HWFLY chips will brick your OLED. Here is how to avoid it

First things first, I should start by saying that if you have an OLED-specific clone chip you're fine.

Anyways, all HWFLY Lite chips come with Spacecraft v1. For those that don't know, Spacecraft v1 sets certain pins to 5V that shouldn't be set to that on an OLED.

You can find more info in the readme of my application here: https://github.com/Pheeeeenom/payloadchecker

All this application does is check the payload that's currently written and checks it to verified hashes stored in the program.

Steps to follow are:

Boot hekate
Dump BOOT0
Check it on application

If you have a genuine modchip, update it to the latest Spacecraft v2 before you install it into an OLED.

The OLED-specific modchip also comes with broken USB debugging, if you want to fix this issue you will need to write this repaired firmware binary.

Tembokbesi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Also btw I took a look at the sdloader payload that does the misconfiguration, it seems to only run the code to route 5v wherever if it fails to load a payload off the sd card, so it's not as big of an issue as it initially seemed (still should probably avoid using it though).
View attachment 293228
(edit: setup_display leads to display_init, which contains the offending code)
i tried to run my oled for a while without sd card and only black screen appears... can it damage my device? and after restart and i put back a micro sd it work normal. also is same thing between "fails to load a payload" and run switch without an sd card?

Last edited by Tembokbesi,

Dean_

Trophies
XP
Country
i tried to run my oled for a while without sd card and only black screen appears... can it damage my device? and after restart and i put back a micro sd it work normal
As long as it has spacecraft-nx v0.2, you don't have to worry about black screen.

Afuri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's not your SD card, it's your consoles RAM
oh my bad, I had (mistakenly) misunderstood the memory to be in reference to my added external storage, rather than the console's internal RAM manufactured by micron.

would that mean that some models with the samsung-produced memory would be trainable and thus boot to the boot screen instead of the black screen?

thanks for the clarification!

Mena

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh my bad, I had (mistakenly) misunderstood the memory to be in reference to my added external storage, rather than the console's internal RAM manufactured by micron.

would that mean that some models with the samsung-produced memory would be trainable and thus boot to the boot screen instead of the black screen?

thanks for the clarification!
Exactly this

Reactions: Afuri

fragged

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also btw I took a look at the sdloader payload that does the misconfiguration, it seems to only run the code to route 5v wherever if it fails to load a payload off the sd card, so it's not as big of an issue as it initially seemed (still should probably avoid using it though).
View attachment 293228
So will this problem linger after powering off if it were to be booted without the correct payload file on the SD card, if it was ever booted without that is it messed up afterwards? Or after a power off and then with the correct payload in place it wouldn't load the code that sends the 5V where it shouldn't?

van0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
View attachment 293228

So if my switch is already correctly setup and working, as I never intend to actually switch it off, just rebooting to go from cfw to ofw and back, there should be no further risk so long as it correctly reads the payload on the very rare occasion it will need to? That'd be quite amazing if so

gokuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
A lot of installers in my opinion boot once the install is done, before inserting an sd card to get that no sd message. i know quite a few like that. this explains one of the deaths my friend had
Not to mention user error and sd card failure, which btw happens more often than expected.

Stryd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
View attachment 293228
God bless for this find. Should teach people to be extra careful and read the guides more carefully now :P

"Do things properly or you'll tase your board" :rofl2:

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So will this problem linger after powering off if it were to be booted without the correct payload file on the SD card, if it was ever booted without that is it messed up afterwards? Or after a power off and then with the correct payload in place it wouldn't load the code that sends the 5V where it shouldn't?
If you were to boot without an sd card and it survives, then you do boot with an sd card, it wouldn't linger
So if my switch is already correctly setup and working, as I never intend to actually switch it off, just rebooting to go from cfw to ofw and back, there should be no further risk so long as it correctly reads the payload on the very rare occasion it will need to? That'd be quite amazing if so
yeah

Reactions: Stryd

Acide0

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There is no regulator 3.3v just before the oled screen ??
if so there is no reason that the screen received 5v no .

xdMatthewbx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the arch flex chip, does anyone know (beyond an educated guess) which way the USB connector faces? It says "UP" on one side, but based on their behaviour before I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they have that on the wrong side. This is the chip I'm referring to:
PXL_20220111_194018405.MP.jpg

Magnus Hydra

It’s rare for me to be here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the arch flex chip, does anyone know (beyond an educated guess) which way the USB connector faces? It says "UP" on one side, but based on their behaviour before I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they have that on the wrong side. This is the chip I'm referring to:View attachment 293291
Flip it over for the way you have it in that pic so it says up

doom95

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For the arch flex chip, does anyone know (beyond an educated guess) which way the USB connector faces? It says "UP" on one side, but based on their behaviour before I wouldn't rule out the possibility that they have that on the wrong side. This is the chip I'm referring to:View attachment 293291
Yes, opposite from how you have it

Reactions: Magnus Hydra

james194zt2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting you can see the GD32 chip code, on my HWFly core you cannot see that on my locked out HWFly as it has been laser etched off.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2: +1