NeoCD RX - A new fork.

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. Never crossed my mind to try Daemon Tools. CDmage extracts the audio to .pcm and Audacity is the only program i use that will handle raw audio.

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I understand, but the issue is finding ISO images, i don't think they exist any longer.

I looked for Bang Busters and Treasure of the Caribbean all over the net and came to realize, ISO images no longer exist. You will only find Bin/Cue in a 3-4 hour ISO hunt. Maybe they exist tucked away 8-10 pages deep but they are not readily available

Extracting and converting the audio files from Bin/Cue is a whole different beast. In fact CDmage is the only program i know of that can do the task.
They completely do exist. I think you got things very mixed and confused, friend. You don't have to find ISO files exclusively. All CD and DVD virtual images can ALWAYS be whatever format if there was the need to, no matter what. CUE+BIN, ISO, CCD+IMG, CDI, NRG, it just doesn't matter.

Not the case for NeoCDRX as the games don't care at all in which file format you find them, you just need to copy the files inside. "But what if I find a chd?" Well, of course, just decompress the CHD (short for Compressed Hunks of Data) to recover the original format, which is most likely CUE+BIN. You then mount and rip.

Let's completely forget about any ISO. You already have a Virtual CD image in whatever format, which I totally mention in the guide:
"If you already have a backup of your games, in formats like CUE+BIN, CCD+IMG+SUB, etc., then mount your virtual CDs"

And how do you mount a virtual CD image to rip the tracks? Another quick google search: free virtual cd mount.

Search results: WinCDEmu, Total Mounter, DVDFab Virtual Drive, Virtual CloneDrive, DAEMON Tools. I think even Windows 10 has one integrated.

Most of those mentioned are older than wind and very well known, specially DAEMON Tools Lite.

Extracting and converting the audio files from Bin/Cue is a whole different beast. In fact CDmage is the only program i know of that can do the task.
Thanks for the info. Never crossed my mind to try Daemon Tools. CDmage extracts the audio to .pcm and Audacity is the only program i use that will handle raw audio.
But what whole different beast, man? Don't insist on CDMage, there is no need at all to use it! I just told you Winamp rips MP3 from CD tracks, quick, painless, easy. Probably even Foobar2000 does it. No Audacity either, unless you really want to, for whatever slow reason, manually do file compression one by one.

Four steps, no complications: Mount CD, copy the files to the new game folder, rip audio tracks to MP3, copy them to the respective folder.

On Windows: Daemon Tools + Windows Media Player. Couldn't be easier.
Just curious, do you still have to pay a license on Windows Media Player for MP3 ripping, or was that scrapped? Last WMP I used regularly was with 98 and early XP days.

Last edited by niuus,
Reactions: RunningSnakes

RunningSnakes

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use WinCDEmu and UltraISO to mount and neither program would allow me to extract (or even detect) the audio tracks for both games i mentioned earlier.

Yes, i extract and compress CHD on a regular basis. I have mounted, burned, extracted probably a few thousand images over time. Converted probably 50,000 audio files over time and at one time or another used nearly every program you mentioned with the exception of WinAmp and TotalMounter (never heard of that program).

As i said before, i believe i was ripping ISO files in 2016 when i put my NeoCD set together and don't remember those being such a pain. Maybe these 2 unlicensed games were the issue but i do have both playing 100% on NeoCDRX.

The PC i use for all Game/Wii, Photoshop, ripping, burning, etc., has Windows 7 installed. I know at some point I'll be forced to move away from 7 but 10 was nothing but problem after problem for me, so i went back to 7.

Anyhow, thanks for everything you do for the community my friend.

Reactions: niuus

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I use WinCDEmu and UltraISO to mount and neither program would allow me to extract (or even detect) the audio tracks for both games i mentioned earlier.

Yes, i extract and compress CHD on a regular basis. I have mounted, burned, extracted probably a few thousand images over time. Converted probably 50,000 audio files over time and at one time or another used nearly every program you mentioned with the exception of WinAmp and TotalMounter (never heard of that program).

As i said before, i believe i was ripping ISO files in 2016 when i put my NeoCD set together and don't remember those being such a pain. Maybe these 2 unlicensed games were the issue but i do have both playing 100% on NeoCDRX.

The PC i use for all Game/Wii, Photoshop, ripping, burning, etc., has Windows 7 installed. I know at some point I'll be forced to move away from 7 but 10 was nothing but problem after problem for me, so i went back to 7.

Anyhow, thanks for everything you do for the community my friend.
You know what's funny? I also use a Win7 PC for all of those purposes you mention, LOL (except emulating Wii, haven't done that in a long while).

Last Neo Geo CD conversions I did some months ago, were: Treasure of the Caribbean, Bang Bang Busters, and Xeno Crisis. I used Virtual CloneDrive (my favorite, it's incredibly light) and Winamp, that's it.

Reactions: RunningSnakes

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
You would never notice in games like Metal Slug, but the minute you start playing Xeno Crisis and see the intro, you'll immediately notice the dialogues being cut at the left side (score is affected too, as it is glued to the left border, the CRT overscan area).
@niuus , I was just wondering after looking for information about "Xeno Crisis" (which I had forgotten is a "new" game from 2021, not an original game from back in the day) : is it possible the developers of the game might have simply ignored the "don't put any important info within the 8-16 dots area in the corners" rule?

I mean, is there any official game that has important content cropped? If there isn't, then I believe it's more of an omission from the Xeno Crisis team than an issue with your emulator? People like me who have a line doubler can easily put a mask on the borders, but for the others, if the scrambled graphics can be hidden and have to be because one later game just forgot about the rule, it might be worth putting an option that they only disable for THIS only game?

rexus_pl

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Just curious, do you still have to pay a license on Windows Media Player for MP3 ripping, or was that scrapped? Last WMP I used regularly was with 98 and early XP days.
I've just turned on wife's computer, installed Daemon Tools and mounted image, then Windows Media Playes appeared and started to play. There were option to rip disc, and MP3 wan an option. Haven't payed for anything.

I use Linux on my computer, and can tell more about Linux envoriment. Well, CUE/BIN support under Linux is a crap, and it was easier to use wife's computer :)

ber71

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I use Linux on my computer, and can tell more about Linux envoriment. Well, CUE/BIN support under Linux is a crap, and it was easier to use wife's computer :)

I bet that k3b, the standard nero-like program for kde, can do this and more. Haven't tested for myself, though.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hey all,
(also pinging @niuus)

For those wanting to play BIN+CUE games of NeoGeo CD (and maybe CHD), i tried to compile today a Wii version of the NeoCD emulator for Libretro (RetroArch).

In my first tests, it works fine, but you need a Wii Classic Controller for be able to use this emulator correctly.
I have only tested Neo Drift Out - New Technology (Japan) and despite the repentine slowdowns and tiny FPS drops, it works fine.

1680893701239.png

1680893710633.png

1680893724809.png

I had to modify a bit original NeoCD Libretro code for allow me to compile to Wii (basing on the implementation on Wii U), which i will share the source in a few hours.

This is intended to be used along as a companion and/or alternative to NeoCD RX, and also possibly for WiiFlow users that want NeoGeo CD games on their WiiFlow library.

Gonna post the build in a few hours.
Post automatically merged:

Posted the build and source of NeoCD for Wii (RA Wii) here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/unoffic...core-for-the-wii-powered-by-retroarch.630584/

Last edited by SaulFabre,

niuus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hey all,
(also pinging @niuus)

For those wanting to play BIN+CUE games of NeoGeo CD (and maybe CHD), i tried to compile today a Wii version of the NeoCD emulator for Libretro (RetroArch).

In my first tests, it works fine, but you need a Wii Classic Controller for be able to use this emulator correctly.
I have only tested Neo Drift Out - New Technology (Japan) and despite the repentine slowdowns and tiny FPS drops, it works fine.

I had to modify a bit original NeoCD Libretro code for allow me to compile to Wii (basing on the implementation on Wii U), which i will share the source in a few hours.

This is intended to be used along as a companion and/or alternative to NeoCD RX, and also possibly for WiiFlow users that want NeoGeo CD games on their WiiFlow library.

Gonna post the build in a few hours.

Posted the build and source of NeoCD for Wii (RA Wii) here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/unoffic...core-for-the-wii-powered-by-retroarch.630584/
Hi @SaulFabre. You arrived very late to the party with this one. I did a build much before while researching, and even Ploggy did another one a little more than a full month ago, you could have just built his source and credit him, as you copied his changes to your fork without any mention.

Some issues about the core that I have seen over the months: games run at 22fps when you activate some retroarch options. Toggling on/off Bilinear filtering stretches the screen, you need to reload to fix it. Some games are having problems playing sound effects (i.e: Windjammers, Neo Turf Masters). You mention CHD support, yet you failed to disclose that CDDA audio in CHD files is just not working correctly right now (known issue, also reported by Ploggy).

Can you put those images inside a spoiler tag? Sometimes I access the forums when I have problems with my internet while using mobile data, and loading 3 high res images suddenly without any real need is very awful.

Last edited by niuus,

Garcimak

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
EDIT / convert to neocd-rx script V2
Code:
* Updated the script to take the folder's name with [square brackets] in it (litteral path)
* now using ffmpeg.exe to convert *.wav -if found- to 320kbps MP3

Thanks Niius, was expecting your neocd emu for a long time, appreciating the time and efforts put in it,
hat off for the cool looking manual !!

Eagerly waiting for 240p support it will be damn close to the real thing.

Im currently converting my old iso/cue+MP3 or WAV set (still to be found in coolrom) into the wii format and did a powershell
script to manage all that in a thread (non destructive way) : it just scans the folders, unpacks the iso - you need 7zip intalled for that - and moves the already existing mp3 to the appropriate folder renaming that to TRACK02 - TRACK03 - ...

For those who wanna try, just drop the .ps1 file into the root folder of your collections and give it the permission when running.

i'll try making a new script taking care of full iso and converting the audio to mp3.

Btw i heard some stuttering while playing raguy at the beginning of the tracks (it was vbr encoded around 100kbbs),

what do you think would be the best compression option >128kbps?

Attachments

• Convert_NEOCD_MP3_ISO.zip
    934 bytes · Views: 37
  • _neocd_to_wii V2.7z
    175.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited by Garcimak,

Escalade68

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow amazing work niuus really love your work and what you've done with this emulator out of curiosity are you going to continue updating and adding your proposed features or is this it for the foreseeable future also sorry for my ignorance but did you post a custom channel forwarder or did I misread

Last edited by Escalade68,

Nestorgunner

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
the translation for samurai shodown rpg was released, black screen after the intro credits, someone made it work?

the translation for samurai shodown rpg was released, black screen after the intro credits, someone made it work?

DDinghoya

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South

Redump JPN is no problem. I also tested it.

Just my opinion, but wouldn't the loader perform hash verification for translated game?

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador

Have you tried using my builds of NeoCD-Libretro Wii?

Brand Newman

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
France
Hello everyone,

Just in case you were using a different "version" of the game, I converted the translated "bin+cue" copy into a "files+MP3" one, as I believe this emulator can only use that type of architecture for NeoGeo CD games.

You can download it here, if it helps (02.07.2024 : link updated to V1.10) :
Samurai Shodown RPG (Eng - ThePriceofReason v.01.10) - Files+MP3

However, I too am stuck at the credits intro, followed by a black screen:
PXL_20231201_115258911.jpg

I don't think it's an emulation issue, as both original and French translated versions work.

But using your Wii isn't the ideal way of experiencing the game anyway for now : as both the aforementioned versions have trouble displaying the text (it gets overlaid by the window).

Maybe for a later release? I'll leave a message to the translator since we follow each other on Twitter about the booting issue, but know that the same version of the game ran perfectly for me on Retroarch, so let's not be too demanding ! :lol:

Yours truly.

Last edited by Brand Newman,

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hello everyone,

Just in case you were using a different "version" of the game, I converted the translated "bin+cue" copy into a "files+MP3" one, as I believe this emulator can only use that type of architecture for NeoGeo CD games.

You can download it here, if it helps :
Samurai Shodown RPG (Eng - ThePriceofReason v.01.00) - Files+MP3

However, I too am stuck at the credits intro, followed by a black screen:
View attachment 406743

I don't think it's an emulation issue, as both original and French translated versions work.

But using your Wii isn't the ideal way of experiencing the game anyway for now : as both the aforementioned versions have trouble displaying the text (it gets overlaid by the window).

Maybe for a later release? I'll leave a message to the translator since we follow each other on Twitter about the booting issue, but know that the same version of the game ran perfectly for me on Retroarch, so let's not be too demanding ! :lol:

Yours truly.
Also try booting it in NeoCD-Libretro Wii if it's really an emulation issue...

(Not sure if u tried in it, but just trying to help.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol