Ken's Labyrinth enhanced port for Nintendo Switch

icon.png

screen.png

Announcing my port of Ken's Labyrinth for Nintendo Switch
The classic MS-DOS shooter by Ken Silverman finally running native on a portable platform! This is based off the enhanced SDL port for Windows and Linux with enhanced textures and 60fps rendering.
Includes the complete game and uses Adlib emulation for the music. If there are any bugs or feedback then please let me know. The game is also in the Homebrew AppStore.

Known bugs:

• Highscore and game saves can't get a keyboard input for name entry so they default to the name Ken or use the Switch account name if you are signed in. If there's an available on-screen keyboard for this part then let me know!
  • Stereoscopic 3D only works in docked mode. Handheld mode causes it to render the game in a small window on the bottom left of the screen.

Change log:
4.1.1: 2019-07-21
* Instacrash on the Nintendo Switch fixed

4.1.0: 2019-07-14
* Port for macOS created

4.0.1: 2019-07-13
* Add CMake build system
* Limit sound channels to 2 to avoid super fast sound and music

4.0.0: 2019-06-16
* Brand new game launcher menu allowing you to launch any version of the game
* Ken's Labyrinth 1.0/1.1 graphical bug fixes
* Stereoscopic 3D added as an option in setup menu

3.2.2: 2019-04-02
* USB keyboard and mouse support for Nintendo Switch

3.2.1: 2019-03-03
* Anisotropic filtering now supported on Switch

3.2.0: 2019-12-18
* New audio device selectable in the setup menu: Adlib random instruments. This will play
the music tracks with randomly selected instruments. If you don't like the instrument settings
you can select it again and it will load a different random set.
* Changing audio settings now no longer requires you to quit the game. All changes are immediate
* Switch - Now dynamically switches to 1080p from 720p when connecting to the dock and vice versa.
The setup menu will also reflect the current mode.

3.1.2: 2019-02-08
* Upgraded the Adlib emulator to Ken's 64 bit compatible one resolving all music issues
such as silent or distorted instruments on some platforms

3.1.1: 2019-01-27
NOTE: If updating from 3.0.0 you will need to delete Ken2.nro because the new
executable has a different name.

* Switch - Renamed executable so that it appears properly in the homebrew menu in SX OS
* Switch - Swapped select and cancel buttons for menus
* Switch - Use Switch account name if user is signed in, "Ken" otherwise
* Switch - Improved use of depth buffer
* Switch - Quitting game from main menu now quits gracefully

Download here: https://github.com/sacredbanana/lab3d-sdl/releases

Last edited by Nightfox_,

Nightfox_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
What's that? A dachshund? What the ...
Thx for the port. :D

Haha that's Sparky the dog.

Here's what Ken has to say about Sparky on his official website:

sparky.jpg

A long time ago (March 1993), Mark Rein of Epic Megagames visited my house to help finish up the Epic version of Ken's Labyrinth. He was looking around my house for inspiration and this wooden dog caught his eye. It became "Sparky" in episode 2 of Ken's Labyrinth.

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Haha that's Sparky the dog.

Here's what Ken has to say about Sparky on his official website:

sparky.jpg

A long time ago (March 1993), Mark Rein of Epic Megagames visited my house to help finish up the Epic version of Ken's Labyrinth. He was looking around my house for inspiration and this wooden dog caught his eye. It became "Sparky" in episode 2 of Ken's Labyrinth.
lol
nice story

Nightfox_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
New update! 3.2.0. Now you can listen to all the tracks in new and exciting ways! Check main post for all the juicy deets.

Nightfox_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
New update again! 3.2.1 Adds support for anisotropic texture filtering. Previously, selecting this option would silently use trilinear filtering instead. Anisotropic filtering greatly improves the sharpness of textures when viewing them from an angle. Texture filtering options can be configured in the main menu. You need to quit the game and open it again for the changes to be applied.

Prankst3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I installed this through the app store and the game just crashes when launched.
I use AMS 0.8.7 and FW 6.2.
Is there anything that could help?

Nightfox_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia

Prankst3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm using the newest release now and I'm getting a black screen for like 10 secondes and then an atmos error.
But I'll install the other releases too and test it out!

Reactions: Nightfox_

Nightfox_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Awesome! That game gave me nightmares as a kid x3

Same here. Actually the first time I played it as a kid and opened the first door, I got the fright of my life when those 2 blue floating head demons appeared and I got so scared I immediately pushed the power button of the computer.

Prankst3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Same here. Actually the first time I played it as a kid and opened the first door, I got the fright of my life when those 2 blue floating head demons appeared and I got so scared I immediately pushed the power button of the computer.
Doom was worse for me :P
And for testing, I have time at the weekend. Are there any logs I could send you?

Nightfox_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Doom was worse for me :P
And for testing, I have time at the weekend. Are there any logs I could send you?

Saved logs no but you can view live logs on your computer as the game is running on the switch by using the nxlink program inside devkitpro but you don't have to do that if it's too much effort

Prankst3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I had time to test it again. The 3.2.1 version now starts and gameplay is working fine. Only problem is, that I can't change the weapon.

Nightfox_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I had time to test it again. The 3.2.1 version now starts and gameplay is working fine. Only problem is, that I can't change the weapon.

Weapon selection is through the Y button :)
Bear in mind you have to find or buy the weapon from the vending machine before you can use it

Prankst3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Weapon selection is through the Y button :)
Bear in mind you have to find or buy the weapon from the vending machine before you can use it
I found the towel but couldn't change it, I pressed every fucking button, even tried some combos. But it didn't work oO

Nightfox_

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I found the towel but couldn't change it, I pressed every fucking button, even tried some combos. But it didn't work oO

There is no towel weapon. I don't know what you are referring to. There are 3 weapons in the game. Jelly bomb, sunburst and missile.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...