ROM Hack Andaron Saga (FE8 hack) on real hardware

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello everyone.
Some of you have already heard of this fantastic Fire Emblem hack recently completed, but most have surely never heard of it since it was never advertised on FEUniverse, apparently for moral reasons completely unrelated to the content of this game.
But as far as I am concerned, a work of art should be evaluated for its own sake, for its inherent characteristics and beyond the life and moral deviations of its author.
Going into the specifics, Andaron Saga is a Fe8 hack created by youtuber Mangs and a team of talented developers and artists, with the ambition to surpass the official GBA titles in quality of execution. Since I don't have Discord apk and don't want to register anyway, I downloaded the final patch from YouTube.

Well this title, as far as I could see during the first chapters played, is definitely a colossal product, in terms of the complexity of the plot, the characterization of the protagonists, the amount of dialogue present, the originality of battle animations and anime artwork. One of the best FE hacks for GBA ever, if not the best ever: but this I will have to confirm as I delve into its enchanted realm.
Anyway, I will let you judge for yourselves whether I am exaggerating.

The issue is as follows: playing it initially from slot-2 of a DS Lite, via Supercard SD, ran smoothly until the second map (ch.2), and then glitches showed up: the 2 Vikings deserting their compatriots (2 green NPC units) do not appear in the map. Then, after the first two supporting dialogues, the third one freezes the console with unbearable hissing. Nevertheless one manages to finish the map avoiding the latter. But after the ch.2x title, the console freezes on a black screen.

On the other hand, using a DSi (SD-slot, TwilightMenu++) via GBARunner2 (hicode build) all these glitches don't occur and it works perfectly (provided you use the no-autosave patches created by yours truly, which eliminate the horizontal black lines and creaking sound produced by autosave) at least up to where I am now.

Ultimately, I would like to know whether the issues mentioned are due to the limitations of the hardware (limitations thus overcome by the features of this hack) or of the Supercard SD: but I point out that all the other hacks I have finished (Vision Quest, Host of Dark, Terror of Forest, Sword Requiem, Code of Black Knights and others) had no problem with it.

Has anyone tried it with EZ-Flash or EverDrive gba? Have you encountered these or other problems? Also let me know what you all think about this game.

Thanks for your attention.

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: assassinz

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone.
Some of you have already heard of this fantastic FE hack recently completed, but most have surely never heard of it since it was never advertised on FEUniverse, apparently for moral reasons completely unrelated to the content of this game.
But as far as I am concerned, a work of art should be evaluated for its own sake, for its inherent characteristics and beyond the life and moral deviations of its author.
Going into the specifics, Andaron Saga is a Fe8 hack created by youtuber Mangs and a team of talented developers and artists, with the ambition to surpass the official GBA titles in quality of execution. Since I don't have Discord apk and don't want to register anyway, I downloaded the final patch from YouTube.

Well this title, as far as I could see during the first chapters played, is definitely a colossal product, in terms of the complexity of the plot, the characterization of the protagonists, the amount of dialogue present, the originality of battle animations and anime artwork. One of the best FE hacks for GBA ever, if not the best ever: but this I will have to confirm as I delve into its enchanted realm.
Anyway, I will let you judge for yourselves whether I am exaggerating.

The issue is as follows: playing it initially from slot-2 of a DS Lite, via Supercard SD, ran smoothly until the second map (ch.2), and then glitches showed up: the 2 Vikings deserting their compatriots (2 green NPC units) do not appear in the map. Then, after the first two supporting dialogues, the third one freezes the console with unbearable hissing. Nevertheless one manages to finish the map avoiding the latter. But after the ch.2x title, the console freezes on a black screen.

On the other hand, using a DSi (SD-slot, TwilightMenu++) via GBARunner2 (hicode build) all these glitches don't occur and it works perfectly (provided you use the no-autosave patches created by yours truly, which eliminate the horizontal black lines and creaking sound produced by autosave) at least up to where I am now.

Ultimately, I would like to know whether the issues mentioned are due to the limitations of the hardware (limitations thus overcome by the features of this hack) or of the Supercard SD: but I point out that all the other hacks I have finished (Vision Quest, Host of Dark, Terror of Forest, Sword Requiem, Code of Black Knights and others) had no problem with it.

Has anyone tried it with EZ-Flash or EverDrive gba? Have you encountered these or other problems? Also let me know what you all think about this game.

Thanks for your attention.
I'm actually an aquatance of mangs and i can say that this game is really good i beaten it 8 times and still love it.

Reactions: Nikokaro

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
'm actually an aquatance of mangs and i can say that this game is really good i beaten it 8 times and still love it.
I see. Eight times? You obviously have a lot of free time on your hands. Anyway this has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I was asking about the full compatibility of this Fe hack with the various GBA flashcarts.

Meanwhile, I also beat it on DSi via GBARunner2, but I got to the normal ending (ch.31) since I still didn't know the conditions to get to the true ending (ch.32) by missing to recruit Baudimon's cousin.
And I must admit that this title is truly of sublime quality, far superior to Vision Quest, Code of Black Knights, Sacred Echoes and many other famous and good hacks. If you don't believe it, I recommend all F.E. fans to play it to the end and then give me your opinion.
In the meantime, I am waiting for someone to tell me whether via GBA flashcarts has the flaws mentioned at the beginning of the thread. Thank you.

Note: As many of you may know this game has been banned from FEUniverse and incredibly is even forbidden mentioning and discussing it, this is for reasons regarding the moral conduct of the project director, reasons completely unrelated to the execution of the hack. I tried several times to discuss it on that site, but they would not listen to reason and I even risked being banned, as absurd as that sounds. I was deeply disappointed about this!

Last edited by Nikokaro,
Reactions: plasturion

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Recently I beated via DSi, TWL + gbarunner2 FE: The Sacred Echoes it's a demake of 3ds Shadows of Valentia. It worked just fine, i encounter only one graphical glitches on bestiary animation. But overall it was good, sadly you can't farm your characters and promote to next class etc when you beat the game once. And now I'm playing another romhack of FE8 called Vision Quest. It's also working great with your no autosaving patch. Maybe after that I'll try Andaron Saga. It's cool that both hacks have life meter on sprites and speach boobles when characters are ready to talk. Characters are also moving faster on the board plus you can set other options of game mode at the begining. Techinally whith all that improvements it looks like the best FE on GBA. However PCM sounds on gbrunner2 sounds quite odd, I wonder if is fixable, but with no autosave patch is less annoying.

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have tested it via my phone and it works fine and i got donor carts for gba and it works perfectly as for rom cards my efa cart runs it noproblem as does my supercard dstwo but i prefer using gba hardware
Post automatically merged:

actually on sacred echoes it is possible to farm xp on the world map try the shrine level

Last edited by CaliousKai,

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yeah I know that, It's funny that swordmaster can change class again to the base one - villager making him really strong. But on the last few chapters sidequests are over. I finished last chapter in 8 turns so units were quite strong enough to deal with the main boss in two moves. However you know, i expected when the game is completed I can save the game and keep my farmed units but maybe I just expected too much, all levels would be too easy next time. I only wandered to what class i could promote magican with a sword (Delthea), cause she was agitable at the end despite I farmed her in several dangeons.
----
Played a Vision Quest a bit and I don't have a luck in rising units by farming them by RNG, stats are not growing fast as in the Sacred Echoes. Foes are more overpowered resulting i cant fight back the spleepcasters in one move at 1-E chapter. Thieves quickly grab all the goodies from the cheasts, before I send there any usful unit. It's all making this game to demanding, needs to check too much save and restore saves or even replay a chapter in case to save a unit. Difficulty is like a previous gba games, and reminds me why actually don't get too enjoyable. However I like some characters, Lera's trashtalk is fun, main character is not a prince. Music is also quite ok.
I played few chapters of Andaron Saga and I just didn't like it. Many characters randomly appears on the map at the beginig, they are introduced too quickly. On the 2nd chapter you need to have a talk from one side map to another one running fast by the main character avoiding the middle map. Characters also could be better. I like this game has intro, but fanarts are.. well not in my taste. Custom animations during battle are getting slows down on DSi and GBArunner2. Maybe I should take a break for comming back to another hack. FE is a time consumer so maybe that's why. Sacred Echoes as for dificulty level is most enjoyable. The idea of taking a side quests for framing units, recorevable units, two groups you can switch and one supply it's a pretty idea, plus you can set many modes at the begining. However as for the story, it's not bad, but Vision Quest seems better.

Last edited by plasturion,

CaliousKai

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see. Eight times? You obviously have a lot of free time on your hands. Anyway this has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I was asking about the full compatibility of this Fe hack with the various GBA flashcarts.

Meanwhile, I also beat it on DSi via GBARunner2, but I got to the normal ending (ch.31) since I still didn't know the conditions to get to the true ending (ch.32) by missing to recruit Baudimon's cousin.
And I must admit that this title is truly of sublime quality, far superior to Vision Quest, Code of Black Knights, Sacred Echoes and many other famous and good hacks. If you don't believe it, I recommend all F.E. fans to play it to the end and then give me your opinion.
In the meantime, I am waiting for someone to tell me whether via GBA flashcarts has the flaws mentioned at the beginning of the thread. Thank you.

Note: As many of you may know this game has been banned from FEUniverse and incredibly is even forbidden mentioning and discussing it, this is for reasons regarding the moral conduct of the project director, reasons completely unrelated to the execution of the hack. I tried several times to discuss it on that site, but they would not listen to reason and I even risked being banned, as absurd as that sounds. I was deeply disappointed about this!
actually, some of the posts were faked. trying to defame my friend im not saying my friend is innocent nobody is a " compete goody too shoes" but outright banning anymention of this very impressive mod is just retarded. I'd make a forum to discuss any mod just ban any snowflakes/simps for the altered story others spun about my friend
Post automatically merged:

actually, some of the posts were faked. trying to defame my friend im not saying my friend is innocent nobody is a " compete goody too shoes" but outright banning anymention of this very impressive mod is just retarded. I'd make a forum to discuss any mod just ban any snowflakes/simps for the altered story others spun about my friend and the eight times was because i was a beta tester and i fixed a few bugs myself

Nikokaro

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, as time went by I forgot to update this thread with my recent findings, but the previous post, although off-topic, reminded me this.
It really seems that the problem was solely with the Supercard SD, and in particular with the way its client software patches the rom to activate the restart and save states functions. In fact, by only allowing normal saves without the above, everything seems to work smoothly and without graphic issues, but you can only save via the clunky "quick power cycle" method. 😒
I am writing this in case anyone is interested in playing it on Supercard SD; as for me, I finished this hack some time ago on GBARunner2 (hicode), reaching however only the normal ending and not the true ending, and I confirm that it is in my opinion the best Fe8 hack ever. So much so that I played it all in one go because its storyline literally "nailed" me to the DSi screen, while regarding Vision Quest and Sacred Echoes, I barely finished them along a wide span of time. 🤷

As for the interesting topic of the unfair contempt for this hack and the attempt to erase its existence on FEUniverse, this would deserve a special thread, especially regarding the relationship between a work of art (evaluable in its own right) and ethical conduct of its author (which does not affect the value of the former in the slightest), but I'm afraid that this unfortunately interests a small number of people, so I will not waste time or effort on this, unless others show interest in the topic.
Greetings. 😉

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto