pgattic

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pgattic.github.io
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys great job so far on this! The new GUI is awesome! I just had some sort-of far-fetched ideas for features of this.

1. Letting gbarunner2 launch from the slot2 button in the boot menu on the DS and Lite (like instead of "there is no GBA card in Slot-2") (this one seems impossible to me but maybe its possible?)

2. Gbarunner2 reading and using the personal settings for top-screen or bottom-screen GBA display in DS and Lite

3. A patcher for GBA roms that turns them into .nds files that, when launched, open gbarunner2 with the instruction reopen the patched GBA rom, this time as a GBA game, ignoring the previously patched instructions during emulation/hypervision. This makes it so that people can directly open the GBA roms into the hypervisor from the flashcard's menu

Reactions: Ziko

Ziko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello guys great job so far on this! The new GUI is awesome! I just had some sort-of far-fetched ideas for features of this.

1. Letting gbarunner2 launch from the slot2 button in the boot menu on the DS and Lite (like instead of "there is no GBA card in Slot-2") (this one seems impossible to me but maybe its possible?)

2. Gbarunner2 reading and using the personal settings for top-screen or bottom-screen GBA display in DS and Lite

3. A patcher for GBA roms that turns them into .nds files that, when launched, open gbarunner2 with the instruction reopen the patched GBA rom, this time as a GBA game, ignoring the previously patched instructions during emulation/hypervision. This makes it so that people can directly open the GBA roms into the hypervisor from the flashcard's menu

I definately would want the third option as then I could use the key reset on my R4 avoiding the hassle of cutting off and on the system when I'm done playing a game and then perhaps sleep mode works saving the battery as it currently doesn't when I shut my DS Lite.

Reactions: SummonerArthur

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I definately would want the third option as then I could use the key reset on my R4 avoiding the hassle of cutting off and on the system when I'm done playing a game and then perhaps sleep mode works saving the battery as it currently doesn't when I shut my DS Lite.
Right, sleep mode is also a thing I should properly support.

GayCoonie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is this likely to ever run most games at full speed, or are we at about the limit of a GBA hypervisor on the DS? Don't get me wrong, this project is very impressive as-is, I'm just wondering if it has very much more potential, or if it's about tapped.

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is this likely to ever run most games at full speed, or are we at about the limit of a GBA hypervisor on the DS? Don't get me wrong, this project is very impressive as-is, I'm just wondering if it has very much more potential, or if it's about tapped.
Well, there's at least one thing I can still do that might potentially provide some speedup. I'm gonna try that soon, because I now managed to make space in memory to do it.

Z0287yyy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hello Gericom, I like gbarunner2 much more.
Here I post a require, would you implement swap screen function?
As my ndsl only has bottom screen, and this function is implemented in nesDS and lameboy, I can play them in my NDSL (bottom screen).

Many thanks.

IMG_20190625_181302.jpg

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello Gericom, I like gbarunner2 much more.
Here I post a require, would you implement swap screen function?
As my ndsl only has bottom screen, and this function is implemented in nesDS and lameboy, I can play them in my NDSL (bottom screen).

Many thanks.

View attachment 171251
I'll implement that once I implement the settings menu (with persistent settings). There was such an option in the old menu by pressing L or so on the rom select menu.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note, I tried something new to get some more speedup. It's a bit experimental still, cause it involves changes to the core part of gbarunner2, so some testing is needed to ensure everything still works as it should and if there are noticable improvements. I saw that the glitching in the intro of donkey kong 3 is gone at least. The attached rom is an arm7dldi_wramicache build of commit 6084943 from the feature/newabort2 branch. It also has implemented gameboy channels 1 and 2 which I merged to master before, but didn't release yet.

Attachments

• GBARunner2.zip
    55.7 KB · Views: 363

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I'll implement that once I implement the settings menu (with persistent settings). There was such an option in the old menu by pressing L or so on the rom select menu.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On another note, I tried something new to get some more speedup. It's a bit experimental still, cause it involves changes to the core part of gbarunner2, so some testing is needed to ensure everything still works as it should and if there are noticable improvements. I saw that the glitching in the intro of donkey kong 3 is gone at least. The attached rom is an arm7dldi_wramicache build of commit 6084943 from the feature/newabort2 branch. It also has implemented gameboy channels 1 and 2 which I merged to master before, but didn't release yet.

Hello. :)

Tested this Build with TWiLight v8.5.0 on DSi.

- Mario Kart Super Circuit works perfect - fast loading and Menu behavior.:yaysp:
- Super Mario Advance 4 - Super Mario Bros. 3 - NO LONGER Save corrupt Message on startup/on first Boot now Language select possbile on FIRST starrt.:yaysp: (no MUSIC in Game because of Test Build I think).

Great job my friend !!!

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tested your build on my DSi XL.
Harry Potter and the prisoner of azkaban now has a an even slower intro. The composer said in a tweet that he had nearly all the resources available for the intro music so maybe it is more complex to play it full speed. Battles still lag when selecting/acting a spell.
Harry Potter and the goblet of fire still has the flickering in the intro and garbled audio it had before. Other than that it runs at full speed.
Dokapon still runs fine except some minor glitches that existed before that look like disabled vsync on a pc and one soundeffect is missing when entering battle.
Sims bustin out runs pretty good, some minor cracking in the audio but other than that fully playable.
Minish Cap runs fine but some soundeffects have a noticeable delay.
Lag on the Mother 3 naming screen is now pretty much gone, doesn't crash during the intro but after it now.
Pokemon firered still only boots when SRAM patched, but crashes after intro now.
Ruby still doesn't boot even when SRAM patched.
Final Fantasy VI still displays some kind of warning when started, but runs fine otherwise.
Advance Wars seems to work fine except the garbled start menu background, but doesn't pertain the save till the next boot.

Last edited by Wuigi,

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello. :)

Tested this Build with TWiLight v8.5.0 on DSi.

- Mario Kart Super Circuit works perfect - fast loading and Menu behavior.:yaysp:
- Super Mario Advance 4 - Super Mario Bros. 3 - NO LONGER Save corrupt Message on startup/on first Boot now Language select possbile on FIRST starrt.:yaysp: (no MUSIC in Game because of Test Build I think).

Great job my friend !!!
No music in game sounds like a bad thing tbh.
Edit: It works fine for me
I tested your build on my DSi XL.
Harry Potter and the prisoner of azkaban now has a an even slower intro. The composer said in a tweet that he had nearly all the resources available for the intro music so maybe it is more complex to play it full speed. Battles still lag when selecting/acting a spell.
Harry Potter and the goblet of fire still has the flickering in the intro and garbled audio it had before. Other than that it runs at full speed.
Dokapon still runs fine except some minor glitches that existed before that look like disabled vsync on a pc and one soundeffect is missing when entering battle.
Sims bustin out runs pretty good, some minor cracking in the audio but other than that fully playable.
Minish Cap runs fine but some soundeffects have a noticeable delay.
Lag on the Mother 3 naming screen is now pretty much gone, doesn't crash during the intro but after it now.
Pokemon firered still only boots when SRAM patched, but crashes after intro now.
Ruby still doesn't boot even when SRAM patched.
Final Fantasy VI still displays some kind of warning when started, but runs fine otherwise.
Advance Wars seems to work fine except the garbled start menu background, but doesn't pertain the save till the next boot.
Advance wars saves fine for me actually.

Last edited by Gericom,

lemonxd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any sort of way to view errors on the new version? The first "new menu" release worked fine for me, however every version after that has refused to work, and now, going back to that older version that worked fine, it appears to have the same problem now? Launching a game will show the gba boot screen, but then it will hang on a white screen. I've tried reformatting my sd card, and tried bios' from 3 different websites. I'm using an r4i gold 3ds plus with wood firmware on a DS lite.

Gericom

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is there any sort of way to view errors on the new version? The first "new menu" release worked fine for me, however every version after that has refused to work, and now, going back to that older version that worked fine, it appears to have the same problem now? Launching a game will show the gba boot screen, but then it will hang on a white screen. I've tried reformatting my sd card, and tried bios' from 3 different websites. I'm using an r4i gold 3ds plus with wood firmware on a DS lite.
Problems where it hangs after the gba bios are the most confusing to me. I really have no idea what could be causing them tbh.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I managed to get some more minor speedup with some tricks. This is a arm7dldi_wramicache build of commit 09c3fb7 from feature/newabort2. Let me know if there are differences compared to the previous one.

Tested this Build with TWiLight v8.5.0 and Bootstrap v0.21.2 on two DSis.
This Version is very fast and stable.Games/Menues behavior is very smooth.:yay:

Aero the Acrobat - Rascal Rival Revenge works perfect.Save/Load ok.
Banjo + Kazooie - Grunty´s Revenge works perfect.Save/Load ok.
Final Fantasy IV seems to work until the Intro starts,after a few seconds crashes/Sound Loop.
Final Fantasy VI stays on white screen after GBA Logo animation.After pressing START game continues/starts and works perfect (Thank you to @Wuigi for the tip).Save/Load ok.
Mario Kart Super Circuit works perfect.Save/Load ok
Super Mario Advance 4 (US Rom) works perfect.Save/Load ok.
Castlevania -Aria of Sorrow works perfect.Save/Load ok.
Donkey Kong Country works perfect.Save/Load ok.
Crash Bandicoot - The huge Adventure stucks on first Text message Screen after GBA Logo animation/Sound Loop.
Tales of Phantasia crashes after the Text Message from Edward D.Morrison/Sound Loop.
Super Mario Advance 2 works perfect.Save/Load ok.
Donkey Kong Country 3 works perfect.Save/Load ok.
Legend of Spyro - New beginning works great but still the issue with empty InGame text mesages.Save/load ok.
Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past works great.Load/Save ok.Intro Screen flickers a little,then game works/screen is ok.
Legend of Spyro - Eternal Night works perfect.Save/Load ok.
Metroid Fusion works normal until Intro comes to the Metroid Serum inject Scene,there begin the game/Intro to slowdown like a Slideshow.The Game is not hung/did not crashes.

Last edited by Alexander1970,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: