Not open for further replies.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If I saw MT-Card or Sky3DS or any of the other imitators coming out with a brand-new exclusive feature, say, GBA support, or DSiWare support, THAT would be about the only thing that could redeem them as not being knock-offs of the original.
Sky3DS is an original design though - it has nothing to do with Gateway, and that's also why it doesn't have Gateway's awesome feature set. It's different hardware. Unless you mean immitating concepts, Sky came up with an original design of their own. It's a very flawed design, but it's their own.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're not sure of the nature of this tech, gtaking112. For all we know, they might just be emulating a cartridge, which means no enhanced features whatsoever.

If it is a kernel-level exploit though, I can't help but wonder what that means for ssspwn. For all intents and purposes, that'll give everyone an option to use homebrew on 9.0.x, rendering smealum's work... obsolete, really.
You know what that means. He's going to put a delay on top of the delay.

Reactions: Margen67

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
These few months have been extremely booming as of late in the 3DS hacking movement. Can't wait to see where it will go.
SSSPwn is coming as well either next week or in 2 weeks,

EDIT: I am surprised that a certain member has not commented yet. I'm sure he will recognize himself. XD

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dsiware support would be possible? Don't think even ds flashcarts have dsiware support.

That's the point. Releasing a cart capable of playing 3DS ROMs is nothing new, at this point. I would be impressed if any company competing with Gateway were able to do something that Gateway could not.

Think back to the DS scene. Until the DSTwo came out, pretty much all cards were essentially the same thing. The only real 'innovation' that appeared after R4 and Wood was RTS, and only a handful of carts had it. But, the ones that DID were very high-quality, and I have yet to see a cloned cart that had RTS.

If Sky3DS can do ANYTHING that Gateway cannot, that will be the only thing that separates them from the other copycats.

Reactions: Margen67 and cvskid

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky 3DS isn't a copycat as its essentially just a multicart where you choose the games, while gateway and its clones are flashcarts. Sky 3DS is obviously inferior to what Gateway can do with the current exception of working on any firmware, but when Gateway gets this update, a product like Sky 3DS will become obsolete (assuming everything goes swimmingly). But I dunno, I can kind of see a small appeal to Sky 3DS, picture a younger brother or nephew or something with a 3DS and you want to get him a really cool present, but are worried about what might happen if he had an actual flashcart and if he's not careful you worry he could ruin his entire console, so you instead get him a Sky 3DS, load it up with 10 games you think he'll love and give it to him, you'll have nothing to worry about and he'd love it. I know thats a very limited appeal, but there may be similar instances out there where someone might want to get such a product.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS is an original design though - it has nothing to do with Gateway, and that's also why it doesn't have Gateway's awesome feature set. It's different hardware. Unless you mean immitating concepts, Sky came up with an original design of their own. It's a very flawed design, but it's their own.

I get that, but, it's only got two features that differentiate it from Gateway, with one major, major drawback (until it is bypassed, which I am confident that it will be). Aside from that, both cards do one thing: boot 3DS ROMs.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sky 3DS isn't a copycat as its essentially just a multicart where you choose the games, while gateway and its clones are flashcarts. Sky 3DS is obviously inferior to what Gateway can do with the current exception of working on any firmware, but when Gateway gets this update, a product like Sky 3DS will become obsolete (assuming everything goes swimmingly). But I dunno, I can kind of see a small appeal to Sky 3DS, picture a younger brother or nephew or something with a 3DS and you want to get him a really cool present, but are worried about what might happen if he had an actual flashcart and if he's not careful you worry he could ruin his entire console, so you instead get him a Sky 3DS, load it up with 10 games you think he'll love and give it to him, you'll have nothing to worry about and he'd love it. I know thats a very limited appeal, but there may be similar instances out there where someone might want to get such a product.
It's exactly as you say - the sky3DS is good for when you just want to stick 10 games on it and get on with your life without worring about firmware, EmuNAND, SysNAND, exploits etc. - if you want a full-blown solution with all the benefits of Homebrew, NAND dumping, cheat engines and whatnot, you simply need a Gateway. Two different products for two different customers. I hope Gateway pulls off 9.0.x well, it's a more all-encompassing product. With that being said, I can also see syk3DS still staying around if they seriously slash their prices. Even with 9.0.x support on Gateway, paying a few bucks for 10 games wouldn't be a biggy for me, rather a minor inconvenience. That is, unless they somehow update the cart to remove the limitation, in which case they're back in business.

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

Idaho

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I wonder if this new exploit will have the same capabilities as the 4.5 one, this exploit seems a bit limited for now but so was the Gateway when it launched...

Jiro2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seems an odd coincidence that this news comes out right after Sky3DS. I wonder if Gateway is copying Sky3DS, or if Gateway had a 9.0 exploit all along but the pressure of competition forced them to release now (just like the CFW leak forced them to release).

ATypicalSe7en

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome news which means I can stay on the latest FW for my Gold 3DS XL and leave it there ( Kinda conflicting since I want to keep at-least 1 legit and updated) while keeping my blue Xl on 4.5. Now I wait with finger crossed in my fantasy world for the announcement of the N3DS Zelda MM edition. Now I am wondering should I buy a second Gateway card........

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It seems an odd coincidence that this news comes out right after Sky3DS. I wonder if Gateway is copying Sky3DS, or if Gateway had a 9.0 exploit all along but the pressure of competition forced them to release now (just like the CFW leak forced them to release).
I don't think there's even a shadow of a doubt that this is exactly what happened. :P

Reactions: CraddaPoosta

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Again, Sky 3DS isn't exploiting anything, Sky 3DS is simply essentially a multicart, there is nothing for Gateway to copy from Sky 3DS.

Having said that, it is possible that the Sky 3DS pushed Gateway to reveal that they have been working on a new exploit for the current firmwares as Gateway may not have planned to reveal that yet, but the fact that some people may be deciding to pick up a Sky 3DS since they think they'd never be able to use Gateway, has pushed Gateway to say, "Hey wait up! We do have what you're looking for, just give us a little more time, hold off on buying that Sky 3DS and consider us instead, we can do so much more for you."

Reactions: ATypicalSe7en

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there's even a shadow of a doubt that this is exactly what happened. :P

The fact that it is possible to install .cia files to the SD card sans Gateway kind of proves that. Why would Gateway want to make it possible for people to install ROMs without needing their card at all?

And that's the crux of the entire matter. Because some people are aware of the fact that a pure software mod IS possible, that's why there is an inflated and unjustified sense of entitlement from the community.

I'd happily donate twenty bucks to any modder or developer who released a software-only exploit that allowed me to do what Gateway does. I HAVE donated to modders and devs. I don't know if many of the people complaining about Gateway would do the same.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Again, Sky 3DS isn't exploiting anything, Sky 3DS is simply essentially a multicart, there is nothing for Gateway to copy from 3DS.

Having said that, it is possible that the Sky 3DS pushed Gateway to reveal that they have been working on a new exploit for the current firmwares as Gateway may not have planned to reveal that yet, but the fact that some people may be deciding to pick up a Sky 3DS since they think they'd never be able to use Gateway, has pushed Gateway to say, "Hey wait up! We do have what you're looking for, just give us a little more time, hold off on buying that Sky 3DS and consider us instead, we can do so much more for you."
And how do you know that Gateway isn't spoofing a cartridge as well on 9.0.x? Notice how they tell 4.5 users to stay on 4.5 firmware and 4.5+ users to update to 9.0.20 - perhaps those two "modes" are different?

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And how do you know that Gateway isn't spoofing a cartridge as well on 9.0.x? Notice how they tell 4.5 users to stay on 4.5 firmware and 4.5+ users to update to 9.0.20 - perhaps those two "modes" are different?

I hadn't considered that, if that does turn out to be the case, then I'd say fuck it, I want the full features of Gateway, not diet Gateway.

Reactions: Margen67 and Pawed

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I hadn't considered that, if that does turn out to be the case, then I'd say fuck it, I want the full features of Gateway, not diet Gateway.
I'm putting on my skeptic's hat and I'll wait for Gateway to actually release their update before making a judgement. Like I said in another thread, you can't boot your flashcart on a promise. Once I see the feature set, I'll have an educated opinion.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm putting on my skeptic's hat and I'll wait for Gateway to actually release their update before making a judgement. Like I said in another thread, you can't boot your flashcart on a promise. Once I see the feature set, I'll have an educated opinion.

Like I said, only if thats the case will I say fuck it. Until then, I'll wait anxiously and patiently to see what it can and can not do.

andzalot55

I'm very delicious. mmmm.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi I'm new to the Nintendo 2DS and I was planning on buying one this week. I also plan on buying a flash card but I need help. Deciding on Sky3DS or Gateway.
All I know is that Sky3ds is more friendly than Gateway (IMO) but I just want to be sure.

I want to know if the current gateway supports online and local multiplayer.

Also I was wondering if both flash cards will support the new smash 3ds on the wii u?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: how are you guys rolling dice?