Status
Not open for further replies.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why Gateway is getting any hate. I think people are just too used to getting free or super cheap mods for their consoles, and a lot of people just expect (read: demand) a free exploit to be made available eventually, and any company that wants to get paid for their work are a bunch of money-grubbing bastards.

Makes zero sense. The entitlement complex of many pirates just baffles me. I wonder how many people whining about Gateway have ever made a donation to the homebrew and exploit developers who make this all possible.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Although in literal terms, yes.
But they are not using any software or hardware flaw of the 3DS. They are just going in the root of original 3DS cartridges, giving you the choice of picking 10 games that you want to put on.

Exactly, the fact is, any system with games that are cartridges and not discs would be able to have a product similar to Sky 3DS. In fact there already are similar products for the NES, SNES, and N64.

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think its a new separate exploit because Sky3DS works on all firmwares 5.x - 8.x included) while Gateway's supossedly doesn't. Also, if their new update was strictly emulation, it would require a hardware switch they dont have.

offtopic: GET READY FOR THE "NEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW R4I DELUXE SUPER MEGA ULTRA TEAM, HYPER FORCE GO!... with some ramble pak " all bundled with hannakah packaging.

Pawed

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
XP
Country
India
My doubt is that, if nintendo release a new firmware, 9-3 or 10.0 and block this exploit, it will be lost forever, otherwise when you have a 3DS 1.0-4.0 you still can update using a retail cart to 4.1-4.5

I'm pretty sure Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire will come with 9.2... so maybe not ;)

I think its a new separate exploit because Sky3DS works on all firmwares 5.x - 8.x included) while Gateway's supossedly doesn't. Also, if their new update was strictly emulation, it would require a hardware switch they dont have.

offtopic: GET READY FOR THE "NEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW R4I DELUXE SUPER MEGA ULTRA TEAM, HYPER FORCE GO!... with some ramble pak " all bundled with hannakah packaging.

Kwanzaa packaging is better ;)

Reactions: Loko4

Deleted member 473940

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Exactly, the fact is, any system with games that are cartridges and not discs would be able to have a product similar to Sky 3DS. In fact there already are similar products for the NES, SNES, and N64.

Yep. If I remember correctly, Crown3DS had the same concept?
I suppose they didnt find a way of putting more than 1 game at a time and disappeared for a while. Resurfaced as Sky3DS? Lol.. All assumptions and guesses.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't get why Gateway is getting any hate. I think people are just too used to getting free or super cheap mods for their consoles, and a lot of people just expect (read: demand) a free exploit to be made available eventually, and any company that wants to get paid for their work are a bunch of money-grubbing bastards.

Makes zero sense. The entitlement complex of many pirates just baffles me. I wonder how many people whining about Gateway have ever made a donation to the homebrew and exploit developers who make this all possible.

You must have forgotten when Gateway had its product brick people's 3DSs through other flashcarts that stole the gateway architecture, and even a few reported cases of its own actual product as well.

It's been awhile since this happened, and I'm finally willing to trust Gateway again, especially with news like this, but I'm still wary, and I completely understand why one may hate Gateway.

Reactions: cvskid

X_Frost

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As to how gateway will allow the use of 9.x Firmware
Maybe what happens is that with the 1 game limit, we use devmenu from gateway and then install from the SD slot?

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You must have forgotten when Gateway had its product brick people's 3DSs through other flashcarts that stole the gateway architecture, and even a few reported cases of its own actual product as well.

It's been awhile since this happened, and I'm finally willing to trust Gateway again, especially with news like this, but I'm still wary, and I completely understand why one may hate Gateway.

I was around for BrickGate. Out of more than 150 confirmed Gateway owners who use GBATemp, I believe that four legitimate bricks were confirmed, and [USER]gamesquest1[/USER] was able to reliably replicate the brick whenever he wanted to, using his hardware-modded 3DS.

The number of affected users was incredibly low as compared to the butthurt and outrage that stemmed from it. No one has been bricked by Gateway in months and months.

I have never regretted my purchase.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was around for BrickGate. Out of more than 150 confirmed Gateway owners who use GBATemp, I believe that four legitimate bricks were confirmed, and [USER]gamesquest1[/USER] was able to reliably replicate the brick whenever he wanted to, using his hardware-modded 3DS.

The number of affected users was incredibly low as compared to the butthurt and outrage that stemmed from it. No one has been bricked by Gateway in months and months.

4 legit cases is 4 too many, plus those that bought other flashcarts may not have had the slightest clue they had stolen the Gateway architecture and even if they did they would have no reason to believe that they could get screwed over just because they bought one, I think most would agree. I can't just be like, oh it only happened to very few people so I can forgive these guys for making it a thing where my expensive little handheld can become a useless piece of crap.

Like I said, I'm willing to trust Gateway again, as you said nothing has happened since then. But clearly the company that makes them has made some poor decisions in the past, and thats what worries me a bit.

misterb98

Moral Gateway User. Wat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

This is true. In fact, before I got my gateway, I hardmodded my XL so I could use neimod's region free. It actually bricked once, but the pi program fixed it. Good work all around there.

Good Mediocre times... :)

In other news, I am really hoping Nintendo doesn't patch this exploit or whatever it is, I really want it to be compatible with the US New 3ds!

Runehasa

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am guessing 4.5< Will mean no Emunand and Emunand is more likely to be supported through future firmware updates. Hence why those of us on 4.5 should stay there. (Only speculation)

D

Deleted-355425

I am guessing 4.5< Will mean no Emunand and Emunand is more likely to be supported through future firmware updates. Hence why those of us on 4.5 should stay there. (Only speculation)

yup this will work well until we hit the games that are N3DS exclusive because of the controls added in the new hardware.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
4 legit cases is 4 too many, plus those that bought other flashcarts may not have had the slightest clue they had stolen the Gateway architecture and even if they did they would have no reason to believe that they could get screwed over just because they bought one, I think most would agree. I can't just be like, oh it only happened to very few people so I can forgive these guys for making it a thing where my expensive little handheld can become a useless piece of crap.

Like I said, I'm willing to trust Gateway again, as you said nothing has happened since then. But clearly the company that makes them has made some poor decisions in the past, and thats what worries me a bit.

The way I look at it, any person who decides to use any kind of circumvention software or exploit is assuming all personal responsibility for any negative outcome. Granted, I can see the point about the questionable morality of a 'kill switch' to prevent theft from competitors (irony on high), but, someone who doesn't try to break the rules won't have anything to ever worry about.

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
My doubt is that, if nintendo release a new firmware, 9-3 or 10.0 and block this exploit, it will be lost forever, otherwise when you have a 3DS 1.0-4.0 you still can update using a retail cart to 4.1-4.5

Your original question was what game can be used to update to 9.0, which is why I suggested you update via Wifi now to 9.2, as your question gives the impression you are on POST (above) 4.x.

If you read GW's announcement, stay on 4.5 and never update, if you have a 4.5 console. If you have anything higher than 4.5 then by all means update to 9.2, as 9.3..........on so on may never be exploitable, so who knows? It's a waiting game like any other scene drama, with cat and mouse chases with devs and nintendo. So in a nutshell, update to the latest firmware today if you own a higher than 4.5 console.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The way I look at it, any person who decides to use any kind of circumvention software or exploit is assuming all personal responsibility for any negative outcome. Granted, I can see the point about the questionable morality of a 'kill switch' to prevent theft from competitors (irony on high), but, someone who doesn't try to break the rules won't have anything to ever worry about.

I'm not saying that using a product not licensed by Nintendo is a smart thing to do. But I am saying that there have been a LOT of products like Gateway over the years, and even though you risk bricking your system due to your own negligence, there had never been an instance like what Gateway did before, where your own negligence had nothing to do with the bricks due to BrickGate. Look, all I'm saying is I can see where the hate comes from, you were saying you don't get why Gateway gets hate, but it seems plain and clear to me why they might get hate. And as I said, even though I can understand the hate, and may not even fully trust the team myself, I'm still willing to give the product a chance when this update comes, but I'm going to be wary when I do.

Ra1d

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
FYI this was my response from Gateway

"We can't comment on the new 9.x features yet, this is not fully completed yet
and we do not want to speculate even if we are near.

We will soon post more news and videos on our site to give more details about
what is coming for our users.

Stay tuned and as always, enjoy!

mailto:[email protected]

--

> Awesome news I am so glad I invested in a gateway card. If you could please
> clarify a bit though we at gbatemp would greatly appreciate it.
> 1. Is there any specific reason for us to stay on 4.5 if we are already
> there. Will there be less features for those on 9.x?
> 2. Will there be any kind of limit on roms per an sd card?
> 3. Mainly what is the difference for those of us on 4.5 and the rest on 9.x

Cool, keep us updated if they respond =)

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not saying that using a product not licensed by Nintendo is a smart thing to do. But I am saying that there have been a LOT of products like Gateway over the years, and even though you risk bricking your system due to your own negligence, there had never been an instance like what Gateway did before, where your own negligence had nothing to do with the bricks due to BrickGate. Look, all I'm saying is I can see where the hate comes from, you were saying you don't get why Gateway gets hate, but it seems plain and clear to me why they might get hate. And as I said, even though I can understand the hate, and may not even fully trust the team myself, I'm still willing to give the product a chance when this update comes, but I'm going to be wary when I do.

Perhaps I should clarify. Most of the butthurt that I see regarding Gateway comes from people who don't even own a Gateway card. It's one thing if you got bricked. It's another to get fannyharmed over someone else getting bricked.

Let's just say if Nintendo ever bricked 3DS consoles because they detected software circumvention tools, or pirated software, the same people would be hating Nintendo just as hard, even if they didn't own a 3DS at all. Gateway does essentially the same thing, and they are all devils. That amuses me.

Where do we draw the line as far as what is acceptable from a company attempting to secure their intellectual property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ok see ya