1. Plasmaster09

Plasmaster09 Social Justice Potato

United States
    he hasn't (though he did do other environmental stuff like stopping the Keystone XL project), and his position on outright banning it has been a bit fuzzy (iirc he wants to transition away from it but not just flat-ban it instantly)
    but all the trumptrolls are just exaggerating this tenfold as well as just lying about what he's said, saying and is doing in order to spout nonsense and make him look like a liar

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Unsurprisingly, Biden merely denied permits for new fracking on federal land, like he always said he would, and a conservative site exaggerated and lied about it. Personally, I wish Biden had banned fracking.

3. Plasmaster09

United States
    that site and its echoers can go frack themselves
    *rimshot*

Xzi, Scott_pilgrim and Lacius like this.
  4. Valwinz

Valwinz GBAtemp Regular

Puerto Rico
    Articles of Impeachment have been filed against President Biden
    Not a good day for BIden

5. Plasmaster09

United States
    good thing said articles are completely devoid of legitimate reasoning (they boil down to "he abused his power when he was VICE president, and by abused his power I mean he literally just let his son have a job in a different country entirely that had nothing to do with his position as VP") and nobody with more than two brain cells is going to approve of it right after Trump fucked over basically everyone in both parties

Scott_pilgrim likes this.
  6. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    God exists because the bible says so? Fantastic.

If I look out into the world I see plenty making it, economics saying "good people are hard to find, if you are stupid enough to dismiss them because they like to fumble matching genitals/[insert rest of list] then you deserve to have your competitors overtake you", and the general moral sense of it (a difference from some decades ago), few able to enact schemes based on what an old book says when it wanted more followers and the best way to get those is to breed them, and so forth.

There are plenty that have head starts in life. Stable families, nice communities, familial wealth, choice geography, luck of genetics, born in a time when technology changes some stuff... all good stuff on that front. Doesn't seem denied to minorities though. Frequently hard to obtain for the impoverished. Might be that some minorities are disproportionately (to simple population totals anyway, which is a rather simplistic metric) troubled in one or more of those, however attributing the reasoning for that to modern bigotries of the government and the world at large that is self interested in not allowing them to get places is a rather harder ask. Magically curing bigotry tomorrow (again I would put that at remarkably low levels as a general concept but can go with imagining it being ridiculously high for this) would not see things fixed in short order after that, curing poverty on the other hand would see far greater results in a far shorter period of time (and taking out magic for far less effort).

As far as something to be ashamed or or treated as some kind of original sin equivalent. Yeah not onboard with that.

Equally were I to assume [insert combination of non minority traits] wandering in front of me had it easy because of said traits then I have knocked about in too many places dealing with picking up the pieces when the giant arsehole of fate decides to shit upon them from on high to assume they are somehow immune, or at least is so vanishingly rare as to be a true minority in and of itself.

To go one further and be told I have to ensure minorities are picked over others, which is something I have seen out in the world (and done from on high)... now that seems like real bigotry to me. Fortunately most people still seem stuck on judging those on content of character and the "if you are stupid enough to dismiss the rare and hard to come by good person" thing from earlier.

tabzer likes this.
  7. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    First: Start to post sources, or stop posting.

Second:
    Third: This is all a fight to win over the allegiance of the superdumbnuts - that can say Trump, because thats the sound they always make when, ... So basically 'act like you very much with the people that believed in what the idiot was saying - gain their voter base', coast through your next election.

If you are an Evertrumper and havent understood, that nothing you 'learned' or 'held true' in the past three years will even be a thing from now on - it was over, a week from electionday, when republicans decided to humor the president for his voting base - which then didnt deliver Georgia to them, so after that Trump was of no use to anyone.

So this time - that impeachment attempt will be picked up NEITHER by dems, or by reps.

And as I tried to tell the very young people in this forum from the start - much of the impeachment proceedings are about PR anyhow - the moment you consider, that members of congress get 'whipped' (political term) - to rally their votes behind the parties perspective. And as impeachment needs a 2/3 majority, this means - never gonna happen unless nearly both parties want it to.

So in a sense - even that you learned the word impeachment is useless - for a while. Because you just learned it as 'if you say it - the other person has done a bubu', and that means - you probably shouldnt try to tell other people hof to feel about stuff.

Last edited by notimp, Jan 22, 2021
    Cryoraptor, Xzi and Scott_pilgrim like this.
  8. Plasmaster09

United States
    what the
    dude
    you have no idea what you're talking about
    first off, this has absolutely jack shit to do with religion and you're equating two entirely unrelated topics as an excuse to use bullshit to fight non-bullshit
    second off, the problem with discrimination is that people are discriminatory towards each other and often make things worse in ways that anti-discrimination laws could mitigate or in some way help to prevent
    third off, we're not telling you to pick minorities over others- that's a really shitty strawman I see a lot, and it's easy to dismiss with a simple analogy
    a kid and his family just finished dinner, and the dad gives everyone a slice of pie except said kid
    he goes, "I want a slice (like everyone else). Can't I have one too?"
    the dad, instead of doing the reasonable thing and giving the kid a fucking slice, goes "We all want a slice.", ignoring the fact that everyone else has one already and that the kid was NOT saying "I want the ONLY slice" or "I want the entire pie"
    there, now please actually check your damn privilege

Last edited by Plasmaster09, Jan 22, 2021
  9. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Japan
    You don't understand what he's talking about. The opening line he made about God shows the same kind of ignorance of the quote he was replying to. Some people follow their party line and its narratives so religiously. "Privilege" is being used in a dumb way and reduces the human individual. Being able to "wah wah" on the internet is a privilege, now pay up.

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Checked it. It is an imaginary concept, even by the standards of philosophical concepts, that does not exist so no concern for me.

As for the bible thing.
    As far as I see it "you have to have privilege to have the privilege of not seeing privilege" is exactly analogous to when someone tells me God must be real because the bible says so. I do find certain religious zeal and propensities in logic choice in those that tell me of the gospel of diversity and how the minorities made it to the promised land of this place, only to find it is a lie and we need to fix it but that is mostly just amusing to me.

Discrimination does exist, would appear to even have some biological roots in some cases. Don't see it existing at the level of movers and shakers in society, the structures by which society functions (which usually serve to limit the ambitions of the former) nor at such a level in the general populace that it is anything more than a terrifically mild annoyance, even to those that would theoretically be most aggrieved by it. Did exist many many years ago, though still within living memory for a few more decades at least, but today it is more "aw that is quaint".

Pick minorities over pure merit? That was an addendum to an earlier thing really but will go it anyway.
    So there is not a law in California (where there are some nice companies) saying must pick because genitals
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-board-women-idUSKCN1MB172
    or minorities in general
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/09/30/success/board-diversity-california-law/index.html
    Not a hiring and firing factor seen in any number of things, leaked and overt. Also in higher education (and the nice inverse when oriental types were being held to a higher standard, surprisingly that was not in the deep south either).
    I did not witness a nice high level politico when they were attempting to take that facebook dickhead to task (all doing spectacularly poorly at that, another reason why would advocate dismissing politicos as largely harmless buffoons) to "commit to having black members on your board" and them then kowtowing to it https://gizmodo.com/as-punishment-facebook-commits-to-hiring-one-1-black-1819420237
    Mostly seems like shooting yourself in the foot, and again if you dismiss someone of skill because of pointless reasons then don't be surprised when a competitor picks them up and runs with them, but I will note it as a thing that is out there and standing in stark contrast to sticking purely with merit and content of character.

tabzer likes this.
  11. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Official Cubi™ Devilishly good looking

Antarctica
    Got any quotes or anything to this? What are you on about?

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jan 22, 2021
    Scott_pilgrim and Lacius like this.
  12. Valwinz

Valwinz GBAtemp Regular

Puerto Rico
    Biden America amazing start those midterms are going to be amazing

13. tomasowa

tomasowa GBAtemp Regular

United States
    ... I'm growing in confidence that this Thread will make it to Thanksgiving 2021.

Plasmaster09 likes this.
  14. notimp

notimp Well-Known Member

Laos
    As the second twitter comment you swiped this from, without giving the source stated:

Biden has nothing to do with it.

Also - why had those soldiers be there in the first place?

More inciteful, hateful non sequitors, aimed at riling up the stupid:
    https://trendingpolitics.com/biden-...m=rss&utm_campaign=biden-admin-betrays-troops

(If in the middle of an article you suddenly turn left and go with - do you remember, thatn Biden called the troups stupid bastards? Then end the article.)

If you read crap like that - then you become crap like that.
    -

Overarching issue is, that washington isnt exactly build like a tourist resort. So the space close to the capitol is bought up by lobbying firms, to have faster access, so there likely are no hotels or youth hostels you could host the military at in close proximity.

Also - "we couldnt even charge our cellphones" - is a hard complaint to make, when you are on deployment. ("There was only one electrical outlet between the trees, ...")

That said, someone probably could have organized that part better.

Last edited by notimp, Jan 22, 2021
    Plasmaster09 likes this.
  15. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    It's not circular to acknowledge that it requires privilege to dismiss the notion of privilege. That's embarrassingly absurd.

Last edited by Lacius, Jan 22, 2021
  16. Plasmaster09

United States
    yeah this is less circular religious bullshit and more "you never know how good you had it until you stop having it that good"

17. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I was going less circular and more unsubstantiated claim backed by self interest on self made claims.

More generally I have seen fate shit on people from a high height, and seen it grant boons to what you might consider the lowliest of people. If [insert list of "desirable" traits] is a shield it is as a layer of tissue paper is to a speeding bullet. Going further then to assume [insert list of "desirable" traits] has led an easy life because [insert list of "desirable" traits] is what is actually embarrassingly absurd, functionally akin to assuming someone of [insert "non dominant" skin tone] is of poor character with no other information.

Are there those that have never known hardship, or been in very real, never mind persistent, danger of failing to achieve even the bottom rungs of maslow's heirachy, and likely never will? The comprehension of those to turn imagine the plight of those with troubled bottom rungs being almost as an ant contemplating quantum computing?
    But of course. Some of them even want to tell me about privilege.
    To tie such a scenario exclusively to [insert list of "desirable" traits], as a trait enjoyed by the overwhelming majority of said class or as forever (or maybe just statistically improbably) beyond the grasp of those with at least a few points in minority traits enough to have an oppression rating... once more we find ourselves in the realm of the absurd, at least as far as the US is concerned.

18. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

United States
    You seem to be suggesting that the concept of privilege is that a person with privilege has an easy life. That's not what privilege is, and nobody is suggesting that people with privilege don't work hard or have hardships. You should probably learn what privilege is before you talk about what is or isn't absurd.

In other words, it takes a certain kind of privilege to discuss something with authority without first understanding what that thing is.

19. wartutor

wartutor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Am I the only fucking one that read the 2 pages before my post when everyone was talking about taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor hear good fucking god

Then just keep reading

20. KingVamp

KingVamp Haaah-hahahaha!

United States
    Everyone must work for their needs (don't mind the people that don't have to) and as long as we keep the immigrants out, will will have enough jobs for everyone!

Not sure how people going deal with automation when it hits full force in the future.

As much as this should have happen sooner, making sure there is enough jobs (especially green jobs) to replace them is fair.

Last edited by KingVamp, Jan 22, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - officially, President, America