Homebrew Genplus GX 1.7.0

wingzrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried both winlame and switch sound file converter, and both times when I try to play audio in the sega cd emulator is just comes up with no sound.

What converter are you guys using?

EDIT: If it helps, playing the same sonic cd from the same SD card on my PC through Kega Fusion plays fine.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
no more ideas, sorry
if you verified the wave files are all put in the same directory as the iso file and file format/names are fine, i would try to report the issue on the googlecode project page if i were you

wingzrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got it working and wow, this is the best thing ever. Being able to play sega cd without burned discs, ann on a cRT monitor is great.

Turns out my SD card was corrupted, which would explain the cracking audio i was getting playing Genesis roms too.

I tried everything on a new SD card and it all works great now, thanks again.

rogerlesourd

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi and big thanks to Eke-Eke,

I have a small problem : my Popful mail saves done with v1.7.0 are said to be invalid. Is this normal and is there a workaround?

Thanks

PrimeTime 84

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Great, great job on this wonderful emu!
Just wanted to know it's common to have sound buzzing intervals playing sega cd games.
This is the only problem I have with this emu at this point.
Most noticable in Sonic cd.
I think it is caused by inconsistent HDD reading speed.
Basically if your HDD is not able to continuously read from bin or wav files at the same regular speed, it will sometime lock the emulator for a few sec when reading the data. It' s not noticeable when loading files normally but since emulators generally need finer synchronization ( one frame is a few ms), if the device takes 100ms to do something it usually does in 10ms, it will screw everything.
If the Wii had an internal IDE hard drive like the xbox, there wouldn't probably have been such problem.
Or maybe using SDCARD will work better.
try (re)installing IOS58 http://wiibrew.org/wiki/IOS58_Installer

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
For anynyone interested, version 1.7.3 is out
http://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/downloads/list

Genesis Plus GX 1.7.3 (26/11/2012)
----------------------------------

[Gamecube/Wii]
---------------
* fixed broken input system initialization

Genesis Plus GX 1.7.2 (24/11/2012)

[Core/SCD]
---------------
* added default TOC for Shadow of the Beast II (prevent hangs when audio tracks are missing)
* fixed CD-DA fader muting
* fixed PCM channels panning on reset
* fixed backup RAM file management when using disc swap with Mode 1 cartridge
* incremented CD drive read latency: fixes Space Adventure Cobra (freeze when opening coffin at 2nd morgue scene)
* improved CDD emulation accuracy: fixes Snatcher (freeze at the end of Act 2) & various CD player bugs
* improved MAIN-SUB memory map mirroring in SCD mode (verified on real hardware by Charles McDonald)
* implemented cycle-accurate "stopwatch" register emulation

[Core/Sound]
---------------
* fixed broken PSG noise frequency
* fixed incorrect Game Gear PSG stereo emulation
* implemented cycle-accurate Game Gear PSG stereo

[Core/VDP]
---------------
* fixed broken VDP DMA from SVP ROM latency (graphic errors in Virtua Racing)

[Core/MD]
---------------
* added Super Mario World 64 (unlicensed) cartridge hardware emulation

[Core/Input]
---------------
* added automatic detection for CD games with Justifier/Menacer support
* improved Justifier/Menacer emulation

[Gamecube/Wii]
---------------
* fixed screen rendering when borders are disabled
* added configurable on-screen CD leds

[Wii]
---------------
* DVD light now indicates when virtual CD tray is open
* fixed automatic input settings detection
* improved lightgun crosshair positionning

Reactions: OriginalHamster

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
First thanks to everyone involved in this neat emulator.
Second I have a quick question, testing segaCD atm grabbed some roms to test bin/cue roms work perfectly with music
however ISO/wav combo won't hear music
I've read that uncompressed wav is only supported (44100 16 Stereo) which is what I have actually, do I need a special conversion utility or something?
also is there any chance to have any form of compressed sound working in the future (mp3, ogg, ...etc) this will drop the rom sizes by at least a factor of 5 to 10 :)

Thanks again
Abz :)

Edit: Never mind about ISO/wav thing actually I found out that a cue file is needed for proper music function when wav are used

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
I guess this can help many people still struggling to get music tracks working (tested on both v1.7.3 app and Wiiflow 1.7.3 plugin dol)

1. Grab your SegaCD rom, preferably in Bin/Cue format since those will work right away but are the largest files out there since bin has uncompressed audio tracks (cue file is needed)
or
2. Roms in ISO/MP3 format are the smallest files because Audio tracks are compressed but these need few tweaks before they can become GenplusGX 1.7.3 ready

GenPlusGx did not add any support for compressed audio tracks yet so first thing you need to convert the mp3 to wav
A. Install this handy batch Mp3 to wav converter: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?9nvzlx9hka8cbvh
B. Go to options and select the following General/Wav settings
6BQQz.jpg
dy4Y0.jpg

C. Extract the rom in a folder and select all mp3 files > > > right click > > > Convert to WAV
PUZUn.jpg

D. when done the mp3 files are still selected so delete them:
OuZSj.jpg
28oez.jpg

now you have the ISO and Wav files ready and should work fine
E. If still no music sound then you need to create a cue file for the ISO/Wav files
F. Download IMGburn and install it from here:http://www.imgburn.com/
G. Open and goto tools >> create cue file:
L2YqE.jpg

H.Select your ISO/WAV files but Right click > > > Add or Insert button:
lTH36.jpg

I. Right click on the ISO file and "Move to top" since this should be track1
HJ2zt.jpg
zfcUI.jpg

J. Save the cue file (automatically goes in same folder as waves and ISO
ftpIr.jpg

Now that you have the ISO, waves and cue copy them all into your Roms folder and enjoy games with music :)

Method 2 is longer but is fast and easy and will save you 10-20 times downloaded games size

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
I personally don't use .cue files with iso+wav and audio works fine, as long as wav files are named correctly and in the same folder as the iso file (For example, Sonic CD.iso -> Sonic CD - 02.wav, Sonic CD - 03.wav, etc).

Since iso+mp3 generally comes named like this anyway, all i did was batch converting them to wav using DB poweramp plugin (integrated on right click context menus in Windows, just select mp3 files, right click on "convert to", pick the correct settings (16 bit stereo 44100hz, CD quality) and it's generally done in a few seconds. If mp3 files are not named correctly, it can also rename them in batch when converting.

Chido

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be a really stupid question, but is there no way to run the FMVs? I got Sonic CD to run with audio, but I can't find any info regarding the intro video.

Seems it was a really stupid question lol. I got it.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah right, but for a weird reason the music sound didn't work for me until I made the cue file.
Looks like GenPlus GX looks for the cue first.
Moreover using the cue you don't have to worry about standard naming conventions of the sound files.
Thanks & TC
:)
Hey Abz wondering if you knew of a good place that has PCE-CD/Sega-CD MP3 soundtracks? I need to make a cue file for Akumajou Dracula X Chi No Rondo as well as Sega CD games but I want the ripped audio from the game not soundtracks cuz I think that would cause issues right?

Ok I found out it's easy enough to make 1:1 rips of ISO's into bin/cue w/imagebrn so is there a way to rip the audio tracks right out of the ISO/Bin? That way I can convert to WAV and save some space lol.

AbdallahTerro

da KiNG
Trophies
Website
ccabz.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Ok I found out it's easy enough to make 1:1 rips of ISO's into bin/cue w/imagebrn so is there a way to rip the audio tracks right out of the ISO/Bin? That way I can convert to WAV and save some space lol.
you can mount the bin with daemon and rip it with any media player, I use Audition but most media players should work too.

Reactions: MassiveRican

Pikabunz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do SMS games sound off to anyone else? I tried playing Wonderboy 3 and the music sounds a little muffled or something. Is there anyway to fix this?

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Do SMS games sound off to anyone else? I tried playing Wonderboy 3 and the music sounds a little muffled or something. Is there anyway to fix this?

Experiment with the ''sound'' settings from the Genesis Plus GX ''options'' menu.
The included README.pdf file with the app does a great job at explaining all the options and what they do.

=EDIT=
specifically, page 15 of the pdf has all the info you 'll need :)

=======================

Btw guys, for me total size for .iso and .wav files of a game, versus size for a .bin and a .cue file of the same game is about the same. Maybe i am doing something wrong? No worries at all though, gen plus works fine as is, just mentioning this.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
@nakata: that's perfectly normal, bin or iso+wav are just two ways of storing CD data and audio tracks, either all tracks in one file (bin) or separated files for each track (iso+wav), both use uncompressed raw data and at the end have similar size.

contrary to what some people think, "converting" to wav does not save much space (if any), all it does is extracting audio tracks from the bin file and simply adds a wave header to them, audio bits are left untouched. Converting to iso saves some space on the data track but not that much, something around 10% of the data track size in the .bin file.

Reactions: nakata6790

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Kaden maybe contact the staff? I don't know how all that works