• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

The Big President Joe Biden Fail Compilation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Everything you just posted is in direction connection with service in a militia. As I previously stated in my original post, it was not until District of Columbia v. Heller that the Supreme Court ruled, for the first time, that individuals had a right to keep and bear arms unconnected with service in a militia.
False. It specifically states that the right to bear arms undoubtedly refers to individuals, regardless of whether or not they're currently a part of militia. It is their right inherently, by the virtue of being citizens of the United States, and neither the state nor the federal government can infringe upon it as in doing so they would deprive the United States of a valuable resource - armed men that can be called upon to protect their state or country. It is written in black and white. If you have a different interpretation, please post a correction on Wikipedia instead of arguing with me (it will be rejected, mind - you're wrong, as evidenced multiple times earlier).
"Arms" meant something wholly different than what it means today. Does the Second Amendment only pertain to old timey muskets, for example?
Oh, I don't know - you tell me. Considering the fact that Lewis and Clarke adventured across North America armed with a fully automatic Girardoni air rifle equipped with a high capacity gravity-fed magazine and a muzzle velocity that rivaled black powder muskets at the time, allowing them to fairly easily dispatch an armed group of men with puny muzzle loaders, I presume the founders had some inclination on how technology was going to progress in the future. Private citizens, particularly merchants and militia members, were also permitted to own high caliber cannons, as well as gatling guns and explosives. The puckle gun for instance dates all the way back to 1718 and was equipped with an 11-round cylinder, compared to... well, no cylinder in a muzzle loaded musket - that's 11 times more better. Who knows though, who knows - maybe they had some restrictions in mind, despite the fact that everyday citizens were already permitted to be armed better than the military was at the time, provided they could afford it.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
False. It specifically states that the right to bear arms undoubtedly refers to individuals, regardless of whether or not they're currently a part of militia.\
You're dishonestly leaving out the part where the Supreme Court says it's because they can be considered reserve members of the state militia.

Oh, I don't know - you tell me. Considering the fact that Lewis and Clarke adventured across North America armed with a fully automatic Girardoni air rifle equipped with a high capacity gravity-fed magazine and a muzzle velocity that rivaled black powder muskets at the time, allowing them to fairly easily dispatch an armed group of men with puny muzzle loaders, I presume the founders had some inclination on how technology was going to progress in the future. Private citizens, particularly merchants and militia members, were also permitted to own high caliber cannons, as well as gatling guns and explosives. The puckle gun for instance dates all the way back to 1718 and was equipped with an 11-round cylinder, compared to... well, no cilinder in a muzzle loaded musket - that's 11 times more better. Who knows though, who knows - maybe they had some restrictions in mind, despite the fact that everyday citizens were already permitted to be armed better than the military was at the time, provided they could afford it.
Are you saying modern Americans only have a constitutional right to air rifles and other guns around during the late 18th century? That would at least be consistent with your views against "bizarre abominations of law."

Reactions: ZeusX

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're dishonestly leaving out the part where the Supreme Court says it's because they can be considered reserve members of the state militia.
How am I leaving it out? I directly quoted it. In the time of need I would expect any armed and capable American to defend their home and country, particularly in the event of an invasion. This doesn't affect the fact that the right to bear arms undoubtedly refers to individuals and that the Supreme Court stated as much long before 2008.
Are you saying modern Americans only have a constitutional right to air rifles and other guns around during the late 18th century? That would at least be consistent with your views against "bizarre abominations of law."
I state that the American citizenry should have the right to bear the same arms as the U.S. military if that is their fancy, which is congruent with the SC's ruling that any armed individual can be called upon to defend home and country. That was the status quo then, and it should be the status quo now. I find things like the Assault Weapons Ban as inherently unconstitutional governmental overreach that should've never been allowed to happen, and it is criminal that it *wasn't* immediately overturned. It was also ineffective according to multiple studies. I share similar feelings in regards to fully automatic weapons and see no reason why responsible citizens should be prohibited from owning them. I do however make the "responsible citizens" concession since I am not blind to the realities of this world. Not everyone is *capable* of being responsible with a firearm, in the same way as not everybody is able to be a responsible driver. Mental illness and other afflictions affect one's ability to bear arms responsibly, so I'm not opposed to a degree of gun control, including background checks and training requirements, in regards to testing the ability of a firearms license applicant or their criminal history. I believe the founders thought the same, as they often refer to "able" men, and not everyone is "able".

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How am I leaving it out? I directly quoted it. In the time of need I would expect any armed and capable American to defend their home and country, particularly in the event of an invasion. This doesn't affect the fact that the right to bear arms undoubtedly refers to individuals and that the Supreme Court stated as much long before 2008.
Once again, the Supreme Court did not rule until 2008 that individuals had a right to gun ownership separate and apart from concerns about militia rights.

I state that the American citizenry should have the right to bear the same arms as the U.S. military if that is their fancy, which is congruent with the SC's ruling that any armed individual can be called upon to defend home and country. That was the status quo then, and it should be the status quo now. I find things like the Assault Weapons Ban as inherently unconstitutional governmental overreach that should've never been allowed to happen, and it is criminal that it *wasn't* immediately overturned. It was also ineffective according to multiple studies. I share similar feelings in regards to fully automatic weapons and see no reason why responsible citizens should be prohibited from owning them. I do however make the "responsible citizens" concession since I am not blind to the realities of this world. Not everyone is *capable* of being responsible with a firearm, in the same way as not everybody is able to be a responsible driver. Mental illness and other afflictions affect one's ability to bear arms responsibly, so I'm not opposed to a degree of gun control, including background checks and training requirements, in regards to testing the ability of a firearms license applicant or their criminal history. I believe the founders thought the same, as they often refer to "able" men, and not everyone is "able".
You're sidestepping the point I was making. Do you think American citizens should have the right to bear the same arms as the U.S. military today, or do you think American citizens should have the right to bear the same arms the U.S. military had in the 18th century? For an originalist to be consistent, it would have to be the latter.

Reactions: ZeusX

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Once again, the Supreme Court did not rule until 2008 that individuals had a right to gun ownership separate and apart from concerns about militia rights.
False. They have that right de facto, and the ability to form various kinds of groups of armed men is its consequence, not the other way around. That was the ruling, as quoted.
You're sidestepping the point I was making. Do you think American citizens should have the right to bear the same arms as the U.S. military today, or do you think American citizens should have the right to bear the same arms the U.S. military had in the 18th century? For an originalist to be consistent, it would have to be the latter.
False. An originalist can see that citizens at the time were allowed to be armed to the same or even superior extent as the military was. That is the framing the founders operated in, so the right to bear arms must necessarily mean the right to bear *the same arms* as we (the government) bear. That was the original intent, and that is the originalist interpretation. If you find that interpretation to be inconsistent, you must think that Freedom of Speech doesn't apply to the Internet, or the Radio, or any other form of communicating a message that the founders were not familiar with. That's asinine - it is an inherent right that applies to all forms of communication.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
False. They have that right de facto, and the ability to form various kinds of groups of armed men is its consequence, not the other way around. That was the ruling, as quoted.
Can you quote the part of the ruling that said individuals had a right to gun ownership that was unrelated to militia rights? You can't. You're misunderstanding or misreading the Supreme Court ruling.

It is undoubtedly true that all citizens capable of bearing arms constitute the reserved military force or reserve militia of the United States as well as of the states, and, in view of this prerogative of the general government, as well as of its general powers, the states cannot, even laying the constitutional provision in question out of view, prohibit the people from keeping and bearing arms, so as to deprive the United States of their rightful resource for maintaining the public security, and disable the people from performing their duty to the general government.

False. An originalist can see that citizens at the time were allowed to be armed to the same or even superior extent as the military was. That is the framing the founders operated in, so the right to bear arms must necessarily mean the right to bear *the same arms* as we (the government) bear. That was the original intent, and that is the originalist interpretation.
If their intent was for citizens to be allowed to be armed to the same extent as the military at that time, then an originalist would say that the right to bear arms only includes the arms available to the military at the time it was written.

If you find that interpretation to be inconsistent, you must think that Freedom of Speech doesn't apply to the Internet, or the Radio, or any other form of communicating a message that the founders were not familiar with. That's asinine - it is an inherent right that applies to all forms of communication.
Oh, this will be fun. Yeah, an originalist should say Freedom of Speech doesn't apply to the internet, the radio, or any other forms of communicating that weren't around during the 18th century, and that's asinine. Sucks for you and the other originalists.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Can you quote the part of the ruling that said individuals had a right to gun ownership that was unrelated to militia rights? You can't. You're misunderstanding or misreading the Supreme Court ruling.

If their intent was for citizens to be allowed to be armed to the same extent as the military at that time, then an originalist would say that the right to bear arms only includes the arms available to the military at the time it was written.

Oh, this will be fun. Yeah, an originalist should say Freedom of Speech doesn't apply to the internet, the radio, or any other forms of communicating that weren't around during the 18th century, and that's asinine. Sucks for you and the other originalists.
I see the problem. You don't understand what originalism means. That's fine, it explains a lot. We can end here, this conversation is destined to be fruitless, we're on different wavelengths.

Reactions: jimbo13

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see the problem. You don't understand what originalism means. That's fine, it explains a lot. We can end here, this conversation is destined to be fruitless, we're on different wavelengths.
>Tells me I don't understand what originalism means.
>Ends conversation before defining what originalism actually means.

If that isn't evidence that your participation in this conversation isn't in good faith, I don't know what is.

As for originalism, it means the following (per Google):

a type of judicial interpretation of a constitution (especially the US Constitution) that aims to follow how it would have been understood or was intended to be understood at the time it was written.

I'm not sure how in any way, shape, or form it could be suggested that I don't know what originalism means. Each time I used it was in a way that comports with the above definition.

*Snip*

Last edited by Foxi4, , Reason: Removed quote and reply to flaming

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
>Tells me I don't understand what originalism means.
>Ends conversation before defining what originalism actually means.

If that isn't evidence that your participation in this conversation isn't in good faith, I don't know what is.

As for originalism, it means the following (per Google):

a type of judicial interpretation of a constitution (especially the US Constitution) that aims to follow how it would have been understood or was intended to be understood at the time it was written.

I'm not sure how in any way, shape, or form it could be suggested that I don't know what originalism means. Each time I used it was in a way that comports with the above definition.
This definition is correct. You, on the other hand, are wrong. The founders were perfectly aware of rapid technological progress, in some cases they were even an integral part of it. As such, it is perfectly fair to assume that if they wished to clarify what arms were permitted and what were not, they would qualify said right, as they did with the right to assemble using the word "peaceably". You have the right to assemble, but only if it is a peaceful assembly - a qualifier. The right to bear arms, as it would've been understood at the time, was the right to bear any arms available on the market at any given time, not specific arms available at the time of writing. The constitution wasn't written to be valid for a year or two, it was written to be valid forever. Similarly, if the right to free speech only applied to me talking to you in private, it would've been qualified as such. It is not, therefore it applies to all modes of communication that confer speech. The right to bear arms was *intended* to work perfectly fine in the future and, by extension, encompasses any future weapons that may be developed. Had that not been the case, it would've been more specific in terms of applicability. Freedom of speech applies to the telephone, the right to bear arms applies to modern arms.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This definition is correct. You, on the other hand, are wrong. The founders were perfectly aware of rapid technological progress, is some cases they were even an integral part of it. As such, it is perfectly fair to assume that if they wished to clarify what arms were permitted and what were not, they would qualify said right, as they did with the right to assemble using the word "peaceably". You have the right to assemble, but only if it is a peaceful assembly - a qualifier. The right to bear arms, as it would've been understood at the time, was the right to bear any arms available on the market at any given time, not specific arms available at the time of writing. The constitution wasn't written to be valid for a year or two, it was written to be valid forever. Similarly, if the right to free speech only applied to me talking to you in private, it would've been qualified as such. It is not, therefore it applies to all modes of communication that confer speech. The right to bear arms was *intended* to work perfectly fine in the future and, by extension, encompasses any future weapons that may be developed. Had that not been the case, it would've been more specific in terms of applicability. Freedom of speech applies to the telephone, the right to bear arms applies to modern arms.
I'd agree with you on most these points. They're just not very originalist. I assume with these sorts of "living document" sentiments of yours that you agree with the Supreme Court decisions on abortion, same-sex marriage, and sex discrimination as it relates to LGBT discrimination. :)

While I'm being serious, I'm also being silly. We don't have to go down those roads. They're a lot.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'd agree with you on most these points. They're just not very originalist. I assume with these sorts of "living document" sentiments of yours that you agree with the Supreme Court decisions on abortion, same-sex marriage, and sex discrimination as it relates to LGBT discrimination. :)

While I'm being serious, I'm also being silly. We don't have to go down those roads. They're a lot.
I disagree with the notion that my statement confers any kinship towards the living document doctrine. The meaning of the document has not changed - "citizens have a right to bear arms" and "it shall not be infringed". They have this right for various purposes, the listed one being "for the purpose of forming militias and guaranteeing the safety and security of the state", which they are allowed to (not required to) do under "well-regulated" conditions set by the state of origin. From this purpose we can infer that the arms in question are ones that would put the population on equal footing with an opposing force, at any given time. That interpretation would definitely include military-grade firearms, since that is what the military is armed with. It is perfectly consistent - the document hasn't changed, and neither did its provisions. The times have changed, and with time so did technology. That's besides the point though, since not all "living document" arguments are silly, just a select few egregious ones that have nothing to do with 2A. To reiterate, the right to Free Speech applies to the Internet in the same way as the right to bear arms applies to machine guns, in my honest opinion. If only we should be so lucky, they look like a lot of fun to use at the range.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
After a thorough discussion we've come to the conclusion that this thread should indeed be locked. While we as a team don't have a problem with threads that criticise Joe Biden, just as we didn't have any problem with threads criticising Donald Trump, we do not condone or endorse any threads aimed at making fun of implied physical or mental disability, especially when these claims are not evidenced. Unless a reliable source proves Joe Biden is unfit for his position and provides medical records to back that up, it's not a thread worth having.

Additionally, we don't have an issue with threads compiling, or collecting developments within the scope of a singular issue. For instance, if a thread is about a military conflict, like the recent one in the Gaza strip, we don't see a need for separate threads about each and every development. With that being said, there has to be a common thread that connects such posts - collecting "funny things person X said" that are, for the most part, unrelated is more of an EOF-style thread than an informative one. With that in mind, threads need to also be descriptive and truthfully labelled.

@Valwinz, if this thread was named something along the lines of "Joe Biden criticises the Second Amendment" and the video was followed by a source link and on-topic criticism of the position, it would be permissible. In its current stage it's only flamebait, and with the amount of effort required to edit it to an acceptable standard, irredeemable.

You are more than welcome to criticise Joe Biden and whatever he says, however in doing so you have to follow the specific rules of the section.

Thread locked.

Reactions: AmandaRose
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: besides I had bigger worries today