Homebrew GBARunner2

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok, so if you have CFW on your 3DS then it is recommended to use either NSUI to make a .cia to use the native gba mode of your 3DS, or use open_agb_firm. Again, these are unreleated to gbarunner2 and you should ask about for help with them elsewhere.
that's too complicated, I am just going back to my supercard ds2 lol

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
that's what I did. it's not as hard as you think. almost everything is done automatically.
use supercard ds2, launch game, save the game, take the .sav file, move that to gbarunner and launch that, and re-saving should work in gbarunner?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you'll need to use turdpusher's script to get the save on the system. it should be much easier than it used to be. when I did it, I had to copy the save to my pc, since the previous save for each of my games would be overwrite. I don't think it's as much of a pita now though. all of my saves work via this method, and theoretically, all of them should save without a problem.

no, I think what we're suggesting, at least I'm suggesting, is to make a cia of the gba game with the app I mentioned. it will do boxart or a screen image of the title screen based on a database. there's almost nothing you have to do to make it. the only problem is the save portion. I just don't know how it is now. I'm pretty sure it's easier, but I don't know for sure. it's not that hard, and if you have to do it the way I did it, it's not hard, but tedious.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
use supercard ds2, launch game, save the game, take the .sav file, move that to gbarunner and launch that, and re-saving should work in gbarunner?
No, that's not what @godreborn is saying, and no what you are describing won't work.

Please, I repeat, can you move this discussion to somewhere else since none of this has to do with gbarunner2 anymore.

scionae

*clicking circles*
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there any way to make GBARunner2 work with roms above 30MB? I heard there was a limit and I'm trying to play Radical Red on my DSi with the ID changed to Pokemon Emerald so it runs RTC, it works on mGBA on PC and tell me it's pokemon emerald but it just hangs on the Gameboy logo on my DSi. Any fixes?

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there any way to make GBARunner2 work with roms above 30MB? I heard there was a limit and I'm trying to play Radical Red on my DSi with the ID changed to Pokemon Emerald so it runs RTC, it works on mGBA on PC and tell me it's pokemon emerald but it just hangs on the Gameboy logo on my DSi. Any fixes?
Generally the DSi would struggle with that since it has 16MB of RAM. Your best bet is to try the hybrid hicode build. Also you will need CFW on your DSi, it won't work with just a flashcard.

Last edited by Zense,
Reactions: Tarmfot

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Last edited by Zense,

scionae

*clicking circles*
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there any maximum file size on the DSi version of GBARunner2?
I have tried with a 17 MB custom GBA video rom and it worked flawlessly, so I'm kind of curious on the size limit of this version.
There is, iirc it's 32MB. That's why there are the custom versions like the one I used above to play Pokemon Radical Red/Unbound

jdsteel7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could also try this build which combines it with DSP branch (much better audio), but you'll need unlaunch to run it on a DSi:
https://github.com/therealteamplayer/GBARunner2/releases/tag/v20210911-merges-and-tweaks
I would like to try this. I have Unlaunch and Twilight++, is the process as simple as just replacing the following file in the _nds folder on my Dsi's SD card?

Or, can I simply place that file on the root of my SD card and leave the GBARunner2 files that Twilight loaded in tact in my _nds folder?

Basically, I want to have the latest "build" of GBARunner2 that has the best balance of compatibility, performance, and sound. Right now the audio on my Metroid Zero Mission sounds pretty bad.

Last edited by jdsteel7,

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
I would like to try this. I have Unlaunch and Twilight++, is the process as simple as just replacing the following file in the _nds folder on my Dsi's SD card?

Or, can I simply place that file on the root of my SD card and leave the GBARunner2 files that Twilight loaded in tact in my _nds folder?

Basically, I want to have the latest "build" of GBARunner2 that has the best balance of compatibility, performance, and sound. Right now the audio on my Metroid Zero Mission sounds pretty bad.
Either way, I think that fork should be stable enough that replacing your TWiLight one should be fine. For the more one off branches like wifilink probably better to just load it manually and select the ROM from it.

Reactions: Zense

jdsteel7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Either way, I think that fork should be stable enough that replacing your TWiLight one should be fine. For the more one off branches like wifilink probably better to just load it manually and select the ROM from it.
Great thanks! I just made a backup of my GBArunner files and then replaced the
GBARunner2_arm7dldi_dsi.nds file. The audio sounds a little better, music still very muddy though on Zero Mission but I can live with it. It's entirely possible that the music was always bad even on OG hardware, I mean sound on the GBA was never it's strong suit anyway haha.

Reactions: Zense and Pk11

jdsteel7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I was wondering if there was any updates to the Mother 3 compatibility issue with gbarunner2, the last update I saw was in post #3084. And it looks like the compatibility list hasn't been updated in a couple of years for Mother 3.
The most recent "solution" was to use this hybrid solution for hicode, load another rom other than Mother 3, and then use the reset feature of GbaRunner to get past the area that causes the issue. Just wondering if there is a better, simpler solution then this?

Trying to gift my non-tech savvy friend a DSi XL for the main purpose of playing Mother 3 but unless it just works out of the box I'll need to find another solution.
TIA!

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello, I was wondering if there was any updates to the Mother 3 compatibility issue with gbarunner2, the last update I saw was in post #3084. And it looks like the compatibility list hasn't been updated in a couple of years for Mother 3.
The most recent "solution" was to use this hybrid solution for hicode, load another rom other than Mother 3, and then use the reset feature of GbaRunner to get past the area that causes the issue. Just wondering if there is a better, simpler solution then this?

Trying to gift my non-tech savvy friend a DSi XL for the main purpose of playing Mother 3 but unless it just works out of the box I'll need to find another solution.
TIA!
No, Mother 3 still doesn't work, I'm afraid. For specifically playing Mother 3 you'd need a different system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xQO7neBmy0&pp=ygUXU2hvd2VyIHNjZW5lIEhhbGYgYmFrZWQ%3D