Hacking Gateway 3DS "Firmware spoofing" and "multi-region"

Wiki'd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Funny....as I predicted a few pages ago the anti-piracy moralists come flocking out just as the 'this is a fake' trolls go slinking away.....Look people it takes money to make the world go round. Very few people have time to just dedicate to hacking and cracking devices without compensation. Then look at one of the last great guys that gave the scene something great for free....GeoHot who brought the original ps3 3.41 jailbreak that started the entire PS3 scene a few years ago. What did he get for his efforts.....Sony ruined his fricking life and tried to sue the crap out of him and took away all his equipment. Somehow is was settled out of court (Sony likely offered him some type of deal to leave the scene and never hack their systems again) but the guy had to fork out considerable money for legal representation and had his life disrupted for years. Realize George didn't pirate anything, didn't charge for anything, didn't do one fucking thing but figure out how to crack $ony's precious console wide open, which then the HK companies made a ton of money off of JB dongles. So don't expect to see a lot happening in the 'open' free world ever again as why take the risk. The Gateway team making money and selling their cart means they will be able to pay devs to further the project, giving us things like region free, version spoofing, multi-rom gui, higher firmware pre-loaders, shadow firmware loaders, running unsigned code....who knows what it will lead to but they have a kernel based exploit and with time it could lead to anything.

So to all the anti-piracy tightwad moralists.....go away...what the hell are you even doing here....go buy your games, update your 3DS, play online do what the 'average' consumer does and screw off....rant over!

Just a thought, wouldn't you agree that actually having some sort of barrier is better in order to ensure a healthy status of a platform despite piracy as opposed to having it wide opened? What I mean by that is while it's true Sony went overboard on keeping PS3 secure after the whole hacking fiasco, it was also probably the right thing for them to do as they were afraid of another system with prevalent piracy similar to PSP...

If you look at the devices which had an evident hit in their software sales due to piracy, you can easily see that PSP/PC/Wii are probably amongst the top of the list, and all those three devices were wide opened with just a softmod. So I believe the whole "piracy should be free because it's wrong (?)" notion works against the advocates as based on history, the systems with difficulty and a price tag to to pirate were the least affected.

Oh and by the way, I don't believe in this whole "homebrew is the reason I buy a flashcart or hack" nonsense. While an extreme minority of people might genuinely only want it for that purpose, I find it hard to believe that the excuse "I want to play the same SNES games on my 100th hacked platform" to be valid at all.

It's probably just a way to feel less guilt...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a thought, wouldn't you agree that actually having some sort of barrier is better in order to ensure a healthy status of a platform despite piracy as opposed to having it wide opened? What I mean by that is while it's true Sony went overboard on keeping PS3 secure after the whole hacking fiasco, it was also probably the right thing for them to do as they were afraid of another system with prevalent piracy similar to PSP...

If you look at the devices which had an evident hit in their software sales due to piracy, you can easily see that PSP/PC/Wii are probably amongst the top of the list, and all those three devices were wide opened with just a softmod. So I believe the whole "piracy should be free because it's wrong (?)" notion works against the advocates as based on history, the systems with difficulty and a price tag to to pirate were the least affected.

Oh and by the way, I don't believe in this whole "homebrew is the reason I buy a flashcart or hack" nonsense. While an extreme minority of people might genuinely only want it for that purpose, I find it hard to believe that the excuse "I want to play the same SNES games on my 100th hacked platform" to be valid at all.

Again, people are going to pirate and if that's the case, so be it. It's of no concern to me what people do. The region free aspect is what I find to be appealing; anyone who thinks region locking is a good idea needs to be pimp slapped.

If people don't like the Gateway or another other device like it, that's their opinion, but I don't believe said opinions should be forced on others.

Reactions: reaper527

Slowking

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sadly I'm on 5.1...
Hope the Gateway team actually comes through with their promise that they'll support higher firmwares eventually. I really don't have the money for another 3DS at the moment.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sadly I'm on 5.1...
Hope the Gateway team actually comes through with their promise that they'll support higher firmwares eventually. I really don't have the money for another 3DS at the moment.

I'm in the same boat, just gotta keep on waiting, they're bound to do something to help those who don't have 4.5 3DS's ;)

Praxedes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have a classic 3DS on Ver. 6.2.0-12U I still have some games to beat! But I am interested in upgrading to a XL with and old firmware so I can benefit of the Gateway features. My question is.My SD card(Wich I have lots of digital games) of this Updated 3DS will work without asking to update on a 3DS XL with 4.2? Another question, is it possible to play oficial games from another region in gateway mode?( After the Region Free update)?

f0rCe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have a classic 3DS on Ver. 6.2.0-12U I still have some games to beat! But I am interested in upgrading to a XL with and old firmware so I can benefit of the Gateway features. My question is.My SD card(Wich I have lots of digital games) of this Updated 3DS will work without asking to update on a 3DS XL with 4.2? Another question, is it possible to play oficial games from another region in gateway mode?( After the Region Free update)?

First part of the question:

No, it's not possible, because you can only use the Games on your SD Card on the Device you bought them. If you want to Play 'em on your new 3DS XL you have to download them again in the eShop -> FW-Update! But it's not that bad i guess, because you can Play the (downloaded) 'backups' on your 3DS XL! ;)

Second part of the question:

We still don't know how the Region Free Update is gonna work, so no one's able to answer, except the Gateway Team! :D

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Homebrew and development?

This card has none of that.

This is indeed a card for weak minds, for it only allows for piracy. Oh and this is not technology. It only hinders it because the devs who will really innovate will get no compensation for their work.

Now region free is awesome, don't get me wrong, but this isn't like the region freeing CDs for the Wii, whose only purpose was to free the region.

Until we don't get some actual homebrew running in the 3DS, all of this topics will only be people believing they are entitled to other people's efforts..

Just admit you got schooled dammit.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
First part of the question:

No, it's not possible, because you can only use the Games on your SD Card on the Device you bought them. If you want to Play 'em on your new 3DS XL you have to download them again in the eShop -> FW-Update! But it's not that bad i guess, because you can Play the (downloaded) 'backups' on your 3DS XL! ;)

Not really download them again, I believe, since there is an "SD card switching" step in the process of transfering the downloaded games licenses from one 3DS to another. I've done that when I bought an XL last year, but I don't remember all the details. Both 3DSs need to be online and most likely on the latest firmwares to do the transfer. So buying a new 3DS XL with 4.5 firmware, and hoping to transfer downloaded games from a 6.2 3DS, won't work, if planning to keep the 4.5 firmware.

dehry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did the transfer last night. A part of the system transfer process is updating the firmware to the latest version.

Reactions: f0rCe

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Considering it's not possible to play official games in gateway mode now regardless of region, I doubt it. Most likely region free ROMs only.

Xellos2099

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I agree with you for the most part. Too much piracy will kill a system. Part of the reason dreamcast die so fast was because of the ease of piracy on it. Althrough I DID mod my psp mainly to play old snes, genesis etc game.

Reactions: Wiki'd

Midnight Tboy

Trophies
XP
Country
curious......have any games been tried with it that use external peripherals to check for compatibility? Main ones that spring to mind are the Skylanders games with their portal

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with you for the most part. Too much piracy will kill a system. Part of the reason dreamcast die so fast was because of the ease of piracy on it. Althrough I DID mod my psp mainly to play old snes, genesis etc game.

The Dreamcast failed because of bad marketing and the PS2 coming out the year after it was released. There is no evidence that piracy killed it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone