Hacking Gateway 3DS "Firmware spoofing" and "multi-region"

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
Well then, after almost 3 painful months of arguing people that continuously and repeatedly kept bashing at the Gateway Team, for numerous reasons, they prove themselves, ONCE AGAIN, not only not being the same as the Crown 3DS joke, and also taking the 3DS homebrew and development another step further.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that the only thing stopping a revolutionary technology, is a weak mind.

That is all.

Good day.

Tell me about it...

Reactions: WhiteMaze

alirezay

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like to play beyond the labyrinth...bu still expensive!
And a question.is it using the same exploit as neimond's?

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I have been watching way too many of these threads and participating in a few as well since June I would like to make a few observations...

1. Uhh it didn't turn out to be vaporware....yea yea yea and yes!

2. Gateway bit by bit are gaining credibility. First they said they would work out a save solution and they have and it is actually a lot like I predicted, except I thought the save file would be written from the flash cart NAND to the gateway sd card and not the 3DS sd card.....works either way.

3. They said they were working on region spoofing and they are now showing that, as well as version spoofing. Rember they also said they are exploit based and that they would be able to pull off a multi rom gui in the future....so I am starting to believe them, they are also claiming to be interested in a homebrew solution.

4. They also responded to me in email after the 4.5 announcement and said they are working on 5.x/6.x and so I am inclined to believe that they think they can get those models working.

5. People that think oh Nintendo will just engineer an entire new firmware and blow this thing up are ignorant. Building entire new firmwares is not like some quick and easy task even for Nintendo. Look at PS3.....They shut down the hack after 3.55 but 90% of the games released have been able to be patched for 3.55 and run fine (first with True Blue and now without) so even if you stayed on 3.55 you can still run latest releases.

6. Quit bitching about online.....you know the general rule and that is if you want online/eshop/updates/multiplayer then go with OFW....or do what I and others do and have one system for OFW and one for CFW. You usually can't have it all on one system.

7. If Nintendo works around the version spoofing (which I bet they will and most likely by Pokemon/Zelda) then gateway could very likely build some type of preloader like prometheus for PSP which allowed you to run games up thru like v5.x firmware on an old 3.x firmware.

The trick is people they are in and in at the kernel level...that is how they are able to trick the system to use the gateway device on the catridge slot, are able to make it dump saves to the 3DS SD card, are able to do version and region spoofing. Really on a 4.5 level system they can probably do just about anything they want once they have the time to dev and expirement. We may eventually see a shadow bios just like the jtag hack on the x360 does or the old pheonix softmod did on the xbox.....meaning your hardware is 4.5 but you are running whatever firmware it reloads. Obviously they have control of the cart slot and the SD slot so in theory they could probably get a game to load from the SD slot. Why do that as it will be cutting their own throats. Believe me like TB they are encrypting their stuff so it will take a dedicated effort for the 'open' people to hack their stuff, but like TB other Chinese knockoff companies will likely be able to clone their hardware/code easier than crack it. They will likely work on useful things like a preloader, multirom, and even running unsigned code and all that would be just peachy. Also they claim to be working on save game patching for Animal crossing which is also believable because we have seen eeprom/nand pathcing forever. Eventually they may not even need to use the NAND on their catridge and will just do the save game stuff to the gateway SD or 3DS SD directly.

At this point I would give it a 50/50 chance of ever supporting something beyond 4.5. Just because the DS part of the hack is a buffer overflow that then loads their loader file that is the kernel exploit. Kernel exploits are not easy to find and they never found one again on the X360 after M$ patched the exploit that allowed jtag and no one has ever found one again on the ps3 after 3.55. So I am guessing they have built an app that runs off their DS buffer overflow that is poke/peeking every fricking address in the 5.x/6.x bios hoping to find another hole.

All this is speculation and opinion on my part but I have been around modding oh since the beginning of time and while I am no hacker/cracker I have a pretty good understanding of how these exploits works and are uncovered. Just a fun example of how old school I am.....My frst computer that I owned was a TRS-80 COCO....It had a cartridge slot and most the early games came on cart. Initially I used a tape drive because floppy drives were too expensive and I was like 13. I figured out from schematics that you could use a piece of scotch tape on a pin on the cartridge which prevented the system from starting it. The catridge was then present in the known address space (also documented) and you could dump that address space to tape or disc and then reload it. First catridges I ever 'backed up'. Of course there was no such thing as encryption or drm then....I had older friends that worked at Radio Shack that would let me come right in and sit down and dump carts for myself (and them)....ahh the good old days!

Viva La Gateway....you guys deserve major cred and oh Nintendo sorry I love you but your 3DS now = PWNED.....old scrool all the way!

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As I have been watching way too many of these threads and participating in a few as well since June I would like to make a few observations...

2. Gateway bit by bit are gaining credibility. First they said they would work out a save solution and they have and it is actually a lot like I predicted, except I thought the save file would be written from the flash cart NAND to the gateway sd card and not the 3DS sd card.....works either way.

3. They said they were working on region spoofing and they are now showing that, as well as version spoofing. Rember they also said they are exploit based and that they would be able to pull off a multi rom gui in the future....so I am starting to believe them, they are also claiming to be interested in a homebrew solution.

4. They also responded to me in email after the 4.5 announcement and said they are working on 5.x/6.x and so I am inclined to believe that they think they can get those models working.

5. People that think oh Nintendo will just engineer an entire new firmware and blow this thing up are ignorant. Building entire new firmwares is not like some quick and easy task even for Nintendo. Look at PS3.....They shut down the hack after 3.55 but 90% of the games released have been able to be patched for 3.55 and run fine (first with True Blue and now without) so even if you stayed on 3.55 you can still run latest releases.

6. Quit bitching about online.....you know the general rule and that is if you want online/eshop/updates/multiplayer then go with OFW....or do what I and others do and have one system for OFW and one for CFW. You usually can't have it all on one system.

7. If Nintendo works around the version spoofing (which I bet they will and most likely by Pokemon/Zelda) then gateway could very likely build some type of preloader like prometheus for PSP which allowed you to run games up thru like v5.x firmware on an old 3.x firmware.

The trick is people they are in and in at the kernel level...that is how they are able to trick the system to use the gateway device on the catridge slot, are able to make it dump saves to the 3DS SD card, are able to do version and region spoofing. Really on a 4.5 level system they can probably do just about anything they want once they have the time to dev and expirement. We may eventually see a shadow bios just like the jtag hack on the x360 does or the old pheonix softmod did on the xbox.....meaning your hardware is 4.5 but you are running whatever firmware it reloads. Obviously they have control of the cart slot and the SD slot so in theory they could probably get a game to load from the SD slot. Why do that as it will be cutting their own throats. Believe me like TB they are encrypting their stuff so it will take a dedicated effort for the 'open' people to hack their stuff, but like TB other Chinese knockoff companies will likely be able to clone their hardware/code easier than crack it. They will likely work on useful things like a preloader, multirom, and even running unsigned code and all that would be just peachy. Also they claim to be working on save game patching for Animal crossing which is also believable because we have seen eeprom/nand pathcing forever. Eventually they may not even need to use the NAND on their catridge and will just do the save game stuff to the gateway SD or 3DS SD directly.

At this point I would give it a 50/50 chance of ever supporting something beyond 4.5. Just because the DS part of the hack is a buffer overflow that then loads their loader file that is the kernel exploit. Kernel exploits are not easy to find and they never found one again on the X360 after M$ patched the exploit that allowed jtag and no one has ever found one again on the ps3 after 3.55. So I am guessing they have built an app that runs off their DS buffer overflow that is poke/peeking every fricking address in the 5.x/6.x bios hoping to find another hole.

All this is speculation and opinion on my part but I have been around modding oh since the beginning of time and while I am no hacker/cracker I have a pretty good understanding of how these exploits works and are uncovered. Just a fun example of how old school I am.....My frst computer that I owned was a TRS-80 COCO....It had a cartridge slot and most the early games came on cart. Initially I used a tape drive because floppy drives were too expensive and I was like 13. I figured out from schematics that you could use a piece of scotch tape on a pin on the cartridge which prevented the system from starting it. The catridge was then present in the known address space (also documented) and you could dump that address space to tape or disc and then reload it. First catridges I ever 'backed up'. Of course there was no such thing as encryption or drm then....I had older friends that worked at Radio Shack that would let me come right in and sit down and dump carts for myself (and them)....ahh the good old days!

Viva La Gateway....you guys deserve major cred and oh Nintendo sorry I love you but your 3DS now = PWNED.....old scrool all the way!
Finally, someone who attempts to explain Gateway without some self-entitled nonsense. +1.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm glad you got a hold of the GW team and receive confirmation that 5.x and 6.x systems are on their to-do lists, so that's heartening indeed, but to make sure, I'm keeping my 3DS' WiFi off all the time, I don't even play online really And yes, the 3DS got PWNED big time. Excellent news, this is the best 3DS hacking news I've ever heard :evil::rofl2:

Nintendo, Imma let you finish, but the Gateway is one of the best flash carts of all time!

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally, someone who attempts to explain Gateway without some self-entitled nonsense. +1.

Thanks man....I just love the scene and always have....I am pretty well set in life now so usually buy whatever I want to play and even have a backlog at the moment as I just bought SMT IV and haven't even cracked the package....

At this point I am just enjoying seeing all the hater trolls go slinking back under their bridges, but next we will have the anti-pirate moralists come flocking out to denounce how evil anyone that is interested in this sort of thing is and how we will all burn in hell for eternity for even talking about it.....priceless. These are exciting times...I just wish they would get the damned Vita hacked someday soon as that is really a very powerful handheld and would make an excellent emulator/media player machine if they could get homebrew on it.

Makapaka12345

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think 6.2 possibly could run Gateway. What could happen is that instead of working on a 5.1 update, go straight to 6.1 & .2, because then you people on 5.1 could run it also, and 6.1/.2 3DS's.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm glad you got a hold of the GW team and receive confirmation that 5.x and 6.x systems are on their to-do lists, so that's heartening indeed, but to make sure, I'm keeping my 3DS' WiFi off all the time, I don't even play online really And yes, the 3DS got PWNED big time. Excellent news, this is the best 3DS hacking news I've ever heard :evil::rofl2:

Nintendo, Imma let you finish, but the Gateway is one of the best flash carts of all time!

Really for a first generation card it is pretty solid.....I mean the first DS slot 2 stuff mostly sucked balls and then went away quick.....I was overjoyed with the Supercard SD though because I bought it before DS was even out to use with GBA and then thru their patcher program they made it really solid and supported it up thru 2010, well after slot 1 cards had taken over. I still use it to this day on my old DS Lite because it lets you have both DS and GBA on it and becuase I did the slot 2 flashme hack it and it has no OS so it boots instantly....seems to me to use less power than the slot1 cards as well because I get better battery life with it than the DS2 or M3Zero. I give supercard a lot of credit as they have been around a long time and tend to support their products a long time.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think 6.2 possibly could run Gateway. What could happen is that instead of working on a 5.1 update, go straight to 6.1 & .2, because then you people on 5.1 could run it also, and 6.1/.2 3DS's.

From the looks of it, that would make the most sense, but those who updated, please turn your WiFi off ;)

Reactions: Makapaka12345

Makapaka12345

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was also thinking about how a normal DS flashcart works and how Gateway works, a normal DS flashcart like Acekard or R4i-SDHC automatically pop on the screen as a different game, where as Gateway you first have to go to Settings/Other Settings/ Profile/ Nintendo DS Profile. I know this is what activates the exploit, but imagine if the Gateway Team was able to make it so that the exploit would always activate as soon as you turn it on ("it" meaning 3DS) and then you can play the rom downloaded.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really for a first generation card it is pretty solid.....I mean the first DS slot 2 stuff mostly sucked balls and then went away quick.....I was overjoyed with the Supercard SD though because I bought it before DS was even out to use with GBA and then thru their patcher program they made it really solid and supported it up thru 2010, well after slot 1 cards had taken over. I still use it to this day on my old DS Lite because it lets you have both DS and GBA on it and becuase I did the slot 2 flashme hack it and it has no OS so it boots instantly....seems to me to use less power than the slot1 cards as well because I get better battery life with it than the DS2 or M3Zero. I give supercard a lot of credit as they have been around a long time and tend to support their products a long time.

Sounds like it was quite the card and ahead of its time, such as with the Gateway, the first real card to allow region-lock circumvention and eventually, homebrew. Props to these guys, they're awesome :P

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well then, after almost 3 painful months of arguing people that continuously and repeatedly kept bashing at the Gateway Team, for numerous reasons, they prove themselves, ONCE AGAIN, not only not being the same as the Crown 3DS joke, and also taking the 3DS homebrew and development another step further.

I think I speak for everyone when I say that the only thing stopping a revolutionary technology, is a weak mind.

That is all.

Good day.

Homebrew and development?

This card has none of that.

This is indeed a card for weak minds, for it only allows for piracy. Oh and this is not technology. It only hinders it because the devs who will really innovate will get no compensation for their work.

Now region free is awesome, don't get me wrong, but this isn't like the region freeing CDs for the Wii, whose only purpose was to free the region.

Until we don't get some actual homebrew running in the 3DS, all of this topics will only be people believing they are entitled to other people's efforts..

Schaapje82

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

I also asked them about working on 5.x support. They said they were, but could not tell how long it would take. Could be days, weeks or even months. So we have to just wait and see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    My kitty was watching me play. <3 <3 <3
    its a game that came out a few days ago. Its on Game Pass too.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, but what is the game about?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Never heard of it. Any good?
    You control a kitten. You fall out the window and have to make your way back home. Solve some light puzzles, do cat things like knock stuff over and steal things, trip people up when theyre walking, pounce on birds, complete goals/tasks etc. in the process of getting back to your home.
    +1
    I think ones enjoyment would depend on how much a person loves cats. :)
    +1
    Theres my kitty watching me play.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I'm a cat person so this game must be for me. :D
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, sounds kinda neat
    @SylverReZ It's short but adorable imo. Im a HUGE cat lover.Can be completed in a couple of hours if just going for the main goals. But can be stretched out a good deal by exploring and doing everything there is to do and see.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @RedColoredStars, like a cat gta?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Reminds me of a similar game called "Neko Atsume", similar to Nintendogs but you look after cats.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, wasnt there an official nintendogs game with cats for the 3ds?
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    ill have no wifi for a bit so see ya later
    +2
    Gross. lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Ok seeya.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I've got a fairly dark sense of humor lol.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So a man goes to the doctor because his boner wont go down. As he is laying in the hospital bed, with his thing propped up in the air, a fly is flying around and landing on the tip and bothering him, so he calls in the nurse. The nurse comes in, swats at the fly but can't quite reach it, so she climbs his boner to get better aim. After a few tries of swatting and sliding back down, she says sorry I cant get it. He says keep going, a few more tries, and I can shoot the fly down.
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Can I get his ☎️ # :shy::blush:
    +2
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    oowpf What a work out it would be to help the guy get back down to normal :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't know why pizza hut has fries now
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I don't know why pizza hut has fries now