[Guide] Community noob guide to Wii U hacking

Discussion in 'Wii U - Tutorials' started by Kafluke, Nov 29, 2016.

1. matrunix

matrunix Member

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2019
    Greece
    Ok thank you very much

2. Xellos2099

Xellos2099 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2006
    United States
    Question, my friend bring me his wiiu to be hack and it is on 5.5.1. I know wiiu got updated to 5.5.4 last month. Anyway for me to get on eshop to buy the brainage game for the hack? he only want ti for some backup and meme stuff

3. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    you can update hack still works.you need to be on latest firm to go on eshop.if ypu don't won't to buy a ds game for haxchi you can use mocha .beware haxchi can be used offline once it's installed mocha needs internetconnection.5.5.4 is eu update i think us is 5.5.3(latest)

4. Xellos2099

Xellos2099 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 9, 2006
    United States
    i see

Last edited by Xellos2099, Jul 18, 2019
  5. DiversityDan

DiversityDan Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 30, 2016
    United States
    I've been out of the homebrew loop for a hot minute. My Wii U is 5.5.1u and already has the HomeBrew Tile with HaxChi soft mod (no tile). Is there any way I can buy one of the needed games (aiming for Brain Age) to put HaxChi into my system? Or would I have to update my system?

6. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    Just update and follow the guide nothing has been patched

7. NoUNO

NoUNO Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2019
    United States
    First off let me say this has been an excellent guide and it has gotten me to the point that I currently have HaxChi CFW and can play games that I installed onto my external hard drive using WUP Installer GX2. However sorting games into folders on the Wii U menu is kind of cumbersome, and I much prefer the look and functionality of a box art carousel like what Loadiine GX2 has. Since I've gone down the path that I have I was wondering if Loadiine GX2 is even an option, or if maybe there was something else that I'm not aware of. Ultimately I also want to have Wii, GC, N64, SNES, and NES games installed on the same USB HDD. I *think* that means using TeconMoon's Wii VC Injector and CatmanFan's Injectiine Wii U Virtual Console Injector, but I'm not entirely sure since I'm only about a week into all this.

Last edited by NoUNO, Jul 22, 2019
  8. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    Techmoon is good for GC and Wii for N64 i use Wii 64 with overclocker(signc2w).Nes/SNES with retroarch.nes,SNES,wii64 on sd card.also make sure you use the same region for Wii injection Ore they Will blackscreen.
    That carousel thing is not possible i think .only if you use and hack the vwii side and launch the Wii/N64/GC/Nes/Nes games from there.(for techmoons injector there's no need to hack the vwii side).hope this helpt you a bit

NoUNO likes this.
  9. pietdegeling

pietdegeling Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 28, 2019
    Netherlands
    Hello, and thanks for an easy to follow guide.
    There are 2 things i need help with.

1) the download link for the appstore doesn’t seem to work?
    2) what is the maximum size for the sd-card on which you place the wiiu folder and the install folder (to put the games in). I use a 128Gb microsdxc card via an adapter. But i get the message sd card not mounted

oh yes, i am running on 5.5.4

10. Hentz

Hentz Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2019
    Brazil
    Guys I need some help: I did everything right and got games running on my Wii U (using the WUP Installer/Haxchi), but my internal memory is full and I got a USB hard drive to download the games, but when I choose the USB option on WUP Installer the Wii U just reboots with a black screen. Is there anything I can do? I formated the hard drive through the Wii U menu.

11. hemi426

hemi426 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 16, 2018
    Belgium
    s
    do you use a y-cable for your usb hdd ,if you do try another one and try different usb ports
    if you have wup installer channel installed it needs to be on the usb hard drive

12. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    appstore miror link : https://fortheusers.org/
    I still use switchbru.com which redirect there. switchbru is easier to remember to me.

I don't think there's a maximum SD size.
    128GB SDXC should work. something is wrong elsewhere, maybe try to format the card with Panasonic SD formater first, then format it back to FAT32 using GUIFormat.
    doing that often fix sd cards issues.

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 29, 2019
    pietdegeling likes this.
  13. Hentz

Hentz Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2019
    Brazil
    I need to put the wup installer channel file on the USB hard drive? just copy and paste that file (wup_installer_gx2.elf) onto the hard drive?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

No, it's not an y-cable! and I tried all 4 usb ports and they all had the same result: a noise and black screen, the TV and the Gamepad seems like the Wii U is off but the "on" light is still blue... I just turn off and on again and everything is back to normal, but I can't seem to download games on USB.

Thanks for the help btw, I hope someone can figure out the reason why!

EDIT: Ok I figured out what is my problem, apparently my USB hard drive was not getting enough power? Didn't know that was a thing. So the problem wasn't relate to the thread, sorry, just ignore my posts!

Last edited by Hentz, Jul 30, 2019
    hemi426 likes this.
  14. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    just to answer your question, even if it wasn't your issue:

what he meant with "put it on usb" is not about the .elf file.
    homebrew elf files work only on SD card. you can't use a FAT32 USB HDD with homebrew on it.

there are two way to launch homebrew :
    - located on SD, launched from HBL
    - installed as channel on your system (internal, or external WiiU HDD)

if you used the "channel version" of WUP installer, you might had to move the channel to WiiU HDD like this :
    settings->data management->move data->from system to USB->move WUPGX to USB instead of having it installed on internal memory.

I didn't know it was necessary, maybe it can fix some issues? well I'll know for future user help :)

15. robco7

robco7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    I have an external drive by Seagate I've been using for well over a year now, and for a number of months I've been unable to install several games in WUP Installer directly to the NAND, getting an error message that freezes the console, while I've been unable to install anything directly to the the USB drive for the same period of time. Someone suggested trying to install games to another hard drive as a test, to see if there's something wrong with my Seagate drive, but it's been a while since I bought it and I don't remember why I chose it particularly. Will any hard drive "that has it's own power cable or a USB Y cable for hard drives that come with only a single USB cable" work as an external drive? Kafluke also recommended not using a flash stick (or flash drive, I don't even know if these are the same thing because of how incompetent I am with electronics) because of not providing enough space (though the one I have is over 100gb, so I'm guessing this wouldn't be an issue?), but in any case does that mean I could test it out by installing games in WUP Installer to it?

16. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    yes, any hdd will work as external WiiU HDD.
    though, toshiba drives tend to have some issues similar to flashdrives when it's used for Wii homebrew. I have no idea if it's an issue with WiiU format.

robco7 likes this.
  17. panamex

panamex Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    Mexico

Hello roboco7.

I have been using a 2 TB Seagate External Hard Drive for many years without any problems, right now I am still using it. Some suggestions:

-First, go to the configuration of the Seagate HDD, and shut off the stand by function and the auto shut down function if it has one.

-Second. Connect the USB cable from the HDD to the most inferior rear UBS Wii U connection (Wii U in horizontal position).

-Third. Reinstall or use another version of WUP Installer.

Wait for your comments.

robco7 likes this.
  18. robco7

robco7 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 17, 2017
    United States
    Thank you both for the help.

Where would I find the configuration for the HDD, is it somewhere in the Wii U settings? I'm sorry for needing more clarification, but which is the inferior rear USB connection, is it the two on the right side of the back of the console, the ones farthest away from the power adapter connection? Those are the ones I've been using since I never really use the USB ports in the front. My HDD has a y cable, so I use both of the rear connections.

Last edited by robco7, Aug 16, 2019 at 9:56 PM
  19. Czn

Czn Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2019
    United States
    I have not hacked anything since my old Wii and the process was much different. I have followed all steps I am quite sure the correct way but I am encountering an issue on the sigpatch step with HaxChi. I reinstalled it after completing the above step in order to do the patch but after reinstalling HaxChi over the ds game the HaxChi channel doesn't load anymore. It boots me back to the main Wii U menu. Anything I could have possibly missed?

20. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    referring to ports when the console is vertical depends your point of view (front or back ?)
    while referring to ports using "bottom" or "top" usually (logically) refers to the location when the console stands on its feet, unless you love to put consoles upside down.
    so, bottom means ... the one on the feet side, and top means the one on the .. top side?

Actually, if you want your HDD to be used for WiiU games, you can plug it on ANY of the 4 USB Ports.
    if you want your HDD to be used for vWii homebrew, then ONLY Port0 is recommended (rear-top port)