off, but it doesn't make much difference if you're making more people homeless in the process, does it? I'm all for making everyone a little bit richer, but increasing job competition during COVID is the absolute last thing anyone needs.

Foxi4 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - officially, President, America